HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Clarke MacArthur to NJ

Old
02-11-2013, 07:40 PM
MJMazzarone
JAGRBOMBS!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Throw him our way, he will never work in your system but he might in ours.

I would be willing to take a chance on him, what is he worth? Mid round pick in this years draft? Or another prospect that might suit you better?
I'd consider another forward prospect or a 5th round pick. Then again I am not too familiar with the Leafs' farm system if I am being completely honest. A 5th or 6th though or a "project" forward could do it for Teddy. He doesn't have too much value right now but as said multiple times he could have tons of value if he flourishes in the right system.

MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post
I'd consider another forward prospect or a 5th round pick. Then again I am not too familiar with the Leafs' farm system if I am being completely honest. A 5th or 6th though or a "project" forward could do it for Teddy. He doesn't have too much value right now but as said multiple times he could have tons of value if he flourishes in the right system.
How about Matt Beattie, he's a project. Was our 7th Round Pick last year, he is from New Jersey and the Devils were his favorite team.

He is currently playing for Yale.

He was picked up in the 7th but was ranked at 107 in final rankings.

Here's some thing people have said about him:

Quote:
“Matt has been outstanding all year in his post-grad year. He is the leading scorer in New England with 28 goals, 29 assists in 18 games. He’s one of my all-time favorites in 25 years here. Matt loves to practice, play, and enjoy the game with his teammates. He’s a real competitor when the going gets tough. His skating is outstanding, explosive and he has pretty darn good hands as well. He needs to improve speed of his shot and put on some weight, but Matt has flown under the radar. He could be the real deal.”
Then someone on the Canucks board who watches him said this:

Quote:
Beattie was used on the 3rd Line LW when he did play. I saw the last 3 games prior to his disappearance (whether it be for injury or benching or otherwise). In that last game I watched, he got promoted actually half way through the game to the 2nd line and got time on the top PP. So I tend to lean towards it not being a strict benching, rather some kind of injury or other factor.

And personally, i thought he was noticable and impressed me for a 7th round pick. Although the stats won't excite a single person here, i think there's more to his game than that. He is a high energy player who initiates physical contact (seems to like it) and is a good forechecker. Very mobile for a guy his size, showed flashes of skill and nice hands. I wouldn't say his defense is a place of concern, he is in the right places. His offense is a bit of a concern, he generates chances, but rarely shoots and isn't assertive enough with the puck. Definitely something to work on in the next couple of years. I'm being patient with this one, there's something to work with.
He's 6'3, 175. He seems to kinda fit your system? That or we could give u a 5th/6th What do you say?

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Zippy316

Devils would be absolutely stupid to dump Tedenby for a 5th, no way we get rid of him for a project from the 7th round. If we're trading him for another prospect, it's a similarly aged player whose struggling to fit in, see Tangradi. It's just better to hold onto him and let him develop otherwise. He's only 22, the only reason we got Loktionov for a 5th is Lombardi was concerned that he was a flight risk.

Tedenby does not show signs of this. He's trying to stick on the NHL level very hard, just needs to build up strength so he can play the game he wants to. He's too weak on the boards and gets manhandled way too easily. His hockey sense isn't his strong point, but if he can upgrade his strength, he can get by creating offensive chances by actually winning puck battles.

Zippy316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Devils would be absolutely stupid to dump Tedenby for a 5th, no way we get rid of him for a project from the 7th round. If we're trading him for another prospect, it's a similarly aged player whose struggling to fit in, see Tangradi. It's just better to hold onto him and let him develop otherwise. He's only 22, the only reason we got Loktionov for a 5th is Lombardi was concerned that he was a flight risk.

Tedenby does not show signs of this. He's trying to stick on the NHL level very hard, just needs to build up strength so he can play the game he wants to. He's too weak on the boards and gets manhandled way too easily. His hockey sense isn't his strong point, but if he can upgrade his strength, he can get by creating offensive chances by actually winning puck battles.
Actually after talking it over, someone has convinced me Beattie is solid.

How about Billy Sweat. This one is actually something to look at, its a pretty fair swap.

Like Tedenby, Sweatt plays in the AHL, for the Wolves and is one of the key pieces right now. He is a two-way forward with blazing speed, decent size, grit and a good shot. Once again would suit your system alot better. He project to be a 2-way 3rd liner.

Billy Sweatt for Mattias Tedenby? What do you say. Seems pretty fair.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Actually after talking it over, someone has convinced me Beattie is solid.

How about Billy Sweat. This one is actually something to look at, its a pretty fair swap.

Like Tedenby, Sweatt plays in the AHL, for the Wolves and is one of the key pieces right now. He is a two-way forward with blazing speed, decent size, grit and a good shot. Once again would suit your system alot better. He project to be a 2-way 3rd liner.

Billy Sweatt for Mattias Tedenby? What do you say. Seems pretty fair.
I wouldn't be against it, but I'm still in the boat that I'd rather keep Tedenby and dangle him for a bigger fish in a package. The impact Sweatt will have doesn't really outweigh the potential benefits of keeping Tedenby around to see if he can reach that potential that's untapped. He may never reach it, but Id hate to look back and think, damn we should've let him grow.

Zippy316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:43 PM
The Hockey Life
HF Boards Partner

Done.

The Hockey Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
I wouldn't be against it, but I'm still in the boat that I'd rather keep Tedenby and dangle him for a bigger fish in a package. The impact Sweatt will have doesn't really outweigh the potential benefits of keeping Tedenby around to see if he can reach that potential that's untapped. He may never reach it, but Id hate to look back and think, damn we should've let him grow.
Understandable.

It's just that both are in the same situation, for us Sweatt isn't acheveing the offensive numbers he could as some have passed him, and he doesn't suit us as we have many 3rd liners in the pipe aswell as many on the current roster. He might suit you better and earn a spot.

Then the situation with Tedenby has been pretty well stated by fans, just doesn't seem to work.

Fair enough though, I would look at him in a package deal too, but in a prospect swap. That's pretty fair.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:07 PM
MJMazzarone
JAGRBOMBS!!!

Quote:

Then what about just the 2nd for MacArthur? Would you think that would still get things done? I see some Leafs fans saying so but I can't help thinking there Toronto would ask for more as well.

Then again I'm only playing armchair GM here

MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:12 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post

Clarke MacAuthur

2nd round pick
Mattias Tedenby.

The New Jersey Devils are looking for forward depth and I could see this as an excellent bargain grab for the Devils if MacArthur could be had for cheap - especially coming off two 20 goal seasons w/ Toronto. Tedenby would be a "throw in" and the real value would be the 2nd round pick. Although I believe the scenery change could do Teddy some benefit.

This would leave NJD would a possible lineup of:

MacAuthur-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Elias-Henrique-Clarkson
Matteau-Josefson-Butler (Zubrus when he returns)
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Thoughts?
Deals like this just don't happen at this time of year. No team wants to get worse immediately, and the Leafs certainly aren't in a position to be sellers at this point.

The only deals to be had, are hockey deals. Whereby both teams reasonably expect to improve going forward. MacArthur may be available in a deal like that, but you're going to have to part with a pretty good young player to make it work... assuming of course Reimer's injury isn't expected to be of the long term variety.

For those wondering what happens when Lupul comes back... if the Leafs are lucky enough to have no other forwards hurt, they'll deal with it then.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Brody
Brooklyn ✔

vCash: 24591
Tedenby + 2nd for Mac... Sign me up.

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:36 PM
bobermay

If Versteeg can get a 1st and a 3rd, MacArthur can get more than just a second.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:56 PM
BertCorbeau
Speak my Changuage

Call the GMs, and tell em we got this one figured out .. They can have the night off

BertCorbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:05 AM
MuchoMacho

27 year old 20 goal scorer on a decent contract? 2nd rounder.

I don't understand HFBoard's common consensus of draft picks being worth so much. You'd be thrilled if a 2nd round pick ended up being a top 6 winger. The chances of it are HIGHLY unlikely. What are the comparable trades that show a player like MacArthur being traded for a second rounder? Are there any?

Don't get me wrong, I know MacArthur is a pending UFA and he's the odd man out in Toronto but a second rounder isn't helping Toronto now, and it's probably not going to help them in the next 2-3 years either.. so why would Nonis do this? How does this help the team at all?

MacArthur is either traded in a package deal with Gardiner/Rielly/Liles/Prospects/Picks for a center or he's traded for a goaltender. If a team offers up a first at the deadline and the scouts really like the players available they might consider it rather than letting him walk. Giving up MacArthur for a second rounder right now would defy all logic.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:30 AM
Jax Teller

Not available for this price now. Come back near the deadline.

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote