HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

joel ward

Old
02-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Brave Sir Robin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i am not going to defend these players here, but these players are making market at the most. i dont think any of them are overpaid.

would you rather turn these players over into different one's by going cheap on one year deals and then letting them walk? all three of those players are better than jason chimera and none of them were going to stay for jason chimera money.
I disagree. They are overpaid, especially Brouwer and Ward. Brouwer for instance is a one time 20 goal scorer with a career high of a whopping 40pts, and we're going to be playing him 3.6mil. Ward had a great playoff run with Nashville. He's been a 30-35pt player the rest of his career. What do those guys bring to the table to justify getting twice as much money as Chimera?

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:36 PM
dles
Rookie User

I think he's probably a little over payed. He's definitely a good player, and prob worth .5 mil less then he got payed. But that purely comes off the fact we bought him when his value was extremely high after his playoff performance. I always thought he was a hard worker, and he has a knack for getting in front of the net. Which we don't have enough of. I agree with the others who say put him on Ovi's line, Ribeiro can feed either of them and especially if you feed Ovi/D-man, you get those two good big guys ward and ovi to crash the net they will gobble up those rebounds (hopefully).

First ovi needs to learn that shooting then skating behind the goal accomplishes nothing. He needs to go play on the San Antonio Spurs. FOLLOW UP YOUR OWN SHOT FOR THE REBOUND.

dles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:39 PM
dles
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
I disagree. They are overpaid, especially Brouwer and Ward. Brouwer for instance is a one time 20 goal scorer with a career high of a whopping 40pts, and we're going to be playing him 3.6mil. Ward had a great playoff run with Nashville. He's been a 30-35pt player the rest of his career. What do those guys bring to the table to justify getting twice as much money as Chimera?
You also have to factor in the offenses that they played on. You have more of a point for Brouwer because he was on Chicago. A lot of people from Chicago have told me that he's actually overperforming for the Caps because most people thought he was just good because he was surrounded by talent. Ward though played on a decent Nashville offense and put up those kinda points. The caps are also no longer the offensive powerhouse so putting up (if he keeps pace) 40-50 points a regular season IS 3.6 mil salary player.

dles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

He was used "improperly" last year because he did nothing to earn more playing time. That said, I think he probably spent most of last season playing through the same sports hernia Green had, and that was the biggest reason for his disappointing season. I wouldn't have been so hard on him had I known that was the case.

Anyway, his production right now certainly won't hold up, a 26.3 shooting percentage is totally unsustainable. But I think he can be about a 17-15-32 pace guy, in which case he's still overpaid, but not enough to buy him out.

Zoidberg Jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:27 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

I liked Ward before it was cool.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:06 AM
msrulo

Most underrated guy right now on our team. Comes up big when we need him. Oatsy should try him on the first line instead of Wolski.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:08 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I liked Ward before it was cool.

californiacapsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:33 AM
txpd

we could probably change the header to this thread and add troy brouwer and brooks laich to it. so far this season brouwer and ward are both overperforming their contracts.

Laich cant be commented on til he plays some.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:13 AM
DCRedhawk21

As much as Laich gets hated on here, I'm looking forward to his return. He's not a team savior anything crazy, but he will help the PK (one of the biggest weaknesses) and will hopefully result in Wolski seeing the press box for a couple of games.

Also, I think, for some, market value for certain players was never adjusted for the post-lockout (first one this century... which sidebar - it's really sad that you have to clarify that) increases in the salary cap. Specifically with regard to Brouwer. He's a 20 goal, 40 point guy who's got an under-appreciated shot and can crash the net. I don't see anything to indicate that 3.6 is ridiculously above market value for that skill-set. I'm sure you can find player's with the same skill-set making less and making more.

EDIT: Just to add onto my first comment, I would play the following top-6:

Laich - Ribs- Ovechkin
Chimera - Backstrom - Brouwer

Let Laich take a lot of the face-offs for that line.

Last edited by DCRedhawk21: 02-16-2013 at 10:19 AM.
DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:12 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Definitely change the name to something other than "Joel Ward"

Grinding on your Nerves ft The Grinders

So what is this i hear, Ward was playing through a sports hernia last year?

Well that sure explains a lot. Brooks was right, we dont know jack sheet. I feel like an idiot dogging him all freaking year.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 02-16-2013 at 01:21 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote