HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 3: The one where the Oilers win every trade

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 500
Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 3: The one where the Oilers win every trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I think Smyth struggled so much yesterday because he was playing centre.. So putting Hordichuk on waivers lets us recall VV letting Smyth play the wing again..

I agree in a perfect world we would package whitney with picks/prospects but not for Myers.. His lack luster play and bad contract scare me..
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I don't think people here understand the kind of implications for the future of this team that would happen if we shipped off Smyth who came back here because he loved the city and had family things he needed to take care of. We have had a hard enough time getting free agents and such to want to come here. If we take the ONE guy who has always wanted to play here, and not let him finish his career here this year (hopefully) then we would be screwed. No player is going to want to come to a franchise with zero loyalty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
I think the player who Tambo is getting the most calls on is Khabibulin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
If we target Myers, Petry heads the other way almost guaranteed. I'm not sure I'd do that at this point. His contract is something that could cause problems down the road.

As for Whitney, we're taking back some salary in whatever deal occurs. I know I'm talking about Tambellini here, but if he could find a way to turn Ryan Whitney into Mark Streit, he deserves an extension.
Quote:
I agree, Washington seems to be blaming both their young goalies for their struggles..

What about a Khabi+ for one of their defence man?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
no way, we are not treating Smyth bad if he can't play anymore. We are not doing the rest the the Team or fans justice by Smyth in the penalty box or being a liability on the Ice.

Smytty should be remembered for his great contributions, he WAS a great contributer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
target Jeff Schultz.

I don't know anything about him, but we need all the Schultzes.
Quote:
If Khabi puts in a few more good efforts , we could see a mini bidding war happen for him a lot of teams have goalies struggling and Khabi is a quick fix for some teams, I truly feel he will be moved by march and a solid 6th dman which will be a ufa will be the return.
Continue here.

Rumor has it that Brassard is available and that Whitney could be traded.

02-11-2013, 01:37 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
If we target Myers, Petry heads the other way almost guaranteed. I'm not sure I'd do that at this point. His contract is something that could cause problems down the road.

As for Whitney, we're taking back some salary in whatever deal occurs. I know I'm talking about Tambellini here, but if he could find a way to turn Ryan Whitney into Mark Streit, he deserves an extension.
What about this:

To NYI:
Edm 2013 1st
Ryan Whitney
Oscar Klefbom
Edm 2014 2nd/3rd

To Edm:
Griffin Reinhart
Mark Streit
Marty Reasoner

Is this me dreaming too much? Streit for an immediate impact this year, Reinhart for the future..

Edit: I added Reasoner for a stop gap centre to fill the current situation.

Last edited by BowDangles: 02-11-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old
02-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64
If Khabi puts in a few more good efforts , we could see a mini bidding war happen for him a lot of teams have goalies struggling and Khabi is a quick fix for some teams, I truly feel
he will be moved by march and a solid 6th dman which will be a ufa will be the return.

What a waste of an asset..I'd rather take a pick for Khabby and sign this so-called 6th D UFA in the off-season. Not like we're going to need him in March...

Old
02-11-2013, 01:38 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4000
So....Whitney has possibly been traded or is available?

Old
02-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Quote:
What about this:

To NYI:
Edm 2013 1st
Ryan Whitney
Oscar Klefbom
Edm 2014 2nd/3rd

To Edm:
Griffin Reinhart
Mark Streit

Is this me dreaming too much? Streit for an immediate impact this year, Reinhart for the future..
I think its a vast overpayment. Streit is UFA at the end of the year for starters. He's also 35. I'd also rather give Klefbom a shot over aquiring Reinhart. He's older, played in the SEL and before the injury he was probably one of the better defensemen playing in Sweden.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64
If Khabi puts in a few more good efforts , we could see a mini bidding war happen for him a lot of teams have goalies struggling and Khabi is a quick fix for some teams, I truly feel
he will be moved by march and a solid 6th dman which will be a ufa will be the return.

What a waste of an asset..I'd rather take a pick for Khabby and sign this so-called 6th D UFA in the off-season. Not like we're going to need him in March...
I think the Oilers are past the collecting picks stage of this rebuild, and are looking to help this team now, and I would not be surprised at all to see 2/3 moves from now till march to improve the team . Khabi is done at the end of season here anyhow what good is a pick that might help us 4 years down the road we have 28 more picks in that time.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Declassified

Quote:
I think the Oilers are past the collecting picks stage of this rebuild, and are looking to help this team now, and I would not be surprised at all to see 2/3 moves from now till march to improve the team . Khabi is done at the end of season here anyhow what good is a pick that might help us 4 years down the road we have 28 more picks in that time.
Agreed, the time of amassing picks is in the rear view mirror, its time to get players that will fit in the lineup and contribute on a nightly basis. A legit Dman being the top of the list in my books.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:53 PM
oilexport

Quote:
I would keep Khabi as Duby can't play all the games and we have nothing else. We get a lot of shots and we'll burn out our goalie.

Smyth, Whitney can go if we find a taker, we need big center that can play.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
I would keep Khabi as Duby can't play all the games and we have nothing else. We get a lot of shots and we'll burn out our goalie.

Smyth, Whitney can go if we find a taker, we need big center that can play.
I think we will get a offer on Khabi that is just to good to say no and Whitney bags should already be packed, and Smyth were stuck with.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:00 PM
belair

Quote:
What about this:

To NYI:
Edm 2013 1st
Ryan Whitney
Oscar Klefbom
Edm 2014 2nd/3rd

To Edm:
Griffin Reinhart
Mark Streit
Marty Reasoner
Massive overpayment.

You're basically going Klefbom for Reinhart, which I'm not sure I do. And that means Mark Streit is commanding a return of Whitney, a first and a second. Insane.

Reasoner is merely a throw in. He could be had for a 6th or a 7th when you consider the returns for prospects recently. Which wouldn't be a risky move at this point by any means. But if you listen to any Islanders fan, he's pretty useless at this point.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:00 PM
joestevens29

Ya I'm sure letting Smyth go would hurt us. Probably hurts us more that we gave him a two year deal at over 2mil a year and the guy has hurt us more on the ice than helped us.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Needles

To Edmonton: Derrick Brassard, John Moore
To Columbus: Ales Hemsky + pick

I'd prefer Wilson or Smith from Nashville, but since Brassard is available...

Old
02-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
Agreed, the time of amassing picks is in the rear view mirror, its time to get players that will fit in the lineup and contribute on a nightly basis. A legit Dman being the top of the list in my books.
So you'd give up a draft pick for an unnecessary player becoming an UFA at season's end in March?? That doesn't make any sense. I've been advocating trading picks for needs but that would be a waste...

Old
02-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
So you'd give up a draft pick for an unnecessary player becoming an UFA at season's end in March?? That doesn't make any sense. I've been advocating trading picks for needs but that would be a waste...
We gave up a draft pick for Fistric who is a ufa at the end of the season and that made sense a little to high of a pick , but besides that where in my post did i say that. I said Khabi for a pick is a waste when he is in his last season here, he is a asset so if we get a younger roster player that helps the team ufa or not its a better move.

What do you think will hurt our chance at making playoffs this year 8 games that we would not play Khabi in or 36 more games with Potter or Whitney anchoring the 6th d spot. We need players right now not picks.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:24 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

A reminder for those posting information. You must provide a source or previously run it past a mod if it isn't possible to mention the source. This is especially important for twitter info given how many crap accounts are out there. If you don't link to the tweet in question, your post will be removed.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:28 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
i would love to get mark mcneil from Chicago, he is still a year or 2 away from the NHL but he is david bolland v2.0 imo.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Philly85
Moody'

I like the idea of trading for some of these young, talented players and prospects... but this team needs established veterans, capable players, rather than more youth. The talent is there, the mix is off, if not horribly. Still need a bigger, more physical infusion of guys to open things up. They are extremely soft. Probably the softest team in the league. Defensively they are getting better in their top 4 but are still a couple years away IMO. Could desperately use a Brad Stewart type veteran top 4 D-man. Whitney and Potter have no business on this team if they're serious about Whitney. Vets vets vets. Defence and bottom 6 needs upgrading. Tambo should seriously consider trading one of the big four after next season if things are still this murky. Difficult and decisive/ballsy decisions need to be made.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Six in O6

I would like to see the Oilers go after Streit with a two year deal in the offseason. I don't think there is any point in trading for him.

Also, Clarkson is a UFA. He scored 30 goals last year and could really round out or top 9. He's big and works hard. Also a fan favorite with the ability to jump into the top six and play some power play minutes if necessary. What do you guys think about bringing him in? He's got 9 goals, 15 points this year, tied for second so far in the goal category.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:07 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
I would like to see the Oilers go after Streit with a two year deal in the offseason. I don't think there is any point in trading for him.

Also, Clarkson is a UFA. He scored 30 goals last year and could really round out or top 9. He's big and works hard. Also a fan favorite with the ability to jump into the top six and play some power play minutes if necessary. What do you guys think about bringing him in? He's got 9 goals, 15 points this year, tied for second so far in the goal category.
Would take both players, I just don't know that Clarkson is an option. I'll be shocked if NJ doesn't lock him up, they can't afford to lose him.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:10 PM
belair

A deal that could potentially be ironed out would send Whitney to New York for Brian Boyle. Boyle's been a healthy scratch and has struggled this year without Prust on his line. The Whitney contract would handcuff the Rangers cap-wise though.

Boyle's a nice target for the Oilers. 6'7, decent on the draw and averages over 3 hits per game. If they could snag someone else to give the Rangers that buffer on the cap, it might be a deal they should look at.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:18 PM
oilexport

I would like to see Tambo get creative. Sather got Mac-T from Jail and Ruotsalainen from finland. Both players were impact and great support that contributed to Stanley Cups. The posters that claim "where do we get these guys" or "these guys don't grow on trees" are short sighted. Good managers find players other then trading or drafting.

Having said that, our drafting and trades have been just O.K. and we have not found any gems (aside from eberle at 22-1st round). Tambo will earn his pay this year or fire him, Lowe, and for gods sake as much as Mac-t helped us at Center, Don't promote him !!

Our development on the farm still needs to improve with better picks or development of rough diamonds. That 165 center they brought up does not need to be down there developing, get that 220 lbs center that has some developing capability for the farm. By the way, what is Green doing on the farm team, he's our big center that is what 35 years old and marginal 4 th line bubble player in his prime. These guys are taking up spots for nothing.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:18 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Haven't they already locked up clarkson? I thought he got 5 mil

Old
02-11-2013, 03:20 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Lol Tyler Myers. No thanks, this guy is on a massive downswing right now. He's terribad

Old
02-11-2013, 03:21 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
A deal that could potentially be ironed out would send Whitney to New York for Brian Boyle. Boyle's been a healthy scratch and has struggled this year without Prust on his line. The Whitney contract would handcuff the Rangers cap-wise though.

Boyle's a nice target for the Oilers. 6'7, decent on the draw and averages over 3 hits per game. If they could snag someone else to give the Rangers that buffer on the cap, it might be a deal they should look at.
We have cap space, why not trade Whitney and keep half the cap hit?

Old
02-11-2013, 03:24 PM
belair

Quote:
I would like to see Tambo get creative. Sather got Mac-T from Jail and Ruotsalainen from finland. Both players were impact and great support that contributed to Stanley Cups. The posters that claim "where do we get these guys" or "these guys don't grow on trees" are short sighted. Good managers find players other then trading or drafting.
To be fair, Lennart Petrell is a perfect example of that.

Three guys were brought in and he has succeeded. Tyrvainen and Tulupov were examples of the ones that fall through the cracks. When you expect a GM to find diamonds in the rough through drafting and free agent signing, it's going to take time and more often than not, you're going to witness failure.

Closed Thread