HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Potter, Crabb and Guenin

Old
06-25-2006, 05:03 PM
Fish

vCash: 500
Potter, Crabb and Guenin

Read in the latest Blueshirt Bulletin that the Rangers were at contract impasses with all three. Just wondering a) whether anyone had heard anything about them, and b) what the actual date was that they had/have to be signed by.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 05:19 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

August 15th is the deadline

Quote:
Formerly, a drafted college player was that team's property unless he was willing to take the extreme measure of sitting out a year of postcollegiate hockey. Now, teams have until just Aug. 15 of the year in which a player completes his eligibility to get him under contract before he becomes an unrestricted free agent
http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/uw...=85628&ntpid=0

I read on a MSU hockey message in April Corey Potter was set to join Hartford on an ATO and sign an ELC but he didn't like the $$$ offered by the Rangers

Joey Crabb.From May 5

Quote:
Former Colorado College right wing Joey Crabb said negotiations between his adviser and the New York Rangers are "at a standstill," and Crabb might not sign with the NHL team."They put an offer on the table, and we haven't settled on it. I don't know if it will happen or not," Crabb said. "I'll just have to wait and see. Right now, I'm not sure what their plans are."
http://cc.gazette.com/fullstory.php?id=6554

Last edited by RangerBoy: 06-25-2006 at 05:29 PM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Considering Dubinsky signed for half a million, these kids must be expecting a little too much.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 05:25 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

According to Blueshirt Bulletin, Potter will be in the Rangers Prospect Development camp starting tomorrow.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 05:33 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

All 3 need to be signed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Read in the latest Blueshirt Bulletin that the Rangers were at contract impasses with all three. Just wondering a) whether anyone had heard anything about them, and b) what the actual date was that they had/have to be signed by.
Foolish to screw around with these players. Potter & Guenin are both good prospects.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Fish

Thanks Rangerboy, I did think the deadline was later in the year, but BB had it listed as June 15th. I agree on particularly letting Potter go...I'm in two minds on Guenin but I guess would like to see him signed (I've always thought he was a better prospect than Taylor), less concerned about Crabb.

Old
06-25-2006, 05:39 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
Foolish to screw around with these players. Potter & Guenin are both good prospects.
There is just a difference of opinion on their worth.As with most deadlines,serious talks don't begin until the last few days

The Rangers gave Brandon Dubinsky $475,000 NHL(which is $25,000 above the NHL minimum)/$60,000 AHL with a $500,000 signing bonus.Brandon is better prospect than Crabb,Potter and Guenin.They shouldn't get more than Dubinsky received

Old
06-25-2006, 05:45 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
There is just a difference of opinion on their worth.As with most deadlines,serious talks don't begin until the last few days

The Rangers gave Brandon Dubinsky $475,000 NHL(which is $25,000 above the NHL minimum)/$60,000 AHL with a $500,000 signing bonus.Brandon is better prospect than Crabb,Potter and Guenin.They shouldn't get more than Dubinsky received
Dubi has been a favorite and I really enjoyed his AHL playoff performance. I agree that those 3 need fall in behind a player of Dubi's caliber.

Old
06-25-2006, 06:07 PM
The Assailant*

If I were them I would wait for August 16th and sign somewhere where I would get a good chance to progress and make NHL. With the Rangers they will likely be in ECHL.

The Assailant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 06:44 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I think Potter is AHL material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Assailant
If I were them I would wait for August 16th and sign somewhere where I would get a good chance to progress and make NHL. With the Rangers they will likely be in ECHL.
and by all rights should make the Pack.
Guenin also stands a very good chance of making the Pack. Puriton won't be back and I doubt some other vets will be brought back.

Old
06-25-2006, 06:46 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Joey Crabb will be in the NHL within the next 2 years.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
Joey Crabb will be in the NHL within the next 2 years.
Yep, he's the only one I would mind losing.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 09:11 PM
The Assailant*

I rather sign Paiement than those 3. He is younger and has more upside and plays nasty and has plenty of offense.

Old
06-25-2006, 10:20 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Thanks Rangerboy, I did think the deadline was later in the year, but BB had it listed as June 15th. I agree on particularly letting Potter go...I'm in two minds on Guenin but I guess would like to see him signed (I've always thought he was a better prospect than Taylor), less concerned about Crabb.
Funny, Crabb's really the only one I would mind loosing, although, to be fair, my dislike of Potter is biased and has very little to do with his ability as a hockey player. Guenin I've never seen play, so I don't know what to think about him.

I really liked what I saw out of Crabb this year in the few CC games I caught. He struck me as having bottom 6 potential. I think he atleast deserves a (reasonable) contract.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 10:51 PM
The Assailant*

I was kind of high on Crabb, but then I think he went scoreless in the college playoffs, that was very strange, plus we have a lot of depth so it would be ok to lose him. I was never high on Potter and Guenin looks like he didn't make much progress.

Old
06-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Fish

I guess we'll have to disagree on Crabb, I don't think he becomes a regular NHLer at all, though I certainly think it's worth the Rangers offering him a contract to make sure. I don't think his offense will translate to the NHL, and he's not particularly strong on defense.

He has decent skating, and if he had a little more size he might be a better prospect. But the amount of goals he scored while standing mid-way in the slot, makes me wonder how he'll adjust to the pros, where he simply won't get that sort of time to setup for a shot.

Old
06-25-2006, 11:04 PM
Fish

In terms of Potter, the biggest challenge I think will be to add some bulk/strength. He plays a smart game defensively, and I don't think it was a coincidence that when he was out of the MSU line-up they struggled. He's got decent skating and can feed the puck out of the zone, but isn't going to score a whole lot. He also isn't afraid to lay on the hit, or the stick for that matter.

His coaches at MSU and on the gold medal US U-20 team both referred to him as the steadying influence on the blueline, and I happen to agree with that assessment. I really do think he's got a shot at the NHL if he can add some body mass.

Old
06-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Fish

Finally on Guenin, I really like how much he improved over the first two years of his college career. The first game I saw him play for OSU, he really did look lost, but by the end of the season he looked like a veteran out there. Is sophomore year was a bit of a bonus with the offense, but an injury (I think it was that year), right before the CCHA playoffs shortened what would have been a very good season.

He seemed to struggle a bit in his following two years, not so much regressing, as not progressing at the same rate he had through his first two years. I actually think he's a better prospect than Jake Taylor, but my initial enthusiasm has cooled somewhat.

Old
06-26-2006, 06:21 AM
eco's bones

To be honest I like all 3 starting with Guenin and then Potter and then Crabb. Having said that I don't know if the problem is we're not going to have room for them considering the limit of contracts a team can carry. More important now than any of them are signing Genoway and Girardi who've been under AHL contracts and who've proven that they're very good AHL players already and who we risk losing to free agency.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 07:04 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I've been a fan of all 3.

Potter I was clued in on from a buddy of mine who played on MSU last natl championship. I like Potter. Guenin is a nasty SOB. Each of the 3 have made strides and each has gotten better. These are the kind of players we need to sign. We need to move out some of the older prospects that have not progressed and make room in Hartford.

Old
06-26-2006, 08:09 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
These are the kind of players we need to sign. We need to move out some of the older prospects that have not progressed and make room in Hartford.
I agree. Especially when it comes to the likes of Guenin & Potter.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
I don't know anything about any of the players other than what I read here. I do think, though, that the Rangers' front office can't let prospects hold them hostage for big contracts. That first contract is the jumping-off point for future qualifying offers and sets precedents for prospects to come. Plus, isn't there a limit to the number of players we can have under contract? With all the picks we had in the 2004 and 2005 drafts, we have to be mindful of that limit and be careful of who we sign.

Potted Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Choice

They all seem like their top end is 4th line NHL. Perhaps management is lowballing them because the AHL cupboard is already stocked and if one or two walk, so be it.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 02:36 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice
They all seem like their top end is 4th line NHL. Perhaps management is lowballing them because the AHL cupboard is already stocked and if one or two walk, so be it.
It would be hard to envision Potter or Guenin to play on the 4th line, as they are both defensemen.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 05:25 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Thrashers signed Brett Sterling from Colorado College where he was Joey Crabb's teammate for four seasons.Wonder how much Atlanta gave Sterling as a comparison to what the Rangers are offering Crabb?Both players are/were eligible to become free agents on August 15

Quote:
the Thrashers signed another player Thursday with an unusual hockey background. Left winger Brett Sterling, a star at Colorado College, is a native of Los Angeles.

Sterling, 22, was fifth in NCAA Division I scoring with 55 points last season as a senior and was a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award as the top college player each of the past two seasons. He was selected by the Thrashers in the fifth round of the 2003 draft
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...thrashers.html