HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Is it time to move Mike Green? (aka the hat0r thread)

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 02:02 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

vCash: 500
I think most every team craves what they perceive a crease clearing d-man. IDK. It seems in today's NHL that's a difficult task. They can get away with maybe one cross check and if they are not careful it will be hold or interference that they are called for. Hamrlik had a good "battle" in the crease with Ryan Malone. I saw Poti whack someone good too.

I like John Erskine just not slotted next to Carlson. I'm anxious to see what the plans are for Poti though if he's healthy in Florida. I'd rather one of Poti / Hamr next to Carlson. I'm confident Hamrlik won't see more time as long as everyone's healthy. So who will Poti displace or will they go with 7?

Old
02-11-2013, 02:04 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I think most every team craves what they perceive a crease clearing d-man. IDK. It seems in today's NHL that's a difficult task. They can get away with maybe one cross check and if they are not careful it will be hold or interference that they are called for. Hamrlik had a good "battle" in the crease with Ryan Malone. I saw Poti whack someone good too.

I like John Erskine just not slotted next to Carlson. I'm anxious to see what the plans are for Poti though if he's healthy in Florida. I'd rather one of Poti / Hamr next to Carlson. I'm confident Hamrlik won't see more time as long as everyone's healthy. So who will Poti displace or will they go with 7?
Then you want a no hit D basically. At least where the top 4 is concerned.

Its more than crease clearing. It has to do with punishing opponents on the boards, creating space for your D partner, being an intimidating presence.

Poti and Hamrlik inspire fear in exactly no one.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:10 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
As for Green, he's clearly afraid of contact and injury. Maybe justifiably so. But it's affecting his play.
His play has been good. Maybe he's finally learning he needs to avoid taking those dumb hits? Fans bash him for taking unnecessary hits and fans bash him for getting hurt. NOW he's getting bashed for avoiding the above...Some of these guys can't win for trying.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:16 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Then you want a no hit D basically. At least where the top 4 is concerned.

Its more than crease clearing. It has to do with punishing opponents on the boards, creating space for your D partner, being an intimidating presence.

Poti and Hamrlik inspire fear in exactly no one.
Well I didn't see Kovalchuk "fear" Erskine. In another post I indicated I'm willing to give him a chance. But I'll repeat, okay. When the Caps start beating upper tier teams and Erskine beats the snot out of them too I'll be a happy camper. (Don't think I used happy camper before). That has not happened yet.

And given he's coming off a suspension he may not be as aggressive. It was hard to tell against a lifeless Panther team.

I just wouldn't mind seeing some better defense and outlet passes from that position. You know to help with the offense.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:24 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Well I didn't see Kovalchuk "fear" Erskine. In another post I indicated I'm willing to give him a chance. But I'll repeat, okay. When the Caps start beating upper tier teams and Erskine beats the snot out of them too I'll be a happy camper. (Don't think I used happy camper before). That has not happened yet.

And given he's coming off a suspension he may not be as aggressive. It was hard to tell against a lifeless Panther team.

I just wouldn't mind seeing some better defense and outlet passes from that position. You know to help with the offense.
Didn't he get into a fight with Parros (a solid pugilist) within 5 minutes of returning?? He will be aggressive. Thats how he plays.

How many games have we won without Erskine in the lineup this year?

Old
02-11-2013, 02:30 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
You have these games wrong. Erskine faced Toronto once, not twice. The team you're missing is Ottawa. So Erskine's faced the current 1,5,6,11,12 and 14 seeds, and the Poti/Hamrlik combo has faced the 3,4,7 and 10 seeds.

Both sets contain 3 playoff teams, and not enough of a difference for the opponents to be considered a factor, imo.
I suppose that's true but it's safe to say a couple of the Hamrlik/Poti set has cooled off - mainly Montreal and Tampa Bay.

And..........neither has done well against upper tier teams. And before you say it Neuvy was NJ's point, not Erskine's. If Erskine is a good luck charm by all means keep him in the lineup.

That's where they are in the standings today. My main point is that while the team is still squandering I wouldn't mind another tweak in the D since the rest of the team has been tweaked until miles end. So again, given that Poti was about to play the other night - where would he fit in if healthy?

Closed Thread