HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need a heavyweight enforcer...

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Darcy Hordichuk on waivers?
Yes 21 33.87%
No 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I wonder if he'll test free agency this year. Montreal would be sure to come calling, and would likely outbid most for his services.
If he does become a free agent I sure hope that Montreal comes calling, I really want to see him playing in his hometown and beating down on Orr, Thornton, Neil and the rest of our division foes.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:44 PM
KiCaAw

vCash: 500
For decades, the NHL has repeated lied to everyone about how they were going to take measures to speed up the game, to make it more viewer-friendly, and to take the thugs out of the game, whose only purpose is to participate in "staged fights". More than any other team, it seems that the Montreal Canadiens repeatedly believe these perpetual lies.

All I want to see is the NHL come forward and tell the truth about the fact that they have markets that would fail without the "Don S Cherry brand of bullsh*t hockey". We know where those markets are, and now we can add Toronto to the list, thanks to the thinking of their current coach. Nothing more about that team.

Do you believe in "Hockey Gods" ?
I am not at all sure about this, myself, but I have noticed that in the early part of this season, it seems that every time that the Canadiens get into a mix-up, the zebras send players to the bin, and shortly afterwards, the opposing team scores a game-changing goal. So, the question then becomes whether or not having the "nuclear deterrent" is the real issue with this team. Had those goals against not happened, when they happened, then just maybe, this thread is only 30 pages long.

Winning face-offs, killing off the dumb-dumb penalties, and standing up for yourself instead of looking for someone else to do it. These are the things that this team needs to do for itself, more than the search for a knuckle-dragging cement-head who cannot be trusted for more than three 30-second shifts in a one-goal game.

How often does a knuckle-dragger come along, who can actually fit into a four line rotation regularly ? One who won't kill, or be killed, later down the road, because of a brain related injury. The evidence most certainly cannot be ignored. Some franchises, and their fans do not want this anymore, while other franchises, and their fans, and the NHL leadership simply do not care.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:51 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
When the Oilers signed Hordichuk in summer 2011 I was pretty skeptical about the signing. He didn't have the size you'd expect from an enforcer and nothing I had heard about him suggested that he could take a regular shift. So, it came off as a confusing downgrade on the departing Steve MacIntyre.

But he was a very peasant surprise last season. Most importantly, don't let his size fool you because he did well against Todd Fedoruk, Jared Boll, and George Parros. Matt Kassian was the only one who truly had his number. Even more encouraging was that he's a decent skater given his reputation and can take a regular shift on the fourth line, which means that he can hit and get in scrums and be the agitator that Oilers fans expected Ben Eager to be.

Assuming the Habs are looking for an enforcer and that they don't want to give up any assets, Hordichuk, at the very least, would be a good choice until the summer. He wasn't given much of a chance this year in Edmonton for some reason and injuries to the bottom-six mean that they need to recall players from OKC.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:52 PM
lampshade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
If he does become a free agent I sure hope that Montreal comes calling, I really want to see him playing in his hometown and beating down on Orr, Thornton, Neil and the rest of our division foes.
Let's settle the kettle he's played 10 NHL games, let's see him prove himself before we start talking about him "beating down" proven hw legends. Luckily for him he's in a soft western conference with not many hw's. He's fought 2 middleweights this year so far and his career high for fights in a season is 17. To mention him with Orr and Thornton is comical at best. He would be a asset for the habs though.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Gimme Bordeleau, plz!

Old
02-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Prongo
Beer

Jody Shelley is an option ..... Although he does get a lot of **** on the Flyers board, he is a strong character guy and will keep other teams goons in check. He is supposedly playing tonight against the Leafs for that specific reason. He could be had for relatively nothing, and hasn't dressed much for us.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:59 PM
habsrock76

Anyone is better then Armstrong, he's been completely useless, he neither brings or adds anything to the team.

Armstrong for Bordeleau, Do it!

Old
02-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
Let's settle the kettle he's played 10 NHL games, let's see him prove himself before we start talking about him "beating down" proven hw legends. Luckily for him he's in a soft western conference with not many hw's. He's fought 2 middleweights this year so far and his career high for fights in a season is 17. To mention him with Orr and Thornton is comical at best. He would be a asset for the habs though.
He did pretty good against Orr here:

If you ask around the fighting forums most of the people will have him at the very top of the hockey HW's over the past couple of seasons.

Last edited by Ivan13: 02-11-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old
02-11-2013, 03:14 PM
lampshade*

Quote:
He did pretty good against Orr here:

If you ask around the fighting forums most of the people will have him at the very top of the hockey HW's over the past couple of seasons.
Every hw has lost a fight mate. McIntyre had his face busted by Goddard, Boogard McGratton have all lost. Showing a highlight of Orr losing doesn't prove anything. Orr has the best hw highlight package out there if you want to go have a look. He may be at the top of the AHL over the past couple of seasons however we will see how he fares in the NHL. fights with Shelly, McGratton, Scott, Parros ect will be telling. Like I said slow down before you go making him a crown for the hw champ.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 02-11-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old
02-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Added a poll on the Hordichuk option. (I'll zap it after tomorrow).

Old
02-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

If it's at the expense of Armstrong, I say take it.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Every hw has lost a fight mate. McIntyre had his face busted by Goddard, Boogard McGratton have all lost. Showing a highlight of Orr losing doesn't prove anything. Orr has the best hw highlight package out there if you want to go have a look. He may be at the top of the AHL over the past couple of seasons however we will see how he fares in the NHL. fights with Shelly, McGratton, Scott, Parros ect will be telling. Like I said slow down before you go making him a crown for the hw champ.
I don't recall Big Bird losing one.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

I wanted Hordichuk on the Habs for years, he's aging though, and don't want to fight as much as he did when younger, but the guy can skate, hit, and play a regular shift on the 4th line without being a liability. I remember him as being a bit crazy earlier in his career, I guess he calmed down. But, he could play the role Staubitz had last season, and that, I wouldn't mind, just rotate him with Armstrong (cause he ain't doing anything special when he plays, I honestly expected big hits... disappointed... )

Last edited by Vasculio: 02-11-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old
02-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

apparently the National Hokey League has no ideasa about justice, the Habs need an on-ice assassin to take care of Grabovski.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
I don't recall Big Bird losing one.
Robinson has. I'm quite certain he has.

Unless you're referring to Bordeleau in which case he has. That's also an insult to Robinson, but I don't think you're reffering to Bordeleau as big bird.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:58 PM

It would be funny if Bergevin just signed Stortini after all this talk of MacIntyre, Kassian, Bordeleau, McGrattan. I would not be surprised though.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:59 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
When the Oilers signed Hordichuk in summer 2011 I was pretty skeptical about the signing. He didn't have the size you'd expect from an enforcer and nothing I had heard about him suggested that he could take a regular shift. So, it came off as a confusing downgrade on the departing Steve MacIntyre.

But he was a very peasant surprise last season. Most importantly, don't let his size fool you because he did well against Todd Fedoruk, Jared Boll, and George Parros. Matt Kassian was the only one who truly had his number. Even more encouraging was that he's a decent skater given his reputation and can take a regular shift on the fourth line, which means that he can hit and get in scrums and be the agitator that Oilers fans expected Ben Eager to be.

Assuming the Habs are looking for an enforcer and that they don't want to give up any assets, Hordichuk, at the very least, would be a good choice until the summer. He wasn't given much of a chance this year in Edmonton for some reason and injuries to the bottom-six mean that they need to recall players from OKC.
Thanks. I knew he was a decent skater. And he's actually a good hitter too with his speed, which is above average for guys who play that role.

It sure would be more useful to have Hordichuk on the pro roster than guys like Nokalainen or Blunden when he's here.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
It would be funny if Bergevin just signed Stortini after all this talk of MacIntyre, Kassian, Bordeleau, McGrattan. I would not be surprised though.
Even worse. He signs Kyle Hagel.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

And btw stop about Armstrong doing nothing in the Leafs game. He never really was a fighter or even tough. He made a career out of agitating , cheap shotting and htting players in questionable ways. He was never the "go to" guy when things started to rough with any of his previous teams. Sure he has fought a few times but that's mostly because he had to answer for his actions and not because he wanted to defend teammates.

Don't expect him to even be a semi enforcer a la Moen and Prust because he never was and never will be. And btw i'm not trying to defend him and i actually want to see him in the press box or waived. All i'm saying is that some fans expectations about the type of game he plays were not founded on reality.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Habtchum*

Let's try to get a player who can also play, like Konopka, McLeod or Thorburn.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:12 PM
TennisMenace

I will be happy with any HW who can punch and who replaces Armstrong.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:15 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
McGrattan is definitely not something I'd look to add to an NHL lineup. A real headcase and has some real shady rumours going about him.

Kassian is not available, as pointed by their coach. He's still in the Wild's plans.
Mcgrattan is loved by is teamates. yes, he got problem with coke but not anymore. Funnig things is that when he was in Syracuse, he played on the pp and got 10pts in 20 games. Mcgrattan>Hordi

Old
02-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Go get Bordeleau in Denver. He could be had for a pick or prospect. The guy is 25 years old. He's very intimidating on the ice.

No to Hordichuck. Yes, he can go with most of HW, but he's small and old. We need a imposing body in our bottom six, like Bordeleau.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Go get Bordeleau in Denver. He could be had for a pick or prospect. The guy is 25 years old. He's very intimidating on the ice.

No to Hordichuck. Yes, he can go with most of HW, but he's small and old. We need a imposing body in our bottom six, like Bordeleau.
Highly doubt Colorado would deal him that simply. I mean, if it were, Bergervin would be right on it. Get for this PR, too.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:18 PM
bud12

Quote:
go watch Ahl, Bordeleau have showed enough to be on the same class as mcgrattan,orr,big mac....

Closed Thread