HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Which defenseman would you rather have for a cup run?

View Poll Results: Which defenseman do you want on your team for a playoff push?
Chara 169 58.28%
Weber 47 16.21%
Karlsson 62 21.38%
Other 12 4.14%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2013, 12:41 PM
  #101
Wrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 500
13 games of playoff experience vs. 100+....


I get that Karlsson is playing better than Chara right now, but that's not the question.

Wrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:50 PM
  #102
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Silly me capital letters is largely recognized as yelling, bold is used for emphasis.

Bottom line is that Karlsson hasn't done it in the playoffs something everyone is glossing over here.

Until he gets it done in the playoffs there is no reason, other than looking at your own jersey, to take Karlsson over the other 2 guys here or Doughty for that matter.
I can't seem to bold anything on mobile right now? Anyways, exclamation marks are even more largely recognized for yelling. Silly me for being more right than you are.

Hasn't done what in the playoffs? Won the cup? That's a team thing. He hasn't been on as strong a team as chara. That is not a valid argument against karlsson.

Chara has 39 points in 107 games in the playoffs...or 29.8 points per 82 games.

Karlsson has 7 points in 13 games in the playoffs...or 44.2 points per 82 games.

Offensively, karlsson>>>>>chara in the playoffs. The difference between a 29 point defenseman and a 44 point defenseman is significant.

And karlsson was pretty damn good defensively last year in the playoffs.

Your argument is as weak as they come.

jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:54 PM
  #103
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
13 games of playoff experience vs. 100+....


I get that Karlsson is playing better than Chara right now, but that's not the question.
I'll take the best defenseman in the league the last year and a half instead of the best defenseman in the league 4 years ago. Unless we're using a time machine to go back to 2009, i'd rather have the current best defenseman. You guys should put a *disclaimer* that we're answering this question going back in time. In fact, this question is about the future. One is trending up and aproaching his prime, the other is trending down and leaving his prime.

jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:55 PM
  #104
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,378
vCash: 69
Chara. Weber has made his share of bone headed decisions that leaves Chara on top. Karlsson is fun to watch and all and he can control a game but Chara is the biggest game breaker of the 3 and based on what I've seen, he leads his team better.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:35 PM
  #105
Oiled up*
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion19 View Post
I'd take Chara.




*looks at your username*
Do you see me claiming Eberle is a god or anything of the sort? He has not looked like the eberle of last year despite getting 8 points in 12 games this year.

Let me guess, because your username has stallion in it... i am therefore talking to a horse?

Anyways Chara AINEC he can produce offence decently and be dominant in the defensive end in the regular season + playoffs... oh and and doesn't choke when it matters like Karlsson getting 1 point in 7 games in his god-like norris season.


Last edited by Oiled up*: 02-11-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:38 PM
  #106
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,577
vCash: 500
Chara. No idea how this is even a question.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:51 PM
  #107
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,873
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
Do you see me claiming Eberle is a god or anything of the sort? He has not looked like the eberle of last year despite getting 8 points in 12 games this year.

Let me guess, because your username has stallion in it... i am therefore talking to a horse?

Anyways Chara AINEC he can produce offence decently and be dominant in the defensive end in the regular season + playoffs... oh and and doesn't choke when it matters like Karlsson getting 1 point in 7 games in his god-like norris season.
I like how your so annoyed by the Karlsson love that you have to go out of your way to hate on him.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:54 PM
  #108
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,390
vCash: 500
For the NY Rangers, Karlsson.

It has nothing to do with who I believe is the best d-man but the Rangers already have size, strength and strong defensive aspects but we have no true PP point player, real QB of the defense and puck control in the back.

I think if the Rangers were to get Karlsson it would be the best thing for them. But they would have to give up the world for him. Marc Staal, Michael Del Zotto, Chris Kreider and a draft pick I would assume.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:56 PM
  #109
Oiled up*
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
I like how your so annoyed by the Karlsson love that you have to go out of your way to hate on him.
Hate on Karlsson? what are you talking about?
I just like many other people here would take Chara > Karlsson given the circumstances in this thread and i gave my reasons why. Why u heff to be mad at an opinion?

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:58 PM
  #110
BigZKingK
Registered User
 
BigZKingK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Missed your question but buddy up there responded.

The original question was without Karlsson, take away two important pieces of any defense in the league and almost any team will ahve problems.

So if the question is changed from without Karlsson the sens are lottery bound quick, which isn't true IMO to if the sens lose Spezza, Cowan and Karlsson all year then they will miss the playoffs yes.

Here is the original statement that I was referring to

"Take Chara off Boston and they got an average team. If you take Karlsson or Weber off their teams this year, they've got a one-way ticket for Nathan Mackinnon."
Well he clearly said this year

Cowen as been out for months already... Anyways i`m not the type of guy who wants to get into useless OT argument

PS:Voted Chara in this pool btw... every Sens fans should remember how much we miss Chara in our Cup run

BigZKingK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:05 PM
  #111
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
I can't seem to bold anything on mobile right now? Anyways, exclamation marks are even more largely recognized for yelling. Silly me for being more right than you are.

Hasn't done what in the playoffs? Won the cup? That's a team thing. He hasn't been on as strong a team as chara. That is not a valid argument against karlsson.

Chara has 39 points in 107 games in the playoffs...or 29.8 points per 82 games.

Karlsson has 7 points in 13 games in the playoffs...or 44.2 points per 82 games.

Offensively, karlsson>>>>>chara in the playoffs. The difference between a 29 point defenseman and a 44 point defenseman is significant.

And karlsson was pretty damn good defensively last year in the playoffs.

Your argument is as weak as they come.
You do realize that winning a playoff round, just a single one would help your argument but until then keep smiling in the mirror at your Sens jersey because your argument is really weak here.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:07 PM
  #112
SenateReform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
Do you see me claiming Eberle is a god or anything of the sort? He has not looked like the eberle of last year despite getting 8 points in 12 games this year.

Let me guess, because your username has stallion in it... i am therefore talking to a horse?

Anyways Chara AINEC he can produce offence decently and be dominant in the defensive end in the regular season + playoffs... oh and and doesn't choke when it matters like Karlsson getting 1 point in 7 games in his god-like norris season.
Karlsson was great in the playoffs last year. Better performance than Chara ever gave the Sens in the post season.

I can understand people taking Chara, but your reason is ignorant and your usage of AINEC is over the top.

SenateReform is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:37 PM
  #113
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,873
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
The question is specifically which player would you rather have for a cup run and Karlsson's record is the worst of the 3 and it's not even close.

Karlsson also isn't controlling games this year like Malkin or Crosby or are you still in a foggy haze about last years perfect storm?
Karlsson this year > Karlsson last season.

Show me how Karlsson's record is worse than the other 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Do you even know what a seven fold increase would be like in one year?


That would be like saying Phil Housely went from one year to the next and turned into the best defensive Dman of all time period.

You either have no idea, are ignorant or are flaming.


He is also only 5th in Dman scoring so forget about the perfect storm of last year.
I chose an arbitrary number to say hes a lot better defensively this year. Your looking too far into nothing.

Its like 10 games into the season, who cares what position someone is in for scoring. Karlsson will continue to put up points while the others slow down. With the way hes playing this season its inevitable that he puts up points. He leads the NHL in shots.

Also, where are you getting this idea that Karlsson had the perfect storm? Its not like he was riding in someones backpack. He creates offensive for himself. Karlsson was first in total goals on-ice for last season.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:40 PM
  #114
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainehockey33 View Post
Please tell us how Karlsson controls the game and how it would benefit a team playing game 7, battling for every inch of ice.
Well I can see that there wasn't much doubt in your mind when you made the poll.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:40 PM
  #115
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,873
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
Hate on Karlsson? what are you talking about?
I just like many other people here would take Chara > Karlsson given the circumstances in this thread and i gave my reasons why. Why u heff to be mad at an opinion?
You trash Karlsson in every thread about Karlsson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Bottom line is that Karlsson hasn't done it in the playoffs something everyone is glossing over here.

Until he gets it done in the playoffs there is no reason, other than looking at your own jersey, to take Karlsson over the other 2 guys here or Doughty for that matter.
By this logic Lebda > Bouwmeester.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:49 PM
  #116
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf
 
RealisticLeaf55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa, On.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,890
vCash: 2090
Personally speaking, I'd want Weber on my team. Solid two way guy who is almost equal at both his offensive and defensive side. Chara is a close second but I'd take guys like Kronwall or Doughty over Karlsson. I just find the two way guys are just more valuable in the playoffs then the strong offensive guys like Karlsson

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:54 PM
  #117
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,729
vCash: 500
The easy answer is Chara, because he's done it.

There!

Nothing wrong with that.

One of them is a grizzled veteran, one is a journeyman, and one is a sophmore.

It's silly to compare their playoff abilities. One guy has had many more opportunities to hone that ability.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:30 PM
  #118
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Karlsson this year > Karlsson last season.

Show me how Karlsson's record is worse than the other 2.
You are still confusing the regular season with playoffs, both other guys ahve better resumes in the playoffs period, stop mixing the two up.


Quote:
I chose an arbitrary number to say hes a lot better defensively this year. Your looking too far into nothing.
You said 7 fold, if you didn't mean it don't say it, it's not a hard concept.

Quote:
Its like 10 games into the season, who cares what position someone is in for scoring. Karlsson will continue to put up points while the others slow down. With the way hes playing this season its inevitable that he puts up points. He leads the NHL in shots.
Where is this crystal ball you ahve, no doubt you can retire and bet on games because you know the future right?

I bring up this season because Karlsson is finally playing harder defensive minutes on the PP but of course it's absurd to even suggest that it might affect his production right?

Quote:
Also, where are you getting this idea that Karlsson had the perfect storm? Its not like he was riding in someones backpack. He creates offensive for himself. Karlsson was first in total goals on-ice for last season.
Everyone knows the perfect storm of other high scoring Dmen being injured and his "perfect storm" lead on the next highest defender. It's unlikely to happen again so his defensive play will have to be a ton better to get another Norris.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:38 PM
  #119
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
Why are you picking some arbitrary number of years?



So? Chara's been around for a long time. Does that mean that he's regressing now?



Karlsson doesn't have one strength. He has many. He is strong at winning the puck in corners. He's strong at getting the puck on net. He's strong at stripping attackers of the puck. And his strength at the transition game is that he can skate around the opposition and he can consistently put a perfect tape to tape pass on the stick of a rushing forward.



Karlsson has been consistently excellent in the playoffs. Chara has not.
2011/12 Playoffs

7GP, 1 point, Even +/-
Sergei Gonchar had more points.

They both didn't do well that year, but saying Karlsson consistently does well in the playoffs is laughable.

Chieftans22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:07 AM
  #120
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,873
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
2011/12 Playoffs

7GP, 1 point, Even +/-
Sergei Gonchar had more points.

They both didn't do well that year, but saying Karlsson consistently does well in the playoffs is laughable.
All this shows is that you didn't watch the series. Karlsson played some of his best defensive hockey and was still good offensively despite only have 1 point. Karlsson is more than a point machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
You are still confusing the regular season with playoffs, both other guys ahve better resumes in the playoffs period, stop mixing the two up.
I meant last year and this year in general.

Quote:
You said 7 fold, if you didn't mean it don't say it, it's not a hard concept.
Are you anal about everything?
Quote:

Where is this crystal ball you ahve, no doubt you can retire and bet on games because you know the future right?

I bring up this season because Karlsson is finally playing harder defensive minutes on the PP but of course it's absurd to even suggest that it might affect his production right?
Meh. Heard the same thing last year that he cant maintain point per game.
Karlsson is still getting the same amount of PP and even strength, so being on the PK wont affect his point production.

Quote:
Everyone knows the perfect storm of other high scoring Dmen being injured and his "perfect storm" lead on the next highest defender. It's unlikely to happen again so his defensive play will have to be a ton better to get another Norris.
Karlsson won the Norris because he was the best all-around dman. It had nothing to do with other players.

Your arguments are opinion and grasping at straws.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:41 AM
  #121
Oiled up*
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
You trash Karlsson in every thread about Karlsson.



By this logic Lebda > Bouwmeester.
Not quite true, I disputed him being the best player in the league... And I would not choose Karlsson > Chara based on the stipulations of this thread.

Karlsson > Potter.... You happy?

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:50 AM
  #122
SenateReform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
Not quite true, I disputed him being the best player in the league... And I would not choose Karlsson > Chara based on the stipulations of this thread.

Karlsson > Potter.... You happy?
You said he choked in the playoffs last year. In my books I'd call that trashing considering it's not even true. You also used AINEC when comparing the reigning Norris winner so you're clearly holding some sort of bias/anger/jealousy towards Karlsson.

SenateReform is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:40 AM
  #123
Hutzler
Registered User
 
Hutzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,152
vCash: 500
Chara

Hutzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:44 AM
  #124
JFG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
2011/12 Playoffs

7GP, 1 point, Even +/-
Sergei Gonchar had more points.

They both didn't do well that year, but saying Karlsson consistently does well in the playoffs is laughable.
Ask NYR fans what they think about Karlsson's performance in that series.

JFG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:48 AM
  #125
Micklebot
Registered User
 
Micklebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
I bring up this season because Karlsson is finally playing harder defensive minutes on the PP but of course it's absurd to even suggest that it might affect his production right?

Everyone knows the perfect storm of other high scoring Dmen being injured and his "perfect storm" lead on the next highest defender. It's unlikely to happen again so his defensive play will have to be a ton better to get another Norris.
Yeah, those tougher mins have really taken a toll on his production this year. With Spezza out and the team on a scoring drought, he's only leading the league in shots, and on pace for 34 goals and 61 pts over an 82 game season.

Your probably right that he'll have to be better defensively than last year to be considered for the Norris; good thing he has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
2011/12 Playoffs

7GP, 1 point, Even +/-
Sergei Gonchar had more points.

They both didn't do well that year, but saying Karlsson consistently does well in the playoffs is laughable.
Perhaps you should try watching the games rather than just quoting stat lines. Ask Ranger fans how the thought he played last playoffs. I find it hard to believe anyone who paid attention to his performance in last year's playoffs could think he did not play extremely well.

All things said, I expect Karlsson to be in the running for the norris again this year, though not likely to run away with the scoring title as he did last year. If the sens make the playoffs, he'll likely have another solid to great performance while being the sens best player on the ice. Does that mean he's the guy I'd take for a playoff run; it depends on the team. Ottawa needs him more than deeper teams (offensively) would, so he's a better fit here. A team like Vancouver would probably be better off with either Weber or Chara over him though, and I wouldn't disagree for them.

Micklebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.