HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Arnason vs Ribeiro..... the habs blew it

Old
07-07-2006, 01:33 AM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Tyler Arnason vs Ribeiro..... the habs blew it

Tyler Arnason who is very comparable to Mike Ribeiro

both useless much of the time
both benched last season
id prefer to have neither one on my team

BUT

the diffrence ? one makes $950,000 the other making $1.9 million

how the $$@#$# does this happen?

TSN.ca Staff

7/1/2006 4:55:51 PM

DENVER - The Colorado Avalanche have signed free agent center Tyler Arnason to a one-year, $950,000 contract.

A 5-11, 204-pound native of Oklahoma City, OK, Arnason, 27, spent his last four NHL seasons in the Chicago Blackhawks organization where he earned All-Rookie honors during the 2002-03 season. Arnason was dealt to the Ottawa Senators at the trading deadline this past season after registering 41 points in 60 games.

Career NHL -264 games -57 goal-86 assts -143 points

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...bname=nhl-sens

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...=nhl-canadiens

Sports Ticker

7/6/2006 7:48:12 PM

MONTREAL (Ticker) - Mike Ribeiro will be spending another campaign playing for his hometown team.

The Montreal Canadiens re-signed the 26-year-old centre to a one-year, $1.9 million US contract on Thursday.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

A native of Montreal, Ribeiro had 16 goals and 35 assists in 79 games with the Canadiens this past season, his sixth in the league. He had 50 goals and 103 assists in his 276-game career, all with the Canadiens.

Careeer NHL -276 games -50 goals -103 assts -153 pts

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 01:59 AM
wholeshow*

after being run out of ottawa for doing absolutely NOTHING, he had to settle for peanuts.
arnason couldn't do jack squat while playing with players like havlat, so he deserves to get paid under a million.

the habs aren't exactly stacked at the center position either, so considering ribs is already within the organization why care about a guy like arnason? habs may have overpaid a little, but they gave mike some confidence to prove himself with the contract. if he faulters again, he's out of here.

but here's a question for you how much did jeff halpern get this offseason? 2 million? 44 points while playing with ovechkin? come on now.

"HABS MADE A MISTAKE."

come on man.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 02:00 AM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post

both benched last season

BUT

TSN.ca Staff

DENVER - The Colorado Avalanche have signed free agent center Tyler Arnason to a one-year, $950,000 contract.

A 5-11, 204-pound native of Oklahoma City, OK, Arnason, 27, spent his last four NHL seasons in the Chicago Blackhawks organization where he earned All-Rookie honors during the 2002-03 season. Arnason was dealt to the Ottawa Senators at the trading deadline this past season after registering 41 points in 60 games.

Sports Ticker

MONTREAL (Ticker) - Mike Ribeiro will be spending another campaign playing for his hometown team.

The Montreal Canadiens re-signed the 26-year-old centre to a one-year, $1.9 million US contract on Thursday.

A native of Montreal, Ribeiro had 16 goals and 35 assists in 79 games with the Canadiens this past season, his sixth in the league. He had 50 goals and 103 assists in his 276-game career, all with the Canadiens.

I don't like Mike Ribeiro much but Tyler Arnason make Ribeiro look like Alex Tanguay...

Arnason is crap in any way possible...bad player, bad teamate

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 02:01 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
after being run out of ottawa for doing absolutely NOTHING, he had to settle for peanuts.
arnason couldn't do jack squat while playing with players like havlat, so he deserves to get paid under a million.

the habs aren't exactly stacked at the center position either, so considering ribs is already within the organization why care about a guy like arnason? habs may have overpaid a little, but they gave mike some confidence to prove himself with the contract. if he faulters again, he's out of here.

but here's a question for you how much did jeff halpern get this offseason? 2 million? 44 points while playing with ovechkin? come on now.

"HABS MADE A MISTAKE."

come on man.
Halpern didn't play with Ovechkin much this season.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 02:05 AM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Halpern didn't play with Ovechkin much this season.
ovechkin took turns playing with laich and halpern...but halpern mostly. thanks though.

Old
07-07-2006, 02:07 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
ovechkin took turns playing with laich and halpern...but halpern mostly. thanks though.
he played mostly with Clarke and Zubrus.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 02:10 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

both benched last season

BUT

TSN.ca Staff

Sports Ticker

Well 2 millions is too much money for Ribs I think we will all agree here... But the guy is signed for only one season and I highly doubt he will be resigned next year... A trade could occur during the season, especially if Ribs is doing well centering Kovalev and ?Kostitsyn?... Imagine if Tampa goes nowhere, what could very well happen...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 02:17 AM
les Habs

Well I saw Arnason play in Chicago last year before he was traded to Ottawa and he sucked big time. Of course anybody can have a bad game, but I would take Ribeiro over him every time. Besides, Mike is a local boy who I'm sure appreciates playing for the Habs (believe it or not) more than Arnason would.

I think the Ribs bashing needs a rest. OK, so he's not worth 1.9 million. So what. There are a ton of guys littered throughout the league who are now overpaid. And Ribs showed some heart last season down the stretch. IMO he stepped it up after Gainey took charge and showed some grit (albeit Ribeiro grit).

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 02:19 AM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
he played mostly with Clarke and Zubrus.

nah, ovechkin played with halpern for the majority of the first half of the season with halpern. he started to get double shifted in most nights before the allstar break (olympics)...where he saw time with halpern, laich and yes zubrus.
first game of the year:
here

one of the last games of the year:
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...6/SC021141.HTM

might i add, ovechkin around the middle of january started playing more with zubrus and clarke. but saw pp time with halpern and often centered by halpern with the net empty. halpern struggled with ovechkin, and that's why the change was made to zubrus moving to center to play with AO instead.

Last edited by wholeshow*: 07-07-2006 at 02:30 AM.
Old
07-07-2006, 02:28 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs View Post
Well I saw Arnason play in Chicago last year before he was traded to Ottawa and he sucked big time. Of course anybody can have a bad game, but I would take Ribeiro over him every time. Besides, Mike is a local boy who I'm sure appreciates playing for the Habs (believe it or not) more than Arnason would.

I think the Ribs bashing needs a rest. OK, so he's not worth 1.9 million. So what. There are a ton of guys littered throughout the league who are now overpaid. And Ribs showed some heart last season down the stretch. IMO he stepped it up after Gainey took charge and showed some grit (albeit Ribeiro grit).
Who know, maybe he added some muscles during the summer, what he desesperatly need to survive in the NHL.. Ribs couldnt make Kovalev produce last season, it just didnt work, no complementarity.. He will probably have the chance to center Kovalev again, with a better player than Bulis as other linemate but people wont be patient, his line is better to work cause he will quickly find Zednik on the third line or see the action from the pressbox. I hope Carbo will try Plekanec with Kovalev at some point, Im sure the line would work.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 03:49 AM
Kirk Muller*

I'm not a big fan of Ribeiro but the Habs hardly "blew it". By all accounts, Arnason was a piece of crap. Word gets around fast in the league and that's why he had to sign for near minimum.

Perhaps Bob could have signed Ribeiro for a bit less. In the end, it makes no difference at all.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 04:01 AM
JJ

Does anyone realize Ribs and Ryder played most of last season injured? In the last 15 games or so Ribs didn't look all that bad and I'm sure he'll look even better next season. Ribs played most of last season with (ironically enough) a ribs injury. I'm sure he'll look much better this upcoming season. So will Ryder, however, Ryder is a Leafs man at heart, so he'll never be happy playing here. I just hope the Arbitrator doesn't put his salary way out of whack.

JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 04:28 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
I'm not a big fan of Ribeiro but the Habs hardly "blew it". By all accounts, Arnason was a piece of crap. Word gets around fast in the league and that's why he had to sign for near minimum.

Perhaps Bob could have signed Ribeiro for a bit less. In the end, it makes no difference at all.

i know there are many here bashing Arnason as a piece of crap . the guy is the same as ribs period .they both got near identical stats in the same amount of nhl career games

they both got benched in 2005/2006 they both seen the 4th line due to poor play , both went on longgggggg scoring droughts , they both were healthly scratches (*3 times each)

do you honestly think there is 1 other team in the nhl willing to pay Ribeiro 1.9 million ? your not gonna find any except montreal

you claim there's " word" around the leauge and thats why arnson had to sign for the minium? yea right you dont think there any " word" around the league on Ribeiro?

-----------------
Flaws.

Still needs a lot of work in the defensive zone. Must bulk up, for he is quite undersized by NHL standards. Is still a bit immature.

-----------------

so where does tsn scouting service get off calling Ribeiro a bit immature.? was that just something they made up or is there " word around the leauge?throw in the fact he's tatoo'ed for life with his acting job against boston. the boston and montreal gm's were not the only guys to see that video tape i can assure you that

ill make you a bet right now if you put Ribeiro today in the open market as a ufa not one team offer's him 1.9 million. not in a million years .my bet would be he would have to sign a contract around 1 million per season on any other team just like tyler .

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 07-07-2006 at 05:06 AM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 04:59 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

this board gets sadder by the day.

Please Gainey sign someone before someone commits board suicide over the next contract.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 07:06 AM
Evil Ted

arnisons work ethic and habits are not very good, he enjoys to party and his game suffers because of it, until he takes hockey seriously teams should stay away from him.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 07:13 AM
Artie

Quote:

you claim there's " word" around the leauge and thats why arnson had to sign for the minium? yea right you dont think there any " word" around the league on Ribeiro?

-----------------
Flaws.

Still needs a lot of work in the defensive zone. Must bulk up, for he is quite undersized by NHL standards. Is still a bit immature.

-----------------

so where does tsn scouting service get off calling Ribeiro a bit immature.? was that just something they made up or is there " word around the leauge?throw in the fact he's tatoo'ed for life with his acting job against boston. the boston and montreal gm's were not the only guys to see that video tape i can assure you that

you're not saying there's a book on Ribiero?

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 07:19 AM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
well at least it's short term if he ribeiro can't keep it up next year with carbo just tell him good bye !

Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 07:39 AM
GoHabsGO252006

1.9M what in the world was bob thinking, i would've let him walk at that price, he better have signed him to trade thim that is brutal brutal brutal

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 07:41 AM
pepperMonkey

err..another Ribs sucks thread....

My golly would you all just stop?
It's one year for goodness sakes!
Who the hell cares if Ribs got over paid by 0.5-1 mil!
It's ONE year!
If it doesn't work, he's gone.
If it works, we have a 2nd C.
Oh, and did I mention it's only for ONE year???
I think some people won't be satisfied until Ribs is put in front of the firing squad.
Just calm down.
It's not the end of the world.
Man, I'm getting tired of all this.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 07:49 AM
gusfring

Quote:
nah, ovechkin played with halpern for the majority of the first half of the season with halpern. he started to get double shifted in most nights before the allstar break (olympics)...where he saw time with halpern, laich and yes zubrus.
first game of the year:
here

one of the last games of the year:
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...6/SC021141.HTM

might i add, ovechkin around the middle of january started playing more with zubrus and clarke. but saw pp time with halpern and often centered by halpern with the net empty. halpern struggled with ovechkin, and that's why the change was made to zubrus moving to center to play with AO instead.
Here's another game. Hardly played with him at all.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...6/SC020410.HTM

Halpern is a much more complete player than Ribeiro, but since MTL re-signed Ribeiro, he's great.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 08:15 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I don't really know why Halpern is in this thread, he's a completely different kind of player from Arnason and Ribeiro. I'd be comparing Halpern to a somewhat more talented Steve Begin, probably.

Arnason gets $950K?
Ribeiro gets $1.9M?
Marc Savard gets $5M?

I don't know how different those 3 players are, aside from circumstances. I'd like to have Ribeiro at $950k. I'm sure glad we don't have him at $5M.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Alouette_19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
1.9M what in the world was bob thinking, i would've let him walk at that price, he better have signed him to trade thim that is brutal brutal brutal
Come on!!!!

No one want to sign in Montreal so we are stuck with the players we have.....yes Ribeiro is overpaid and so what!!!! He sign for 1 year....If again he played poorly at least we have someone who can play C on the 3rd line.....The next season we just have to not sign him that's all!!!

Also does some realize that Bonk receive more money than Ribeiro??? That's really

Alouette_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
My golly would you all just stop?
It's one year for goodness sakes!
Who the hell cares if Ribs got over paid by 0.5-1 mil!
It's ONE year!
If it doesn't work, he's gone.
If it works, we have a 2nd C.
Oh, and did I mention it's only for ONE year???
I think some people won't be satisfied until Ribs is put in front of the firing squad.
Just calm down.
It's not the end of the world.
Man, I'm getting tired of all this.
You're right, not the end of the world, but the question remains, WHY did Bob overpay? Ribeiro had no bargaining power whatsoever. He looked lousier than the year before in every aspect. Why not just have him sign his qualifier for one year?

I must say I'm less and less confident about Gainey's cap management under the new NHL. That contract to me seems just to be playing Mr nice guy with Mikey Ribs. Of course you can point out any time he probably knows more than me and you'd be right so we'll wait and see. All I'm saying is I'm worried. He had no reason to sign Ribeiro to that amount IMO. None. Maybe Ribs will finally become a hard working 60pts second line center who competes on most nights, and then that 1.9M will look a heck of a lot better, but I really doubt that happens. All Ribs has proven so far is he disappears when the going gets tough.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Pat

after Arnason's "impressive" play with the Sens, I think I'd rather have Ribiero...even at 1.9 as opposed to Arnason's contract

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
after Arnason's "impressive" play with the Sens, I think I'd rather have Ribiero...even at 1.9 as opposed to Arnason's contract
I'd rather have Ribeiro too, but by a hair, and certainly not at 1.9M. Those 2 are awfully similar. Lazy inconsistent but talented playmakers that disappear completely when the play is raised a notch. They can't keep up against fast or physical teams. Both very weak 2nd line Cs.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote