HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brian Boyle (The "He just plain sucks" Edition)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2013, 04:22 PM
  #201
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Honestly, I think the most damning player development examples are Jamie Lundmark, and Mike York. Especially Mike York.
That's assuming he was ever going to be anything special. Had a very good rookie year and then disappeared off the face of the earth. I think that if you're going to be a good player you won't fall apart at the first sign of adversity. Otherwise you likely wouldn't have been a good player anyway.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:26 PM
  #202
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
You're basing this off of two games. I'm basing this off of two seasons. One of which saw the Rangers come in first place in the conference and make there best cup run since the win in 94.
What are you basing off two seasons? All I said was that Boyle is a better skater than Asham.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:28 PM
  #203
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
"serviceable" would be Blair Betts. Boyle is clearly better than Betts.
Funny you bring up Betts. He was better penalty killer than boyle but also had no offensive ability. Where is he now?

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:31 PM
  #204
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
It's not just the goal; it's the positioning, passing, skating and toughness that has earned him a spot. Torts could not have been more complimentary about him yesterday. Boyle lovers need to
Set their sights on Halpern, Miller or Kreider if they want to see their boy back in.
You would prefer Boyle take Miller or Kreider's spot than Asham's? Here I thought we were on the same page.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:35 PM
  #205
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Funny you bring up Betts. He was better penalty killer than boyle but also had no offensive ability. Where is he now?
You mean the guy who had an almost 10 year NHL career who had to stop because of injuries?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:36 PM
  #206
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
"serviceable" would be Blair Betts. Boyle is clearly better than Betts.
Boyle defenders like to reference his big 21 goal season. He's a center. How many assists does he produce on average? And don't blame his linemates; feds and pruster will come after you.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:38 PM
  #207
16 To Stanley*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
What are you basing off two seasons? All I said was that Boyle is a better skater than Asham.
That boyle is a better fit for this team than asham.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:39 PM
  #208
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,679
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Boyle defenders like to reference his big 21 goal season. He's a center. How many assists does he produce on average? And don't blame his linemates; feds and pruster will come after you.
Is there something wrong with a center who scores goals?

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:40 PM
  #209
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
You mean the guy who had an almost 10 year NHL career who had to stop because of injuries?
Nce try. He played 6 NHL seasons; 4 with the Rangers. Injuries? Or did he not get any interest after the Flyers were done with him? He's only 32 now!!

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:40 PM
  #210
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
That boyle is a better fit for this team than asham.
Boyle was a better fit for the grind them out, pray you win 2-1 or 3-2 teams of the last few years. IMO, that's not the case anymore.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:41 PM
  #211
16 To Stanley*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Boyle defenders like to reference his big 21 goal season. He's a center. How many assists does he produce on average? And don't blame his linemates; feds and pruster will come after you.
Actually we like to reference his overall game. I know his 21 goal season was a fluke. Doesnt mean he isn't valuable. Also 12-15 goals from a 4th line center is pretty significant. Look at the rest of the league and tell me how many 3rd liners produce that much, let alone 4th liners.

And honestly, i could give a **** if he scored 5 goals. It's the rest of what he brings that i really care about. The fact that he isnt a liability and is actually pretty damn good in shutting down other teams top players is huge and a major bonus for a 4th line player.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:42 PM
  #212
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
That boyle is a better fit for this team than asham.
If so he would be playing Tomorrow night; which he won't.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:42 PM
  #213
16 To Stanley*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Boyle was a better fit for the grind them out, pray you win 2-1 or 3-2 teams of the last few years. IMO, that's not the case anymore.
Whether you like it or not, a Torts team is always going to be a grind it out team. Boyless or not.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:42 PM
  #214
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Boyle defenders like to reference his big 21 goal season. He's a center. How many assists does he produce on average? And don't blame his linemates; feds and pruster will come after you.
"And dont use the legitimate argument that any center playing with 4 stone hands on his wings probably wont generate many assists"

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:43 PM
  #215
16 To Stanley*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
If so he would be playing Tomorrow night; which he won't.
You're right. because not playing in the 12th game of the season proves that. Just like Kredier wasn't a fit last season, or hagelin....

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:44 PM
  #216
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Whether you like it or not, a Torts team is always going to be a grind it out team. Boyless or not.
The moves made and their play since those moves (as small of a sample as it is) says otherwise. Not that they can't grind it out, but it looks that the current lineup can complete a pass and skate for a change. Haven't seen that since Straka-Nylander-Jagr.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:45 PM
  #217
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Actually we like to reference his overall game. I know his 21 goal season was a fluke. Doesnt mean he isn't valuable. Also 12-15 goals from a 4th line center is pretty significant. Look at the rest of the league and tell me how many 3rd liners produce that much, let alone 4th liners.

And honestly, i could give a **** if he scored 5 goals. It's the rest of what he brings that i really care about. The fact that he isnt a liability and is actually pretty damn good in shutting down other teams top players is huge and a major bonus for a 4th line player.
He doesn't shut anyone down. That's BS. On the PK he's fine. At even strength he's a liability and Torts has finally removed the Boston goggles and now sees it. Sorry but that is the current reality.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:45 PM
  #218
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
"And dont use the legitimate argument that any center playing with 4 stone hands on his wings probably wont generate many assists"
The argument would be more legit if he were creating chances and those stone hands weren't finishing them.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:47 PM
  #219
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Nce try. He played 6 NHL seasons; 4 with the Rangers. Injuries? Or did he not get any interest after the Flyers were done with him? He's only 32 now!!
He was waived by Philly, picked up by the Habs, but failed his physical. So they sent him back to Philly, where he spent basically all of last year on IR.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:48 PM
  #220
16 To Stanley*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
He doesn't shut anyone down. That's BS. On the PK he's fine. At even strength he's a liability and Torts has finally removed the Boston goggles and now sees it. Sorry but that is the current reality.
This is just wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
The moves made and their play since those moves (as small of a sample as it is) says otherwise. Not that they can't grind it out, but it looks that the current lineup can complete a pass and skate for a change. Haven't seen that since Straka-Nylander-Jagr.
Even the islanders have 2 game streaks where they look good. Again, I'll base my opinion on the past 100 + games, with the same system/coach/most players, versus a 2 game sample size in which we played the islanders who are a lottery team and the lightning who's defense is pathetic.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:51 PM
  #221
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
This is just wrong.



Even the islanders have 2 game streaks where they look good. Again, I'll base my opinion on the past 100 + games, with the same system/coach/most players, versus a 2 game sample size in which we played the islanders who are a lottery team and the lightning who's defense is pathetic.
I'm not saying they'll look like that against every team. Just look at their personnel. The worst skater on the team is probably Stepan. Compare that to Rupp last year. Hell, this year we had games where we had Rupp, Boyle, and Bickel in. They also have talented players that can pass throughout the lineup. No, every player is not Adam Oates, but they can complete passes rather than exclusively dump and chase. Just look at the talent.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:59 PM
  #222
16 To Stanley*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I'm not saying they'll look like that against every team. Just look at their personnel. The worst skater on the team is probably Stepan. Compare that to Rupp last year. Hell, this year we had games where we had Rupp, Boyle, and Bickel in. They also have talented players that can pass throughout the lineup. No, every player is not Adam Oates, but they can complete passes rather than exclusively dump and chase. Just look at the talent.
It's mostly the same crew, in fact the guys that were brought, were mainly to further improve the grind it out style that was taught last year. Do you really think someone like Torts, who preaches system to an absurd extent, is going to change his system, with the majority of the crew being the same as last season? In fact, he's come out and said it's the same system as last season. Pyatt was brought in to be better on the boards than Feds. Halpern is much faster and can forecheck better and get in on the puck on the dump and chase. Powe is basically the same player as prust, minus the fights.

If you think this team is changing it's style, you're in for a rude awakening. They are trying to better accommodate that style to take them to the next level. No team and coach that stays mostly the same, is going to change a system that had them first in the conference and 2 games from the stanley cup the season before.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:03 PM
  #223
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Nce try. He played 6 NHL seasons; 4 with the Rangers. Injuries? Or did he not get any interest after the Flyers were done with him? He's only 32 now!!
He played 6 basically full seasons but started breaking into the league 3 years before that. Obviously Calgary knew he was useful or they wouldn't have kept trying to get him into the NHL those 3 years. Then he played for us during the lockout, which would've probably been an NHL season for him.

Then he failed his physical when the Habs acquired him, so yes, it was injuries.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:32 PM
  #224
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
The argument would be more legit if he were creating chances and those stone hands weren't finishing them.
The argument that Boyle needs to generate more offense is a flawed one to begin with.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:42 PM
  #225
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,145
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankLarkin View Post
guess you weren't born when Orr played for the Rangers. Goon is such an overused term these days. Steve Durbano and Jimmy Mann were goons.
What? I have no idea who those guys are which doesn't surprise me because fighting in hockey does not interest me much especially when it is goons fighting for no other reason than to stay on the team by staging a bout to do something since they can't do anything else.

Perhaps you mean they were BETTER goons? Like they always won their fights or something? Great!

But yeah, Colton Orr was good for nothing else other than dropping the gloves for a stupid fight.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.