HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 17th: A game on TV! Saturday vs Detroit 10am PT/1pm ET

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 02:55 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
in a $250m reno project, removing a few 100's in the outfield won't matter much. I'm sure they have a plan working here to recoup the money somehow...
around 1000 seats is not a "few" What I'm saying is I'd be very surprised to see them being willing to remove so many premium seats. Either way I'm pretty pumped to see what they do with the renos and it sounds pretty preliminary at this point.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:04 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-contracts-mlb

interesting read Jonah Keri's (a favorite writer of mine, and a Canadian to boot) rankings of the worst contracts in baseball.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
13-14 Sharks CI Feed Tracker: 82 GP |29-39-14 (SJ-Opponent-Van/Nat'l)
www.bluejayshipsters.com We liked the Blue Jays before it was cool.
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
02-11-2013, 03:12 PM
topched

Any of you guys heading down to FLA for ST next month?

I just finalized plans... vs. ATL @ Disney then DET & NYY in Dunedin on the weekend. Should be a good week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post

interesting read Jonah Keri's (a favorite writer of mine, and a Canadian to boot) rankings of the worst contracts in baseball.
My favourite line: "What could have possibly possessed Tony Reagins to trade Mike Napoli for $84 million worth of Vernon Wells? The tab is down to half that. Actually, not exactly half that. There's still the matter of a $100,000 bonus if he gets the most All-Star Game votes in the league."

That is quite the bonus clause ^ ... Its funny because despite all of the great moves AA has made... moving VW's contract can still challenge the Dickey & Miami trades as his best move IMO.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:17 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post

2 of our pitchers got honourable mentions. Eek

Old
02-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Eyedea
Breakout Player

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
2 of our pitchers got honourable mentions. Eek
Well it's kind of obvious Buehrle would be up there since he's getting paid 37m between 2014-15. While Romero is getting paid a hefty amount, he still has the ability to pitch well enough to make his contract look valuable. However I wonder where he is on the list of the highest paid #5s...

Old
02-11-2013, 03:28 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post

I just finalized plans... vs. ATL @ Disney then DET & NYY in Dunedin on the weekend. Should be a good week.

My favourite line: "What could have possibly possessed Tony Reagins to trade Mike Napoli for $84 million worth of Vernon Wells? The tab is down to half that. Actually, not exactly half that. There's still the matter of a $100,000 bonus if he gets the most All-Star Game votes in the league."

That is quite the bonus clause ^ ... Its funny because despite all of the great moves AA has made... moving VW's contract can still challenge the Dickey & Miami trades as his best move IMO.
I'm going to Florida too late to catch a ST game and I'm not overly happy about it. Hoping I can at least line up a regular season game.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post

I'm hoping to get to either the Phillies or Rays game during the week.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Brody
Brooklyn ✔

vCash: 24591
Tears of joy.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Well it's kind of obvious Buehrle would be up there since he's getting paid 37m between 2014-15. While Romero is getting paid a hefty amount, he still has the ability to pitch well enough to make his contract look valuable. However I wonder where he is on the list of the highest paid #5s...
Whatever. He was paid not to be a #5, he was paid to be an ace/1A type pitcher. Make no mistake, he still has the talent to get back to his 2011 form. He still has a great chance to be one of our top 2 pitchers. Man, we have a lot of talent on this team, wow! If Dickey and Romero end up our top 2 pitchers, we still have Morrow, Johnson behind them who could be top 2 on any team in baseball. Anyone of those 4 could be our top pitcher. I am excited for this season!

Old
02-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Brett Cecil is hoping to follow teammate Steve Delabar’s example as he searches for a few miles-per-hour of lost velocity on his fastball.

Delabar, acquired from the Seattle Mariners last summer in exchange for outfielder Eric Thames, is the poster-child for what may very well be a revolutionary training program that rejuvenated his career in the wake of a devastating injury.

In 2009, at the age of 25 and trying to hang on to his big-league dream, pitching for the Independent League Brockton Rox, Delabar fractured his pitching elbow, an injury that required a metal plate and nine screws to hold it together. At the time he believed his career to be over.

As he tried to rehab his elbow near his home in Elizabethtown, Ky., Delabar was introduced to a program, devised by a Maryland man named Jamie Evans, that would revive his career.

Years before, Evans had recognized that baseball pitchers and tennis players share nearly identical mechanics. The throwing motion in baseball is virtually the same one that tennis players use to serve. So, Evans wondered, why do baseball pitchers suffer devastating arm injuries that tennis players largely are able to avoid?

The main difference is that tennis players obviously don’t release their rackets in the way that baseball players release the baseball. The tennis motion ends in a smooth follow-through. Evans then started having pitchers work with weighted balls, holding on to the ball all the way through the motion, to strengthen the muscles at the back of the shoulder.

Ironically, what started as a program to promote healthier shoulders had an unintended by-product: Improved velocity. Delabar is the magna *** laude graduate of this program. Two years after his supposed career-ending injury, he was back in baseball, moving swiftly into the Mariners bullpen, throwing in the mid-to-high ’90s.

Two years ago, Cecil came to Blue Jays camp, coming off a solid 15-win season in just his second year in the big-leagues, and had lost several miles an hour off his fastball. In that 2011 season, he would go 4-11 and spend considerable time in the minors. Last season, he came to camp having shed 40 pounds but with improved strength. Unfortunately, the missing velocity hadn’t reappeared.

Last fall, he embarked on Adams’ velocity program and his training kit is in a cloth bag in his locker: A half-dozen weighted balls, each inside its own sock. The balls range in weight from two ounces to two pounds. He has been at it since last October and has already seen significant improvement in his velocity. Reluctant to discuss radar gun numbers, his enthusiasm for the process tells you all you need to know about the progress he’s made.

“Before I started the program, they did velocity tests to set a baseline for the program then every so often they go back to the radar gun to see where you’re at. Even without the (gun) readings, I can feel there is more arm speed as I go through my motion.

“I’m really excited about this and excited to keep working on it as we start facing live hitting here in camp,” he said.

Cecil has also been able to maintain his slimmer physique and believes the lifestyle changes he made to lose the excess weight are now permanent. When he came back to the Jays from the minors late in the season, he pitched out of the bullpen and is going to compete for a spot in the pen this spring.
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/10...y-has-returned

Lets hope Cecil's velocity has actually returned. As a starter, he could hit 94-95 occasionally and he did show more velocity when he moved to the pen (90-93, hitting 94), so if he has gained a tick or two, we could see a pretty great Cecil. He can already dominate lefties, and with better velocity, he could get righties out in limited situations.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
financial flexibility?

Is there a cap i don't know about?

About damn time we started to act like a big market.

After 20 years of futility, the last thing i want to hear from them is lack of action because of $.
I think you misunderstood me. I never said Jays should dump Buehrle because of his salary but, hypothetically, moving his salary next season to sign Halladay makes a lot of sense. Not only because of roster spot, but Doc is better (assuming he bounces back) and worth that money. So basically, Jays would be getting an upgrade for similar salary... and I think that's a good thing.

Either way, even as a big market team, you have to be wise with your spending. We're not the Dodgers or Yankees where we can spend foolishly. Jays still need to be careful with their payroll because even while there is no cap to it, there is a budget and you can only spend so much before you start losing money.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/10...y-has-returned

Lets hope Cecil's velocity has actually returned. As a starter, he could hit 94-95 occasionally and he did show more velocity when he moved to the pen (90-93, hitting 94), so if he has gained a tick or two, we could see a pretty great Cecil. He can already dominate lefties, and with better velocity, he could get righties out in limited situations.
I was reading that earlier, if it is true that it will give him his 93ish velocity, he has a good enough repertoire to let him start. I would absolutely love to have him as the swingman if he gets the juice back then it adds significant depth with Happ and Lincoln being stretched out.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
250 mil for a reno? Damn

How much just for a whole new stadium lol, let's face it, Rogers Centre is top 3 worst stadiums in baseball right now. You can bet your bottom dollar that Rays have been up top that list for years.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:17 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Dickey is awesome

Old
02-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Lebanese Leaf

What do you guys see Canada's WBC lineup looking like?

Old
02-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Eyedea
Breakout Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
What do you guys see Canada's WBC lineup looking like?

I believe they're still waiting on Votto to pass his insurance physical.

Rankings - http://www.ibaf.org/en/world-ranking.aspx?type=1

Old
02-11-2013, 07:16 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

The Lineup looks pretty solid and the bullpen isn't bad, but they're really handcuffed by the lack of starting pitching.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
I believe that Scott Richmond has been removed from the roster due to injury.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post

I believe they're still waiting on Votto to pass his insurance physical.

Rankings - http://www.ibaf.org/en/world-ranking.aspx?type=1
I thought the Pirates said Taillon wasn't going? Good to see he's going. Also going to be weird for MLB because they made Taillon play for team USA at the Prospects game last year and now he's going to put on a Canadian uniform.

That team isn't as good as it could be. Which is sad. Wish St Louis would let Oscar Taveras go. That middle infield is also horrible.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Huge props to the Indians. They have had an excellent off-season.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Eyedea
Breakout Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I thought the Pirates said Taillon wasn't going? Good to see he's going. Also going to be weird for MLB because they made Taillon play for team USA at the Prospects game last year and now he's going to put on a Canadian uniform.

That team isn't as good as it could be. Which is sad. Wish St Louis would let Oscar Taveras go. That middle infield is also horrible.
Never heard about that, but they're likely letting him participate so he can work with Martin.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Depending on the success of Cecil I think the Jays should be using this technique on all its prospects that are on the bubble like a McGuire or Jenkins, adding a few clicks would instantly boost the effectiveness of their stuff.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
around 1000 seats is not a "few" What I'm saying is I'd be very surprised to see them being willing to remove so many premium seats. Either way I'm pretty pumped to see what they do with the renos and it sounds pretty preliminary at this point.
premium seats in the outfield?

Old
02-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
250 mil for a reno? Damn

How much just for a whole new stadium lol, let's face it, Rogers Centre is top 3 worst stadiums in baseball right now. You can bet your bottom dollar that Rays have been up top that list for years.
how much did they spend renovating it in 2005/06?

they bought it for $25m, and it originally cost 900m to make (adjusted for inflation)

marlins field cost 600m, twins cost 550, Busch cost 365m....yankees cost 1.5 billion

I dunno....I'd rather have a real grass Busch Stadium-type on the lake for 300+ than spending just as much putting lipstick on a pig. Though, I'd like to know what's in store for the renovations. 250 million is A LOT, maybe they'll make things really nice.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:53 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
premium seats in the outfield?
For some reason I thought the 100's ended at the foul poles. I didn't realize they went into the full outfield.

Closed Thread