HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 3: The one where the Oilers win every trade

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 02:28 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
A reminder for those posting information. You must provide a source or previously run it past a mod if it isn't possible to mention the source. This is especially important for twitter info given how many crap accounts are out there. If you don't link to the tweet in question, your post will be removed.
talk about taking the fun out of a thread

Old
02-11-2013, 02:35 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
A deal that could potentially be ironed out would send Whitney to New York for Brian Boyle. Boyle's been a healthy scratch and has struggled this year without Prust on his line. The Whitney contract would handcuff the Rangers cap-wise though.

Boyle's a nice target for the Oilers. 6'7, decent on the draw and averages over 3 hits per game. If they could snag someone else to give the Rangers that buffer on the cap, it might be a deal they should look at.
Is this your opinion? Or insider information? Just curious, would be all over it if true. We would need to move a forward when Horcoff got back.

Hartikainen-Belanger-Paajarvi
Eager/Petrell-Boyle-Jones

It's a start to fixing the bottom 6.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:39 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Is this your opinion? Or insider information? Just curious, would be all over it if true. We would need to move a forward when Horcoff got back.

He's played 9 of 11 games for Rags, HS twice. 1 point in 9 GP, 33 hits. Not sure why he's doing so poorly, then again the Rags aren't playing up to par as a team either.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:40 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

vCash: 500
Boyle was mentioned a while back.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:41 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post

Opinion. Sorry I worded it that way.

Boyle would be a solid contributor to the bottom six and could just as easily move to the wing when Horcoff comes back.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:08 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Oilers need another decent puck moving dman. Justin Schultz would need to play 40+ minutes a night to cover everyone's ass and get some offense going from the backend.

Petry/Whitney/Potter obviously aren't pulling their weight in that department and it's affecting the entire team from the backend on up.

I think that's actually an even higher priority than a big #2 C right now.

If RNH were firing on all cylinders and Gagner keeps it up... C depth would be "adequate" with Horcoff/Belanger/Lander.

The lack of breakouts and solid passing from the backend though is killing the team's momentum (not the only problem but a big one).

I'm not saying a big C isn't needed because it is... but I think the D group is the biggest issue right now.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:10 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
I think Petry is doing fine. Potter and Whitney need to be moved

Old
02-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I think everyone, except perhaps ST, knew that before the year started..This poor assessment of team needs has become pretty consistant.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:13 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Petry has actually been the most disappointing to me. I didn't expect much from Potter and Whitney was always a q mark because of his injuries. Petry though has regressed and isn't getting it done imo.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:16 PM
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Petry has actually been the most disappointing to me. I didn't expect much from Potter and Whitney was always a q mark because of his injuries. Petry though has regressed and isn't getting it done imo.
I fully agree. Petry's taken a big step backwards. Very disappointing, and it leads to me wondering what he was doing during the lockout.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:17 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 95
Quote:
I'm not shocked at all. Kid needed to be playing during the lockout and he wasn't.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:17 PM
belair

Quote:
Offensively, I agree.

But his physical game has impressed me this season.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:20 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I'm glad you aren't coach then because he definitely IS NOT doing fine. He's lost and confused most of the time on the ice.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:21 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by runeeres View Post
I fully agree. Petry's taken a big step backwards. Very disappointing, and it leads to me wondering what he was doing during the lockout.
Probably shopping around for the best salon to work on his 'locks

Old
02-11-2013, 03:40 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
I'm glad you aren't coach then because he definitely IS NOT doing fine. He's lost and confused most of the time on the ice.
Depends on what you expected. In his second season in the NHL he is playing against top lines and asked to be the top shutdown pair.

The guy is a #3 or 4 dman right now so to ask for the above might be a little much. If you look at what he is getting paid, his seniority in the NHL, and the assignments he's drawn he is doing quite well. If you expected a number 1 all around d man then ya he is doing bad.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:41 PM
misfit

We've already been given one huge gift with Schultz, but what this team needs is a Patrick Sharp for Matt Ellison and a 3rd, or a Zbynek Michalek for Eric Westrum and Dustin Wood type of trade.

I know those types of trades are impossible to predict, and they don't come around often, but most good teams usually have a few good players that they were able to pick up without having to give up anything of consequence.

Unfortunately, the last time we actually made one of those types of trades (Hejda for a 7th) we squandered it by having him walk away less than a year later without offering him a contract.

02-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Mr Tambo is sitting on his hands.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Amos665

People complaining about Petry not being great (he's been decent) need to remember that development isn't linear.

Petry was "outstanding" and "took a big step forward" last year because it was compared to previous years of performances, which were not that great. After playing so well last year, other teams have taken steps to adjust to him, it is now his turn to adjust. Patience everyone, the arrows are pointing the right way for him.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

3 former Oilers in the top 15 for goals scored from defensemen. Depressing haha

Old
02-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
We've already been given one huge gift with Schultz, but what this team needs is a Patrick Sharp for Matt Ellison and a 3rd, or a Zbynek Michalek for Eric Westrum and Dustin Wood type of trade.

I know those types of trades are impossible to predict, and they don't come around often, but most good teams usually have a few good players that they were able to pick up without having to give up anything of consequence.

Unfortunately, the last time we actually made one of those types of trades (Hejda for a 7th) we squandered it by having him walk away less than a year later without offering him a contract.
You need people who can identify talent that others don't see. I don't think we have such characters in our management team.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:52 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
3 former Oilers in the top 15 for goals scored from defensemen. Depressing haha
I still take Schultz over Souray, Gilbert or Brewer any day of the week.

Let's look at those stats on May 1st.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:54 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
He's constantly following his defense partner behind our net...it's driving me nuts. I thought maybe it was just miscommunication with Smid but he did it with Fistric as well yesterday.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Mr Tambo is sitting on his hands.
I'm fine with him doing nothing. Maybe signing a free agent UFA short term, (one year) sure.

But realize the Oilers are very young. They are NOT contenders. The first line has a second year centre and two upcoming stars who are still not at their peak and for the first time, are playing against top line opposition.

What did you people expect? That Krueger could roll them out against Joe Thornton and the Sedins, and have them outscore the opposition every night?

Continue to play them. Make no trades unless its an obvious winning one. Let players develop.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Bauer83

vCash: 6065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
I'm fine with him doing nothing. Maybe signing a free agent UFA short term, (one year) sure.

But realize the Oilers are very young. They are NOT contenders. The first line has a second year centre and two upcoming stars who are still not at their peak and for the first time, are playing against top line opposition.

What did you people expect? That Krueger could roll them out against Joe Thornton and the Sedins, and have them outscore the opposition every night?

Continue to play them. Make no trades unless its an obvious winning one. Let players develop.
One hundred percent agree, outside I wouldn't mind some more 3rd and 4th round draft picks get sent to improve the 3rd and 4th lines, or ship Potter out with a pick for an upgrade at that position. I think its important that we don't go Burke and attempt to fast track the process.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Which I absolutely agree with, but throwing them to the wolves isn't the best way to develop them. As seen by Gagner.

Surrounding them with quality veterans is the right way to go. I'm not talking 30-31-32 year old players, but 26-27 year olds who have established games who add something to the squad that the kids don't. Rounding out our team.

I don't think(hope) anyone is asking for a panic trade, but getting the right complimentary players should definitely be in the cards.