HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs at the draft table

Old
06-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PockIsGoD
Neither of them will fetch us a 1st rounder. And as much as a like Giroux, we got a lot of depth in the scoring winger department.
But it's not that far IMO...we would have to add a 2nd or a 3rd rounder to get the second first rounder of Washington or St-Louis...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 05:40 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake
First impressions:

1- Good draft article, as always, if we ever end up with one of the guys on each round you've described, I'll be a really happy person.....My favorites based on your mock is :

16th- Berglund
47th (or 50th) - Ahnelov (Sneep not far behind)
78th - Weber (Montgomery not far...)
108th - Definately Nyholm (should not be there though when we pick, Carpentier and Hovinen become interesting)
138th - Richards (Matsumoto not far)
198th -Definately Dudas (but he should not be there, so Castonguay for me then)

2- So no Wishart and Williams for the 16th, I guess that we became tired of those names and I totally agree on the 4 names you mentioned. Might Persson or Alexandrov be other possible surprises for the 1st pick???

3- There's so many interesting goalies available that I hope, even though we're stacked, we pick at least 1 goalie (if not Hovinen or Richards, could definately be Palmer, Lazaruk or my choice for sleeper of the year Steve Mason)

4- As far as the ''french and québécois topic'' goes, well guys like Max Lacroix, Brad Marchand and Stefan Chaput (other possible sleeper) should get some consideration like Carpentier and Castonguay

5- Don't believe Dudas and Nyholm will be where you've scheduled them to be....unfortunately.

I always those kinds of articles though, great job!!!

I can't say I like what I saw from either Wishart or Williams although I only saw Williams play a shift or two. But this was just from the U-18's, so if we go in that direction fine by me.

Persson or Alexandrov would likely be considered, don't see why not.

Richards is the goalie I want the most, really like what I saw from him. Hovinen sounds interesting but I've never seen him play. I don't care if we pick a goalie or not, just as I don't care if we pick all defensemen or none. I have a lot of faith in scouting staff.

Lacroix I don't know too much about but in talking with someone that scouts the Q it sounded like he didn't have all that great a year. Chaput I like, I got to see a good bit of Lewiston this year and I like the energy he brings along with his linemate Gilliati (sp?). Castonguay imo might be a good final round pick, good hands and wheels. I would also keep an eye on Bisaillon, even though we could have signed him for free and didn't damn did he put up some points this year. But I don't recall seeing Val-D'Or this year. Not a guy I'd draft but maybe invite to camp just cause he's got size and was a high draft pick in the Q, Pier-Alex Poulin.

Dudas caught my eye at the U-17s 2 years ago, but I lost track of him this year. I have no clue where he will fall but I like the 2 way game he played, although it was only one game. Nyholm I could see going higher, would really like to get this guy if possible but I don't know what kind of offensive upside he really has, so it was hard to gauge where he will go.

Quote:
Dan had Keith Yandle as a 2nd round candidate last year and he went in round 4!
Marc, everyone gets lucky here and there! I can dig up another article where I wrote saying we should sign this kid out of the NCAA in Yann Danis but I think if most people saw him and the kind of season he was having, it didn't take a lot of thought.

Quote:
Summers sounds like another Dandenault and Fisher didn't played in a competetive league. Giroux would also be nice, but he's not really big...
Summers I only saw once and he played nothing like Dandenault. I have no clue if he will even go 1st round but I'd have no problem if we drafted him. Fisher didn't play in a competetive league but we could have had Chris Higgins in '01 say in the 9th round if we took him out of the USHS. It's a gamble for sure. Giroux is not big but he plays bigger then he is and works hard plus he's got good skills, so to me I can look past the size. No doubt he'll need to get stronger but I think who ever gets him is getting a solid prospect.

Quote:
Did you rank the picks in any particular order? As in Berglund > Summers > Giroux
Sort of. The first name under every pick is the guy I wanted the most, after that I didn't really have them in any order. I had a list of names and knocked guys down or off the list to try and best fit picks that I feel the Habs would be interested in and might be on board. Giroux I think he'll go first round, the one thing that would keep him out is the fact that sometimes Q players drop. I would say small players can drop too but in the new NHL, this is the first draft after teams got to see what the NHL had in mind. Now I think we will see more teams draft with that in mind. I think some teams drafted that way last year, but now I think most if not all will.

Quote:
I know, let's predict how many players from Montreal's list will be selected by the Habs
I could easily seen none getting picked, and none got picked last year. It's done more for fun. For me it gets me fired up for the draft, I spend a lot of time reading up and watching games, so now I'm really into the draft. Plus it's something for others to read to see one persons opinions on how the draft could look like. Trying to predict who the Habs will take with their 6 picks from 16th to 198th is impossible but fun to try. I did get Perezhogin, Higgins and Urquhart right in past mock drafts or draft pools, although I don't often admit to the Urquhart one. Last years article I did say that Latendresse could be guy we'd pick if we traded down.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 06:59 PM
turnbuckle*

Interesting topic- this draft is such a crapshoot after the top dozen or so, a Sneep could go high in the second round or even the first:

1st:
Sanguinetti
Summers
Berglund
Wishart

2nd:
Varlamov (I think he's going to be a great goalie)
Anisimov
Marchand
Kana
Vasyunov
McGinn (I think he'll drop because of skating issues)

3rd: See round two

I have no idea who will be drafted where in the second round let alone the third. Needless to say if the Habs leave the draft with three of the above listed players I'll be pleased

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 10:27 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Wellllll... depending on what you read, Bryan Little, James Sheppard, or Ty Wishart have "skating problems"... sooooo...
Exactly dont pick the pathetic slowpokes. The Habs need to stamp the team with speed speed speed

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Artie

I'd be pretty pleased with

Berglund
Sneep
Lapoint
Hovinen
Bartos
Noreau (has always been under-estimated)

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 12:01 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

No love for Clutterbuck? I must confess not having followed the junior players this year as much as in years past, so I can't really comment too much on players past the first round, but Cal Clutterbuck is a player I really like. I feel like he's a poor man's Alex Bourret. Not that big but pretty strong and a relentless forechecker, good hitter with an offensive upside. Seems like a great character player with enough hockey smarts to have a higher upside than checker.

Anybody else likes that guy with our 2nd pick? Something tells me Calgary would likely choose him with their 2nd if available, fortunatelly they'll be picking after us (that is if they don't use their 1st on him, which wouldn't even surprise me considering he's exactly the type of player Sutter loves).

As for our 1st, baring any big surprise fall, I like Vishnevsky. Defense can be learned through proper coaching, patience, and dedication, but you can't teach his offensive savvy, and with the prospect depth we have, we can afford to gamble on a high risk high reward guy like him.

After that, Berglund, Wishart and Sanguinetti are other candidates I like, and if we can move up this year, Sheppard and Brassard are very tempting choices.

And although I haven't seen him play, what I heard about Okposo intrigues me. Anybody has more on this guy?

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 12:02 PM
turnbuckle*

You keep making guesses and mocks of who the Habs are gonna pick you're bound to get a few right.

I predicted the Habs would take Milroy, but I had him going late in the first (the Perezhogin pick), not in the second. I also predicted the Habs would draft Komo, Chippy, and Sergei Kostitsyn, but I must admit that the AK selection in 2003 threw me for a loop; I was pretty certain it was going to be Getzlaf or Carter.

2002 was a crapshoot; I had no idea. Not having seen much of Higgins and going by his size, I wasn't expecting the Habs to draft another undersized center. Little did I know they'd switch him to wing - He's looking like a deserved top 12 pick now.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
No love for Clutterbuck? I must confess not having followed the junior players this year as much as in years past, so I can't really comment too much on players past the first round, but Cal Clutterbuck is a player I really like. I feel like he's a poor man's Alex Bourret. Not that big but pretty strong and a relentless forechecker, good hitter with an offensive upside. Seems like a great character player with enough hockey smarts to have a higher upside than checker.

Anybody else likes that guy with our 2nd pick?
Generally speaking, Clutterbuck is my kind of player. But that said, I would never dream of picking him #16, and then even in the 2nd round I sort of feel like we would get more mileage out of picking one of the many decent defensemen available. Clutterbuck's motor is always going and he's a fine energy line player, like a Todd Harvey in the NHL maybe, and while somebody may very well decide that they like him in the 2nd round, I'm not sure that his upside translates into the kind of player you would want to use up a 2nd round pick on. I'm not at all convinced that his upside is any more than a checker. In fact, it would shock me considerably if he ever turned out to be more. The Todd Harvey comparison works for me. Of course, I am inordinately fond of Todd Harvey too. But sensibly, you ought to be able to do more than that even with a 2nd rounder?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 12:53 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
The guys I want in the first, second round not in particular order.

1st round:

Vishnevsky
Berglund
Wishart
Sheppard (If he falls, no way we aren't picking him)
Frolik

2nd round:

Alexander Vasyunov (I'm very high on him, I think he has the skills...I hope he'll come to the CHL)

Artem Asinimov (He's a project but he's the whole package...could become the future big 2nd line center, we're looking for)

Trevor Lewis (Big, fast, skilled center a bit old...and 2,3 years away though)

Jamie Mcbain (Had strong u-18's and looks like a really good all around defenceman, I"m maybe crazy but I'd take him over Summers)

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 01:15 PM
JohnnyReb

Okay, I'll play...

1st round

Williams: Upside is too hard to ignore, and while his U18 wasn't great, neither was Wishart's, and Williams has much more potential.

Forney: Something about him screams 'sleeper!' to me. Don't know why.

Helnius: Just because it will make the internet so much more fun.

2nd round

Giroux: We may have to move up to the top of the 2nd round though.

Gryba: Intriguing package.

Summers: See Giroux, and the whole moving up thing.

Geoffrion: Can't ignore the genes, and the extra motivation he'll bring, playing for the Habs.

Clutterbuck: He's a Habs fan with Begin-like potential.

Joensuu: Wouldn't want him in the first round (too much Jani Rita potential, in my opinion) but a worthwhile gamble if he plummets.

3rd round

(do we have a 3rd round pick?)

Pepin: Could be a Hamilton monster, in a year or two.

Zharkov: Sleeper, worth the risk that the 2 year window will expire before he comes over.

Ruzicka: I doubt he'll fall this far, but you never know.

JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 01:16 PM
SOLR

1 Week away...wow bring it on.

I think it will be a D, hoping they make a big move for Sanguinetti, but Williams and Wyshart are ok too. We could very well see 3 D being drafted in the 3 first round, this would shield our D for years to come.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Generally speaking, Clutterbuck is my kind of player. But that said, I would never dream of picking him #16, and then even in the 2nd round I sort of feel like we would get more mileage out of picking one of the many decent defensemen available. Clutterbuck's motor is always going and he's a fine energy line player, like a Todd Harvey in the NHL maybe, and while somebody may very well decide that they like him in the 2nd round, I'm not sure that his upside translates into the kind of player you would want to use up a 2nd round pick on. I'm not at all convinced that his upside is any more than a checker. In fact, it would shock me considerably if he ever turned out to be more. The Todd Harvey comparison works for me. Of course, I am inordinately fond of Todd Harvey too. But sensibly, you ought to be able to do more than that even with a 2nd rounder?
Well you could use Lapierre as a comparison, which is a pick I liked right away (contrarily to the other 2nd pick that year which name shall remain unspoken for personal health reasons).

I don't have any issue picking a guy that projects as an elite checker at the NHL level, a heart and soul player, the warrior that gives this extra jump in a playoff run, as long as their skillset is above average. And somehow I saw more than your usual average banger in Clutterbuck.

But then again, my knowledge of this year's crop is very limited, Clutterbuck is just one name I like for the 2nd round. There might have been quite a few more had I followed the junior ranks more closely.

Old
06-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Form and Substance

YES MATSUMOTO! I would draft him in the 5th-6th round. His hockey sense is downright amazing. I think he'll surprise a lot of people.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Well you could use Lapierre as a comparison, which is a pick I liked right away (contrarily to the other 2nd pick that year which name shall remain unspoken for personal health reasons).

I don't have any issue picking a guy that projects as an elite checker at the NHL level, a heart and soul player, the warrior that gives this extra jump in a playoff run, as long as their skillset is above average. And somehow I saw more than your usual average banger in Clutterbuck.

But then again, my knowledge of this year's crop is very limited, Clutterbuck is just one name I like for the 2nd round. There might have been quite a few more had I followed the junior ranks more closely.
I think I've probably seen Clutterbuck more than 20 times in the past two years. Like I said, I do like him. But... I also think this is a draft where there are going to be quite a large number of players with much higher upside available in spots 20-100 in the draft. Comparing him to Lapierre, I would suggest that at 5'10" and a tad slower he's not at the same level as a prospect. Of course, maybe it's hard to go wrong taking him as a pretty "safe" energy line guy, but given our defensive situation and the extremely high likelihood that there are going to be some very solid looking defense prospects available in the 2nd round too... well... it's just not something that I think would make sense for us.

But this is a pretty cool draft, just because there are soooo many "interesting" players like Clutterbuck who are going to be there in rounds 2-4. Maybe it's just me following them more closely than in some years (although I typically follow pretty closely every year) but it really seems to me like there are a lot of guys with "identity" in the top-4 rounds this year. It's almost like it would be impossible not to walk out of those rounds with a player you like, because there seem to be so many likeable ones this year.

Old
06-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
I think I've probably seen Clutterbuck more than 20 times in the past two years. Like I said, I do like him. But... I also think this is a draft where there are going to be quite a large number of players with much higher upside available in spots 20-100 in the draft. Comparing him to Lapierre, I would suggest that at 5'10" and a tad slower he's not at the same level as a prospect. Of course, maybe it's hard to go wrong taking him as a pretty "safe" energy line guy, but given our defensive situation and the extremely high likelihood that there are going to be some very solid looking defense prospects available in the 2nd round too... well... it's just not something that I think would make sense for us.

But this is a pretty cool draft, just because there are soooo many "interesting" players like Clutterbuck who are going to be there in rounds 2-4. Maybe it's just me following them more closely than in some years (although I typically follow pretty closely every year) but it really seems to me like there are a lot of guys with "identity" in the top-4 rounds this year. It's almost like it would be impossible not to walk out of those rounds with a player you like, because there seem to be so many likeable ones this year.
You might be right, and I haven't seen Clutterbuck that many times either. There seems indeed to be a number of good, not great, but solid, dmen available, at least when looking at the first 2 rounds. If we find a couple, even with our 1st, I'll be happy. 3 out of 4 guys I like for our 1st pick are Dmen, so I'm thinking it might just be the year of the D for us.

Old
06-18-2006, 04:45 PM
FisherKing

Great article Dan. Interesting that you seem to be the only one other than myself who sees Fischer as a possible pick at #16. I've been on the Fischer bandwagon almost from the outset. Not my first choice, but I don't think it's a choice we'd regret.

Edit: While I don't think moving up far enough to get Brassard is very realistic, I wouldn't be against moving up a few spots to get Little which I think might at least be within the realm of possibility. A GM is more likely to be enticed to move from maybe 10 or 11 to 16 than from say 6 or 7 to 16. Dunno, but I think Little could be had, and if we can't get Brassard, I hope Bob lands Little, or tries anyway.

Last edited by FisherKing: 06-18-2006 at 04:51 PM.
FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2006, 05:19 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR
1 Week away...wow bring it on.

I think it will be a D, hoping they make a big move for Sanguinetti, but Williams and Wyshart are ok too. We could very well see 3 D being drafted in the 3 first round, this would shield our D for years to come.
Shepherd or Chris stewart seem to be big men who can skate. Stewart sounds like a monster with wheels

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2006, 09:03 PM
HABFAN28

Well...

Last year i wrote here that i hoped the hab would be lucky and get the first overall pick. I said that they'd take Crosby and Latendresse in the second round...

Everyone said that Latendresse would be taken in the first round. I may not have been lucky with the lottery but i was right for Latendresse.

I have to admit though that i would have never guessed they'd go for a WHL goalie like Carey Price. And i still think this is a weird pick!!!

Now for this year i think this will be different then last year because every players seems to bring about the same thing to the table.

My hopes are that the Habs trade up in this draft and get someone like Derrick Brassard, Peter Mueller or in my dreams Jordan Staal. Going at 16 i'd say that this year is a year where a lot of North american players will be taken with the first 15 picks.

My guest is that the habs will be looking at maybe a good defenseman (they're thin on defense) or right handed forward.

So here's my list of might be availables at 16 :
Bobby Sanguinetti D 12th american skaters
Kyle Okposo RW 11th North american skaters
Chris Stewart RW 8th american skaters
Tomas Kana C ranked 5 European skaters

My guess : Tomas Kana

He has better numbers then Frolik in the same league. He was good at the under 20 this year with 2 goal (Frolik 0!!!). If he is really right handed (in iihf.com he's liste as left handed and on the CSS list he's listed as right handed so...) he'd be a very good pick for them.

HABFAN28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Nanne

There are the players that are mentionned above :

Bryan Little
Chris Summers (3 times)
Michael Frolik (2 times)
Patrick Berglund (4 times)
James Shepperd
Ivan Vishnevsky (3 times)
Derrick Brassard
Jordan Staal
Bobby Sanguinetti (2 times)
Jonathan Bernier
Tomas Kana
Mark Mitera
Chris Stewart (2 times)
Giroux
Ty Wishart (2 times) HF prediction
Grabner
Phil Kessel
Jonathan Toews
Jack Jonhson
Cal Clutterbuck (2 times)

I'll go for Micheal Frolik (yes he will fall at 16)

Nanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Azalichio

Send a message via MSN to Azalichio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_9forever
I have a feeling that the habs will draft a big foward (maybe center) in the first round...and will draft d-men in the second round and/or third round...
I know ( from a friend ) that the habs are interested in a very big center. It won't be in the first ( and doubt in the second ) round though. At least, Savard was really interested in him early in the season, dunno now.

Azalichio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2006, 08:55 AM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
http://www.habprospects.com/modules....article&sid=13

It's a mock of sorts for each of our picks, with four names for each pick on guys I think the Habs would be interested in and guys I could see being on board when we pick. It was hard to do, I do it every year (here's last year's http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=825 ) notice the pic of Brule! Didn't have much luck last year oh well. This year it seems more wide open, could be an interesting draft, can't wait till next week. I wasn't all that in to this years draft and I'm usually a huge draft junkie but in the past month or so I've been watching games from this season and doing research, now I've got my usual case of draft fever, will be a long week but at least the Cup is still going and World Cup in the day!
Timmins reportedly wants BG to trade up in top 10...

If BG achieves, who would be your dream pick?

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream
Timmins reportedly wants BG to trade up in top 10...

If BG achieves, who would be your dream pick?
Dream1: Derrick Brassard... but I think you'll have to almost get to #5 to be sure of getting him. Maybe live on the floor on dday you find he is dropping to #7 or 8, but you couldn't count on that beforehand and have much confidence of getting him.

Dream2: Bryan Little... and if you did get a later top-10 pick, at least he'd almost surely be available. Somehow I don't imagine he's the guy Timmins is lusting after, though?

Well, those are my dreams. Now, will anybody in my FHL kindly trade me a top-10 pick?

Old
07-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Thanks, from a Flyer Fan

Just browsing on here and noticed some of your posters were very high on a number of the players the Flyers ended up taking, including Giroux, Nodl, Popov and Matsumoto. Thanks for the scouting reports and good luck to the Habs next year.

A Flyer Fan from Toronto.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 01:51 AM
Maithz

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Just browsing on here and noticed some of your posters were very high on a number of the players the Flyers ended up taking, including Giroux, Nodl, Popov and Matsumoto. Thanks for the scouting reports and good luck to the Habs next year.

A Flyer Fan from Toronto.
you're the complete enemy but good luck to flyers too and hope Giroux gonna be you're next Gagne !

Old
07-07-2006, 07:21 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS-65 View Post
you're the complete enemy but good luck to flyers too and hope Giroux gonna be you're next Gagne !
Cheers, and paws off Gagne. No offer sheets wanted.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote