HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maybe I'm an optimist...

Old
07-06-2006, 10:36 AM
markzab

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to markzab
Maybe I'm an optimist...

...but I like, or can handle, every signing by the Flyers this offseason.

Let's see (and pardon the spelling on some):

Nolan Boumgardner - Decent 5-6th defensman with a bit of mobility which we learned the hard way...we need.

Lars Johansen - The 7th overall pick in the 2000 draft. He hasn't played because he couldn't come to terms with his team. Apparently this kid has some good potential if he was drafted so high. Remember the last kid we got who was in a similar situation? RJ Umberger?

Marty Murray - No need to say anything here. I think we all remember how this little guy played his heart out for us every night. Did we have very much heart this past season? No.

Brad Tapper - I'll be honest. I have absolutely no clue who this guy is nor how he plays. Maybe an AHL'er for this year?

Mark Cullen - There is a thread in the trade rumours board about this signing and there are a few flyers in there complaining and making jokes about this. From reading about this kid he could be a very nice pick-up. He played his rookie season last year with CHI and was a + on that team. He also scored a point in about every other game he played. I see room for improvement there and to be honest I'm a bit excited about it.

If I missed someone I'm sorry. We had what, 6m to spare once free agency started? Lemme tell ya, I'd sure as hell rather have all the guys we picked up than just have one Kubina per say. We added a butload of depth, improved upon the shiftyness/speed of the team, and watched our GM not go nuts and spend all his money on 1 player who could go down at any time making that purchase a waste. I don't know, I guess I just keep the faith.

I like the signing and can see at least 2 of these guys having very decent seasons for us next year. I'm still calling for the cup wether the pesimists are with me or not.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:25 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab79 View Post
...but I like, or can handle, every signing by the Flyers this offseason.

Let's see (and pardon the spelling on some):

Nolan Boumgardner - Decent 5-6th defensman with a bit of mobility which we learned the hard way...we need.

Lars Johansen - The 7th overall pick in the 2000 draft. He hasn't played because he couldn't come to terms with his team. Apparently this kid has some good potential if he was drafted so high. Remember the last kid we got who was in a similar situation? RJ Umberger?

Marty Murray - No need to say anything here. I think we all remember how this little guy played his heart out for us every night. Did we have very much heart this past season? No.

Brad Tapper - I'll be honest. I have absolutely no clue who this guy is nor how he plays. Maybe an AHL'er for this year?

Mark Cullen - There is a thread in the trade rumours board about this signing and there are a few flyers in there complaining and making jokes about this. From reading about this kid he could be a very nice pick-up. He played his rookie season last year with CHI and was a + on that team. He also scored a point in about every other game he played. I see room for improvement there and to be honest I'm a bit excited about it.

If I missed someone I'm sorry. We had what, 6m to spare once free agency started? Lemme tell ya, I'd sure as hell rather have all the guys we picked up than just have one Kubina per say. We added a butload of depth, improved upon the shiftyness/speed of the team, and watched our GM not go nuts and spend all his money on 1 player who could go down at any time making that purchase a waste. I don't know, I guess I just keep the faith.

I like the signing and can see at least 2 of these guys having very decent seasons for us next year. I'm still calling for the cup wether the pesimists are with me or not.
I have to agree w/ you. Murray, Jonsson, and Baumgartner all seem like decent pickups with a lot of potential. The others I don't know, but it got a good feeling about Randy Robitaille. Just yeah I'm generally an optimist, and I'm looking forward to Clarke actually switching things up and finally saying that he realized there were problem and is actually doing something about it. They saved money on the Salary Cap, now spend it!!!

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight25 View Post
They saved money on the Salary Cap, now spend it!!!
at the deadline... not now.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:55 AM
markzab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight25 View Post
I have to agree w/ you. Murray, Jonsson, and Baumgartner all seem like decent pickups with a lot of potential. The others I don't know, but it got a good feeling about Randy Robitaille. Just yeah I'm generally an optimist, and I'm looking forward to Clarke actually switching things up and finally saying that he realized there were problem and is actually doing something about it. They saved money on the Salary Cap, now spend it!!!
Oops, forgot about him. Don't really mind him either as a 3rd or 4th line winger (that is his position, right?). I heard he's pretty quick and works for the puck.

Old
07-06-2006, 11:56 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
well we are taking care of our own FIRST. wish is someone we should do. IMO.
I am not worried about Gagne or Pitkanen getting signed its only July.
Yet some people act like the season starts tomorrow.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:05 PM
markzab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom View Post
I agree with the 2nd part of what you said, that people are acting like the season starts tomorrow. I don't agree with everyones sentiment that we should have waited and resigned our top guys, Gagne and Pitkanen, before going for the UFA market. Imagine it takes them another 30 days from now to come to terms. By that time who knows who would have been left. If these 2 want more than they deserve and want to hold out then more power to Clarke by basically saying, "whatever, I've got a TEAM to worry about."

Gagne is NOT the Flyers (although Pitkanen very well could be) and if he wants more than he deserves I strongly would disagree with signing him. Let's see how he does for the first half of this year before signing him long term to a hefty contract.

IMO: Gagne = an extension of Forsbergs huge ....... stick.

Old
07-06-2006, 12:21 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
I agree with the 2nd part of what you said, that people are acting like the season starts tomorrow. I don't agree with everyones sentiment that we should have waited and resigned our top guys, Gagne and Pitkanen, before going for the UFA market. Imagine it takes them another 30 days from now to come to terms. By that time who knows who would have been left. If these 2 want more than they deserve and want to hold out then more power to Clarke by basically saying, "whatever, I've got a TEAM to worry about."

Gagne is NOT the Flyers (although Pitkanen very well could be) and if he wants more than he deserves I strongly would disagree with signing him. Let's see how he does for the first half of this year before signing him long term to a hefty contract.

IMO: Gagne = an extension of Forsbergs huge ....... stick.
so. we should have signed a top tier defenseman, a couple of wingers and gone woops we only have a couple of million for Gagne and Pitkanen and said take it or leave it?
If anyone on this board, or Bobby Clarke thinks that Gagne is going to sign a 1 year deal so he can "see what he can do" without Forsberg we are all sadly mistaken. We should sign Pitkanen and Gagne first. Thats just my opinion. Yeah it sucks, but thats how it is. There is a salary cap and we should be taking care of our own first. Its a refreshing change actually.
Then again no matter what we would have done there would have been people on this board still not happy.

Old
07-06-2006, 12:32 PM
markzab

Quote:
so. we should have signed a top tier defenseman, a couple of wingers and gone woops we only have a couple of million for Gagne and Pitkanen and said take it or leave it?
If anyone on this board, or Bobby Clarke thinks that Gagne is going to sign a 1 year deal so he can "see what he can do" without Forsberg we are all sadly mistaken. We should sign Pitkanen and Gagne first. Thats just my opinion. Yeah it sucks, but thats how it is. There is a salary cap and we should be taking care of our own first. Its a refreshing change actually.
Then again no matter what we would have done there would have been people on this board still not happy.
I never said that. I said that Clarke should not hold out on improving his team due to negotiations with these 2 guys. And in fact that ISN'T what Clarke did. I said I liked the fact that he didn't go nuts and sign overpriced guys. I like that he spent a small amount on some guys who have the potential to help this team out, all while saving money to re-sign these guys.

I was arguing the fact that a lot of people found these signings to be a joke while i thought they were good. I didn't want to see us spend 5m on 1 defenseman and then have close to nothing else.

Everyone has their own opinion and thats fine. I'm just happy with the way things have been handled and I like the fact that Clarke isn't just giving in to these guys demands.

We have a whole summer and if Gagne (for example) doesn't sign for abround 4.25m long term then so be it. Trade him.

Old
07-06-2006, 12:56 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I know for me, it has more to do with the fact that the longer it takes to get Pitkanen and Gagne signed to contracts, the more probability there is that they might stage a hold out. As well, when you have Clarke, Snider and Hitchcock all proclaiming that they will look after the defense, the signings that have been made so far are less than encouraging. It's almost like this team is going to be yet another slow, prodding team that is going to rely on trap hockey to make up for a lack of talent.

When you also consider that they have increased ticket prices and there has been very little movement on the team's part to improve, it's hard not to be negative. I know people on here will quote "salary cap", but eventually, that excuse gets old and tired. Fact of the matter is that this team lacks mobile defenders, a playmaking winger, and a true leader. I also know people will point to Primeau's imminent return to the lineup as being key, but I'm going to point to Primeau's imminent exile from the lineup because of a concussion as to why we need a leader.

Most won't admit it, but this franchise is in a mess because of one foolish offseason in which they spent too much money on defensemen who are dinosaurs and played great when the game was all about clutch and grab and interference.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Most won't admit it, but this franchise is in a mess because of one foolish offseason in which they spent too much money on defensemen who are dinosaurs and played great when the game was all about clutch and grab and interference.
Those guys both played fine when they weren't injured. When the were injured and couldn't skate, yes they looked bad. Those signings certainly didn't make this franchise a mess and in fact I don't think they are in a mess at all. All they need is to be healthy and they have enough talent to easily make the playoffs.

Last year Forsberg could barely walk, Rathje getting shots before each game, their captain out, Hatcher banged up, Zues's arm hanging off, Kappy with a knee/shoulder, Rico injured, Pits had surgery, Esche was hurt, Nitty was hurt, KJ was out, they had 4th line players (Stevenson/Savage/Brash/Radio) that put up a total of 41 points, and basically needed to rely on an AHL farm team and rookies for a large part of the year and they still finished tied for 1st in their division.

I'm surprised by you of all people to be complaining about this offseason. You were the guy yelling all last year about how they should let the kids play in nearly every post. Well, that is obviously what they are gonna do, build from within and let the kids play as opposed to signing a 2 year Sykora/Guerin band aid. Now that they are going with a youth based approach as opposed to grabbing high price FA's people are still complaining. You can't have it both ways.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 01:56 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
I never said that. I said that Clarke should not hold out on improving his team due to negotiations with these 2 guys. And in fact that ISN'T what Clarke did. I said I liked the fact that he didn't go nuts and sign overpriced guys. I like that he spent a small amount on some guys who have the potential to help this team out, all while saving money to re-sign these guys.

I was arguing the fact that a lot of people found these signings to be a joke while i thought they were good. I didn't want to see us spend 5m on 1 defenseman and then have close to nothing else.

Everyone has their own opinion and thats fine. I'm just happy with the way things have been handled and I like the fact that Clarke isn't just giving in to these guys demands.

We have a whole summer and if Gagne (for example) doesn't sign for abround 4.25m long term then so be it. Trade him.

I know you never said that. It was more directed at some people who think we should just be dropping millions at some UFA's when we have 2 key RFA's that need to be locked up(2 down 2 to go) according to TSN Gagne wants 5 per? Now I am glad we didnt go chasing older players. Im hoping Gagne is signed by training camp, Pitkanen as well.
I really think that Tanguay signing is going to hurt the Flyers for getting Gagne signed for less money.
I guess STH do have a reason to be negative. with the price increases and everything. I guess I just didnt think of it that way.

Old
07-06-2006, 03:23 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
Those guys both played fine when they weren't injured. When the were injured and couldn't skate, yes they looked bad. Those signings certainly didn't make this franchise a mess and in fact I don't think they are in a mess at all. All they need is to be healthy and they have enough talent to easily make the playoffs.

Last year Forsberg could barely walk, Rathje getting shots before each game, their captain out, Hatcher banged up, Zues's arm hanging off, Kappy with a knee/shoulder, Rico injured, Pits had surgery, Esche was hurt, Nitty was hurt, KJ was out, they had 4th line players (Stevenson/Savage/Brash/Radio) that put up a total of 41 points, and basically needed to rely on an AHL farm team and rookies for a large part of the year and they still finished tied for 1st in their division.

I'm surprised by you of all people to be complaining about this offseason. You were the guy yelling all last year about how they should let the kids play in nearly every post. Well, that is obviously what they are gonna do, build from within and let the kids play as opposed to signing a 2 year Sykora/Guerin band aid. Now that they are going with a youth based approach as opposed to grabbing high price FA's people are still complaining. You can't have it both ways.

I am fine with going with the kids, however, as I posted in other threads, unless more moves are made we are pretty much set with 10-11 forwards depending on Primeau. (Gagne, Knuble, Richards, Umberger, Carter, Dimo, Nedved, Handzus, Kapanen, Forsberg, Primeau) That leaves one spot up for grabs. I rather have that go to Eager, Potulny, Downie, Ruzicka, then one of the "12th Forward Collective" that we have signed the past couple weeks (Tapper, Murray, Robitaille, Cullen) I think it is a safe bet that Robitaille (who I believe is on a one way contract) and Murray will be on the NHL team so that takes a spot away from the younger guys. Not to mention Matt Ellison who probably should be on an NHL 4th line but was sent down due to him not having to clear waivers.

If these players were signed to play on the Phantoms so that they can bring up younger players then it would be a different story but it doesnt appear that way.

I guess we will see what happens between now and September.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Tat2dRich

Send a message via Yahoo to Tat2dRich
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I am fine with going with the kids, however, as I posted in other threads, unless more moves are made we are pretty much set with 10-11 forwards depending on Primeau. (Gagne, Knuble, Richards, Umberger, Carter, Dimo, Nedved, Handzus, Kapanen, Forsberg, Primeau) That leaves one spot up for grabs. I rather have that go to Eager, Potulny, Downie, Ruzicka, then one of the "12th Forward Collective" that we have signed the past couple weeks (Tapper, Murray, Robitaille, Cullen) I think it is a safe bet that Robitaille (who I believe is on a one way contract) and Murray will be on the NHL team so that takes a spot away from the younger guys. Not to mention Matt Ellison who probably should be on an NHL 4th line but was sent down due to him not having to clear waivers.

If these players were signed to play on the Phantoms so that they can bring up younger players then it would be a different story but it doesnt appear that way.

I guess we will see what happens between now and September.

Neither Potulny or Downie are ready yet. Both will do quite well with the Phantoms and be both will be on the big squad in 2007-08.

Tat2dRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2dRich View Post
Neither Potulny or Downie are ready yet. Both will do quite well with the Phantoms and be both will be on the big squad in 2007-08.
Downie will be back in the OHL next year if he doesn't make the Flyers out of camp.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
at the deadline... not now.

You want to trade things we don't have to spend cap space

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 07:30 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
Downie will be back in the OHL next year if he doesn't make the Flyers out of camp.
Potulny and Ruzicka both got a taste in a game or so with the Flyers last year. Plenty of players come right in from the draft, I dont think it is out of the question that someone like Potulny makes the team. I think you will see this a lot more in the coming years with the salary cap.

Old
07-06-2006, 07:45 PM
King Fish

The New Flyers

Gagne-Carter-Knuble
Umberger-Richards-Ruzicka
Nedved-Primeau-Dimitrokos
Eager-Robitalle-Cullen (Speeeed!)

Trade Handzus and Kapanen!

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Potulny and Ruzicka both got a taste in a game or so with the Flyers last year. Plenty of players come right in from the draft, I dont think it is out of the question that someone like Potulny makes the team. I think you will see this a lot more in the coming years with the salary cap.
I agree with that, but my point was that Downie can't play in the AHL this season.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish View Post
The New Flyers

Gagne-Carter-Knuble

I like that.

If you are looking for a lottery pick next year.

Rex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 12:52 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish View Post
The New Flyers

Gagne-Carter-Knuble

Well, I think you need to change the first two lines, these dont make sense. Carter and Gagne are both finishers and if we havent figured out that Gagne needs a playmaking center by now then I guess we never will. Richards is a playmaking center.

I think Gagne Richards and Carter Umberger. Still need a playmaker for Carter and Umberger.

If Ruzicka actually ends up being a player, I think Gagne Richards Ruzicka could be a future line for us. Richards is the playmaker with two finishers. Richards has the grit and he and Gagne the defensive play.