HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 08:33 AM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Continue here.

Part 7 - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1318839

Old
02-11-2013, 09:06 AM
OHLTG

You would think, though, that a goaltender who just wants to get the hell out of here, or is playing for a contract elsewhere, would want to go out on a high. It's the "Little Big League" situation...pitcher hated playing, insisted on being dealt, but then the coach goes "Mac, how much can we get for a pitcher who's old, can't hack it, and doesn't care?" Insta-ace-pitcher!

Old
02-11-2013, 09:07 AM
etr102

Even if the playoffs are still mathematically possible, you don't get in there losing to teams like Ottawa and Kingston! If you can't beat Ottawa and Kingston then you don't stand a chance playing real teams like Plymouth and London.

I think our chances are over, but would be very happy if this team were to prove me wrong.

As OHLTG said, sweeping Saginaw could breath life into our chances.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:15 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr102 View Post
Even if the playoffs are still mathematically possible, you don't get in there losing to teams like Ottawa and Kingston! If you can't beat Ottawa and Kingston then you don't stand a chance playing real teams like Plymouth and London.

I think our chances are over, but would be very happy if this team were to prove me wrong.

As OHLTG said, sweeping Saginaw could breath life into our chances.
The problem is they have to win both in regulation. For instance they can't win 2 games in OT or SO because that will exactly be like splitting the 2 games.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:27 AM
RayzorIsDull

Chief when you mentioned about a team making the jump as veteran 19 year olds does that change at all when they are 18 year olds they did not meet expectations? When you consider they lose their goaltender, Khokhlachev and Aleardi that's a lot to replace. They currently only have 1 19 year old that would return as an OA. Trading for top notch 94's well that would cost more assets. Is your plan to host the Memorial Cup sell the farm as host and be a poor team the following years just like this year?

Old
02-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Ottomatic

Cut Pavelka if this weekend goes as expected and bring up Kuchmey for a look. Though, I guess that might depend on his current team's situation. You don't want to take the no.1 goalie off his team if they're looking to make a playoff run.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:17 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Cut Pavelka if this weekend goes as expected and bring up Kuchmey for a look. Though, I guess that might depend on his current team's situation. You don't want to take the no.1 goalie off his team if they're looking to make a playoff run.
Re Kuchmey the 10 game rule applies here too,though its games played not dressed

And yes his team will be entering playoffs within the next 2 weeks,but I agree if the

playoffs are not happening play only DeKort and Kuchmey down the stretch

This coming weekend will tell alot

Old
02-11-2013, 04:06 PM
OHLTG

Looks like the Memorial Cup application is full speed ahead. So I hear, at least.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
You would think, though, that a goaltender who just wants to get the hell out of here, or is playing for a contract elsewhere, would want to go out on a high. It's the "Little Big League" situation...pitcher hated playing, insisted on being dealt, but then the coach goes "Mac, how much can we get for a pitcher who's old, can't hack it, and doesn't care?" Insta-ace-pitcher!

To prove this theory wrong, the defense would like the jury to take a look at Exhibit A: Zack Kassian.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:53 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
To prove this theory wrong, the defense would like the jury to take a look at Exhibit A: Zack Kassian.
That's a good example, his work ethic wasn't the same as it was after the Memorial Cup. He showed with a big game 6 against Saginaw and then took it upon himself to be selfish in game 3 against Owen Sound.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:55 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
I counter two things:

1. Kassian had 16 points in 10 playoff games.

2. Ryan Ellis, who was in the same boat as Kassian, had 54 points in his final two months in the OHL.

While Kassian's regular season was dim, his playoffs showed he was business.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Libbs

Quote:
I counter two things:

1. Kassian had 16 points in 10 playoff games.

2. Ryan Ellis, who was in the same boat as Kassian, had 54 points in his final two months in the OHL.

While Kassian's regular season was dim, his playoffs showed he was business.
You can't honestly tell me that you just look at his playoff stats and say he still cared? (Besides... he had 16pts in 16 games). He was an absolute beast to start the year... then Buffalo signed him, he made Team Canada, then proceeded to coast the rest of the year. As Rayzor pointed out had a couple good games against Saginaw then got completely stupid against OS.

Ryan Ellis was in the same position, but his character is far greater than that of Kassian's...

Old
02-11-2013, 05:25 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
You can't honestly tell me that you just look at his playoff stats and say he still cared? (Besides... he had 16pts in 16 games). He was an absolute beast to start the year... then Buffalo signed him, he made Team Canada, then proceeded to coast the rest of the year. As Rayzor pointed out had a couple good games against Saginaw then got completely stupid against OS.

Ryan Ellis was in the same position, but his character is far greater than that of Kassian's...
Is this where I find OHLTG's post where he says all I do is look at points?

Kuhnhackl, Khokhlachev, Johnston, Ryan, Carnevale, Ellis were all better and you could make the case Carrick and Robertson were better than Kassian.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:29 PM
OHLTG

I mis-read the number, whoops.

I'm not saying Kassian didn't stop caring as the season went on. We know he played far less inspired hockey, but he put up the numbers and didn't go into a complete tailspin until the OS series.

Ellis was more the idea that, while some aren't as motivated as others, that's the exception, not the rule. Pavelka may want to get out of here, but I don't know his play has decreased because of him being here.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:00 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Looks like the Memorial Cup application is full speed ahead. So I hear, at least.
In light of this info came up with some interesting numbers as it relates to
point totals of players expected to return to their respective teams that have,or
are expected to bid to host,excluding overagers,as of today

Barrie= 186 pts by returning players to date,potential O/as,ZHall,MTheoret,ALepkowski
Potential problem-the #1 goalie Fontinos is only 18 years old,concerns of overall
depth,especially if Hall or Theoret go pro,I can see Theoret moving on ,not Hall

Guelph=300 pts by returning players to date- potential o/as,Z.Mitchell,RHorvat,GSparkes
D.Polizani,potential problems if Sparkes turns pro they will need a front goalie,lots
of players moving on Posa,Beukeboom,McNaughton,Pedan,Richard,Waitling,o nly 9
forwards with ohl exp returning

London-404 pts by returning players to date,expected O/a- A Broadhurst,S.Griffith
though i dont think so,J Sefton,unlikely
Potentil problems only 4 D returning with Ohl experience,though they will fill with
at least 1 maybe 2 O/A s re this position

Windsor-322 pts by returning players to date,potential o/a s- R Giftopoulous,JPavelka
not likely if he keeps up his recent poor play
Potential problems- If Pavelka does not return goaltending in the hands of little used
Jordan Dekort,and the inexperienced Dalen Kuchmey,only 9 forwards with ohl exp
returning excl O/As,bottom 6 forwards need to be improved,another front end forward
needed
Strengths 8 defencemen with ohl exp 9 if u include McNaughton returning most of
any team bidding
Much like London will room for 1 maybe 2 O/A s
Another problem likely is if Windsor does not make playoffs,as is the case right now
may not look good in the eyes of the committee

My view is that London has the best potential roster returning overall,although their
defence may be suspect re experience returning only 4 and their goalies are yet
proven still rookies this year,to be determined,will they win this year inspite of their goal tending? Dont know
Barrie in my view has the weakest returning roster,a small building,have not hosted
league events in years,the fact the east conference won the last bid,make me think they wont get serious consideration by the committee
Another factor re London is the that hosted in 2005 too soon in my view to get it
despite the largest building attendance wise
As for Guelph pretty good returning roster though goaltending will be a huge question mark if Sparkes does not return,only 9 forwards returning,concerns about their bottom 6 as well upfront,defence is good but not great,the city of Guelph has not hosted over events for awhile,arena is 2nd lowest for crowd capacit
Windsor has done many events league,chl,-17 sanctioned events pretty well,and I am speaking of the city"s support as well as the efforts of the Spits orgaization,this along with any financial should go a long way in determining who should host this event
I think it will between Windsor and London in the end,and I am not predicting who
wins,but if I were to guess its London
We probably wont get to see if London can win a mem cup on the road,like Windsor has twice

Old
02-11-2013, 07:03 PM
RayzorIsDull

Legend I really like the mix Guelph has. I am never really in favor of keeping an OA/import slot but I think Richard a ppg player is probably worth it. Kosmachuk, McGinn, Dickenson, Auger, Garlent, Fabbri all returning up front guaranteed barring trades. That gives you room to possibly bring back Richard, Mitchell has kind of had a down year but still provides value. Finn, Leslie, Harpur all have eligibility on D. These aren't your old Guelph Storm under Barr or Brooks when players don't develop this group can play.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:55 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Legend I really like the mix Guelph has. I am never really in favor of keeping an OA/import slot but I think Richard a ppg player is probably worth it. Kosmachuk, McGinn, Dickenson, Auger, Garlent, Fabbri all returning up front guaranteed barring trades. That gives you room to possibly bring back Richard, Mitchell has kind of had a down year but still provides value. Finn, Leslie, Harpur all have eligibility on D. These aren't your old Guelph Storm under Barr or Brooks when players don't develop this group can play.
Rayzor

I am hearing that Tbay will probably sign Richard,which will hurt Guelph,like I said their defense is good,decent forwards returning though their bottom 4 or 5 leaves me some doubt
I do think the Leafs will turn Sparks pro and that will hurt too
Dont get me wrong Guelph will be very competetive next year but there are potential
glaring holes like all teams

Old
02-13-2013, 08:46 PM
spitz fan 4ever

saggy loses 2 plymouth 2nite 5 - 1

Old
02-15-2013, 10:51 AM
punch1943

Big Weekend Ahead

Sarnia tonight then a pair against Saggy. I see we have Patrick Sieloff back for tonight's contest although he probably will be taking it a bit easy after the layoff.
It goes without saying we need 3 wins and in regulation time at least against Saggy.
If not then we'll need to switch to talking about moves that need to be made before next season....

Old
02-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Spitsfan191

Sieloff and Aleardi back tonight

Old
02-15-2013, 01:40 PM
RayzorIsDull

I sure hope Sieloff isn't trying to rush back to prove he's some sort of gamer. Spits have 5 games coming up in 8 days this is a tough grind and a guy returning from a groin injury could be tricky. Just hope he doesn't further aggrevate the injury.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:47 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I sure hope Sieloff isn't trying to rush back to prove he's some sort of gamer. Spits have 5 games coming up in 8 days this is a tough grind and a guy returning from a groin injury could be tricky. Just hope he doesn't further aggrevate the injury.
Agree with what u are saying,one would that Calgary had a say in his return

That being said I would have played him tomorrow at Saggy and Monday vs Saggy

instead of tonite,although with Bowen out via suspension there is only 4 reg D left

not that Bowen was being used heavily

Old
02-15-2013, 03:58 PM
etr102

Having Sieloff and Aleardi back will be huge, but I can't help but think it's too late. Making up 7 points in 14 games in no small feat, especially when the team you are chasing barely ever loses.

Any word on Marchese and when he's expected back?

Old
02-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Spitsfan67*

And from left field Bilcke is in the line up...

Old
02-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Spitsfan67*

Nvm he just took warm up.

Closed Thread