HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 09:02 AM
LeHabsMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
In this case I would take Pulock,Risto, or Shinkaruk....

I would love Slepyshev and Nichushkin if they were def going to play for the team in the nesr future....

Since both have KHL contracts and are not def coming accross the pont, then I would only pick them in the 6th and 7th rounds...

I actually wanted the Isles to take Slepyshev in the bottom of the draft last year...
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
I'm at a point where I wouldn't even consider a Russian until at least the 2nd round, if not later. Not only do the lesser known players bail out whenever they want, but now the superstars that are supposedly very happy here make threats. Ovechkin and Kovalchuk (especially Kovy), made some statements during the lockout about staying home for the entire year. Kovy played an extra few games after the lockout ended, as he tried to make the Devils sweat a bit.

The KHL gave all these guys a legitimate option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Nope, Give me any one of Shinkaruk, Ristolainen, Erne, Pulock, Hagg before Nichushkin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I agree. No more high end Russians. Package whatever you need to package and get into the top 4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I wouldn't touch him with a pick in the first round. He is very talented, but the Russian factor and the Isles history makes me hesitant.
Makes sense. I still if he would come over for sure, he deserves to be a top 5 pick and would be sick along side Tavares.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:08 AM
luki here

Iff nichushkin is still available at the 20th pick, would u guys trade up to get him?

Old
02-11-2013, 10:07 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
Iff nichushkin is still available at the 20th pick, would u guys trade up to get him?
I originally wanted Nichushkin more than anyone in this draft that included Jones/Mac. However, when I found out Nich' is signed through 2016 I believe in the KHL scared me away. Not that that is a bad time frame to wait for a prospect. However, what is to say the kid doesn't re-sign after his contract is up ala Petrov.

That being said, I could see Nich' going early still, guys like Tarasenko went mid round, Kuznetsov went around 26 and Filatov (despite his success) played in NA despite playing in Russia all of his youth.

You live and die by the bullet. If the Islanders were a little more stocked and could afford to take a flyer I would be all in. However, the Islanders can ill afford to trade back into the first without having a second rounder this year.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:28 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

If we miss out on Jones and MacKinnon but still end up with a top-5 pick, I'd absolutely make it available on the trade market for a top pairing, youngish defender. If nothing is available, keep the pick and take Lindholm or Drouin.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:52 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
If we miss out on Jones and MacKinnon but still end up with a top-5 pick, I'd absolutely make it available on the trade market for a top pairing, youngish defender. If nothing is available, keep the pick and take Lindholm or Drouin.
This may sound silly, but if a team is willing to move such an asset for a high draft pick what does that say about said defender?

Top young defenders do not grow on trees as we all know. Thus, why wouldn't an organization do everything in their power to develop them and hold onto them? I mean lets say a year or two from now, would we want to flip Reinhart for a top five pick?

Again, I could be wrong, I am just looking at it as a team would value a top pick more then a top pairing young defender might mean that team doesn't think much of their own talent. Unless, that is a cap casualty move.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:21 AM
scott99

Quote:
At this point, we don't have a 2nd round pick, so no. Also, he signed a THREE year contract in the KHL, so no way.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Uffe Bodin @UffeBodin
Valeriy Nichushkin with a dominant performance in the 5-nations Tournament in Sweden. The draft eligible Russian had 11 points in 4 gms.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:31 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Uffe Bodin @UffeBodin
Valeriy Nichushkin with a dominant performance in the 5-nations Tournament in Sweden. The draft eligible Russian had 11 points in 4 gms.
Congrats Nicushkin ! But I have to reiterate, If the Isles waste a #1 pick on this guy, I'd be REALLY pissed. We won't see this guy until the 2016-17 season.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:34 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
This may sound silly, but if a team is willing to move such an asset for a high draft pick what does that say about said defender?

Top young defenders do not grow on trees as we all know. Thus, why wouldn't an organization do everything in their power to develop them and hold onto them? I mean lets say a year or two from now, would we want to flip Reinhart for a top five pick?

Again, I could be wrong, I am just looking at it as a team would value a top pick more then a top pairing young defender might mean that team doesn't think much of their own talent. Unless, that is a cap casualty move.
Normally, the 1st round pick is in addition to a young player/prospect and maybe a B-level prospect for a quality player in return. Look at the Jordan Staal trade - 1st rounder (8th overall), Brandon Sutter, and Brian Dumoulin.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:32 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Yandle???

Old
02-11-2013, 01:48 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post

I wouldn't expect to get a 22-3 year old defender, but something in the 26-30 age range would be ideal. As PW said, the 1st would most likely be part of a package, not the sole piece. With the cap dropping, I'm sure players like that could be had for the right price. Look at Duncan Keith in Chicago. They will have to trade one of those big contracts away and I don't see Toews, Kane or Seabrook going anywhere. My guess would be Hossa or Keith, and for the right price I'm assuming either could be had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Normally, the 1st round pick is in addition to a young player/prospect and maybe a B-level prospect for a quality player in return. Look at the Jordan Staal trade - 1st rounder (8th overall), Brandon Sutter, and Brian Dumoulin.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Yandle???
Correct again.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:36 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Isles drafted Petrov in 2008, knowing he had a 4 yr KHL contract. The waited patiently for that contract to end and made their offer, only to have him remain in the KHL

Petrov, the KHL contract hassle with Vis...I'd hope Snow would pass on Nichushkin.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:42 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Isles drafted Petrov in 2008, knowing he had a 4 yr KHL contract. The waited patiently for that contract to end and made their offer, only to have him remain in the KHL

Petrov, the KHL contract hassle with Vis...I'd hope Snow would pass on Nichushkin.
And I wouldn't be surprised if Nishushkin feels the same way.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:09 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
And I wouldn't be surprised if Nishushkin feels the same way.
Then it works well all around.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:14 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Sounds like I am in the minority, but depending on the cost I would.

The Isles have stockpiled prospects and have a ton of depth. Given that, I would absolutely take the home run shot.

I just think there is such a difference between this guy and anybody else who will get drafted in the late first/early second (I know we don't have either, but that may change at the deadline) that makes it worth the risk. If we had a pick in the 25-35 range and could package a 3rd to get a player with top-5 talent, I would do that in a heartbeat.

You don't get many shots at star players, especially after the top 4 or 5 picks. If you already have the depth, take the shot.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:17 PM
nickschultzfan

Wild fan living in NYC. Really hope you guys get Jones. Would love to watch a young Islander team with him on the blueline along with Hamonic and Reinhart.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:28 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Wild fan living in NYC. Really hope you guys get Jones. Would love to watch a young Islander team with him on the blueline along with Hamonic and Reinhart.
That would be insanely awesome, especially since I'm high on 2 other Islander's D prospects Scott Mayfield and Andrei Pedan, 2 other big mean defensemen with offensive talent. Those 5 would make an awesome defense.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Witnessed Shinkaruk a good bit at the U-18 last spring and he really looked like he had a nose for the net. I almost wouldn't be surprised if he eventually is one of these guys like Skinner who jumps right in and makes an impact.

On the other hand, he really wasn't a very tall guy last spring. I don't know if he's grown much since. I hope for his sake that he has.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 02-11-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old
02-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Sounds like I am in the minority, but depending on the cost I would.

The Isles have stockpiled prospects and have a ton of depth. Given that, I would absolutely take the home run shot.

I just think there is such a difference between this guy and anybody else who will get drafted in the late first/early second (I know we don't have either, but that may change at the deadline) that makes it worth the risk. If we had a pick in the 25-35 range and could package a 3rd to get a player with top-5 talent, I would do that in a heartbeat.

You don't get many shots at star players, especially after the top 4 or 5 picks. If you already have the depth, take the shot.
I see a lot of kids in this draft who I'd love to see the Isles take. Jones is my personal fave. Am also big on Zadorov. Like a few forwards. There are a number of other solid picks to be had.

But I do think that from a sporting standpoint, this kid Nichushkin is an even more topflight prospect than Grigorenko.

Whoever grabs him will be going for the homerun. They might just make out big there.

The Russian aspect is the big problem, but I doubt you'll find a scout anywhere who would say his NHL-ability is anything but certain, with big time impact almost probable.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
A little robocop for everyone!

Last edited by Bunk Moreland: 02-11-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 06:40 AM
Tavaresfan91

Am I the only on that picks mackinnon over jones with #1 pick? I think he would be more useful with that pick

Old
02-12-2013, 07:35 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Death moans for Seth Jones!

Old
02-12-2013, 09:00 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
A little robocop for everyone!
Haha Cappy and his beret make the picutre.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:08 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Haha Cappy and his beret make the picutre.
Would be cooler with black-eye cappy though

Old
02-12-2013, 09:28 AM
steveat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I see a lot of kids in this draft who I'd love to see the Isles take. Jones is my personal fave. Am also big on Zadorov. Like a few forwards. There are a number of other solid picks to be had.

But I do think that from a sporting standpoint, this kid Nichushkin is an even more topflight prospect than Grigorenko.

Whoever grabs him will be going for the homerun. They might just make out big there.

The Russian aspect is the big problem, but I doubt you'll find a scout anywhere who would say his NHL-ability is anything but certain, with big time impact almost probable.
I don't thin we would get lucky enough to land Seth, but I'm with you on Zadarov. The kid is big, nasty and talented. He is as ready to step into an NHL role as Seth I believe. The other players (other than Seth) will take at least 3 years before they step in.

Closed Thread