HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

James Reimer Discussion Thread.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Reimer seems to have been able to refocus his game this year and it's really encouraging to see one of our young players be able to get through the adversity. In his rookie year he didn't wow with his athleticism, but had really keen puck tracking abilities. Then he seemed to have lost it all last year, whether it be a result of his concussion and time off, or because of the Allaire 'blocking' influence where he basically just closed his eyes and hoped for the best.

He seems to pull off that belly flop a little too much for my liking but his eyes seem to be working much better and he's made some noticeable glove saves, which is encouraging as he's building his game and such.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:59 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

the most worrying thing for me last year with St.James was that he was letting goals in through the holes underneath his elbows. Those are just bad goals that a positional goalie cannot be giving up. He's gotta be airtight in tight to the body like that. Thankfully this year I don't think he's let in even one of those so far.

The occasional five-hole goal when he's moving side to side - especially when the three this year have been off the sticks of crosby, malkin, and ovechkin - I can live with. Those goals don't indicate fundamental technique problems like those under the arm goals do.

and I don't worry much at all about top-corner snipe goals, as long as the goalie is in good position covering most of the net. those goals will happen.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:36 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Just want to say hes BACK.

Hes our #1. I have the faith.

Optimus lives!

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:50 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Agreed with Blasted, Reimer was great for us last night and did everything we needed him for. The next few game should go to him again, stability was awesome.

03-05-2013, 07:02 AM
The Caveman
snowbozie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
the most worrying thing for me last year with St.James was that he was letting goals in through the holes underneath his elbows. Those are just bad goals that a positional goalie cannot be giving up. He's gotta be airtight in tight to the body like that. Thankfully this year I don't think he's let in even one of those so far.

The occasional five-hole goal when he's moving side to side - especially when the three this year have been off the sticks of crosby, malkin, and ovechkin - I can live with. Those goals don't indicate fundamental technique problems like those under the arm goals do.

and I don't worry much at all about top-corner snipe goals, as long as the goalie is in good position covering most of the net. those goals will happen.
he just seems to go down a bit early. The posts that saved us last night were high shots. But I agree, he is looking stronger and stronger.

The Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:03 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caveman View Post
he just seems to go down a bit early. The posts that saved us last night were high shots. But I agree, he is looking stronger and stronger.
Shots that hit posts arent goals that are miraculously saved. They're shots that miss the net.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Shots that hit posts arent goals that are miraculously saved. They're shots that miss the net.
This. Whether it's Kessel hitting posts or pucks hitting posts behind Reimer, I always believe shooter is at fault.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:24 AM
TheOneArmedMan

When Reimer gets a streak going he is very confident... I think he is our #1 for now... let's home he does not get anymore injuries so he can prove himself.

TheOneArmedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Hockeylaw

Scrivens deserves a lot of credit for stepping in and holding down the fort. But I agree that Carlyle should run with Reimer for the next little while. His rebound control has been much better than Ben's, and he has a steadying effect that is very valuable in a goalie.

Hockeylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:46 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeylaw View Post
Scrivens deserves a lot of credit for stepping in and holding down the fort. But I agree that Carlyle should run with Reimer for the next little while. His rebound control has been much better than Ben's, and he has a steadying effect that is very valuable in a goalie.

Scrivens does deserve some credit. But its apparent that Reimer is the better goalie. And younger as well. Reimers rebound control is infinitely superior to Scrivens.

Im fine with the duo, but Reimer, in my eyes at least, is clearly the starter. Thats no slight to Ben, as its important to have a steady back-up (just ask Jersey fans about that).

Old
03-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Joey Hoser

Looks like Reimer is the number 1, but I'd still like to see Scrivens get more than the traditional backup workload. If they could split the starts 2-1 or so that would be ideal I think. Scivens has played well pretty much the entire time he's been a pro, except for brief periods where he was not assured to have a heavy workload. Seems like a good idea to avoid that, especially when he's playing nearly as well as Reimer anyway.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:56 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Price was 2 years younger, but Reimer's first 3 seasons %s look pretty similar to Price's first 3 seasons (Reimer with a better 3rd year it looks like). Hopefully James keeps it up!

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Clark4Ever

Reimer is not the type of goalie that will necessarily steal games, but he has been a steady presence in goal for the most part this season, and that in of itself is a refereshing change for this franchise.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:42 AM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
Reimer is not the type of goalie that will necessarily steal games, but he has been a steady presence in goal for the most part this season, and that in of itself is a refereshing change for this franchise.
But he has stole plenty of games for us

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
He stole a game last night..if he doesn't stop Elias the game is tied we played like complete garbage for 40 minutes and Reimer kept us in it. He's also stolen games in the past

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Stats01

BOOM! Robbery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHKKxmCc2XE

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeylaw View Post
See I disagree with this approach- I'm a believer that you run with the hot hand, Scrivens played well when Riemer was out then he stunk the joint up which allowed Riemer to come back. Where Carlyle goofed though was giving Reimer the nod in net after the 5-4 win to the Isles, that should have been Scrivens in net last night.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
But he has stole plenty of games for us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
He stole a game last night..if he doesn't stop Elias the game is tied we played like complete garbage for 40 minutes and Reimer kept us in it. He's also stolen games in the past
I think he has absolutely kept us in games in which we were being outplayed a few times, but I don't think he has stolen any games for us by standing on his head the way the elite goaltenders in the NHL do.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:30 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
See I disagree with this approach- I'm a believer that you run with the hot hand, Scrivens played well when Riemer was out then he stunk the joint up which allowed Riemer to come back. Where Carlyle goofed though was giving Reimer the nod in net after the 5-4 win to the Isles, that should have been Scrivens in net last night.
Reimer beat the Isles, why should he have been yanked? U dont punish a guy for a WIN in his first game back from injury.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Reimer beat the Isles, why should he have been yanked? U dont punish a guy for a WIN in his first game back from injury.
I'm sorry but I wouldnt give him much credit for that win, had a 4-2 lead and blew it, had it not been for Kadri's x3 and Phaneuf's OT heroics that game would have been lost.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:06 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
I'm sorry but I wouldnt give him much credit for that win, had a 4-2 lead and blew it, had it not been for Kadri's x3 and Phaneuf's OT heroics that game would have been lost.
The team in front of left him out to dry in the third.

You crush his confidence if you punish him after a win. Ask any coach if they give a rats behind how his goalie wins as long as at the end of the night they have the W.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:07 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
What on earth are you babbling about? Yes, Reimer didn't have his greatest performance against the Isles, but you have to cut him some slack as it was his first game back from injury. Reimer played great last night and we won the game. Yet you'd rather Scrivens had started even after he recently started to "stink up the joint", as you put it?

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
I like going with the hot hand too, but that's overdoing it a bit. If you switch guys out at the slightest bit of trouble it's just overreactive.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Erdinger

For all our criticism of Reimer and Scrivens now that Montreal has finally caught up in games played their D has given up 2 more goal than the Leafs. Nobody was getting down on Montreal's goalie situation a few games ago.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:59 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
I think you had to go back with Reimer against the Devils. You expect a guy coming back from injury isn't going to be at his sharpest. He still got the win which let them give him another shot. If Reimer was terrible against the Devils then you probably let Scrivens have his shot.

You need to give guys coming back a chance, but just be reasonable about it. Can't go like Wilson and just play a guy who isn't his usual self no matter how he looks over an extended stretch. But nothing wrong with giving a guy a chance after a long weekend. It worked, so no problem there.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote