HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Does the Rangers Look and Logo need a update?

Old
07-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Trottier
Very Random

vCash: 500
Next up some born-yesterday genius will be suggesting that the Yankees inject purple into their uniforms.

In a society increasingly void of interest in history and respect for anything which happened before the DAY THEY WERE BORN, it reasons that rich tradition such as NYR's jerseys would be scrutinized.

Last edited by Trottier: 07-06-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:01 PM
dabid

Thats just a stupid website. Half those jerseys they say are "bad" are some of the best.

dabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
Can't say I know exactly what the 86's jerseys looked like but I agree with laces. They make hockey jerseys look much much better.
Haha, 86 is slang for "get rid of".

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:38 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBadGuy7 View Post
http://www.justwide.com/14

http://www.epinions.com/content_1545707652

The #2 Worst Jersey goes to the New York Rangers (sorry roynyr). The reason I have included the Rangers is that they are still using the boring jerseys that have "RANGERS" spelled down the front of them, when they have the beautiful alternate jerseys with the Statue of Liberty logo on them. The "Lady Liberty" jerseys are so much more attractive, so I donít understand why they donít burn the old ones!

The Rangers apparently got their name from Garden president G.L. "Tex" Rickard and sportswriters terming the team "Tex's Rangers". That gives some amount of legitimacy to their badge-like logo. Unfortunately, they didn't jump on using the Rangers starred badge, and now baseball's Texas Rangers have it. So the logo designer is left with the challenge of creating a new Rangers-ish logo without stepping on Texan's toes. Given that, it's an adequate job.

From a design standpoint, the logo is easily recognizable and fairly easy to read at varying sizes. It's hard to criticize. Ultimately, though, it's also hard to praise. Nothing stands out as inventive or creative. Hence, the middle of the pack finish.

Advice: The Rangers' secondary logo is great, making use of iconic statue while possibly alluding to the pointed star of the Texas badge. Adopt it as your primary logo.

This isn't I heard that the Rangers jersey and logo are bland and need to be updated and the original rangers look has run its course. Should the Rangers adpot the liberty jersey as its primary logo along with blue and white verisons of the logo and the classic blue "RANGERS" slanted jersey be the 3rd Jersey?

P.S:Here's how the White Liberty Jersey looks:http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/...s/b50xtb7u.jpg
I wouldn't change at all. They're great.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:59 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Who are you? John Ferguson? Been there done that. Absolutely nothing wrong with the logo or jerseys. Its called tradition.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:23 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
86 the laces and that's all the update I need.
actually, the only recent trend in hockey sweaters that I do like is the laces, but that's just me.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:26 PM
DutchShamrock

No credibility to the article... what so ever. Oiler, Rangers, Isles and Bruins in the bottom 5. Once I am able to pick up my jaw off the floor I notice that the friggin Wild! and Ducks! and the Thrashers!! are in the top 5. The Rangers slanted lettering is so out of style that Colorado designed their 3rd after it. The Ducks' design is so fabulous that it is getting axed this season.

I would love to see where teams like the Sabres, Caps and Pens fall in the rankings since they are either guarenteed or rumored to be reverting to vintage designs next season.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:40 PM
bk3nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
actually, the only recent trend in hockey sweaters that I do like is the laces, but that's just me.

I've gotta say that I dig the laces too... I'm big fan of the Rangers plain old home (now away) whites, and of course the blues too. No way would I change either of them. The third jersey is ok, but too busy for my taste.

No change needed.

bk3nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:27 PM
NYR957
Hagelin's pumped.

The laces make the jersey. The purpose of the laces is to make the "jersey" look more like old-time SWEATERS. Other teams can't use laces because the jersey's are too busy, ex. the Rangers 3rd jersey where they don't use laces. It makes the Rangers look old-time and look like an Original 6 team should. It sucks that Colorado had to copy our jerseys exactly with the diagonal lettering and the laces. I think the NHL should pass a jersey rule allowing only Original 6 teams to have laces, because it looks stupid on any other team's.

NYR957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:45 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR957 View Post
The laces make the jersey. The purpose of the laces is to make the "jersey" look more like old-time SWEATERS. Other teams can't use laces because the jersey's are too busy, ex. the Rangers 3rd jersey where they don't use laces. It makes the Rangers look old-time and look like an Original 6 team should. It sucks that Colorado had to copy our jerseys exactly with the diagonal lettering and the laces. I think the NHL should pass a jersey rule allowing only Original 6 teams to have laces, because it looks stupid on any other team's.
actually, the rangers didn't used to have the laces on they're sweaters.

http://www.sports-photos.com/catalog...940-41.tif.jpg

while the laces are a homage to a past look, it's actually new for the rangers.

Edit: ok, so it turns out that I was quite wrong, and I'm clearly showing my (lack of) age here. While those 1940 sweaters did not have laces (that picture was taken when the teams did wear actual sweaters), acording to www.NHLUniforms.com, the Rangers sweaters did sport laces from the 1950's through the mid 1970's. They reamerged in 1999

Last edited by xander: 07-07-2006 at 04:36 AM.
Old
07-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

I actually own one of the Rangers white liberty jerseys its not too shabby...
Change is bad in this case.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:34 PM
IanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeDragFan View Post
I actually own one of the Rangers white liberty jerseys its not too shabby...
Change is bad in this case.
Lucky

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
I tried a Rangers redesign once. It came out looking like a red, white and blue version of the Gatineau Olympiques jersey.

They're fine as they are.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:51 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

This guy needs tradition 101.

The Original Six teams jerseys are CLASSICS, and do not need any fine-tuning whatsoever. That's a fringe reason as to why those teams are ORIGINAL SIX.

This guy obviously knows nothing about hockey, and is one of those feminine males you find on one of those reality tv shows about fashion and models.

This guy needs to close his mouth and stop writing about stuff he knows nothing about.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 12:17 AM
zacn

I hate the concept of updating a team's look, especially when the team is considered one of the classic teams. Personally, if it was possible, i'd opt for one jersey (the blue one) which suggests our nickname and none other. It isn't the prettiest jersey but it is like none other in the league and I am always proud to wear it.

zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 01:34 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Not surprisingly, I want to stick with tradition, I like the Liberty logo, but it's a distant 2nd to the originals.

One thing I am truly sick of is teams wearing their dark jerseys at home. I really hope they go back to wearing white at home, dark colors on the road.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 03:10 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Not surprisingly, I want to stick with tradition, I like the Liberty logo, but it's a distant 2nd to the originals.

One thing I am truly sick of is teams wearing their dark jerseys at home. I really hope they go back to wearing white at home, dark colors on the road.
Same here. I'm sure they'll switch back in a few seasons. I love all three Rangers Jerseys, even the Liberty. Much better than the fishsticks was . To hell with changing them!

I think Colorado should have incorporated the Nordiques logo. Like maybe make a C with the stick and puck after it, and keep the red lettering. I don't know.

http://www.liguefederale.com/nordiques.gif (reference)

Last edited by WheresBarnaby: 07-07-2006 at 03:18 AM.
WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 03:45 AM
xander

we're getting off topic here, but I've always loved the nordiques logo and sweaters.

Old
07-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I would love to see where teams like the Sabres, Caps and Pens fall in the rankings since they are either guarenteed or rumored to be reverting to vintage designs next season.
I gotta say, I think the Caps old jerseys weren't that great lookin'

and the Sabres old jersey's look very dated.

The Rangers jersey isn't flashy or anything, but that's not a big deal. It's simple and clean. All that you need.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe426 View Post
Lucky
Wanna buy it?

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 06:18 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
actually, the rangers didn't used to have the laces on they're sweaters.

http://www.sports-photos.com/catalog...940-41.tif.jpg

while the laces are a homage to a past look, it's actually new for the rangers.

Edit: ok, so it turns out that I was quite wrong, and I'm clearly showing my (lack of) age here. While those 1940 sweaters did not have laces (that picture was taken when the teams did wear actual sweaters), acording to www.NHLUniforms.com, the Rangers sweaters did sport laces from the 1950's through the mid 1970's. They reamerged in 1999
All of mine had laces when I was a kid. Never knew they never didn't have laces.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote