HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Xbox One / PS4 Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2013, 05:20 PM
  #76
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post
There's no way it will be always online, its clever marketing so people are happy when its not included.
Ha, that would be kinda clever . But it shouldn't be a plus that always-online isn't required.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 05:25 PM
  #77
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Potato
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,973
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
And goodbye Xbox for me. I refuse to buy a system that must be online to play. I don't even really buy used games but simply on principle, I will not purchase that machine.
Ditto.
If PS4 is the same, then I'll probably be buying my first gaming PC.

__________________

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 06:01 PM
  #78
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,607
vCash: 500
Count me as skeptical of that article.

MS might as well just say "we giveup" if there master strategy is to require always connected internet + selling on the new kinect...

LickTheEnvelope is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 07:33 PM
  #79
Timmer44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Van City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,191
vCash: 400
There is such a simple solution to the resale of games. For retailers who want to stem used game sales for their title, just offer part of the game for a heavily discounted price, and the secondary part as a download or add-on. A game like Call of Duty could be sold for $20. With the disc, you get the Singleplayer campaign. If you want to play Multiplayer, you buy a $30 multiplayer addon that is linked to your account. Similar to how DLC is now.

Also, right now, internet caps and bandwidth don't make full downloadable bluray discs feasible. Instead, have stations in game retailers which a customer would come in, and transfer a game onto their system using USB sticks or maybe a sort of removable hard drive. That game is linked to the account and can't be resold. Offer the digital copy at a bit of a discount. The developer only has to transfer the digital copy to the retailers instead of every consumer.

Timmer44 is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:44 PM
  #80
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
There is such a simple solution to the resale of games. For retailers who want to stem used game sales for their title, just offer part of the game for a heavily discounted price, and the secondary part as a download or add-on. A game like Call of Duty could be sold for $20. With the disc, you get the Singleplayer campaign. If you want to play Multiplayer, you buy a $30 multiplayer addon that is linked to your account. Similar to how DLC is now.

Also, right now, internet caps and bandwidth don't make full downloadable bluray discs feasible. Instead, have stations in game retailers which a customer would come in, and transfer a game onto their system using USB sticks or maybe a sort of removable hard drive. That game is linked to the account and can't be resold. Offer the digital copy at a bit of a discount. The developer only has to transfer the digital copy to the retailers instead of every consumer.
There's no way retailers would do that:

1. Retailers make almost no money on new games as is
2. That process would take a huge amount of time, even with high transfer rate tech

LickTheEnvelope is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 10:38 PM
  #81
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin
 
Lost Horizons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Everywhere
Country: United States
Posts: 7,896
vCash: 500
Whatever Sony announces I'm sure Microsoft will adjust their strategy to match Sony's

Lost Horizons is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 06:39 AM
  #82
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 41,759
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Whatever Sony announces I'm sure Microsoft will adjust their strategy to match Sony's
Yup. Just like Sony have been rumored to go with 8 gig of Ram as well to counter Microsoft. Thou personally I can't even remember the last time I played offline but the always lingering potential of the your connection going down is not something that would be very helpful if the always online thing is true. If the 3rd party devs are the ones pushing for the no used games policy (which has been talked of for long time), could it be that only games by certain publishers will have such a function?

Jussi is online now  
Old
02-07-2013, 08:44 AM
  #83
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Yup. Just like Sony have been rumored to go with 8 gig of Ram as well to counter Microsoft. Thou personally I can't even remember the last time I played offline but the always lingering potential of the your connection going down is not something that would be very helpful if the always online thing is true. If the 3rd party devs are the ones pushing for the no used games policy (which has been talked of for long time), could it be that only games by certain publishers will have such a function?
Sony is going with 4 gigs of DDR5 ram, not 8 gigs. There is no source that states that Sony is going with 8, and they'd be insane to, because their 4 gigs is much faster than Microsofts 8 (and oodles more expensive). What Sony did was move from 2 gigs to 4, which causes them to surpass Microsofts ram capabilities.

Microsoft had 8 gigs of DDR3 , with 3 gigs reserved for the OS. Sony has 4 gigs of DDR5 with .5 reserved for the OS. What the articles are talking about is that originally it was 1.5 gigs DDR5 vs. 5 gigs of DDR3, which is actually a close comparison that Microsoft ultimately wins due to the sheer size of ram difference. Sony got feedback that 1.5 wasn't enough to remain competitive, so they upped it to the 3.5, which crushes Microsofts 5 any day of the week.

The situation really is not all that comparable and Sony would be insane to go up to 8 gigs of DDR5 because it would majorly inflate the cost of the system, even if they get a great deal on ram. They are more powerful at the moment anyways, 8 really offers no benefit.

Microsoft and Sony are going to get targeting different markets this gen I think, with Sony going for power and Microsoft going for services like Xbox live. We are reaching a point where it is too late to change the system hardware without major reprecussions and having the console ship on time.

They'll compete on software, but hardware is pretty much locked in at this point except for more menial things, like hard drive sizes.

Orpheus is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 10:59 AM
  #84
Heisenberg77
Registered User
 
Heisenberg77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,042
vCash: 500
So...if my internet goes down, I'm now incapable of playing any of the games I spent $X on? If this isn't the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard I don't know what is. It's a fundamental issue that many people will not look past. (Not to mention no used games)

Ya, boycott city. No thanks "Next Gen". You'll have a major battle with your consumers very soon.

Heisenberg77 is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 11:49 AM
  #85
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 41,759
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Sony is going with 4 gigs of DDR5 ram, not 8 gigs. There is no source that states that Sony is going with 8, and they'd be insane to, because their 4 gigs is much faster than Microsofts 8 (and oodles more expensive). What Sony did was move from 2 gigs to 4, which causes them to surpass Microsofts ram capabilities.
Edge magazine reported that Sony are planning to up it to 8 gigs.

Quote:
We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB

Jussi is online now  
Old
02-07-2013, 11:56 AM
  #86
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 41,759
vCash: 612
http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/7/395...tion-like-siri

Comment from Neogaf:

Quote:
Well, now we know why it requires always-on internet connection. Natural language recognition = cloud processing.

Jussi is online now  
Old
02-07-2013, 11:58 AM
  #87
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Edge magazine reported that Sony are planning to up it to 8 gigs.
Yea, that's not what it says. Read the wording carefully, they do not necessarily mean 8 gigs for 8 gigs, because that would not be matching. Sony would have almost 4x the ram at that point. 4 gigs IS matching Microsofts 8.

Either the article is utilizing a poor choice of words, or the meaning is way too ambiguous to cover their ass, because nothing there implies that Sony has gone up to 8 gigs for the PS4.

Orpheus is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:04 PM
  #88
Layne Staley
The Future
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkfan77 View Post
So...if my internet goes down, I'm now incapable of playing any of the games I spent $X on? If this isn't the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard I don't know what is. It's a fundamental issue that many people will not look past. (Not to mention no used games)

Ya, boycott city. No thanks "Next Gen". You'll have a major battle with your consumers very soon.
Yep, I'll stick with my Ps3 and 360 and buy all the AAA top games when they all drop to $20.

Layne Staley is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 02:13 PM
  #89
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin
 
Lost Horizons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Everywhere
Country: United States
Posts: 7,896
vCash: 500
Xbox 720 to Reportedly Feature Siri-Like Voice Control
New console to feature intelligent voice detection.

Lost Horizons is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 02:17 PM
  #90
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 14,409
vCash: 500
**** **** ******* *****............<xbox responds> Difficulty adjusted

SniperHF is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 04:18 PM
  #91
Emerica
Thank You Alfie
 
Emerica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 500
^ Hahaha

Emerica is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 05:03 PM
  #92
Puck
Ninja
 
Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Tahiti
Posts: 8,490
vCash: 500
I'll wait to see how restrictive and annoying the new DRM rules are, and what the EULAs say. I know the courts have been consistent in allowing resale and trade of games or DVDs (first sale), no matter how much content providers state that you are only renting the content. Although this is being diluted over time by sneaky intellectual property shenanigans. At first MS and Sony will prolly need a system to allow you to de-list the game from the server so you can resell it. There should probably be a way of playing offline for a limited amount of time or share your games with your kid brother if he has his own console (maybe).

Both MS and Sony would prolly like to expand their own stores to sell you games, I don't know if they can do this exclusively by law. They'd better offer more storage if they want to sell us more e-stuff. They also would prefer that you be connected to push firmware upgrades. The major game developers are probably pushing the console makers towards always online, so the rules will probably be the same on Sony or MS consoles (for popularity reasons, one won't accept more regulation than the other). PC gamers are already accepting their share of DRM, Steam rules, or more restrictive DRM on physical media, console gamers will too after a period of adjustment (this seems to be a major jump). I just hope they don't accept too much, otherwise the game developers will push for more (one inch at a time) on any platform.


Last edited by Puck: 02-07-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Puck is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 09:57 PM
  #93
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,607
vCash: 500
Damnit MS stop with the gimmicks... you're not Nintendo...

LickTheEnvelope is online now  
Old
02-11-2013, 06:31 PM
  #94
Dean Ambrose
Moderator
Just a little crazy
 
Dean Ambrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,339
vCash: 133
Quote:
With the PlayStation 4 highly expected to make its debut to the public in a matter of days, news comparing the Xbox 720 and PS4 continues to flow out of various outlets.

According to a report from Eurogamer on Saturday, the PlayStation 4 is looking like it will double what the Xbox 720 produces.

In the way of rendering outputs, the PlayStation 4 is allegedly going to be capable of 32 output units, versus the 16 render output units the Xbox 720 is looking like it will produce.

What does this mean?

It means the PlayStation 4 can display stereoscopic 3D at the resolution of 1080p, in addition to that whole 4K resolution that continues to pop-up.

Meanwhile, the Xbox 720 will only be able to display up to 1080p resolution, as it will fall short of 4K resolution capability.
http://www.examiner.com/article/play...s-the-xbox-720

Great news for Sony if all this is true.

__________________
Dean Ambrose is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 06:42 PM
  #95
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Damnit MS stop with the gimmicks... you're not Nintendo...
lol wife walks into the room...

"I'd wish you'd shut that damn X-box off."

Powers down.

One Man Rock Band is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 07:19 PM
  #96
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
lol wife walks into the room...

"I'd wish you'd shut that damn X-box off."

Powers down.
Might need to have the xbox just recognize your voice.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:09 AM
  #98
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country
 
Oscar Acosta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,795
vCash: 738
Because Kinect has been so amazing so far, people need it forced upon them. The game swapping sounds worthwhile though.

Oscar Acosta is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:56 AM
  #99
18Hossa
Registered User
 
18Hossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,878
vCash: 232
That actually doesn't sound too bad.

18Hossa is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:10 PM
  #100
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,607
vCash: 500
Ugh Kinect certainly should not be mandatory...

LickTheEnvelope is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.