HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room VII

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 12:36 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Have you ever played Broomball? It's a sport played running on ice with your shoes on and a stick with a wedge on the end similar to a broom. We've got a league with 80 teams in it at my school(Boston University) and it's a great game.

Yeah it's awesome. My skating is nowhere near the level it would be needed to play ice hockey, so this is the closest I can get

Old
02-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Isn't this massively dangerous to break your leg if it slides in the wrong direction?

Old
02-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
He's on pace for 8 points. He's 1 assist in 10 games.
Wow. Even for only 10 games that's not good. It makes me happy though, because he's in the Hawks division. If Ovechkin is still going at 94 over Bucyk, Firsov, and D. Bentley, then I expect Weber will still go around round 14.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:45 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
Isn't this massively dangerous to break your leg if it slides in the wrong direction?
Not really anymore than it would be on skates

Old
02-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Not really anymore than it would be on skates
completely disagree , the chances of sliding on foot compared to on skate on the ice are way bigger.

It's hard to explain the physic in words , but on skate your leg won't completely slide violently out of control in any direction , on foot it could definitely happen , especially if you're running or making quick movement.When the ground is full of ice on the street many people broke their leg that way , I never heard of anybody breaking their leg by just skating , sure with contact and the boards it could happen but not because of just being on the ice skating.

(Take note that I'm talking about people who have at least basic skating skills , I don't know about the people who can't skate , I can't even remember living without knowing how to skate).

The most dangerous thing with skating is when your blade get stucks in a small hole.This is really bad for the knee involved and can be very painful.

Last edited by Jafar: 02-08-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old
02-11-2013, 09:32 AM
jkrx

This years world championship is going to be a attendance fiasco. Only 16% of the tickets have been bought.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Does anyone here watch the show TopGear? (the UK version, obviously).
Clarkson and co. took quite a break last year, but all three episodes of Season 19 have been amazing IMHO.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:31 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
completely disagree , the chances of sliding on foot compared to on skate on the ice are way bigger.

It's hard to explain the physic in words , but on skate your leg won't completely slide violently out of control in any direction , on foot it could definitely happen , especially if you're running or making quick movement.When the ground is full of ice on the street many people broke their leg that way , I never heard of anybody breaking their leg by just skating , sure with contact and the boards it could happen but not because of just being on the ice skating.

(Take note that I'm talking about people who have at least basic skating skills , I don't know about the people who can't skate , I can't even remember living without knowing how to skate).

The most dangerous thing with skating is when your blade get stucks in a small hole.This is really bad for the knee involved and can be very painful.
Usually people fall on ice because it's unexpected

Old
02-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
Does anyone here watch the show TopGear? (the UK version, obviously). Clarkson and co. took quite a break last year, but all three episodes of Season 19 have been amazing IMHO.
I don't. but I'm curious what guy's favorites are. Mine are Portlandia, Doctor Who, and I have a feeling I'm really going to like this upcoming show Orphan Black.

Quote:
Orphan Black follows outsider, orphan and street-wise chameleon Sarah. After witnessing a woman's suicide, Sarah assumes the strangers identity - who happens to look just like her. Expecting to solve all her problems by cleaning out the dead woman's savings, Sarah is instead thrust headlong into a kaleidoscopic mystery as she realizes the dizzying truth - she and the dead woman are clones. As Sarah searches for answers, she discovers the chilling fact that there are more people like her out there - genetically identical individuals who were planted in unsuspecting birth parents and nurtured in completely different circumstances. With no idea who created the clones, she'll need to discover the reason in a hurry as an assassin is killing them one by one.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2234222/

Old
02-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
Does anyone here watch the show TopGear? (the UK version, obviously).
Clarkson and co. took quite a break last year, but all three episodes of Season 19 have been amazing IMHO.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Origin of the term "Finish your check". Anyone have any idea?

Old
02-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
It's probably originates from one of the "intimidation" coaches like Shero.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
It's probably originates from one of the "intimidation" coaches like Shero.
Quote:
The Columbus Blue Jackets hurried to make history. Just more than 24 hours after firing Scott Howson, they announced the hiring of Jarmo Kekalainen of Finland as the first European to be a general manager in the National Hockey League. Kekalainen, director of amateur scouting with the St. Louis Blues 2002-10, held a news conference Wednesday in his native Finland at the same time the Blue Jackets Blue Jackets held theirs in Ohio. ''One of my dreams since I hung up my skates has been to be a GM of an NHL team sometime. Now that dream has come true,'' Kekalainen said in Helsinki at the home arena of the Jokerit club, where he's been GM since 2010. ''I'm really happy and pleased, even proud, that I've been give this chance.''
First the Bears hire a great Canadian Football League Coach, then you and jkrx hire this guy. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/blue-ja...3804--nhl.html

Old
02-13-2013, 07:56 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
I don't. but I'm curious what guy's favorites are. Mine are Portlandia, Doctor Who, and I have a feeling I'm really going to like this upcoming show Orphan Black.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2234222/
Doctor Who is magnificent. I don't know how I get into it but I love it.

My personal favorites are NCIS, Bones, Psych, Suits, Chopped, and Castle.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:13 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Let's hope someone goes after Crosby or Malkin in the next game.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:14 AM
vecens24

Quote:
Let's hope someone goes after Crosby or Malkin in the next game.
You're kidding if you actually think that was intentional.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:16 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
You're kidding if you actually think that was intentional.
Yea, it just happened to be Cooke and it just happened to be the best player on the other team.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:26 AM
vecens24

Quote:
Yea, it just happened to be Cooke and it just happened to be the best player on the other team.
Like....did you even watch it? Go on TSN, watch the clip, watch someone with hockey intelligence (Aaron Ward in this scenario) talk about how that play happens literally dozens of times a game, and it was just a fluke accident.

This isn't directed towards you particularly Hobnobs, but just generally at everyone: can we just have a modicum of sense of how FAST that play happened? It's a bang-bang type of reaction where his leg just rode up Karlsson's as he tried to get him into the boards. There's no way that Cooke meant to do it. Let alone the fact that Cooke is literally looking the other way as it happens.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:03 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Like....did you even watch it? Go on TSN, watch the clip, watch someone with hockey intelligence (Aaron Ward in this scenario) talk about how that play happens literally dozens of times a game, and it was just a fluke accident.

This isn't directed towards you particularly Hobnobs, but just generally at everyone: can we just have a modicum of sense of how FAST that play happened? It's a bang-bang type of reaction where his leg just rode up Karlsson's as he tried to get him into the boards. There's no way that Cooke meant to do it. Let alone the fact that Cooke is literally looking the other way as it happens.
We both watched it. Could easily have been accident but it's Cooke so I have my doubts too.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:08 AM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
I was interested in this too so I searched the Google News archives for the earliest mentions of finishing checks. The term first appeared in the late 1970s. Here are the first few mentions.

Aug 18, 1976. Bob Pulford

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...k+hockey&hl=en

May 9, 1978. Roger Neilson

Feb 28, 1979. Larry Robinson

F60717F73D5D12728DDDA10A94DA405B898BF1D3

Apr 23, 1979. Larry Robinson

Jan 12, 1981. Eddie Johnston

It turns up occasionally through the 1980s but almost entirely in quotes from players and coaches, not as a term that the writers are using. I noticed a pattern in that most quotes in the mid-80s were from Montreal and Philadelphia sources - Mark Howe, Mike Keenan, Bob Gainey, Chris Nilan, etc. In the late 80s you start seeing mentions from Chicago and St Louis players. Around 1992 the phrase seemed to enter the vocabulary of sportswriters - not just players and coaches - and it turns up a lot more, increasing through the 1990s.

It's hard to make judgements on frequency because more sources are available in the archives over time, but the trends are noticeable in the New York Times alone.

I expect you'd have to talk to sources inside hockey to get more detail. If you do or have heard anything more I'd be interested in hearing it.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:18 AM
overpass

It's a good thing I still have the Ottawa Senators in the ATD because this NHL season is dead to me now.

I just hope Karlsson can come back next year fully recovered and continue to improve.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:26 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
It's a good thing I still have the Ottawa Senators in the ATD because this NHL season is dead to me now.

I just hope Karlsson can come back next year fully recovered and continue to improve.
A Hart-level seasoned ruined and Aflredssons last chance of a cup gone... Yes, this season is basically ruined for me too...

Old
02-14-2013, 08:30 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post

I hope his recovery doesn't affect his skating much because it is a huge part of his game.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:46 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Damn, that sucks, and not just for Sens fans. I really like Karlsson's game, it's always a treat to watch.

And if Cooke actually did it intentionally (and since he's proven utter scum I don't give him as much benefit of doubt as I'd give anyone else), it's pretty much team assassination.

As if one needed more reasons to loathe Pens.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:55 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
Damn, that sucks, and not just for Sens fans. I really like Karlsson's game, it's always a treat to watch.

And if Cooke actually did it intentionally (and since he's proven utter scum I don't give him as much benefit of doubt as I'd give anyone else), it's pretty much team assassination.

As if one needed more reasons to loathe Pens.
I think Cooke should have been banned from the NHL a while ago but I don't think it was intentional on his part.

It was a really awkward looking motion and he was looking the other way so, apart from the fact that he should have kept his feet on the ice in the first place, I think it was just a freak accident.

Closed Thread