Notices

Is fighting no longer our friend?

Old
02-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Ortdogg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Why did McQuaid skate away when Scott showed up after he pushed Kaleta ? Because he knew he'd get pummelled and no one would come to his help, exact same reason why Kaleta didn't want to fight last year.
pretty sure mcquaid didnt "skate away" when scott came over, he stood there and looked him in the face. I can assure you that the Bruins are not afraid of scott. they may not fight him, and if they do they will likely lose, but they are not afraid.

most grown men I know are not afraid of other grown men.

Ortdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Btown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortdogg View Post
campbell didnt have to win. Kaletta was running around early in that game and as soon as campbell challenged him kaletta went away as was rarely seen the rest of the game. gregory campbell did his job and i can assure you his teamates appriciated it, even if some of the fans didnt
Finally someone who understands the importance of what Soupy dose.
Win or lose

Btown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

I saw Kaleta duck McQuaid last night sooo IDK what some of you are talking about.

Also saw Scott trying to get rough with Dougie which I do NOT like

I am not opposed to this team getting a heavy like Mcgrattan, Parros or Kassian.

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:55 PM
5Minutes4Fighting
Killer B's!

Quote:
I'd rather see them out there intimidating instead of being intimidated and skating away when Scott comes over, like McQuaid did last night.
Skating away is not always equal to being intimidated. Skating away when its the smart thing to do has nothing to do with intimidation. If Scott doesn't fight, he brings nothing positive to the game and, in fact brings negative to the Sabres. By skating away, you reduce his game to ZERO. A designated fighter without a fight is a wasted roster spot.

5Minutes4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:57 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Anyone else think it's a little weak for Kaleta to be wearing a shield when he plays the type of game that he does?

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:59 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
Boston should have a designated goon playing games vs teams that dress these giant goons. If the other team can spare a spot for one, so can Boston for a game. Especially since its not fair to Thornton to face these monsters. By not having one, we lose the advantage of having Lucic & Chara in these sort of games. Designated goon & Thornton can take care of the other team's goons so that Chara and Lucic don't have to fight these scrubs. I don't want to lose either player fighting against these goons, they should stick to fighting big minute players on the other team.

Last night Scott, Stafford and Ott didn't have to answere to anything. Yeah we won, but it would've been nice to exact some pain as well on that team. Remember how tough Ottawa was with MacGratten, Niel, and Chara? I want something like that when we play Toronto or Buffalo.

Its only one spot on the team every other game, Campbell sits, McGratten plays vs Toronto. Then Campbell switches in vs Montreal. Don't see what the big deal is.

To maximize what Lucic & Chara provide, you got to have a big time heavy.
DUDE... if anyone is going to sit for us to dress a monster its THORNTON not Campbell who is an important part of the best PK in the league. What ridiculous logic. You'd honestly sit Campbell and screw up our PK just to get a guy tougher than Thornton in the lineup?

If we dress a monster Thornton gets scratched for someone and that is us telling Shawn he isn't good at what has kept him in the NHL into his 30s. That is life, sorry it doesn't fit your agenda. So like I said if you want that monster to play Thornton sits there is no way around that sorry.

Campbell is bad at fighting. I respect him for it but I wish he'd stop since he sucks at it and his fights are not emotional out of the heat of the moment and in retaliation to something, they are the BS staged 4th liner fights that should be removed from hockey.

I have never minded Ference or Horton dropping the gloves they do it appropriate situations. When Campbell fights I am never excited and just hope he hangs in there and gets a draw.

Fighting doesn't help us right now. Thornton was trending upwards as a fighter but the Scott fight changes things and 10 or more NHL teams ice crappy players I'd rather Shawn not go with. Lucic and Chara I only want fighting other first liners (not gonna happen.) Campbell sucks at it. And Horton and Ference are good fighters for non fighters but I don't really want either dropping them at this stage...ditto McQuaid who is clearly afraid to take on a real fighter.

Things change, I don't want any line brawl games right now like the Dallas and Atlanta ones in years past.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsABruin View Post
I am not opposed to this team getting a heavy like Mcgrattan, Parros or Kassian.
Steve Mcintyre would work for me.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
Buffalo was a mediocre team, and in order to make themselves "tougher" they cut their talent level even more. And their golden boy on defense is such a mess he's getting scratched.

They got lucky once, and even then they gave up 4 goals. Buffalo's defense last night reminded me of the Dave Lewis team. They're headed for a lottery pick, and I doubt winning a few fights against Boston is going to make their fans feel any better about it.
Nailed it on all fronts. Second year in a row the new look Sabres were supposed to make an impact (last year they got Ehrhoff and Leino), looks like the second year in a row they'll flop mightily.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:01 PM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
Anyone else think it's a little weak for Kaleta to be wearing a shield when he plays the type of game that he does?
its kaleta

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Steve Mcintyre would work for me.
Ever since I saw him go crazy in that one video IDK

Old
02-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsABruin View Post
Ever since I saw him go crazy in that one video IDK
I'd love to see it. I'm sure it wouldn't take long for him to neutralize Scott.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
The O'Reilly Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Very good post... I feel the same way now... I thought it would work out better for them...
A coaching change is needed. A team with Lindy Ruff is not going to have that kind of identity no matter how hard they try.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:07 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Why did McQuaid skate away when Scott showed up after he pushed Kaleta ? Because he knew he'd get pummelled and no one would come to his help, exact same reason why Kaleta didn't want to fight last year.
if you think McQuaid was genuinely afraid to fight Scott you probably have not been watching this team much over the last couple years. McQuaid walked away because nobody on this team has anything to gain from fighting Scott. The Bruins were dominating the game last night so there's no reason to give them a free fight at home and give them any kind of spark.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Steve Mcintyre is currently with the Pens.

7th Rounder for him

But this is all fantasy

Old
02-11-2013, 03:23 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
He went with Lucic....He certainly would go with Ference...and destroy him more then likely...McQuaid on the other hand, not so sure..
i'll take Ference if Kaleta takes off the shield- he turtled last year right infront of me; lost all respect....my kid actually liked him because he was hilarious playing soccer before the game but to show the turtle

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:24 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
if you think McQuaid was genuinely afraid to fight Scott you probably have not been watching this team much over the last couple years. McQuaid walked away because nobody on this team has anything to gain from fighting Scott. The Bruins were dominating the game last night so there's no reason to give them a free fight at home and give them any kind of spark.
he's a new fan since 2008 so cut him some slack- he's usually to busy putting Knight in all these phantom trades over in the main board

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:25 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Sugar lost to a mutant and Soupy lost to Kaleta. Soupy has heart but no chops, the guy has never been a good fighter.

Who's roster would you prefer? We have Chara, McQuaid, Ference, Boychuk, Lucic, Horton and Thornton. Guys who can PLAY regular shifts (which is required in a short season) and keep the peace. If teams want to run around then that is fine. It gets this team going. Eventually, someone will poke the bear just enough and we will beat them down.

Not worried about this teams toughness at all.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:26 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
DUDE... if anyone is going to sit for us to dress a monster its THORNTON not Campbell who is an important part of the best PK in the league. What ridiculous logic. You'd honestly sit Campbell and screw up our PK just to get a guy tougher than Thornton in the lineup?

If we dress a monster Thornton gets scratched for someone and that is us telling Shawn he isn't good at what has kept him in the NHL into his 30s. That is life, sorry it doesn't fit your agenda. So like I said if you want that monster to play Thornton sits there is no way around that sorry.

Campbell is bad at fighting. I respect him for it but I wish he'd stop since he sucks at it and his fights are not emotional out of the heat of the moment and in retaliation to something, they are the BS staged 4th liner fights that should be removed from hockey.

I have never minded Ference or Horton dropping the gloves they do it appropriate situations. When Campbell fights I am never excited and just hope he hangs in there and gets a draw.

Fighting doesn't help us right now. Thornton was trending upwards as a fighter but the Scott fight changes things and 10 or more NHL teams ice crappy players I'd rather Shawn not go with. Lucic and Chara I only want fighting other first liners (not gonna happen.) Campbell sucks at it. And Horton and Ference are good fighters for non fighters but I don't really want either dropping them at this stage...ditto McQuaid who is clearly afraid to take on a real fighter.

Things change, I don't want any line brawl games right now like the Dallas and Atlanta ones in years past.
It's strange to me that you'd say the bolded literally one day after Campbell had a retaliatory scrap that wasn't at all a staged goon-fest; he saw someone hit Seidenberg and he immediately went after the guy.

I'd actually say most of his fights are either immediately after a hit or after jawing with a guy throughout a game ... rarely does he have staged goon fights, IMHO.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:27 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
McQuaid, Lucic, Horton and Thornton sure were quiet in terms of physical play yesterday and last wee. It doesn't help that 3 of them are concussed and would get sent to the hospital dropping with Scott.
Fine. The Sabres have a nuclear deterrent. He is also a MASSIVE liability when he plays, it's like being on a powerplay.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:32 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Scott has only been on the ice for one GA the entire season....

Granted, his total minutes played this year only add up to about 50 total minutes. :-)

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Scott has only been on the ice for one GA the entire season....

Granted, his total minutes played this year only add up to about 50 total minutes. :-)
He looked great when the Bruins had the puck in the Sabre zone for about 2 minutes, he just kept spinning in a circle...Marchand skated right around him like it was a drill

Old
02-11-2013, 03:37 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. If you want to be an agitator, don't hide behind the visor. Embrace it and back it up if and when you have to. Wearing a visor and playing that style of game is beyond weak, IMO...

LSCII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortdogg View Post
campbell didnt have to win. Kaletta was running around early in that game and as soon as campbell challenged him kaletta went away as was rarely seen the rest of the game. gregory campbell did his job and i can assure you his teamates appriciated it, even if some of the fans didnt
I don't understand this...

Ok, so conventional wisdom has said (and I've totally disagreed with it) that beating the crap out of a rat will deter him from being a rat. Now this is clearly not the case, as every rat has gotten pounded before: Lemieux, Tucker, Linsman, Ott, Kaleta, etc. Yet they are still rats. But, at least LOGICALLY that idea makes some sense (even if all evidence points against it)....

But now you are suggesting that if you challenge a rat and get demolished by him, THAT will deter him? What logic is there to that? Like Kaleta who normally runs around causing problems, does so, gets challenged, beats back the challenge in easy fashion and now thinks to himself, "Gee I better not do anything, I may have to kick the crap out of someone else."

I also don't understand why people are ok with starting a fight after a clean hit. Seems that most everyone hates that play, but now we are all ok with it?

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Absolutely, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Fire Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
Fine. The Sabres have a nuclear deterrent. He is also a MASSIVE liability when he plays, it's like being on a powerplay.
Sure, that's why just send him out there for a specific purpose, otherwise he's scratched.

Fire Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote