HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Dubinsky Weight Discussion - Before and After Photos

Old
07-07-2006, 01:32 AM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
There were reports he gained 25 pounds from May? I thought he gained the 25 or so pounds from the start of the season. Hmm thats kinda a shock if he really did put on 25 pounds in 2 months.
Well that's where my concern/question is really.

At the end of the year he was listed at about 205-210 tops (I think at the time I said he was more likely in the 195-205 range and thought 210 was a little high). The weights were "updated" recently with the camp they held (along with photos) and suddenly he was at 225. So at the very least you're talking about 15 pounds and maybe as much as 20-30.

That's a lot of weight for a kid who some people thought looked like a stick just a year ago.

Another comment we heard was that he seemed to be caring some fat that could be turned into muscle, so what range is that going to push him into? 230?235?

It all just seems a bit high to me. Now understand that at the end of the day, most of this thread is really just BS. I doubt any of us are really taking this serious, but it is a bit weird.

As Fletch noted too, this team has had some thick kids over the years. Malhotra, Kloucek, Doig whose main flaw at the time was that he trained like a body builder and not a hockey player. And supposedly Dubinsky either outweighs or is right up there with them. He'sas big as Brendan Witt, Jason Weimer and Bob Probert.

While I agree he's clearly bulked up,that seems a bit high. But with the Rangers, we'll never really know.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 01:53 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Definitely with that facial hair going and that fro. Love the fro.

He's clearly my favorite Rangers prospect and I can't wait for him to join the big club.
ditto.. Dawes and Marc Staal..

Last edited by dank: 07-07-2006 at 01:54 AM. Reason: overzealous trigger finger.
dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
It's hard to tell anything from the photos that have been posted, except that Rod Brind'Amour is freakin' cut. Holy crap!

Potted Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Davisian

I'm going to save my thoughts for the

"Best Ranger Hairstyle" thread..

Or maybe the "Ranger manscaping; Do they wax, pluck or go hirsute?" poll (hee hee "poll")

Davisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
But getting away from the chubby neck debate, the legs don't look that great either.
Best quote around here in some time.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:23 AM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
I find these Dubi #s to be a little high. Here's a recent photo of Rod Brind-Amour and he's listed 6'1, 205.

[IMAGE]http://nhl.speedera.net//image-upload/brindamour_scj06_01_194x275.jpg[/IMAGE]

I'll reserve judgement on Dubinsky until he holds a shirts off interview (like Poti loved a little too much this season).
I think they might be undersizing Brindamour. With a body like that he's gotta weigh more than 205.

romba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by romba View Post
I think they might be undersizing Brindamour. With a body like that he's gotta weigh more than 205.
yeah, unless he's really only like 5'10 or something, he's got to weight more than 205

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Ola

Age and natrual growing aside, someone in good shape just can't add more then 10 lbs in 12 month, even 10 lbs is allot.

Dubinsky where probably 175-180 when he was drafted, then probably around 190 at the start of last season and around 200 now, that makes sense. Gooing by the pics he is defenitly not over 200, 220lbs is just fiction.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Edge

I mean he was i believe 180 at draft time, so we're talking about nearly 50 pounds of weight in two years. That's tough, not impossible, but tough. Especially when you consider that playing hockey is going to burn a lot of weight as well.

The biggest challange of a hockey player is not necessarily gaining the weight, but keeping it on while your season is going.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
yeah, unless he's really only like 5'10 or something, he's got to weight more than 205
Nah, some people are just heavy, thick bones and massive legs all the way. Though if someone have as little body fat as Brind'Amour 205 lbs is pretty much. Arnold Schwarzenegger where just 230 lbs when he competed, Rod B is like a flagpole compared to him...

Old
07-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Fletch

I've seen one picture...

with Brindy's shirt off - it was about 10-15 years ago, and he looked nothing like that, and was listed at 6'1 205. He looks like he has little lower body, and the guy's always been in great shape, but I'd be surprised if he's only 205.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I mean he was i believe 180 at draft time, so we're talking about nearly 50 pounds of weight in two years. That's tough, not impossible, but tough. Especially when you consider that playing hockey is going to burn a lot of weight as well.
Its not impossible, if you eat right, and its pretty commone knowledge that allot of hockeyplayers all over the world eat right, atleast I can say for certain that it is in Sweden and Finland.

Though Dubinsky have also played, what, 120 games last 2 season? You don't play 120 hockey games, practise on ice 400 times and add 50 lbs of muscle, not a chance. I've got a good friend who is among the top 10 in bodybuilders in Sweden, he drives a scooter everywhere he goes just to save energy.

All I am saying is that anything over 205-210 lbs when it comes to dubinsky is just fiction. Arnold where 512 and 230 lbs at his peak, Dubinsky aren't 61 and 220 lbs in thoose pics.

Old
07-07-2006, 03:15 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
All I am saying is that anything over 205-210 lbs when it comes to dubinsky is just fiction. Arnold where 512 and 230 lbs at his peak, Dubinsky aren't 61 and 220 lbs in thoose pics.
Maybe it's the metric system, but in America, 5'12 = 6 feet

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 07:15 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Definitely with that facial hair going and that fro. Love the fro.

He's clearly my favorite Rangers prospect and I can't wait for him to join the big club.
Gotta agree with you...Hoping he makes the team this year. Would love to be one of the first to have a Dawes jersey!

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 12:57 AM
SML

First off, the Rangers have been pumping their guys up on paper for years. I remember when they got Adam Graves, I was pissed because they gave up Troy Mallette, who was a bigger, stronger player. I think they had Graves listed as about 190- 195 in Edmonton. He hits NY, and presto! 210 Lbs. This stuff doesn't matter one bit. Teams do it all the time. Guys are weighing in in camp, when they aren't in game shape. How many guys do you think have a problem keeping weight on during the season? About Brind'Amour, he could be 205. You're talking about a world class athlete, who has a league wide reputation as a fitness nut. I heard the Trainers actually have to lock this guy out of the gym or he'll overtrain. He's been working out constantly for over half his life. I was surprised he was THAT big, but size can be decieving in photos. Brind'Amour is probably at like 4-5% bodyfat, and I'm probably on the high side. I don't think it's that far off. Plus you gotta figure that picture is after a couple of weeks off and no doubt after some heavy celebrations. A guy that tuned in to his routine could easily put on 10-15 pounds or so before he gets back into the gym again.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote