Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peluso

Old
02-05-2013, 01:19 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 500
Speaking of 4th liners, Aaron Palushaj was claimed by the Avs today. IMO he's the type of guy we could use off waivers. Good grinder and a bit of offensive upside. I'm guessing we passed on him because Colorado is behind us on waiver priority.

BigZ65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:54 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
Well, I'm all ready for the game tonight. Time to catch a 3 hour nap before it starts.

Edit: And I apparently posted this in the wrong thread. Thought this was the GDT. >_>

Last edited by DespoticNewt: 02-05-2013 at 03:05 PM.
DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Jet
Big Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Wright can play all 3 forward positions. He is big, will hit and fight if needed, and is very strong defensively.

Peluso can...fight. Yeah. If you can't beat out Ryan Reaves for a roster spot, that's just sad. Fighting is a meaningless skill completely. Fighting is good to inspire your team when you are down for emotional reasons...fighting just to fight that goons do is completely pointless. Being "good" at fighting does not matter, it's the willingness to engage that is the point. And the proper sense when to do it. Goons have none of that, they just fight to keep there jobs, reason dinosaurs like Westgarth, Parros, Orr are being flushed out of the league. Thank god.

Also, as for putting up points, Kevin freaking Westgarth put up better points in AHL. Hell Jean-Francois Jacques was a ppg player in the AHL. Even if I can't say for sure Peluso won't be anything more than a goon (although I am pretty damn certain), I can GUARANTEE you one thing, he will NOT put up any kind of points in the NHL. None. Whatsoever.

At best, we get Chris Thorburn part 2, IMO, maybe slightly more hitting, but less good defensively and offensively. More realistically, something like a less good Ryan Reaves, urgh.

Also you should watch Antropov more. He finishes his check quite often, and "mixes it up" by being a pest among the best in the league.

As for someone who suggested trying Peluso at D, I shuddered. Honestly if they try him at forward for a game or two, fine whatever maybe they see something I can't for the life of me, but handicapping our already weak D with someone like him, wow, that will cause our GA to skyrocket. Moreso than already, you can cover for a weak forward, a weak D will kill you (we should know that by now ).
We don't see eye to eye on Peluso, but I will agree with one thing: trying him at D would be a recipe for disaster. Gone are the days where you could dress a Jim Kyte or a Shawn Cronin and still be successful. However, a guy like Marty McSorley actually ended up to be pretty decent at D after playing forward for most of his Oiler years.

Apparently Peluso can skate, and that is a big part of D. If his lateral movement, positioning and pivoting are decent you never know.

02-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Randall Ritchey
The Fourth Period

For the comment about not beating out Ryan Reaves.

As a Blues fan, Reaves is a huge factor on our team. People see him and think "goin". But when he isn't in he line up, thing get chaotic. He has good puck control, he moves the puck well, his like a freight train, and his hits are clean. He is a fore checking demon and in a vital part to our organization.

Peluso would have gotten time with us this year, no doubt about it.

He has improved a lot in his years in Peoria and has NHL skill. Much the same as Ryan Reaves. If he is played, you'll see that too.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Guerzy
Winnipeg Whiteout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
For the comment about not beating out Ryan Reaves.

As a Blues fan, Reaves is a huge factor on our team. People see him and think "goin". But when he isn't in he line up, thing get chaotic. He has good puck control, he moves the puck well, his like a freight train, and his hits are clean. He is a fore checking demon and in a vital part to our organization.

Peluso would have gotten time with us this year, no doubt about it.

He has improved a lot in his years in Peoria and has NHL skill. Much the same as Ryan Reaves. If he is played, you'll see that too.
Thanks for that input, Randall. It's nice to hear some opinions and get some good info on players from fans who see them regularly.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43225&dateline=142820  3509
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:57 PM
GermanJetsFan
Beaver Jedi

I guess Peluso will be our 13th forward against Toronto since Scheifele is back in Barrie. Maybe he'll get a first look for Thorburn? I'd like to see it.

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Guerzy
Winnipeg Whiteout

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
I guess Peluso will be our 13th forward against Toronto since Scheifele is back in Barrie. Maybe he'll get a first look for Thorburn? I'd like to see it.
This makes me happy. I hope we can see Peluso in the line-up so we can at least see what he can bring to the team and offer.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Randall Ritchey
The Fourth Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Thanks for that input, Randall. It's nice to hear some opinions and get some good info on players from fans who see them regularly.
I've seen a lot of Rivermen games over the last two years, even covered them publically from the website I wrote for. Peluso plays a mans game. Works hard every shift, wears down his opponents, for checks like a demon and scares the opposition.

Fighters in the AHL refused to fight him because they feared him. This year he showed his hands in a top 6 role. Played with Schwartz and Hensick on our top line for a while and didn't look out of place.

I interviewed him this year and he is surprisingly soft spoken. He, by all accounts, is a leader in the room but his demeanor is one of a calm player. Never panics, but will destroy the opponent when he has too. He is a treat to watch.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Guerzy
Winnipeg Whiteout

Quote:
I've seen a lot of Rivermen games over the last two years, even covered them publically from the website I wrote for. Peluso plays a mans game. Works hard every shift, wears down his opponents, for checks like a demon and scares the opposition.

Fighters in the AHL refused to fight him because they feared him. This year he showed his hands in a top 6 role. Played with Schwartz and Hensick on our top line for a while and didn't look out of place.

I interviewed him this year and he is surprisingly soft spoken. He, by all accounts, is a leader in the room but his demeanor is one of a calm player. Never panics, but will destroy the opponent when he has too. He is a treat to watch.
This is great to hear. Perhaps it will ease some here who believe he is nothing more than a goon. It's nice to hear an informed opinion of someone who has actually watched him and knows the details of Peluso as a player.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:35 PM
peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
Miettinen is back skating. If Peluso isn't put in soon he will be right back to #14.

peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Gm0ney
Way down in the hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Miettinen is back skating. If Peluso isn't put in soon he will be right back to #14.
"Thank GOD Miettinen is back skating!" said no one, ever.

I'd really like to see Peluso get into the lineup, but Noel seems happy with Wright so far. And yeah, when Mittens returns, I think Peluso will be back in Peoria.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Randall Ritchey
The Fourth Period

I'd gladly welcome Peluso back to Peoria, but I want to see him get his NHL chance now.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Hammer Slammer
Danish Dash

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
I'd gladly welcome Peluso back to Peoria, but I want to see him get his NHL chance now.
Me too. It would bum me out to not give him a chance. Put him out there and see what happens, I'm sure he'd be pumped up and flatten a few bodies.

02-07-2013, 07:00 PM
NODLR
The Dog House

Disappointed he's not in the lineup, hopefully the Jets don't get slapped around....

NODLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Jet
Big Ben

Quote:

Very nice to hear... dying to see him play a game or two.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:17 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
I'd like to see him against Philly

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Ulf Hullberg

Put him in the lineup on Saturday vs the Sens. I want to see him wipe that toothless grin off Neil's face. The guy skates around the ice like he's the schoolyard bully when playing the Jets.

Move Burmi back between the Russians, Jokinen between Ladd & Wheeler, and promote Wright to center between Kane & Little, and the 4th line of Peluso-Slater-Thorburn.

Sit Wellwood.

Ulf Hullberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Snot Rocket
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 155
Yeah, put Peluso in against the Sens, and let Poni ride the pine...Wellwood too.

Not sure if someone can play offwing as Poni is L and Peluso is R.

Just spitballing here.

Snot Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf Hullberg View Post
Put him in the lineup on Saturday vs the Sens. I want to see him wipe that toothless grin off Neil's face. The guy skates around the ice like he's the schoolyard bully when playing the Jets.

Move Burmi back between the Russians, Jokinen between Ladd & Wheeler, and promote Wright to center between Kane & Little, and the 4th line of Peluso-Slater-Thorburn.

Sit Wellwood.
Burmi is Russian; Poni and Antro are not. All commies though.

Agree that I'd like to see Wright up a line or two, Peluso in, and Welly out.

Gil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:39 PM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snot Rocket View Post
Yeah, put Peluso in against the Sens, and let Poni ride the pine...Wellwood too.

Not sure if someone can play offwing as Poni is L and Peluso is R.

Just spitballing here.
No kidding what do they have to lose by trying out Peluso? Change things up Jets

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Libertyhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf Hullberg View Post

Sit Wellwood.
This sounds really good to me.. put burmi back with his ussr linemates, and definitely sit wellwood. We need a #2 center, badly.

Libertyhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Ulf Hullberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyhaze View Post
This sounds really good to me.. put burmi back with his ussr linemates, and definitely sit wellwood. We need a #2 center, badly.
Actually, we need a #1 center....Olli should be #2.

That being said, I just don't see Chevy paying out the $$ for a UFA to fill the #1 ctr hole, I think he would much rather draft one. And I'm not convinced that Scheifele is this franchises next Hawerchuk. I realize it's early, but he looks like he'll top out as a very solid 2nd line ctr.

Ulf Hullberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:30 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

TOI determines whether or not you are a #1 #2... but usage of coaches line and your natural skills will merit which line you fit better.
Jokinen may not be a "#1" in that he's not top30, but he's a #1 on the Jets in the way that Noel uses one of the top2 lines to take tough match-ups and the other line to score on easier minutes (which Kane and Jokinen are always on whether or not they are getting 1st or 2nd line minutes).
You look at TOI and it varies which line is getting more depending on the game.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Randall Ritchey
The Fourth Period

Still no idea when he plays?

Old
02-11-2013, 03:50 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi