HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Xbox One / PS4 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Eytinge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post
There's no way it will be always online, its clever marketing so people are happy when its not included.
Ha, that would be kinda clever . But it shouldn't be a plus that always-online isn't required.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
And goodbye Xbox for me. I refuse to buy a system that must be online to play. I don't even really buy used games but simply on principle, I will not purchase that machine.
Ditto.
If PS4 is the same, then I'll probably be buying my first gaming PC.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
02-06-2013, 06:01 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Count me as skeptical of that article.

MS might as well just say "we giveup" if there master strategy is to require always connected internet + selling on the new kinect...

Old
02-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
There is such a simple solution to the resale of games. For retailers who want to stem used game sales for their title, just offer part of the game for a heavily discounted price, and the secondary part as a download or add-on. A game like Call of Duty could be sold for $20. With the disc, you get the Singleplayer campaign. If you want to play Multiplayer, you buy a $30 multiplayer addon that is linked to your account. Similar to how DLC is now.

Also, right now, internet caps and bandwidth don't make full downloadable bluray discs feasible. Instead, have stations in game retailers which a customer would come in, and transfer a game onto their system using USB sticks or maybe a sort of removable hard drive. That game is linked to the account and can't be resold. Offer the digital copy at a bit of a discount. The developer only has to transfer the digital copy to the retailers instead of every consumer.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:44 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
There is such a simple solution to the resale of games. For retailers who want to stem used game sales for their title, just offer part of the game for a heavily discounted price, and the secondary part as a download or add-on. A game like Call of Duty could be sold for $20. With the disc, you get the Singleplayer campaign. If you want to play Multiplayer, you buy a $30 multiplayer addon that is linked to your account. Similar to how DLC is now.

Also, right now, internet caps and bandwidth don't make full downloadable bluray discs feasible. Instead, have stations in game retailers which a customer would come in, and transfer a game onto their system using USB sticks or maybe a sort of removable hard drive. That game is linked to the account and can't be resold. Offer the digital copy at a bit of a discount. The developer only has to transfer the digital copy to the retailers instead of every consumer.
There's no way retailers would do that:

1. Retailers make almost no money on new games as is
2. That process would take a huge amount of time, even with high transfer rate tech

Old
02-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

Whatever Sony announces I'm sure Microsoft will adjust their strategy to match Sony's

Old
02-07-2013, 06:39 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Whatever Sony announces I'm sure Microsoft will adjust their strategy to match Sony's
Yup. Just like Sony have been rumored to go with 8 gig of Ram as well to counter Microsoft. Thou personally I can't even remember the last time I played offline but the always lingering potential of the your connection going down is not something that would be very helpful if the always online thing is true. If the 3rd party devs are the ones pushing for the no used games policy (which has been talked of for long time), could it be that only games by certain publishers will have such a function?

Old
02-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Yup. Just like Sony have been rumored to go with 8 gig of Ram as well to counter Microsoft. Thou personally I can't even remember the last time I played offline but the always lingering potential of the your connection going down is not something that would be very helpful if the always online thing is true. If the 3rd party devs are the ones pushing for the no used games policy (which has been talked of for long time), could it be that only games by certain publishers will have such a function?
Sony is going with 4 gigs of DDR5 ram, not 8 gigs. There is no source that states that Sony is going with 8, and they'd be insane to, because their 4 gigs is much faster than Microsofts 8 (and oodles more expensive). What Sony did was move from 2 gigs to 4, which causes them to surpass Microsofts ram capabilities.

Microsoft had 8 gigs of DDR3 , with 3 gigs reserved for the OS. Sony has 4 gigs of DDR5 with .5 reserved for the OS. What the articles are talking about is that originally it was 1.5 gigs DDR5 vs. 5 gigs of DDR3, which is actually a close comparison that Microsoft ultimately wins due to the sheer size of ram difference. Sony got feedback that 1.5 wasn't enough to remain competitive, so they upped it to the 3.5, which crushes Microsofts 5 any day of the week.

The situation really is not all that comparable and Sony would be insane to go up to 8 gigs of DDR5 because it would majorly inflate the cost of the system, even if they get a great deal on ram. They are more powerful at the moment anyways, 8 really offers no benefit.

Microsoft and Sony are going to get targeting different markets this gen I think, with Sony going for power and Microsoft going for services like Xbox live. We are reaching a point where it is too late to change the system hardware without major reprecussions and having the console ship on time.

They'll compete on software, but hardware is pretty much locked in at this point except for more menial things, like hard drive sizes.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Heisenberg77

So...if my internet goes down, I'm now incapable of playing any of the games I spent $X on? If this isn't the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard I don't know what is. It's a fundamental issue that many people will not look past. (Not to mention no used games)

Ya, boycott city. No thanks "Next Gen". You'll have a major battle with your consumers very soon.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Sony is going with 4 gigs of DDR5 ram, not 8 gigs. There is no source that states that Sony is going with 8, and they'd be insane to, because their 4 gigs is much faster than Microsofts 8 (and oodles more expensive). What Sony did was move from 2 gigs to 4, which causes them to surpass Microsofts ram capabilities.
Edge magazine reported that Sony are planning to up it to 8 gigs.

Quote:
We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB

Old
02-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/7/395...tion-like-siri

Comment from Neogaf:

Quote:
Well, now we know why it requires always-on internet connection. Natural language recognition = cloud processing.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Edge magazine reported that Sony are planning to up it to 8 gigs.
Yea, that's not what it says. Read the wording carefully, they do not necessarily mean 8 gigs for 8 gigs, because that would not be matching. Sony would have almost 4x the ram at that point. 4 gigs IS matching Microsofts 8.

Either the article is utilizing a poor choice of words, or the meaning is way too ambiguous to cover their ass, because nothing there implies that Sony has gone up to 8 gigs for the PS4.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkfan77 View Post
So...if my internet goes down, I'm now incapable of playing any of the games I spent $X on? If this isn't the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard I don't know what is. It's a fundamental issue that many people will not look past. (Not to mention no used games)

Ya, boycott city. No thanks "Next Gen". You'll have a major battle with your consumers very soon.
Yep, I'll stick with my Ps3 and 360 and buy all the AAA top games when they all drop to $20.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

Xbox 720 to Reportedly Feature Siri-Like Voice Control
New console to feature intelligent voice detection.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:17 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

**** **** ******* *****............<xbox responds> Difficulty adjusted

Old
02-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

^ Hahaha

Old
02-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Puck
Ninja

I'll wait to see how restrictive and annoying the new DRM rules are, and what the EULAs say. I know the courts have been consistent in allowing resale and trade of games or DVDs (first sale), no matter how much content providers state that you are only renting the content. Although this is being diluted over time by sneaky intellectual property shenanigans. At first MS and Sony will prolly need a system to allow you to de-list the game from the server so you can resell it. There should probably be a way of playing offline for a limited amount of time or share your games with your kid brother if he has his own console (maybe).

Both MS and Sony would prolly like to expand their own stores to sell you games, I don't know if they can do this exclusively by law. They'd better offer more storage if they want to sell us more e-stuff. They also would prefer that you be connected to push firmware upgrades. The major game developers are probably pushing the console makers towards always online, so the rules will probably be the same on Sony or MS consoles (for popularity reasons, one won't accept more regulation than the other). PC gamers are already accepting their share of DRM, Steam rules, or more restrictive DRM on physical media, console gamers will too after a period of adjustment (this seems to be a major jump). I just hope they don't accept too much, otherwise the game developers will push for more (one inch at a time) on any platform.

Last edited by Puck: 02-07-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 09:57 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Damnit MS stop with the gimmicks... you're not Nintendo...

Old
02-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

vCash: 133
Quote:
With the PlayStation 4 highly expected to make its debut to the public in a matter of days, news comparing the Xbox 720 and PS4 continues to flow out of various outlets.

According to a report from Eurogamer on Saturday, the PlayStation 4 is looking like it will double what the Xbox 720 produces.

In the way of rendering outputs, the PlayStation 4 is allegedly going to be capable of 32 output units, versus the 16 render output units the Xbox 720 is looking like it will produce.

What does this mean?

It means the PlayStation 4 can display stereoscopic 3D at the resolution of 1080p, in addition to that whole 4K resolution that continues to pop-up.

Meanwhile, the Xbox 720 will only be able to display up to 1080p resolution, as it will fall short of 4K resolution capability.
http://www.examiner.com/article/play...s-the-xbox-720

Great news for Sony if all this is true.

02-11-2013, 06:42 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Damnit MS stop with the gimmicks... you're not Nintendo...
lol wife walks into the room...

"I'd wish you'd shut that damn X-box off."

Powers down.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
lol wife walks into the room...

"I'd wish you'd shut that damn X-box off."

Powers down.
Might need to have the xbox just recognize your voice.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Because Kinect has been so amazing so far, people need it forced upon them. The game swapping sounds worthwhile though.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:56 AM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
That actually doesn't sound too bad.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:10 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Ugh Kinect certainly should not be mandatory...

Closed Thread