HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Vanderbeek Thanks Fans, Devils Fanbase Finally Turning The Corner?

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

vCash: 500
Vanderbeek Thanks Fans, Devils Fanbase Finally Turning The Corner?

Saw this linked from the Facebook page

http://devils.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=86777

"Dear Devils Fans –Saturday was all about the best New Jersey has to offer. Some snow? No big deal. It meant building a snowman, sledding and hockey. And when it came to hockey, you showed up in huge numbers to see a great effort by Jersey’s Team at the Rock. The game was sold out in advance and we had fewer than 700 no shows. It’s a testament to the hard work by NJTransit, NJDOT, Essex County and Newark, along with all the other towns in northern New Jersey to make sure the roads and rails were so easy to use. And, of course, it speaks to your dedication as Devils fans. With your help we have sold out 17 of the last 18 homes games. What’s more, because of your loud, passionate support as a member of the Devils Army, Prudential Center is now earning a reputation as a tough place to play. So thank you for being the best fans in the NHL and for having that Jersey attitude to not let a little snow stop you from coming to root for the Devils. On behalf of the entire Devils organization, we appreciate it!

Best, Jeff Vanderbeek Chairman"

Awesome stuff. I havent heen to a game since November in 11, but friends have told me the atmosphere in the arena has been "different" over the last year. In a very positive way.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Omar Little
Omar comin yo

Jeff Vanderbeek has done a fantastic job reaching out to the fan base and being active in trying to make the devils experience a very fan centric one. He's done an awesome job.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Cowbell232

Turning what corner?

We always sell more tickets post-football season.

Attendance always goes up this time of year. Not a surprise at all.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
I do fully believe we are becoming a bigger and bigger influence in the NY area.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Turning what corner?

We always sell more tickets post-football season.

Attendance always goes up this time of year. Not a surprise at all.
Have we ever opened a season with this many sellouts? General interest in the team seems to be at an all-time high right now, even moreso than coming off an actual cup win.

I remember a time when you would be hardpressed to see a Devils' crowd wearing team colors/paraphenalia. Nlwadays, its a sea of red. You see more team colors/pride in Devils crowds these days than you do NYR or Philly even. Its a really cool thing to see imo.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Devils Dominion
Thank you Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Saw this linked from the Facebook page

http://devils.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=86777

"Dear Devils Fans –Saturday was all about the best New Jersey has to offer. Some snow? No big deal. It meant building a snowman, sledding and hockey. And when it came to hockey, you showed up in huge numbers to see a great effort by Jersey’s Team at the Rock. The game was sold out in advance and we had fewer than 700 no shows. It’s a testament to the hard work by NJTransit, NJDOT, Essex County and Newark, along with all the other towns in northern New Jersey to make sure the roads and rails were so easy to use. And, of course, it speaks to your dedication as Devils fans. With your help we have sold out 17 of the last 18 homes games. What’s more, because of your loud, passionate support as a member of the Devils Army, Prudential Center is now earning a reputation as a tough place to play. So thank you for being the best fans in the NHL and for having that Jersey attitude to not let a little snow stop you from coming to root for the Devils. On behalf of the entire Devils organization, we appreciate it!

Best, Jeff Vanderbeek Chairman"

Awesome stuff. I havent heen to a game since November in 11, but friends have told me the atmosphere in the arena has been "different" over the last year. In a very positive way.
I also sense that our fans are becoming more vocal in their support.
We're not just cheering goals or waiting for Baumann or the guy in 233 to start a Let's Go Devils chant.

Fans are in playoff mode in a way and getting involved early and more often rather than sitting on their hands.

Fans are really in to the team and are trying to will them to win each night.
They are engaged in each shift.

It's making it a much better atmosphere, and the added number of people each night also helps it.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:14 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Obligatory "no fans" joke.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Have we ever opened a season with this many sellouts? General interest in the team seems to be at an all-time high right now, even moreso than coming off an actual cup win.

I remember a time when you would be hardpressed to see a Devils' crowd wearing team colors/paraphenalia. Nlwadays, its a sea of red. You see more team colors/pride in Devils crowds these days than you do NYR or Philly even. Its a really cool thing to see imo.
No, but we always traditionally sell more tickets this time of the calendar year is what I'm trying to say.

Also, the move to Newark is starting to pay off in terms of restaurants, parking, etc. where enough people come and feel safe to continue coming. This is a process they knew would take time. Making the finals helped though, no question.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:44 PM
HenriquesJawLine

Every year our fanbase gets older and richer, there's still a large majority in college that don't have the income to attend multiple games. Brought a couple buddies to the game thurs night and they thought Dinosaur BBQ was awesome on top of the game itself. They just graduated in May and want to get to a lot more games.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:49 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

The youth who embraced the Devils as children are old enough to buy tickets now + stick it to their ****** Rags/Flyer fan parents

Old
02-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

We're finally starting to see the era of people my age (21-27ish) starting to make some noise for the fanbase. It's a great time to be a Devils fan.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:07 PM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
The youth who embraced the Devils as children are old enough to buy tickets now + stick it to their ****** Rags/Flyer fan parents
Thats me! My college schedule is now light and I have enough money to become a season ticket holder for the second straight year. I love this generation of fans. It is a bright future.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
I think the deep playoff run has contributed to that. Those crowds were great in the playoffs, and some of that has carried over to this season, lockout be damned.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:17 PM
RHilla619

I totally agree that the arena has been alot more lively this year, regardless of sellout or not its been louder at games and ive been seeing alot more RED than blue or orange at those games. Also the pregame bars have been more alive too so theres some tradition starting to build it seems like finally.

Cowbell made a good point that this is usually the time of the year ticket sales spike up since football is over, but I feel like alot of the sellouts are due to hype. I mean the team made a stanley cup run last season and all of a sudden "fans" came out of the woods to jump on the bandwagon, which is why your seeing bigger crowds so far this year. Lets hope it continues.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:25 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Well, you see, folks, there's a storied building to the East of our poor hockey home that shines on in the memories of more squashed postseason hopes and failed reunion concerts than we could ever know.

In light of all the championship winning medicore history preserved between those walls, the world's most famous self-bloviating arena demanded an upgrade.

In an unfortunate turn of events, seats were taken away from the corporate sponsors and tourists devoted loyalists who call MSG their first (of five) home arenas.
There was simply not enough space for the city who held hockey so close it's heart.

Lucky for them, across the Hudson sat an arena full of empty seats willing to take them in. This new arena was to become their home. It's empty corridors were soon to be awash with a victorious sea of blue.

The Prudential Center would never see an empty seat again, so long as the blueshirts faithful were there to sell her out.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Zippy316

The one thing the Devils are being smart with, is they are practically giving away tickets for games they know won't sell.

The Thursday game against the Islanders, they were selling bottom seats for 30 bucks. It makes sense though, the games and seats you know aren't going to sell, get butts in those seats and you'll create a better atmosphere and make money from concessions, etc.

In the playoffs, the crowd was noticeably engaged. It's carried over well, and hopefully it keeps going.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

One of the loudest moments of the playoffs for a game I was at - 20 seconds after Patty ties it up, Kovy puts us ahead and the crowd lost it - can barely hear the goal horn

Old
02-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Nick0930

That's only because Rags fans pity us and fill the arena. Sea of blue brah.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:08 PM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Awash in a sea of Ranger blue.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:13 PM
hlaverty06

Section 233 and 121 (I think) start a lot of chants and help get the place going

Old
02-11-2013, 06:28 PM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

I wish I lived close enough to actually come to games.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
One of the loudest moments of the playoffs for a game I was at - 20 seconds after Patty ties it up, Kovy puts us ahead and the crowd lost it - can barely hear the goal horn

I love that goal if only for the goal horn running out of air haha.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:30 PM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post

By far the loudest moment at the rock only behind ECF gm 6. Also my personal favorite goal from the playoffs.

This was a very loud goal because this moment was the first time we all realized that this team was about to do something very special. It was amazing.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:31 PM
goalvalchuk17

if you turn on the islanders game right now, you'll see there's no reason to make fun of our fanbase. even if it's not a sellout which it has been for all but one game this season, we are loud. very quiet there. and empty.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Nick0930

The crowd was already in the middle of a ''Let's go Devils'' chant on that Kovy goal. Perfect timing to score and make the place erupt.

Closed Thread