HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on Kronwall this year...

Old
02-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Probie

vCash: 500
Thoughts on Kronwall this year...

Well we all knew he wasn't Nick lidstrom going into this year, but nobody is.

Many have been quite critical of his defensive play so far.
I always thought he was avg defensively in the role he had up to this year,
And knew being put in a first pairing position that part of his game would be exploited and more visible for all to see.

One thing people haven't mentioned is offensive production. Ten points in 12 games
Has him tied for 4th overall for defenseman. If he played 48 games that would
Put him on pace for 40 points, and on a 82 game schedule on pace for a whopping 68
Point. Not bad at all.

Perhaps give him some more time to get used to his new partner and role, and he can get better.
I'm not saying he's going to be awesome defensively but perhaps better, and don't forget about the
Offense so far.

I would still like the wings to acquire a top pairing dman to be sure though.

Thoughts?

Probie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:27 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

He is playing exactly how I thought he would. A mediocre #1 d-man. I have no problem with this since its not his fault. He is being asked to do too much.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:33 PM
JPE123

Average Dman, above average offensive Dman. I like that he is aggressive in the offensive zone. He makes an occasional scary pass in his own zone that bothers me

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:34 PM
joe89

Not surprisingly his offensive totals are up now that he's got more of a go-to role. He's always gonna produce points at a steady rate. Defensively he's probably looked worse than previous seasons, and he takes too many penalties. I don't think his defensive partner should matter too much, he's our best paid guy and should play his own game well no matter who he plays with. He can definitely play better defense than he currently is but he's never gonna be elite in that regard.

So are the Wings still in need for another first pairing defenseman? Hell yes.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:38 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Its weird because he hasn't looked impressive offensively, but the points say otherwise.

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:40 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Its weird because he hasn't looked impressive offensively, but the points say otherwise.
Probably because he's been rather ineffective with the point shot so far, where he's visible the most. His passing game has been very good.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:48 PM
TNigs

My problem with Kronner is and almost always was, that he'll miss a soft pass at the blueline and let it trickle out of the zone. Gotta get the eggs out like the Mighty Duck movies.

TNigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:02 PM
sepster

His play is that of what he is, i.e. a solid Top 3 D-man who should not be asked to be a No. 1 on a playoff team. I'm pleased with his offensive production and I'm not frustrated with his defensive short-comings because he shouldn't be to do what's he's charged with this season.

If the Wings can somehow acquire a legitimate No. 1 D-man without having to gut the rest of the team so that all of the D-men are slotted where they should be then I think the Wings D would be above average.

Something like:
(#1 Damn)/Ericsson
Kronwall/Smith
Lashoff/White
Quincey
would work for me. Kindl and Coloaicovo are dead weight, see you later. Huskins, thanks for the fill-in and good luck on your way.

Will this happen this season? Probably not. I imagine when everyone gets healthy Holland will rave about all of this new-found depth and how they are well-positioned for a deep playoff run if they get the right bounces.

sepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:05 PM
crashman

vCash: 714
I think we need to get him a partner capable of moving the puck...

Kronwall is key to this team, without him we'd be in BIG trouble.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Dynheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
He is playing exactly how I thought he would. A mediocre #1 d-man. I have no problem with this since its not his fault. He is being asked to do too much.
Pretty much this.

Kronner is a great defenseman. Just not Nick Lidstrom...not even a declining Lidstrom (not many were).

With that said, Kronner is a solid #2, who can fill in the number one roll. Hence the "mediocre #1" comment I agree with.

He's not without faults...something every defenseman has...except Lidstrom (what a freak, I tell ya). The more I think about it, boy were we spoiled with him.

I think Kronwall is trying to be the #1 guy. Trying to be the "replacement". Trying to be a lot of things he's not. What we haven't seen much is that nice Kronwall pinch from the blue line and slapping that puck home. AKA, just being Kronwall.

Right now, he's probably trying to take on the world. He'll come around, though. I still say he should be paired up with Big E. He pretty much stays at home (decent puck mover too), and that'll give Kronner time to do what he does. Pinch in to make big hits/huge slap shots. None of this passive crap he's been doing this season.

Dynheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:08 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

He's spending too much time babysitting rookies like Lashoff, who don't belong in the NHL.
Kronwall isn't the type of #1 who can make up for someone else's deficiencies.
Heck, Lidstrom couldn't do that the last couple years.

I don't know if Kronwall can handle prime even strength time, + 5minutes of PP time and 3 minutes of SH time every game.

But what choices do we have?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
He's spending too much time babysitting rookies like Lashoff, who don't belong in the NHL.
Kronwall isn't the type of #1 who can make up for someone else's deficiencies.
Heck, Lidstrom couldn't do that the last couple years.

I don't know if Kronwall can handle prime even strength time, + 5minutes of PP time and 3 minutes of SH time every game.

But what choices do we have?
I think we could see Colaiacovo on the point at this season, even in front of Kronwall. And his PK role is already reduced to 2nd pair, where he was also at earlier seasons. He has never been a 1st PK guy (on paper, only in injury occasions), and never should be.

Ericsson and Quincey are now logging the 1st PK pair load. That eases a bit. Ericsson's injury has been the main reason for Kronwall's problems, when he lost his main pair and had also replace Ericsson's role on the PK. Too much new things when you already are trying to adjust in new things.

I hope our guys could finally stay healthy and get some steadiness on the back end. If the roles are alternating all the time, bad things keep happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
I just watched all those goals he was involved with, and half of those points are just "touching the puck" as secondary assists. Half of those plays that will lead to goal has basicly nothing to do with Kronwall. He just touched the puck and big things happened after that.

5 points were "earned". Good plays that affected for the birth of the goal.

Last edited by Henkka: 02-11-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:16 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Lots of players tally up on points on the PP.

That's why you trust your eyes more than the stats. Certain guys create opportunities. Certain guys are plugs in the pass around the PP and get their points.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:28 PM
19 for president

I think Kronner hasn't looked entirely comfortable out there so far this year. He's never been a great defensive dman but he is better than he's been. I think the lack of physicality has hurt him there because he needs that aspect of this game in order to be fully engaged. Plus it makes players make different plays out there vs him. As a one on one defender is average to below average. When players are afraid of getting their heads knocked off they move the puck quicker then they would like too and this makes defending easier.

As for his PP time, I think he is being used incorrectly. Kronner is not a PP QB and he never has been. He is most effective when used in a role similar to Raffy a few years ago. He has great mobility and a quick shot which means he needs to be able to roam on the PP. He needs to be able to sneak in from the point and find that soft spot between the circles. Right now however as the QB he is forced to stay at the line and he simply doesn't have a good enough shot for that.

19 for president is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Townsend Beasley
Coop, how's Annie?

We need a 1-A righty defensive defenseman to pair with 1-B lefty offensive defenseman kronwall.

Should be easy, eh Holland?

Townsend Beasley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:48 PM
ChadS

What they need is a #2-3 defensive d-man. The offensive skill on the D is good enough, but the defensive side is lacking at the moment and it forces Kronwall among others to play a role he should not be playing (if you want to win).

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:53 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Not only that... we're trying to have Quincey play like a defensive defenseman ... which is just stupid. Guy shows very little intelligence on the ice.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townsend Beasley View Post
We need a 1-A righty defensive defenseman to pair with 1-B lefty offensive defenseman kronwall.

Should be easy, eh Holland?

So we have to hijack Dan Girardi from the NY Rangers? Shea Weber doesn't fit, he is too offensive.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:10 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
I agree.

He'd be ok if he had another top pairing dman playing with him. But he's not good enough to carry the team by himself.

He's doing the exact same mistake he said he should not do before the season started; trying not to do too much out there.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Townsend Beasley
Coop, how's Annie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
So we have to hijack Dan Girardi from the NY Rangers? Shea Weber doesn't fit, he is too offensive.
See, Girardis the exact guy i was thunking. But dreams are for sleeping, they say.

Townsend Beasley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

1 goal, 9 assists in 12 games. Put that in perspective... 1 assist behind Patrick Kane, 3 more total points than Filppula. Out of 9 power play goals Detroit has scored, Kronwall has been a part of 7 of those.

He's not a shutdown defenseman. Never has been, never will be. People need to start understanding that.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:32 PM
detredWINgs

Hes a #1-2 offensively, and a #3-4 defensively. He's really the only bona fide offensive defenseman we have and there is increased reliance on him in that role. So not only is he more focused on moving the puck, but his supporting cast is mediocre from a defensive perspective. All in all, it makes for solid offensive production, and shoddy defense play.

I don't know why people are surprised that he looks suspect defensively when neither Lidstrom and Stuart are around. Its a huge depreciation in per se defensive play.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:34 PM
14ari13

I am more than happy with his game so far this season. I also think it might be good to pair him with Ericsson.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:47 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Anyone thinking he'd somehow turn into a shutdown D hasn't been paying attention the past 6 years. He has never been good defensively.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:09 PM
FlashyG

When he's paired with Ericsson I think he's a better overall defenceman. When he's out with Lashoff his defensive liabilities are far more visible.

He's not the type of defenceman to make his partner look better like Lidstrom was, he's the type of guy who shines when he has a partner that can cover for him a bit defensively.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote