HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2/9/13 7PM Florida Cats Vs. Washington Pus...hovers.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:25 PM
BTCG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
I agree with this, but also feel this team lacks..........a true sack. What I mean by that is this team doesn't have a lot of balls. No one clears the crease when it needs doing, or sticks up for a goalie when he gets run. Just a lot of turn the other cheak.

Not looking for Hendricks to get his ass beat over and over, but a couple more scrums around the nets with a face wash or two thrown in would be nice to see.
I think there's merit to your point, and I don't think you mean throwing Hendricks out to sacrifice his jaw.

More grit, and more of the defenceive system, would seem to make sense.

Last edited by BTCG: 02-11-2013 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling and the Bridgestone blonde
BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:40 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
This notion that the team, which in the weeks preceeding BB's firing played to roughly the same winning percentage it did at times during Hunter's reign, was somehow uncontrollably spiraling toward an inevitable last place finish is one of the most mind-boggling.

It wasn't the worst run in BB's tenure, let alone was it assured that the team would have somehow finished last. They were STILL IN PLAYOFF SEEDING at their worst point.

There was nothing miraculous about Hunter's time here.

This team's problem, at it's core, is an identity problem, and it's because the GM doesn't know what kind of team he wants. Without that, you can't hire a coach and acquire players to fit that identity.

Everything else is a symptom of that.
MW,

The team may not have been at their very worst statistically, but it was commonly believed that Bruce had 'lost the room' so to speak.

Could they have still made the playoffs? Sure. I'm wagering we can make them this year, too. But as Halpysback notes: 'are you sure enough of this teams ability to bet on them winning the Cup'?

I'd add to that: even if you were given odds, I doubt many would bet.

NOW: I think that in some ways, you and Strung have been validated. I'd expand on this, but I don't want to anger the moderator.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:48 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

People were claiming he'd lost the room, at various volumes, since the Olympic break two years prior to him being fired.

If your point was "Well they wouldn't have won the cup" I'd counter that they aren't closer now.

If they'd fired McPhee, the team could have rallied around a new vision. They certainly trusted Bruce to coach them there, of the key guys there's no question.

As for now, it's the same issue two coaches later. They still need to fire GMGM to have a direction. So long as 8 is on the team taking up this much salary, any direction needs to start with getting the most out of him, and you build around that. BB did that more than anyone else.

If you don't want that direction, no problem. Fire BB, trade 8, and I'm on board. It's this half-measures ******** which has us spinning tires.

02-11-2013, 08:12 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
People were claiming he'd lost the room, at various volumes, since the Olympic break two years prior to him being fired.

If your point was "Well they wouldn't have won the cup" I'd counter that they aren't closer now.

If they'd fired McPhee, the team could have rallied around a new vision. They certainly trusted Bruce to coach them there, of the key guys there's no question.

As for now, it's the same issue two coaches later. They still need to fire GMGM to have a direction. So long as 8 is on the team taking up this much salary, any direction needs to start with getting the most out of him, and you build around that. BB did that more than anyone else.

If you don't want that direction, no problem. Fire BB, trade 8, and I'm on board. It's this half-measures ******** which has us spinning tires.
McPhee escaped the noose, and it should have been him instead of BB.

In that, I think you & Strung have been validated.

Dale got em close... but conversely, BB may have been able to, as well.

Fair enough?