HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winter Storm on Saturday. (Blizzard IS HERE! AHHHH)

View Poll Results: Attendance
Will not attend and watch from local bar. 3 4.41%
Will not attend and watch from couch. 55 80.88%
Will attend if I have to get out the snow dogs and snow shoes. 10 14.71%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 09:03 AM
BruinsFan64

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Early projection has us getting another whopper next Sunday/Monday.
I prefer a BigMac thanks

Old
02-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by stungun View Post
we got smoked up here in Maine too, I can not believe we did not lose power, i lose power in the summer for crying out loud. bought a generator before sandy and have not had to hook it up yet thankfully. huge winds, we had snow drifts almost 5 feet high at my front door it was ridiculous. family on the south shore did not fare as well, hope they get power back soon and good luck to everyone, stay safe and think before you do anything stupid, especially when it comes to generators and power.
Did you climb out through the chimney? The last time I lived through something like that was in 1971. At the age I was then it was fun, today it would a totally different story.

Try to take it easy and don't rush going anywhere.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:33 AM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leviathan View Post
So after two days of long hard work we have managed to: snow blow and shovel our 800 foot driveway which hadn't been plowed past 9 PM Friday (still had around 16 inches of heavy snow on the ground), chain saw a path through the 80 foot pine that rested across our driveway (blocking our only access to the road), identify where the sporadically thrown cable and telephone wires were for both our house and the house to the front left of us at the top of the driveway (some had been buried under the snow, others stuck under the tree and downed poles), got the wires to the side of the driveway, got the transformer out of the middle of the driveway (we cut the telephone pole right below where the transformer was and rolled that piece off to the side of the driveway), and got the generator hooked up to provide energy for the fireplace insert which blows the hot air from the fire into the main floor of our house. We also have the fridge, a lamp, the Foreman grill, and our four laptops hooked up so that we can have contact with the world (someone around the area has a wireless network that provides us all with 1 bar). Listened to the game on the radio while playing rummy with my brother.

A guy that National Grid had flown in from Texas came by to inspect the scene and said that this was the first major problem he had come across. The news is not good: when the tree fell, it snapped two telephone poles including the one with the cables that hooked up to the underground wires which connect to our house. He quite literally used the phrasing "you're on your own for a little while." If the underground wires have busted, we will be out of power until the Spring because we will have to wait until the ice in the ground melts to even be able to even get to the wires. He told us that first and foremost the telephone company has to come to remove the transformer, downed wires and the two telephone poles, and then install the two new poles and new wires. After this has been accomplished, National Grid can come to install the power cables however they have no intention of and will not be setting up the connection to the underground wires. Instead we have to find and pay out of pocket for a certified electrician to come and make the connection with all new wires (which could be awhile before there is an opening). After the connection has been made, the town has to come to inspect and approve the connection (which again, will take some time because of all of the other inspections). After it has been approved by the town, National Grid can then come back and they will then turn on our power (which will take even more time because of everyone else they need to do the same thing for). The best part of all of this is that since there has only been three customers affected by this, we're not priority for any of the above tasks. We have no idea if this will be covered by our homeowner's insurance. Making calls to the different providers is the main priority for tomorrow.

Haven't showered since Friday morning at 5:30 AM and I smell like an expired can of spam. Good thing we washed all of our clothes before the storm hit and had bought enough food to survive for a little while should something like this happen.

The roads in my town are absolutely horrible. Since the town decided to build a new multi-million dollar school, they didn't have enough money set aside and didn't prepare for snow treatment or removal. One of my buddies who plows says the town plowed once at the beginning of the storm and that was it - there was no sand or salt put down on the roads. It appeared as though the cars themselves had done most of the clearing all around town and had compacted the snow.

I don't expect to have a full functioning house for about a month at best. Both of my parents work from home (mother is an online retailer, dad is a director of new business and development for his company that is out of Cincinnati) and my brother has the opportunity to work from home in the event that it's necessary. I on the other hand have an 80 mile commute and no ability to work out of home due to security restrictions (paralegal at a law firm). This is going to be a long and expensive month, especially at $40 a day for the generator.

Edit: I'll be posting up some videos and pictures when I get the chance.
Wow!! That stinks..at least no one got hurt by the falling tree though.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:21 AM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
Where are you?

please keep us updated.
East Bridgewater - posting from my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stungun View Post
Leviathan hope things turn out better for you and your family than anticipated. Sounds like a nightmare keep your spirits up.
Thank you! Yeah we're really banding together to get tasks accomplished. You really start to appreciate the things you take for granted.

Our big family table looks like what I would imagine the CIA command center would look like with all of our laptops at each seat .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka Time View Post
You need to switch firms. There are a bunch downtown that do.
I love what I do and I love who I work with. No can do there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Hang in there!!!

PS: Check your PM box
Thank you buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyMeister View Post
Wow!! That stinks..at least no one got hurt by the falling tree though.
Yeah, we're lucky to be alive. We had not known it was laying across the driveway when we had gone for a walk to check to see if we had any downed trees (of course the visibility was zero when it was just the 80mph wind gusts and fast falling snow, nevermind when we lost power all the way back into the woods). When we came to the scene, the pine caught on fire due to the live wires that it took down and the transformer exploded when we were between 10 and 30 feet away. Scariest moment of my life.

Here is my post explaining what happened: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=594

Old
02-11-2013, 10:59 AM
stungun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Chargers View Post
Did you climb out through the chimney? The last time I lived through something like that was in 1971. At the age I was then it was fun, today it would a totally different story.

Try to take it easy and don't rush going anywhere.
Thanks, life is back to normal here at least, of course it's snowing again today. We got close to 3 ft the rest was just blown around but damn it did pile up. I will this take this fluffy snow any day over wet stuff that ruins everything. My cars were literally clean of all snow because it was so light yet windy out. Take care everyone.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Alicat
City of Champions!

I got a ride from my dad this am so I am one of the lucky ones commuting wise at least until I leave at 4.

Boylston St. is a ghost town. Traffic is fairly light and there aren't a lot of people around. So strange not seeing cars parked on both sides of the street.

I'm dreading the parking lot at the train station tomorrow.

I am Boston Strong

Old
02-11-2013, 01:07 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Raining like hell here. Going to be a nightmare when this **** freezes

Old
02-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Neely08

Quote:
So after two days of long hard work we have managed to: snow blow and shovel our 800 foot driveway which hadn't been plowed past 9 PM Friday (still had around 16 inches of heavy snow on the ground), chain saw a path through the 80 foot pine that rested across our driveway (blocking our only access to the road), identify where the sporadically thrown cable and telephone wires were for both our house and the house to the front left of us at the top of the driveway (some had been buried under the snow, others stuck under the tree and downed poles), got the wires to the side of the driveway, got the transformer out of the middle of the driveway (we cut the telephone pole right below where the transformer was and rolled that piece off to the side of the driveway), and got the generator hooked up to provide energy for the fireplace insert which blows the hot air from the fire into the main floor of our house. We also have the fridge, a lamp, the Foreman grill, and our four laptops hooked up so that we can have contact with the world (someone around the area has a wireless network that provides us all with 1 bar). Listened to the game on the radio while playing rummy with my brother.

A guy that National Grid had flown in from Texas came by to inspect the scene and said that this was the first major problem he had come across. The news is not good: when the tree fell, it snapped two telephone poles including the one with the cables that hooked up to the underground wires which connect to our house. He quite literally used the phrasing "you're on your own for a little while." If the underground wires have busted, we will be out of power until the Spring because we will have to wait until the ice in the ground melts to even be able to even get to the wires. He told us that first and foremost the telephone company has to come to remove the transformer, downed wires and the two telephone poles, and then install the two new poles and new wires. After this has been accomplished, National Grid can come to install the power cables however they have no intention of and will not be setting up the connection to the underground wires. Instead we have to find and pay out of pocket for a certified electrician to come and make the connection with all new wires (which could be awhile before there is an opening). After the connection has been made, the town has to come to inspect and approve the connection (which again, will take some time because of all of the other inspections). After it has been approved by the town, National Grid can then come back and they will then turn on our power (which will take even more time because of everyone else they need to do the same thing for). The best part of all of this is that since there has only been three customers affected by this, we're not priority for any of the above tasks. We have no idea if this will be covered by our homeowner's insurance. Making calls to the different providers is the main priority for tomorrow.

Haven't showered since Friday morning at 5:30 AM and I smell like an expired can of spam. Good thing we washed all of our clothes before the storm hit and had bought enough food to survive for a little while should something like this happen.

The roads in my town are absolutely horrible. Since the town decided to build a new multi-million dollar school, they didn't have enough money set aside and didn't prepare for snow treatment or removal. One of my buddies who plows says the town plowed once at the beginning of the storm and that was it - there was no sand or salt put down on the roads. It appeared as though the cars themselves had done most of the clearing all around town and had compacted the snow.

I don't expect to have a full functioning house for about a month at best. Both of my parents work from home (mother is an online retailer, dad is a director of new business and development for his company that is out of Cincinnati) and my brother has the opportunity to work from home in the event that it's necessary. I on the other hand have an 80 mile commute and no ability to work out of home due to security restrictions (paralegal at a law firm). This is going to be a long and expensive month, especially at $40 a day for the generator.

Edit: I'll be posting up some videos and pictures when I get the chance.
Sorry to hear. Had a whole floor wiped out from a flood a couple of years ago. Not the same, but I know that "you're on your own" feeling. As our whole street was washed out, therefore took a while to get pumping equipment to my house, no car, etc.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:01 PM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Sorry to hear. Had a whole floor wiped out from a flood a couple of years ago. Not the same, but I know that "you're on your own" feeling. As our whole street was washed out, therefore took a while to get pumping equipment to my house, no car, etc.
Oh wow, our current situation is nothing compared to what you went through. Hope everything has been fixed and cleaned up for you since then!

Old
02-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Oh wow, our current situation is nothing compared to what you went through. Hope everything has been fixed and cleaned up for you since then!
Yup, we're good. See what your home owners covers. Was a tough couple of years. But, lawsuit different story. They put a development of million dollar homes up the street from me on former wetlands. Then let Forrest Gump engineer the drainage, or actually, not engineer any additional drainage. Awesome idea.

Anyway, wish you the best. I know going w/o power sucks, too. Wears on you. Especially w/ kids.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
East Bridgewater - posting from my house.

Thank you! Yeah we're really banding together to get tasks accomplished. You really start to appreciate the things you take for granted.

Our big family table looks like what I would imagine the CIA command center would look like with all of our laptops at each seat .

I love what I do and I love who I work with. No can do there!

Thank you buddy!

Yeah, we're lucky to be alive. We had not known it was laying across the driveway when we had gone for a walk to check to see if we had any downed trees (of course the visibility was zero when it was just the 80mph wind gusts and fast falling snow, nevermind when we lost power all the way back into the woods). When we came to the scene, the pine caught on fire due to the live wires that it took down and the transformer exploded when we were between 10 and 30 feet away. Scariest moment of my life.

Here is my post explaining what happened: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=594
Amazing stuff, but yes, it could always be worse, right? Thankfully trees/poles didn't land on your house!

Old
02-11-2013, 04:11 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmont Flavor View Post
Medford Public closed tomorrow.

There are two teenagers in the living room celebrating with the XBox.

Looks like we could have some ice for the morning commute tomorrow as well.

Yay?
Medford's closed again tomorrow and Somerville already called off school for wednesday!

Old
02-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Scotto74
Back in Blue!

all the schools around me are cancled. I am still waiting for heat/power. My poor cats are getting cold again tonight.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Old
02-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
all the schools around me are cancled. I am still waiting for heat/power. My poor cats are getting cold again tonight.
Do you have any heat source? Like a fireplace ?

Good Luck. I hope you have power soon.

02-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Culture of Hockey
Classless Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Medford's closed again tomorrow and Somerville already called off school for wednesday!
Oh believe me, I've already heard.

I'm not surprised. I thankfully live on a decently traveled street that's reasonably clear, but some of the side streets in the area are still a mess. It would be a nightmare for buses to try and pass.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:16 PM
ProdigalFan
HFBoards Sponsor

Leviathan and any others reasonably close by:

I'm in Mansfield. My condo has heat, hot water, and a common laundry room, also there's a laundromat within walking distance. Feel free to PM me if I can help you out.

My brother is in Marshfield and hasn't had power since Friday night. He works at CSN up in Burlington, not a fun commute. He doesn't have a smartphone, so I've been following the NSTAR outage map and Marshfield scanner twitter to send him updates when he's not at work. Marshfield has gotten power back in a few areas, but mostly by the water and he's over on the Pembroke line. I invited him to come stay with me, but he's toughing it out with his dog.

Lots of the nurses I work with live on the S. Shore and don't have power.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Boston XII
B's & 12's

Just got power and heat back around 10:30pm here in Plymouth. It was out since 9pm Friday night. I can finally feel my toes again!

Old
02-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
you hang in there

Old
02-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalFan View Post

I'm in Mansfield. My condo has heat, hot water, and a common laundry room, also there's a laundromat within walking distance. Feel free to PM me if I can help you out.

My brother is in Marshfield and hasn't had power since Friday night. He works at CSN up in Burlington, not a fun commute. He doesn't have a smartphone, so I've been following the NSTAR outage map and Marshfield scanner twitter to send him updates when he's not at work. Marshfield has gotten power back in a few areas, but mostly by the water and he's over on the Pembroke line. I invited him to come stay with me, but he's toughing it out with his dog.

You're a good person.

Coincidence you're a nurse?

I don't think so...

Old
02-12-2013, 12:22 AM
stungun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalFan View Post

Hey Prodigal my family is in Marshfield (MarshVegas) too. They are pretty screwed from the sounds of it, trees and poles snapped everywhere with wires down on my brothers car (they parked four in the driveway/hill so his is blocking all the others from getting out). Sisters in Scituate, Plymouth and Pembroke all without power this afternoon too. Told them all to come up here to visit me in Maine, hell most of them are coming up next week anyways... Frigging crazy, if anyone is without power pack up your ski gear and head north at least you will be warm. All kidding aside I hope life turns back to normal soon and seriously consider buying a portable generator, I got one before Hurricane Sandy for $300 at BJ's, cant power everything but may make you more comfortable for a few days. Take care and go B's................

Old
02-21-2013, 08:42 AM
BeardBros
Everything hurt more

So the weekend's coming, and we may be in for it again.

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigw...eather+Outlook

Quote:
THE
THREAT FOR A PERIOD OF HEAVY SNOW IS POSSIBLE ACROSS MUCH OF THE
REGION. THERE WILL BE THE POTENTIAL FOR SOME DOWNED TREE LIMBS AND
POWER OUTAGES WHERE HEAVY WET SNOW OCCURS.
Liquid form please.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:27 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardBros View Post

Liquid form please.
Oh ****.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardBros View Post

Liquid form please.

My plow Jeep needs a radiator hose. I hate working on cars. I HATE working on cars in the winter!!

Old
02-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post

My plow Jeep needs a radiator hose. I hate working on cars. I HATE working on cars in the winter!!

I had radiator issues for a month this fall.. the smell of anti-freeze puts me in a foul mood now.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Bridges31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post

Cars only seem to need work in the winter time too.

Closed Thread