Cap Space Moves...

Old
02-10-2013, 09:10 AM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Iginla is a notorious slow starter. Don't judge him by not having played 10 games this year.
he's mid 30's and looks slower to me than even Olympic year when I wanted him here and spent a lot of time watching him, AND more importantly to me, people with more knowledge than me about the NHL told me he's still a good player but long past great and his rep is ahead of his skills these days. He also said scouts know this.

But your point is well taken though and any deal will be around April 1st so ther is 7 weeks and about 20-25 games to show us who he is, and what needs the Bruins have

A lot can happen in 25 games and Boston may need nothing, other areas, and if that area how do they view him, view others and cost

Im pretty confident Chiarelli and company will not get hosed, not panic, and be extremely patient and protective of the handful of guys they project is future NHL players

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Yeah a lot of people here had preconceived notions that Kaberle would be awful before even pulling on a Bruins sweater. At that point it's basically manifest destiny.. there was nothing the guy could do to make that trade worth it and they would say anything to not only convince themselves or others that Kaberle didn't help win the Cup.. but that he was actually detrimental and the Bruins could have won it a lot easier without him

All we know for sure is that after trading for Kaberle, the Bruins won the Stanley Cup.

Didn't he have the most assists among defenseman for that run, by the way? I seem to remember something like that.
Yep. He helped the transition game IMO. Not as much as we hoped, of course, but I still don't think he was that bad. Of course I'm glad we didn't keep him, but when some suggest the Cup was won with or without or him, or even despite him, that's ridiculous.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLBRUIN View Post
I'm glad your not the GM, to mortgage the future for a guy who's best years are well behind him is not a smart move, I much prefer getting back a guy like Ryder, the cost will be much less and he already knows the guys and the system, plus he is playing great.
What future? Chara, ference and thornton are the only older guys on the team. The rest are in their 20s and locked up for the most part. There isn't really a spot for spooner or khoklachev unless chiarelli makes one as neither of them fit on the 3rd line

Montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
he's mid 30's and looks slower to me than even Olympic year when I wanted him here and spent a lot of time watching him, AND more importantly to me, people with more knowledge than me about the NHL told me he's still a good player but long past great and his rep is ahead of his skills these days. He also said scouts know this.

But your point is well taken though and any deal will be around April 1st so ther is 7 weeks and about 20-25 games to show us who he is, and what needs the Bruins have

A lot can happen in 25 games and Boston may need nothing, other areas, and if that area how do they view him, view others and cost

Im pretty confident Chiarelli and company will not get hosed, not panic, and be extremely patient and protective of the handful of guys they project is future NHL players
I would still like him here but I can't act like I watch tons of Flames games. If scouts and people who watch him regularly say he's just good, then I fall on the side of not going nuts for him.

I do think that getting traded to a real contender would give him a good boost, but the idea of some of the prices being discussed around here are scary. It's not like Caron + 1st is enough to get him.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:32 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
I would still like him here but I can't act like I watch tons of Flames games. If scouts and people who watch him regularly say he's just good, then I fall on the side of not going nuts for him.

I do think that getting traded to a real contender would give him a good boost, but the idea of some of the prices being discussed around here are scary. It's not like Caron + 1st is enough to get him.
three things will dictate if Boston is interested assumiing Iginla is playing well
need
availability
cost

lot of considerations in play and April 1st is a long ways away in the hockey world

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:37 AM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Quote:

Bruins aren't really a team predicated on speed so Iginla would fit right in lol, especially if you are sticking him with lucic and Krejci

The Dangley One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Is Daymond Langkow retired? He'd be a decent 3rd liner.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Montecristo

How about kristian huselius? He's still a FA, LW who has had some good seasons in columbus when healthy

Montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:40 PM
sjaustin77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
How about kristian huselius? He's still a FA, LW who has had some good seasons in columbus when healthy
Don't know if he filed the paperwork to make it official, but he retired due to injury.

sjaustin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:46 PM
sjaustin77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Is Daymond Langkow retired? He'd be a decent 3rd liner.
He has been in sharp decline since 2007. After the lockout, I'm not sure he could still score over 20 points in a full season. Declining Points since 2007 - 77, 65, 49, 37, 1 (injury), 30.

Probably better than Bourque and maybe worth a minimum contract if injuries continue but we can do much better.

sjaustin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:00 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Andrew Brunette
Brendan Morrison
Dominic Moore
Trent Hunter

Some guys out there if your looking to pick up someone off the scrap heap to play on the 3rd/4th line. Though it seems more likely they go out and bring in a legit 2nd/3rd liner via trade with all the cap space now.

The Dangley One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:04 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I'd be very happy with Moore if he's close to being in game shape but I believe he lost his wife this year so he may not be interested in hockey at least for now.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
BOS is likely to sign vet Jay Pandolfo to a contract this week. He has been skating/traveling with Bruins without a contract.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Ratty

Quote:
BOS is likely to sign vet Jay Pandolfo to a contract this week. He has been skating/traveling with Bruins without a contract.
After a stint in Providence, fourth line LW with Paille moving up to Bourque's spot?

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:15 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Should Campbell/Paille/Peverly/Bourque be concerned?

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:22 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Should Campbell/Paille/Peverly/Bourque be concerned?
of course not. he's obviously just an extra body with some experience that they can use when guys inevitably get hurt/need a day off.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:14 PM
jmeehan1985

Might be a long shot but Khudobin is playing well and if he keeps it up I wonder if he could be a trade asset. He will be a free agent and if you package him with someone it might get you something useful in return. I know he's the backup I don't see why you couldn't promote someone from AHL.

jmeehan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:23 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
His fanbase has been craving a new era for the past half of a decade. If Feaster wants the Bruins to clear their cupboards, he can go pound sand. Chiarelli is more intelligent than that, and you can bet that any legitimately successful franchise has someone with at least a half a brain at the helm. No one is trading their best prospects for Iginla... and NO ONE is even going to come close to offering a player like Tyler Seguin.

Feaster can either attempt to justify his return for Iginla at the trade deadline (less than everyone will think) OR he can spend an off-season attempting to explain why he didn't get SOMETHING for his aging star after he signs elsewhere with nothing to show.
I'm not saying I would be in favor of such a deal and I'm not arguing against any of the above (I actually agree with everything you said sans the 'no one will trade their best prospects for Iginla') just thinking it out logically. I'm actually on board with you man, I don't want Iginla because of what I think he will cost. If he could be had for Caron and a 2nd, then the deal should've been done yesterday.

A much lesser deal is not only the more likely transaction, but it would also be better for the future continuity of being able to skate a winning team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeehan1985 View Post
Might be a long shot but Khudobin is playing well and if he keeps it up I wonder if he could be a trade asset. He will be a free agent and if you package him with someone it might get you something useful in return. I know he's the backup I don't see why you couldn't promote someone from AHL.
Goalie trades very rarely happen in the offseason nevermind at the deadline. Khudobin is worth more as the Bruins back-up than what they are likely to net in return.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:28 PM
corpfan1

I think we should go after WEISS.

corpfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
three things will dictate if Boston is interested assumiing Iginla is playing well
need
availability
cost

lot of considerations in play and April 1st is a long ways away in the hockey world

This is from Pierre LeBrun on twitter:

For Boston fans who keep asking me, I do not believe the B's have any interest in Jarome Iginla. I don't think they'll go there.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote