HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The Race to the Bottom - Rebuild Thread.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
or you know, we could make the playoffs and prove to high value free agents that this is a team worth signing for.. thereby skipping the development curve and having someone who will make a big impact right away.
I don't care where the Leafs finish this year as long as Reimer is doing good.

People do realize that hoping for tanking is essentially hoping that Reimer fails right?

If Reimer fails, we're back at square one in terms of goaltending and #1C.

Reimer continues his play and we have our future goalie and dont have to worry about it.

Plenty of good players picked outside of the top 10. If the Leafs are out of contention, then it's time to sell and finish as low as possible.

Plus, why would Corey Perry/any top UFA for example come to the Leafs if he would be under pressure to help this team make the playoffs? Make the playoffs, get that monkey off our back and UFA's will be more inclined to come.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

People do realize that hoping for tanking is essentially hoping that Reimer fails right?

Reimer continues his play and we have our future goalie and dont have to worry about it.

Plenty of good players picked outside of the top 10. If the Leafs are out of contention, then it's time to sell and finish as low as possible.

Plus, why would Corey Perry/any top UFA for example come to the Leafs if he would be under pressure to help this team make the playoffs? Make the playoffs, get that monkey off our back and UFA's will be more inclined to come.
exactly. I honestly can't believe the amount of fools that think tanking (the high pick) is going to solve any more problems. This board, people hype up prospects to no end. It's as people just want a shiny box of prospects that they can show off, than actually want winning results. I don't care if other teams look like they have shiny prospects, all I care is if they helping the team win. If the Leafs suck again, what progress is actually being made here. It only shows how far we would be and the pieces here are all expendable which I dont' believe is the case. Even if we narowly miss the playoffs or make it as a low seed, we can still pick up a good player at where we pick.

Didact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
exactly. I honestly can't believe the amount of fools that think tanking (the high pick) is going to solve any more problems. This board, people hype up prospects to no end. It's as people just want a shiny box of prospects that they can show off, than actually want winning results. I don't care if other teams look like they have shiny prospects, all I care is if they helping the team win. If the Leafs suck again, what progress is actually being made here. It only shows how far we would be and the pieces here are all expendable which I dont' believe is the case. Even if we narowly miss the playoffs or make it as a low seed, we can still pick up a good player at where we pick.
Exactly. Once you make the playoffs you have a chance to win the Cup.

Did Montreal really think they were going to beat the President trophy winners in Washington, and then go on to beat Crosby and the Pens?

They were one series away from the Cup Finals..as an 8th seed.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Natural selection in the NHL, not a tank thread. Is this team good enough to make the playoffs or miss and get a 15th pick as opposed to a top 10 one?

For me we may get lucky and grab Justin Bailey, Ryan Pulock, or worst case a Rychel or Hartman. There's quality deeper in this draft, just have to unearth it. Top 10 may yield us a Nichushkin or Zadorov though.

2 comrades I do value rather highly, yep, I can like Russian players.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Natural selection in the NHL, not a tank thread. Is this team good enough to make the playoffs or miss and get a 15th pick as opposed to a top 10 one?

For me we may get lucky and grab Justin Bailey, Ryan Pulock, or worst case a Rychel or Hartman. There's quality deeper in this draft, just have to unearth it. Top 10 may yield us a Nichushkin or Zadorov though.

2 comrades I do value rather highly, yep, I can like Russian players.
Yeah. We can get a great player with a top 15 pick.

Ryan Pulock probably drops out of the top 10. Good solid two way D with a great shot.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:

Ryan Pulock probably drops out of the top 10. Good solid two way D with a great shot.
He scored Saturday night, which is a long time between goals for Ryan when you know his shot is lethal. Has a bad wrist, obviously it has been bothering him.

His brother died tragically, he was a big Leafs fan and Burkie booster, Ryan plays with a Leafs tattoo, it would be fitting if the Leafs called his name but there are many that are good around 15. Definitely prefer him over Rychel or Hartman.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Rinzler

Quote:

Yup or we can pick up Max Domi. TBH if we made the playoffs and got either Pulock or Domi I think we're in good shape. (I'd rather both though )

Both players are clearly wanting to be drafted by Toronto, so why not? I doubt teams will be drafting these guys unless there's absolutely nobody else they like at around the same position.

Probably why we got Finn last year. Hometown guys or players who have a clear bias towards certain teams whom aren't elite (but have high end potential) seem to fall in the late 1st early 2nd round and get picked up by the local teams. I think this kind of stuff gets fleshed out in the interview process when they determine "fit".

I'd rather we get guys like that then deal with another lottery pick and team blowup.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Aplayaz2000

Quote:
and a point of making it, hehe

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
Yup or we can pick up Max Domi. TBH if we made the playoffs and got either Pulock or Domi I think we're in good shape. (I'd rather both though )

Both players are clearly wanting to be drafted by Toronto, so why not? I doubt teams will be drafting these guys unless there's absolutely nobody else they like at around the same position.

Probably why we got Finn last year. Hometown guys or players who have a clear bias towards certain teams whom aren't elite (but have high end potential) seem to fall in the late 1st early 2nd round and get picked up by the local teams. I think this kind of stuff gets fleshed out in the interview process when they determine "fit".

I'd rather we get guys like that then deal with another lottery pick and team blowup.
I like Max Domi, just wish he played a little more like his dad did. Not the most edgy player in the draft.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I like Max Domi, just wish he played a little more like his dad did. Not the most edgy player in the draft.
Meh, we have enough edgy. The Leafs need high end skill in the system now. Broll, Biggs, Devane and Ross can fill our edgy development ranks for the time being.

We have virtually nothing when it comes to goal scoring at forward coming with perhaps the exception of Leivo whom I'm not sold on at all yet.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Kibago

Quote:

This is exactly how I feel.
this is not the NBA - you don't hand the Cup to the MVP's team. becoming a regular playoff team means you are a Cup contender. but even if I didn't think we had a chance of winning a series, I'd still want the playoffs.

This is a good summer to have cap space and we have a solid amount (raises to players like Kadri and Kessel going forward will be cancelled out by letting players like Mac and Komi go and replacing them with ELC youth. we have room to spend on new players.) We need players to want to fill it.

I understand why tankers dream about MacKinnon...but I'd gladly take an offensive core of Perry/Getz/Kessel/JVR/Lupul/Grabo/Kadri/Frattin going forward. i would be incredibly excited about that. and I think the odds of it, though under 50%, are better than the odds of us picking top 5 again. (at the very least, there's no reason we can't offer Perry more money than anyone else does. if we're a playoff team and we're bringing him in to be a first-liner, why wouldn't that interest him?)

and I'm certainly not going to hope that 2011-12 Reimer was the 'real' Reimer (or that he gets hurt again.) because as stated in this post, that's what true tanking would require.

Kibago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
Meh, we have enough edgy. The Leafs need high end skill in the system now. Broll, Biggs, Devane and Ross can fill our edgy development ranks for the time being.

We have virtually nothing when it comes to goal scoring at forward coming with perhaps the exception of Leivo whom I'm not sold on at all yet.
I like what I have seen in Leivo, he may turn out to be the top 6 power fwd this team wants, he's also grown since being drafted. Really see nothing but good things for him and us.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

No recent vids of Leivo but dug out some here.

9:48 of video, nice hands

And the toughness part

This kid is going to be a beaut I tell you.

Line of Biggs and Leivo?

Old
02-11-2013, 05:46 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Leivo had a pretty good scare earlier this year with a concussion.. But it looks like he's back at 100% which is good to see. I'm pretty excited to see what he can do with proper coaching and development outside of the Wolves organization. I really hope he can stay focused, fill out his frame, keep that foot speed, and just avoid injuries. He could definitely turn out to be a steal.

02-11-2013, 06:01 PM
rdawg1234

Definitely not going bottom 5 this year, Reimer looks alot like his old self, guys like Kadri and Frattin are stepping up(frattin took like 20 games to get a goal last season)

Our defensive depth is better, the system seems better.

we're not a top team, but it seems we no longer have a #1 G problem(at least so far this season) which is fantastic as I feel that's a harder hole to fill long-term than a #1 C.

Now we can get a solid player later in the draft, and make a solid trade this summer for a #1 C(maybe 2014 1st+Gardiner+Kuli for Duchene?

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:10 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 50
Quote:
Exactly. Once you make the playoffs you have a chance to win the Cup.

Did Montreal really think they were going to beat the President trophy winners in Washington, and then go on to beat Crosby and the Pens?

Montreal rode a red hot goalie to a couple of huge upsets and a couple of seasons later were a lottery team .

Any team can get on a roll and win a series or two but you need actually talent to become a perinial cup contender and not just a one year wonder .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Silver Shine*

We should tank

I dont think the Leafs are going to make the playoffs. The Canes outplayed us today. I think we should tank so we can get a lottery pick and then build outward from there.

Silver Shine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Kiotzu

Did you expect us to win the rest of the games.

Kiotzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:09 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Well I'll assume it's more of a joke and move on from there.

But really, just have to survive this injured stretch. In a couple weeks should have Reimer, Frattin, and Gunnarsson back. Gardiner's conditioning is close so he should be able to return soon enough also.

Other than that it's the long wait for Lupul's arm to recover.

FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Bomber0104
Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shine View Post
I dont think the Leafs are going to make the playoffs. The Canes outplayed us today. I think we should tank so we can get a lottery pick and then build outward from there.
Really thinking Grabovski, Liles, Kessel, and Phaneuf all need to be moved.

Serious culture problem here in Toronto with Burke and Wilson's team.

Needs to be blown up and grown from the ashes.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:16 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Really thinking Grabovski, Liles, Kessel, and Phaneuf all need to be moved.

Serious culture problem here in Toronto with Burke and Wilson's team.

Needs to be blown up and grown from the ashes.
we are 5th in the east... go cry and whine some where else.

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Leafs Nation: When one loss trumps four consecutive wins.

Bunch of chicken littles around here...
Reminds me of the Montreal board after their loss to the Leafs. It was hilarious just some of the comments being thrown out, all while they still had a winning record. Team is right where I think many people had before the season started, playing near just above or below .500 hockey.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 653
With regards to 'tank nation'.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:19 PM
gustavsson50

Cant believe some leaf fans..pathetic! ! Relax ppl let the players return from injury and we will be back to being playoff team
GO LEAFS GO!!

gustavsson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

The only reason to tank is for Jones this year, and that ship has sailed. And Columbus is proud to select...