HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Penguins - Bolts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2013, 11:14 AM
  #26
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User
 
Doctor Drej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Quiet Room
Country: United States
Posts: 10,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Kennedy+Jeffrey+3rd

for

Malone+Purcell
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
The only person I would want from Tampa Bay right now is Ryan Malone, mostly because he has chemistry with Malkin and he would fit in with this team quicker than any other person, there's familiarity there.

Not sure what it would take, but I would definitely be ok with losing a combination of Jeffrey, Tangradi, Kennedy, and 2nd round pick in 2013.

Or..

Kennedy + Tangradi + 2nd for Ryan Malone.
I'd do this one.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:42 AM
  #27
Rschmitz
Registered User
 
Rschmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tampa Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 4,607
vCash: 500
We have a very large pool top 6 forward prospects who are NHL ready. So with that in mind, I could see us dealing Connolly for DP or Malone for picks/prospects.

OP deal is fine

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:42 AM
  #28
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
On paper, the OP's idea is probably equal value. But, I'm not sure I like trading prospect for prospect in this instance. While our system is lacking on prospect wingers, I'd just as soon package a D prospect along with a first round pick to get a young guy that has had success in the NHL (example Evander Kane even though Winnipeg wouldn't do this - again, an example) instead of hoping Connolly materializes into a long term solution.

I will pass, even though its probably a fair deal.
In fairness though, teams who trade young players who've had success do so for a similar player at a different position.

Teams who trade for prospects and picks do so because they're rebuilding. Why would a rebuilding team trade a young player whose had success for two assets that might have success? Its not realistic... You either trade for potential, or be prepared to give up a player like Despres, a young defenseman whose had success, for a similar valued winger. I can't imagine Pittsburgh having much interest in dealing roster players, so that limits their options in that regard.

sparxx87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:54 AM
  #29
CC321
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Malone for Niskanen is a trade I would do. Tampa could use a RHD, and they have several NHL ready wingers they can call up to replace Malone.

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:57 AM
  #30
OCPenguin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
In fairness though, teams who trade young players who've had success do so for a similar player at a different position.

Teams who trade for prospects and picks do so because they're rebuilding. Why would a rebuilding team trade a young player whose had success for two assets that might have success? Its not realistic... You either trade for potential, or be prepared to give up a player like Despres, a young defenseman whose had success, for a similar valued winger. I can't imagine Pittsburgh having much interest in dealing roster players, so that limits their options in that regard.
JMO, the thought process is if you are trading one of your D prospects, you better be getting someone who is ready to go and make an impact. These D prospects and picks are our assets as outside of the big named guys and Despres, Sutter, Orpik, they have limited value absent Niskanen. You need immediate help, not a prospect that might need time.

Not saying its an unfair deal ... there is value. I just question if Connolly is the guy that steps in immediately and produces. Big difference in a short season as opposed to a regular 82 game slate.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:07 PM
  #31
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,581
vCash: 500
Fan of Malone, not a fan of his cap hit. Really depends on what the plan is for Crosby´s line. Cap budget wise he pretty much gets Bennett then next season and that really does not seem that sure a thing to me. Ironically I´d be way more over Malone if he was just a rental.

As for the OP, it sounds fair, but I remember some "we need F prospects, you need D prospects", let´s trade Morrow for Saad discussions with Hawks fans and it just never goes anywhere, because everyone is way too attached to their own kids.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:15 PM
  #32
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
JMO, the thought process is if you are trading one of your D prospects, you better be getting someone who is ready to go and make an impact. These D prospects and picks are our assets as outside of the big named guys and Despres, Sutter, Orpik, they have limited value absent Niskanen. You need immediate help, not a prospect that might need time.

Not saying its an unfair deal ... there is value. I just question if Connolly is the guy that steps in immediately and produces. Big difference in a short season as opposed to a regular 82 game slate.
Why? Pouliot isn't going to help the Penguins this year?

Immediate help can come via a rental at the deadline. Although Connolly is already better then Tangradi and Boychuk, this is a deal aimed more at next year and the years to follow.

Pouliot is 2 or 3 years away at the earliest. Connolly will arrive earlier, and plays a the position that the Penguins are weakest at.

This guy shoots the puck like Neal, while having a better overall skillset. He's always very versitile, he can play all 3 forward positions but he's best suited as a winger.

=

Look at the release. He's a very complete player with elite offensive skills. Needs to work on defense and play without the puck, like may young players. He scored 30 goals in the WHL as a 16 year old, first player to do so since Patrick Marleau.

Former head of NHL central scouting EJ McGuire (RIP) compared him to Peter Forsberg in the ability to dominate the game with skill and physicality.

sparxx87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:24 PM
  #33
2 Weekes Notice
Registered User
 
2 Weekes Notice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Non-traditional Land
Posts: 861
vCash: 500
OP seems reasonably fair, but I do like Connolly quite a bit so I'd lean toward no from Tampa. By no means a bad proposal though.

That said, without hijacking the thread totally, is there something around Malone for Niskanen (+ something minor like a 2nd-3rd)? I'm very interested in that - I like Malone and I think he would do well in a return to Pittsburgh, and Tampa has a pile of top 6 prospects knocking on the door but needs another younger RHD.

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:25 PM
  #34
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
OP seems reasonably fair, but I do like Connolly quite a bit so I'd lean toward no from Tampa. By no means a bad proposal though.

That said, without hijacking the thread totally, is there something around Malone for Niskanen (+ something minor like a 2nd-3rd)? I'm very interested in that - I like Malone and I think he would do well in a return to Pittsburgh, and Tampa has a pile of top 6 prospects knocking on the door but needs another younger RHD.
They only way I`d be adding to Niskanen in that deal is if Tampa retains some $$$.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:28 PM
  #35
OCPenguin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Why? Pouliot isn't going to help the Penguins this year?

Immediate help can come via a rental at the deadline. Although Connolly is already better then Tangradi and Boychuk, this is a deal aimed more at next year and the years to follow.

Pouliot is 2 or 3 years away at the earliest. Connolly will arrive earlier, and plays a the position that the Penguins are weakest at.

This guy shoots the puck like Neal, while having a better overall skillset. He's always very versitile, he can play all 3 forward positions but he's best suited as a winger.

=

Look at the release. He's a very complete player with elite offensive skills. Needs to work on defense and play without the puck, like may young players. He scored 30 goals in the WHL as a 16 year old, first player to do so since Patrick Marleau.

Former head of NHL central scouting EJ McGuire (RIP) compared him to Peter Forsberg in the ability to dominate the game with skill and physicality.

You don't understand where I'm going with it. We have a certain amount of assets to deal. The ones that we have that carry the most value, absent the ones that frankly aren't going anywhere, are D prospects and picks. That is what we use to help this team this year. We don't trade Pouliot, or Harrington or Maatta for another prospect that could be one year away. We are a franchise that is in a win now mentality with our roster.

I'm not about to wait a year for Connolly to arrive. This hording of D prospects was done for a reason. It is bad asset management to trade Pouliot for Connolly knowing you have to wait on Connolly; then be forced to trade another one of your assets like Matta and package with a first for IMMEDIATE help which is needed.


Last edited by OCPenguin: 02-11-2013 at 12:41 PM.
OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:28 PM
  #36
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,702
vCash: 500
Poor quality, but look at the skill.

sparxx87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:35 PM
  #37
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Brett Connolly for Derek Pouliot


Pittsburgh needs a winger, Connolly could be a long term option for Crosby.

I'm not all that familiar with the Bolts organization, but I don't see any high end defense prospects in the system, would they value one Pouliot?

Could this be the basis for a deal? Expand if necessary.
I think that this is a great idea for a trade, well done sparxx!

Is Pouliot the defenseman that Yzerman would want most? What type of d-man does Tampa need going forward the most?

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:46 PM
  #38
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
You don't understand where I'm going with it. We have a certain amount of assets to deal. The ones that we have that carry the most value, absent the ones that frankly aren't going anywhere, are D prospects and picks. That is what we use to help this team this year. We don't trade Pouliot, or Harrington or Maatta for another prospect that could be one year away. We are a franchise that is in a win now mentality with our roster.

I'm not about to wait a year for Connolly to arrive. This hording of D prospects was done for a reason.
Theres no pleasing you, huh?

I get that its win now, but it shouldn't just be all in for this year. With Crosby, Malkin and Letang the team has a chance to contend for the next decade. Connolly is likley to be a core peice going forward.

Your perspective seems very short sighted. The organization has a few other good prospects that could be parlayed into immediate help.

I'm with the Penguins fans who don't think Perry or Iginla are options this year. Not that they wouldn't be great pick ups, but both are likely to be rentals with the cap going down and Letang and a few other players in for raises after next year. Perry will want a long term deal north of 6 mil, Iginla is going to fetch 6m as well. Shero would be better to target Lee Stempniak who could be had for a pick, or Peter Mueller who might fetch a prospect.

The Penguins are close, they don't need to make a huge splash. It would be great, sure, but organizationally theres better options long term. They're in need of a few minor improvements.

I would bet Connolly has Zach Boychuk back on waivers in a week.

If all things are equal and we're picking today with both players on the board, Tampa uses their pick on Pouliot, Pittsburgh uses theirs on Connolly. That was my logic.

sparxx87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:58 PM
  #39
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains
 
Hans Rutherford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
You don't understand where I'm going with it. We have a certain amount of assets to deal. The ones that we have that carry the most value, absent the ones that frankly aren't going anywhere, are D prospects and picks. That is what we use to help this team this year. We don't trade Pouliot, or Harrington or Maatta for another prospect that could be one year away. We are a franchise that is in a win now mentality with our roster.

I'm not about to wait a year for Connolly to arrive. This hording of D prospects was done for a reason. It is bad asset management to trade Pouliot for Connolly knowing you have to wait on Connolly; then be forced to trade another one of your assets like Matta and package with a first for IMMEDIATE help which is needed.
Right now Connolly would probably be the best winger Crosby has had since Hossa, and would make an impact right away. He's the kind of winger that you'd deal those assets for, he's young and had tons of potential.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:40 PM
  #40
domaug*
Flahr Pahr
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Archbald, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,123
vCash: 500
i would do this (Derrick Pouliot for Brett Connolly), but i don't think the Lightning would, even though the value is pretty much equal. i say this with the belief that Pouliot is the best defenseman prospect the Pens have behind Morrow. i don't think Despres is a prospect anymore; he's ready to leave his mark on the NHL right now.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:44 PM
  #41
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 69,109
vCash: 50
Would be a lot more interested in Ryan Malone from the Lightning. What would the Bolts ask for?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:46 PM
  #42
alcanalz
whys and wherefores
 
alcanalz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,691
vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Right now Connolly would probably be the best winger Crosby has had since Hossa, and would make an impact right away. He's the kind of winger that you'd deal those assets for, he's young and had tons of potential.
How in the world is Connolly better than Kunitz?

Love Connolly, and he may very well be one day, but not today,

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:50 PM
  #43
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,731
vCash: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Maybe. But when there's a need teams are willing to pay a price. Tampa traded a good prospect in Carter Ashton for freakin' Keith Aulie last trade-deadline. Dumoulin is not much worse (if not better actually) than Despres, he's just lacking NHL experience right now. I think he'd fit like a glove and could help Tampa right off the bat.

I'd understand if they wouldn't want to do it, but I think it could be a win-win for both teams.
You act like the Aulie trade wasn't a great deal for the Lightning.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:14 PM
  #44
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains
 
Hans Rutherford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
How in the world is Connolly better than Kunitz?

Love Connolly, and he may very well be one day, but not today,
He probably wouldn't bring the physical aspects that Kunitz brings, but I think he'd bring a much better skill-set, shooting and would be able to handle the puck more than three seconds without giving it up to the other team. Than Kunitz does today. This is something Crosby really needs on his line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedmonster View Post
You act like the Aulie trade wasn't a great deal for the Lightning.
Was it really that great of a trade? Aulie just seems to be a bottom pairing defense man to me. He does bring a physical dimension to your blue-line though.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:06 PM
  #45
nwpensfan
Registered User
 
nwpensfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The 14th Tee
Country: United States
Posts: 2,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
You don't understand where I'm going with it. We have a certain amount of assets to deal. The ones that we have that carry the most value, absent the ones that frankly aren't going anywhere, are D prospects and picks. That is what we use to help this team this year. We don't trade Pouliot, or Harrington or Maatta for another prospect that could be one year away. We are a franchise that is in a win now mentality with our roster.

I'm not about to wait a year for Connolly to arrive. This hording of D prospects was done for a reason. It is bad asset management to trade Pouliot for Connolly knowing you have to wait on Connolly; then be forced to trade another one of your assets like Matta and package with a first for IMMEDIATE help which is needed.
I would seriously consider it because you are trading one valuable asset not near ready for one almost ready. Not bad asset management IMO.

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:16 PM
  #46
nwpensfan
Registered User
 
nwpensfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The 14th Tee
Country: United States
Posts: 2,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
In fairness though, teams who trade young players who've had success do so for a similar player at a different position.

Teams who trade for prospects and picks do so because they're rebuilding. Why would a rebuilding team trade a young player whose had success for two assets that might have success? Its not realistic... You either trade for potential, or be prepared to give up a player like Despres, a young defenseman whose had success, for a similar valued winger. I can't imagine Pittsburgh having much interest in dealing roster players, so that limits their options in that regard.
Agreed!

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:21 PM
  #47
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
How in the world is Connolly better than Kunitz?

Love Connolly, and he may very well be one day, but not today,
Kunitz is certainly the more refined and well rounded NHL player, but Connolly brings much more skill. Kunitz is the better NHL'er today, but I don't think it'll be long before the tables turn. Connolly brings a lot of the same intangibles that Kunitz does as well, he just needs more time to develop them at the NHL level. He's a powerforward with elite skill, thats why he's so highly touted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
He probably wouldn't bring the physical aspects that Kunitz brings, but I think he'd bring a much better skill-set, shooting and would be able to handle the puck more than three seconds without giving it up to the other team. Than Kunitz does today. This is something Crosby really needs on his line.



Was it really that great of a trade? Aulie just seems to be a bottom pairing defense man to me. He does bring a physical dimension to your blue-line though.
I agree with the first part, but comparing him to Kunitz is irrelevant, it should be to Boychuk or Tangradi; the other current top 6 options.

Aulie for Ashton might not have been a great trade, but anytime you trade an AHL 3rd liner for a solid and serviceable young bottom pairing NHL d man, its a pretty good trade. Both players are still young and have room to improve, but as of now it looks like the Bolts got a servicable player for an minor leaguer.. Its a similar concept as my proposed trade with lesser peices though; team with weak d pool and stocked forward pool trades forward for d to team with weak forward but solid d.


long term forward core:
____-Crosby-Connolly
____-Malkin-Neal
____-Sutter-____

Fill in the right peices, with a number 1 d man in Letang, and that group contends every year IMO.

sparxx87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:29 PM
  #48
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs
 
Brewsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: King County
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,075
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
TB: Pouliot + ????
PIT: Malone + Connolly

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:34 PM
  #49
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 18,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Would be a lot more interested in Ryan Malone from the Lightning. What would the Bolts ask for?
Tampa lacks players like Malone. So probably too much.

And I don't see him being available unless we are out of the playoff spot by deadline. And/or ridiculous overpayment.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:45 PM
  #50
IHWR
The Chiropractor
 
IHWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,390
vCash: 500
I'd trade Pouliot for Connolly.

How do we do this?

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.