HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 3: The one where the Oilers win every trade

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
3 former Oilers in the top 15 for goals scored from defensemen. Depressing haha
Are you like Don Cherry and unable to remember why Brewer is no longer an Oiler?

Old
02-11-2013, 04:08 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
He's constantly following his defense partner behind our net...it's driving me nuts. I thought maybe it was just miscommunication with Smid but he did it with Fistric as well yesterday.
Maybe he's taking advice from Corey "Lets clear the puck by shooting it along the boards, behind our net" Potter?

It's more than that though-it's his inability to make a play up ice. It's like his brain locks up and when 3 opposing players converge on to him, he doesn't know if its best to just dump or continue going-in the end, he just gets the puck taken away.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:15 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
You need people who can identify talent that others don't see. I don't think we have such characters in our management team.
This. To be honest, I still don't understand why the Oilers don't spend more resources scouting SEL/KHL and poach from there. Hell, just look at the their stats webpage and pick and try to poach is better than twiddling thumbs.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:16 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
This. To be honest, I still don't understand why the Oilers don't spend more resources scouting SEL/KHL and poach from there. Hell, just look at the their stats webpage and pick and try to poach is better than twiddling thumbs.
We need whoever the Leafs had when they picked up Jonas Gustavsson.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:17 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Which I absolutely agree with, but throwing them to the wolves isn't the best way to develop them. As seen by Gagner.

Surrounding them with quality veterans is the right way to go. I'm not talking 30-31-32 year old players, but 26-27 year olds who have established games who add something to the squad that the kids don't. Rounding out our team.

I don't think(hope) anyone is asking for a panic trade, but getting the right complimentary players should definitely be in the cards.
Another center to take the pressure off everyone would be nice. Hard to play a puck possession style when you are constantly chasing.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:22 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
We need whoever the Leafs had when they picked up Jonas Gustavsson.
JG had a 1.96, 0.932 stat line before going to the Leafs.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:23 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Then we would've ended up with another short non-physical forward.

In all honesty, I think we do look to those leagues. We've tried on all the goalies that come from there. Thought we were on Brunnstrom, we did get Petrell, Tulupov and Tyrvainen.

Other issue has been contract numbers. Can only take a risk on so many guys at a time. Have to remember we also went the route of going after college guys such as Fedun, Tremblay, House and probably others I have forgot about.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:24 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
I'm glad you aren't coach then because he definitely IS NOT doing fine. He's lost and confused most of the time on the ice.
sophmore year
we need to realize that they are still developing and learning

Old
02-11-2013, 04:25 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
JG had a 1.96, 0.932 stat line before going to the Leafs.
Oh I know he was highly touted before going there. I'm just saying that just because you're good in other leagues doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be good in the NHL.

That Cervenka guy that was so highly sought after is 1-1-2 in 6 games with the Flames...

Old
02-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Paralyzer008

I like what another poster proposed about Clarke MacArthur. He could be an interesting option to shore up the LW depth. From Lloydminster, so it would be close to home perhaps.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I like what another poster proposed about Clarke MacArthur. He could be an interesting option to shore up the LW depth. From Lloydminster, so it would be close to home perhaps.
He's average at everything, so he's not a bad option. Can score around the crease and pretty good at puck protection.

I'm just not sure if he brings enough grit and ability to protect the puck to make a difference. He's not a bad option at all though. One to consider.

02-11-2013, 04:40 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
You need people who can identify talent that others don't see. I don't think we have such characters in our management team.
Oh, I agree.

From what I can tell, this is a list of things Tambellini looks for in aquiring a player from another team or in free agency:

1. Is he a former 1st round pick?

/list

02-11-2013, 04:50 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Oh I know he was highly touted before going there. I'm just saying that just because you're good in other leagues doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be good in the NHL.

That Cervenka guy that was so highly sought after is 1-1-2 in 6 games with the Flames...
I know. But my point is maybe its also worthwhile for the Oilers to put more resources there.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Meanashell11

I posted something similar in the "I hate ST" thread.

We lucked out getting Yaks, JS and having DD look like he is able to handling the goal. This has sped up the rebuild from a 5 year plan to a 4 year plan. We have one very large hole to fill and that is a true #1 d-man who can eat minutes and play with JS. We need to get aggressive. Picks and prospects are nice but getting to the next level comes at a price. What is 2013+2014+Klefbom worth. Does that get us in a conversation for M Staal? OEL? Shattenkirk? If it does we should have that conversation. I think Klefbom can be the equal of these others but that is a couple years from now. We need to speed things up.

thoughts?

Old
02-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post

We lucked out getting Yaks, JS and having DD look like he is able to handling the goal. This has sped up the rebuild from a 5 year plan to a 4 year plan. We have one very large hole to fill and that is a true #1 d-man who can eat minutes and play with JS. We need to get aggressive. Picks and prospects are nice but getting to the next level comes at a price. What is 2013+2014+Klefbom worth. Does that get us in a conversation for M Staal? OEL? Shattenkirk? If it does we should have that conversation. I think Klefbom can be the equal of these others but that is a couple years from now. We need to speed things up.

thoughts?
Teams really don't enjoy moving their big stars, no matter what the value they get back is. You have to wait for the right opportunity or face drafting and developing your own.

My bet is Edmonton is trying to trade Whitney right now (thumbs up to a previous poster who I doubted about three weeks ago on that btw) and that's about it. Trade Whitney, sign Brett Clark to a deal and rotate Fistric/Peckham/Clark

Old
02-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Meanashell11

I am talking about being aggressive. I know they dont like moving their stars, neither do we but that package has got to get some attention.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
I am talking about being aggressive. I know they dont like moving their stars, neither do we but that package has got to get some attention.
Likely not. Who do you want really?
MTL not moving Subban right now
NYI not moving Hamonic
NYR likely not moving MDZ or Staal and Staal wouldn't be here long-term (see Carolina)
PHX not moving OEL (maybe Yandle but asking price looks big)
STL not moving Shattenkirk

Usually you have to get your guy by A) Contract dispute B) Expiring contract C) Trade Request D) Team actually puts a guy on the trade block

Old
02-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Meanashell11

Quote:
Likely not. Who do you want really?
MTL not moving Subban right now
NYI not moving Hamonic
NYR likely not moving MDZ or Staal and Staal wouldn't be here long-term (see Carolina)
PHX not moving OEL (maybe Yandle but asking price looks big)
STL not moving Shattenkirk

Usually you have to get your guy by A) Contract dispute B) Expiring contract C) Trade Request D) Team actually puts a guy on the trade block

Apparently Yandle is on the block. Not my first choice but not bad either.

http://http://www.thefourthperiod.co...car130210.html

Last edited by Meanashell11: 02-11-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old
02-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Ice Whole

Quote:
At this point, he would be our best or second best defencemen and would help our transition game a lot. Plus he is good defensively, IMO he is a number 2 defencemen and that's exactly what we need. Especially with Petry not playing well, I think a Yandle - Smid pairing would be great. Both are left handed but Lubo - Smid was a great pairing for us when Visnovsky was here.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:

http://http://www.thefourthperiod.co...car130210.html
He's been on/off the trading block for 3 years now.

There is a reason why a talent starved organization has been putting feelers out for offers on him - he's an overrated player who got paid too much after a career year, and is expendable.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Paralyzer008

Honestly I think Edmonton would be stupid not to wait for the UFA market to sign Mark Streit. First you have the Krueger/Streit dynamic, second he's a veteran that could help offensively.

Schultz-Schultz
Smid-Petry
Streit-Fistric/Klefbom

I also wonder what we could get in return for Whitney. The shortage on D around the league suggests to me we could get a player, but I'm wondering who could help us

Old
02-11-2013, 06:53 PM
MIL OIL

Quote:
Honestly I think Edmonton would be stupid not to wait for the UFA market to sign Mark Streit. First you have the Krueger/Streit dynamic, second he's a veteran that could help offensively.

Schultz-Schultz
Smid-Petry
Streit-Fistric/Klefbom

I also wonder what we could get in return for Whitney. The shortage on D around the league suggests to me we could get a player, but I'm wondering who could help us
NYI:
Mark Streit
EDM:
Ryan Whitney

I wouldnt mind this trade at all. But I think the NYI fans would.

Last edited by misfit: 02-11-2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: quote formatting
Old
02-11-2013, 07:09 PM
belair

Quote:

thoughts?
I agree.

But if we're looking for a #1, why don't we look at one that might actually be available. One that isn't currently on a Stanley Cup favourite or one that isn't already seen as a team's future franchise defenseman.

What would it take to bring in Brian Campbell? Or Keith Yandle? Or maybe bring up the Jay Bouwmeester debate again.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Joey Moss
Proud to select...

vCash: 226
I was also thinking of a Whitney for Streit swap. If NYI knows they won't be able to keep Streit they should deal him. Maybe we add.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
If Chris Stewart's consistency issues continue with the Blues, and they make him available(he's an RFA), would you be interested?

I was reading their "Is Chris Stewart back" thread and they went from saying he looks better to putting out an APB on Stewart.

With the Avs he did alot of what we could use now and a few on that board are speculating it could be getting used to Hitchcock's new system.

So would you be interested? I doubt he comes cheap and it won't be picks and prospects mainly going to the Blues?

Closed Thread