HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 12:25 PM
JackSlater

vCash: 500
Does anyone have thoughts on the coaching situation? I would guess that Babcock, Hitchcock and Ruff are all back. Lemaire retired, so we might see another defensive coach like Tippett or Julien added. Tippett seems ideal, as his defensive record is very impressive and he seems like an easy guy to get along with, which could be good for an assistant role.

Though I expect to see the familiar faces back, I would prefer if only Babcock returned. I haven't been impressed with Hitchcock or Ruff, either as assistants or especially as head coaches internationally. There are a lot of good Canadian coaches available in Quenneville, Vigneault, Trotz, Tippett, Julien and so on. Unfortunately many of them are lacking in international experience, which I think is in large part the fault of Hockey Canada, but they could bring a fresh presence that may have been missing the last time Canada attempted to repeat as gold medalists. There are also coaches like Andy Murray or Ralph Krueger who have loads of experience, so there are lots of choices out there.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Puckgenius*

I would go with Babcock, Hitchcock and Mclean for the A's.

I like Ruff but I think a guy like Paul Mclean has surpassed him and really taken the world by storm in his tenure with Ottawa.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Nuck This

I'm loving the Hamhuis love here. You guys follow hockey He should be on the team without a doubt. He's a big part of the Canucks success. He's played with Weber before so maybe stick him there but I'm thinking

Keith Weber
Doughty Pietrangelo
Hamhuis Letang
?

Edit: which of those right handed d men has played the left side the most? Does anybody know?

Old
02-10-2013, 03:00 PM
LeHabsMan

FORWARDS

Steven Stamkos - Sidney Crosby - Martin St.Louis*
Rick Nash - John Tavares - Claude Giroux
Jamie Benn - Jonathan Toews - Corey Perry*
Patrick Sharp - Patrice Bergeron - Eric Staal
- Tyler Seguin/Jordan Eberle/Jason Spezza

*= If St.Louis keeps up his play by next year and if Perry remembers how to score goals.

DEFENSEMEN

Drew Doughty - Shea Weber
Dan Hamhuis - Alex Pietrangelo
Duncan Keith - Brent Seabrook
-Kris Letang

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price
Roberto Luongo
-Cam Ward

Last edited by LeHabsMan: 02-10-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old
02-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
FORWARDS

Steven Stamkos - Sidney Crosby - Martin St.Louis*
Rick Nash - John Tavares - Claude Giroux
Jamie Benn - Jonathan Toews - Corey Perry
Patrick Sharp - Patrice Bergeron - Eric Staal
- Tyler Seguin/Jordan Eberle/Jason Spezza

DEFENSEMEN

Drew Doughty - Shea Weber
Dan Hamhuis - Alex Pietrangelo
Duncan Keith - Brent Seabrook
-Kris Letang

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price
Roberto Luongo
-Cam Ward
I'm fine with that line-up. So, I've reached the same conclusion as you, up until now I always gave Mike Richards the benefit of the doubt, assuming he could get his game together, but as of now, I have him a scratch, not included. He can join Getzlaf and Perry as the 3rd line on the B team. And falling. But you seem still intent on sticking with Perry.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:23 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I'm fine with that line-up. So, I've reached the same conclusion as you, up until now I always gave Mike Richards the benefit of the doubt, assuming he could get his game together, but as of now, I have him a scratch, not included. He can join Getzlaf and Perry as the 3rd line on the B team. And falling. But you seem still intent on sticking with Perry.
I changed something up on my post.

Getzlaf and Richards are good enough to be on the team but arent playing to their potential. There are just so many centres that you cant bring struggling players. At this point, definetely off the team.

Perry is also not performing but brings grit and should be able to perform with Toews.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Missionhockey

David Clarkson for team Canada?

It was something that I never put much thought to until the announcers talked about it today. What do you think?

Old
02-10-2013, 09:50 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Zero chance.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Zero chance.
Why not ??? 2nd in the league for goals. Fights / hits / scores. Great team guy

Old
02-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Kovalpunch

if he made the team, i guarantee you the line he would be on would be canadas best line. The guy does not lose a puck battle. Canada will constantly have the puck with him on the ice.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Martyros

And who's spot is he going to take?

St.louis can't even get a spot!

Last edited by Martyros: 02-10-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old
02-10-2013, 09:54 PM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

vCash: 1250
Guys like Spezza, Getzlaf, Perry, Benn, Thornton, and Seguin are going to have to fight tooth and nail to get a spot on the team.

Clarkson has no chance IMO.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Heard that during the broadcast and legitimately lol'd.

Old
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalpunch View Post
if he made the team, i guarantee you the line he would be on would be canadas best line. The guy does not lose a puck battle. Canada will constantly have the puck with him on the ice.
Once he gets the puck in the corner with some speed, good luck getting it away with him. He is both shifty and strong with a dman on his back.

Old
MastuhNinks

I can see why an American would want this to happen.

Old
Crabby Williams

Not a chance.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:49 PM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
If there was fighting, may....no.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:05 AM
professorchaos

Nash - Crosby - Stamkos
E. Staal - Toews - Giroux
Benn - Tavares - Hodgson
Couture - Bergeron - Perry
Seguin/Eberle

Letang - Weber
Doughty - Pietrangelo
M. Staal - Seabrook
Del Zotto

Price
Luongo
Dubnyk

Old
02-11-2013, 03:07 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
I changed something up on my post.

Getzlaf and Richards are good enough to be on the team but arent playing to their potential. There are just so many centres that you cant bring struggling players. At this point, definetely off the team.

Perry is also not performing but brings grit and should be able to perform with Toews.
peppering in a little grit is fine by me, but can't we find a little grit out of another RW who IS playing well and can skate and is not racking up the PIMs where in a short tournament, single game knock out on big ice. I'm telling you, including Perry will most likely cost us.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:37 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
peppering in a little grit is fine by me, but can't we find a little grit out of another RW who IS playing well and can skate and is not racking up the PIMs where in a short tournament, single game knock out on big ice. I'm telling you, including Perry will most likely cost us.
Fair argument. What would your lines look like?

Old
02-11-2013, 01:26 PM
86Habs

Quote:
I guess James Neal could be that guy; he's been playing really well so far this year (much better than Perry), has some sand-paper to his game, and while he doesn't play with Crosby at ES, he's at least familiar with him from playing the PP. Our other options down the right side - Eberle, St. Louis, Giroux (assuming conversion from C), Nash, Seguin, and Skinner, don't really have that element to their games, though they aren't exactly pushovers, either.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
I guess James Neal could be that guy; he's been playing really well so far this year (much better than Perry), has some sand-paper to his game, and while he doesn't play with Crosby at ES, he's at least familiar with him from playing the PP. Our other options down the right side - Eberle, St. Louis, Giroux (assuming conversion from C), Nash, Seguin, and Skinner, don't really have that element to their games, though they aren't exactly pushovers, either.
I like Neal, but as Stevie Y himself says, "I don't want too many players playing out of position."

I know Neal is a LW, so as an option to cut Perry (RW) out, does Neal play a lot on the right side? One of the reasons why I like Nash for every roster, is that he is LW/RW can play on any line 1 to 3. Now he didn't mesh well with Crosby in Vancouver, but you get the idea, I'd prefer most of the team to play their position, a few in different positions, i.e. Tavaras on the wing and not at center. and then a few versatile players that can play anywhere (sort of)

The issue I have with Perry despite what I've already written, is his role to be effective is limiting, he can only play on either of the 1st 2 lines, he doesn't have a spot on the 3rd line which I see as E. Staal-Towes-Nash. And on the 4th line Perry is even more useless. anyway...

Old
02-11-2013, 03:07 PM
86Habs

Quote:
I like Neal, but as Stevie Y himself says, "I don't want too many players playing out of position."

I know Neal is a LW, so as an option to cut Perry (RW) out, does Neal play a lot on the right side? One of the reasons why I like Nash for every roster, is that he is LW/RW can play on any line 1 to 3. Now he didn't mesh well with Crosby in Vancouver, but you get the idea, I'd prefer most of the team to play their position, a few in different positions, i.e. Tavaras on the wing and not at center. and then a few versatile players that can play anywhere (sort of)

The issue I have with Perry despite what I've already written, is his role to be effective is limiting, he can only play on either of the 1st 2 lines, he doesn't have a spot on the 3rd line which I see as E. Staal-Towes-Nash. And on the 4th line Perry is even more useless. anyway...
I've always been under the impression that Neal plays both RW and LW (though he shoots LHed). He made the 1st All-Star Team last year as a RW, and actually came within a few votes of making the 2nd AST as a LW. Like Nash, this makes him even more versatile in my view.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
I've always been under the impression that Neal plays both RW and LW (though he shoots LHed). He made the 1st All-Star Team last year as a RW, and actually came within a few votes of making the 2nd AST as a LW. Like Nash, this makes him even more versatile in my view.
Hey, then if he can play either side and is putting up points, Babcock or Hitch can use him on a line with Sid, I'm all for that option, unless Perry rebounds and starts putting up points to justify his spot on the team, then I'll take Neal over Perry for sure. No free passes, players have to show they belong on the team with results/stats.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:28 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Hey, then if he can play either side and is putting up points, Babcock or Hitch can use him on a line with Sid, I'm all for that option, unless Perry rebounds and starts putting up points to justify his spot on the team, then I'll take Neal over Perry for sure. No free passes, players have to show they belong on the team with results/stats.
At this point, yes; still a lot of hockey to be played between now and December, though.

Closed Thread