HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 17th: A game on TV! Saturday vs Detroit 10am PT/1pm ET

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 10:00 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
how much did they spend renovating it in 2005/06?

they bought it for $25m, and it originally cost 900m to make (adjusted for inflation)

marlins field cost 600m, twins cost 550, Busch cost 365m....yankees cost 1.5 billion

I dunno....I'd rather have a real grass Busch Stadium-type on the lake for 300+ than spending just as much putting lipstick on a pig. Though, I'd like to know what's in store for the renovations. 250 million is A LOT, maybe they'll make things really nice.
I don't like the idea of an open stadium with us potentially playing into the winter. The roof is a nice luxury. I think they'll work on not having it look so much like a concrete ring. I'm not exactly sure how they'd be able to accomplish it but I'm real pumped to see what a 250 million dollar face lift will look like. Just hoping they can accomplish a lot with that money. One thing I would like to see is in and out priveleges which wouldn't cost a cent. I never understood why they don't allow it. I use to be a heavy smoker and it held me back from going to games because 3 1/2 hours is a long time to go without a smoke.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
how much did they spend renovating it in 2005/06?

they bought it for $25m, and it originally cost 900m to make (adjusted for inflation)

marlins field cost 600m, twins cost 550, Busch cost 365m....yankees cost 1.5 billion

I dunno....I'd rather have a real grass Busch Stadium-type on the lake for 300+ than spending just as much putting lipstick on a pig. Though, I'd like to know what's in store for the renovations. 250 million is A LOT, maybe they'll make things really nice.
The biggest thing is location, and RC is in a perfect location downtown, right by public transport, and they paid nothing for the place. For Rogers it makes no sense to spend money finding a place to put a new stadium and then all that money they'd have to pay to build it, because there's no way they'd be approved for public funding after paying peanuts for the Dome.

It's either pay $250-million to make the place better (outfield park, real grass, etc.) and improve an atmosphere that will already be pretty amazing given the on-field improvements to the club, or spend >$800-million finding another prime location and building a stadium that would have to be one of the better stadiums in the league to justify making the move in the first place.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:17 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

vCash: 1205
Man I'm so happy we're already getting spring training interviews and whatnot going.

I get pumped up really easily I guess, but I don't mind.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Am I the only one who thinks this Cecil news is potentially a game changing revolution that might be centered out of Toronto?

Old
02-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this Cecil news is potentially a game changing revolution that might be centered out of Toronto?
Yeah if it starts helping more and more guys out, I am sure it will become much bigger news.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:55 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Richard Griffin is working for TSN now as their "insider"

God help us all.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 23 GP, 9-10-4 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
02-12-2013, 07:24 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
I was reading that earlier, if it is true that it will give him his 93ish velocity, he has a good enough repertoire to let him start. I would absolutely love to have him as the swingman if he gets the juice back then it adds significant depth with Happ and Lincoln being stretched out.
I'd definitely be ok with giving him a chance to start. But he's behind guys like Happ. Not so much Lincoln probably.

It would give us a lot of added depth and the ability to make a trade or 2

Old
02-12-2013, 07:25 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Depending on the success of Cecil I think the Jays should be using this technique on all its prospects that are on the bubble like a McGuire or Jenkins, adding a few clicks would instantly boost the effectiveness of their stuff.
Was someone like McGuire's issue really velocity though? Not saying it wouldn't help. I thought he threw alright but just got hit really hard, maybe due to a lack of movement?

Old
02-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post

God help us all.
Dan Shulman will still be on at least.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:08 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

I actually like Griff, he's still a closet racist (but really, 95% of the media is so I can't even hold it against him) but he usually gets some good inside info.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:08 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
I actually like Griff, he's still a closet racist (but really, 95% of the media is so I can't even hold it against him) but he usually gets some good inside info.
Hilarious stuff.

OT: I am so excited for The Show this year, they've really honed in on the 'chise mode apparently. Their man priority is scouting and player progression, as well as dynamic budgets so small budget teams that have success with see large budgets over time. I just hope they increase the speed of RA's Knuckler, you can't get it anywhere near 80 or even high 70's in '12.

Quote:
Franchise Mode’s new budget system and player valuations: Low-budget teams can be rewarded with more dollars to spend on players and staff after finding a winning formula on the field. Teams possess individual “personalities” as well, which impact all facets of baseball operations. More on this via Sony:

“Furthermore, team-specific player valuations were also added in order to add personality to each team. These valuations are based on the team’s league, their home stadium and historical tendencies. These changes affect every facet of a team’s decision making process, from drafting, to promotions and demotions, to trade decisions and free agent acquisitions. In addition to these changes, the user can expect improved Player Generation and Career Progression, as well as new Scouting and Training systems.”

Big glove for catchers when knuckleballers pitch: It’s all about the fine details.
Found the last bit pretty funny

Last edited by ForzaZuffa: 02-12-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old
02-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:

God help us all.
He looks angry all the time. Intimidating!

02-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
The biggest thing is location, and RC is in a perfect location downtown, right by public transport, and they paid nothing for the place. For Rogers it makes no sense to spend money finding a place to put a new stadium and then all that money they'd have to pay to build it, because there's no way they'd be approved for public funding after paying peanuts for the Dome.

It's either pay $250-million to make the place better (outfield park, real grass, etc.) and improve an atmosphere that will already be pretty amazing given the on-field improvements to the club, or spend >$800-million finding another prime location and building a stadium that would have to be one of the better stadiums in the league to justify making the move in the first place.
Oh, I agree and understand the reality of it - I was just saying what i'd personally prefer (in some alternate dimension)

Old
02-12-2013, 11:27 AM
topched

Quote:
Oh, I agree and understand the reality of it - I was just saying what i'd personally prefer (in some alternate dimension)
I'm actually pretty happy with the RC er Skydome.

Its still realtively state of the art, with the retractable roof technology, the digital boards that were updated on the outfield walls and on the rim of the second deck. The food albeit overpriced is pretty good. From all accounts the clubhouses and innerworkings as far as the team goes is fantastic. There is a great history there too with the early 90's and WS wins. Location also can't get any better, especially for a guy like me from the burbs who often uses public transit to get in.

It seems to me that the consistent gripe about RC is that its an "eyesore". One of the main contributors to this is the concrete... this can't be fixed, its a nature of the beast when having a team up North. I know personally I'd much rather have to stare at the concrete around the building for 81 games a year then have to attend the home opener in 5 degree weather with cold rain or snow.

The other issue with the appearance is the turf. This is something that can and it seems will be changed. That will make a significant difference and put the RC on par with any other indoor stadium in the league... not to mention these supposed other renovations. Overall I think its a pretty great place to watch a game, or other event, especially into the fall/winter.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:

God help us all.
yeah caught him last night. Looks absolutely useless and horribly unnatural on tv. It's how I'm sure I'd look if I was talking on tv

Last edited by dredeye: 02-12-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 12:53 PM
MrLegend28

this guy is a clown. If he was the one talking about Melky and how hes an embarrassment to the Jays, and how AA did research about players declining after 50 game suspensions... yet still signed Melky lol. Whats that tell you RG?

I dont even know who he is but I wont be listening to him much.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:59 PM
MrLegend28

DBacks got "sirotka'd" as Keith Law put it.

Nick Piecoro ‏@nickpiecoro

Towers said the #Dbacks didn't do a physical exam of Gregorius before finalizing the deal to acquire him in December.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I don't like the idea of an open stadium with us potentially playing into the winter. The roof is a nice luxury. I think they'll work on not having it look so much like a concrete ring. I'm not exactly sure how they'd be able to accomplish it but I'm real pumped to see what a 250 million dollar face lift will look like. Just hoping they can accomplish a lot with that money. One thing I would like to see is in and out priveleges which wouldn't cost a cent. I never understood why they don't allow it. I use to be a heavy smoker and it held me back from going to games because 3 1/2 hours is a long time to go without a smoke.
If I'm not mistaken, there is a balcony overlooking Bremmer blvd. I've seen it used for the occasional promotion but have never investigated it since I'm in section 524 pretty much every game. I'm a smoker myself so I feel your pain.

Haven't been able to post too often, life is catching up with me. Indians with a couple nice free agent signings. Swish and Bourn are as consistent as they come.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:27 PM
tbone87

Did anyone get the pre-sale info for tomorrow from Inside Pitch? I signed up a while ago and haven't received anything yet.

Edit: Nevermind, just read on the Jays twitter feed that links are being sent out tomorrow morning at 10 am.

Last edited by tbone87: 02-12-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Shimso

Quote:

God help us all.
Its TSN. That means coverage of non-NHL/CFL sports is going to end up with RG asking Reyes if JVR should stay a winger or convert to centre.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:55 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
If I'm not mistaken, there is a balcony overlooking Bremmer blvd. I've seen it used for the occasional promotion but have never investigated it since I'm in section 524 pretty much every game. I'm a smoker myself so I feel your pain.

Haven't been able to post too often, life is catching up with me. Indians with a couple nice free agent signings. Swish and Bourn are as consistent as they come.
that's the old smoking section I believe. I think they can't use it because there's an overhang making it an illegal smoking area according to Ontario laws.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:14 AM
BlueAndWhite

Damn. Can't even get a single ticket to the home opener from the Blue Jays website. So much for it being an "Inside Pitch" member.

Time to get gouged on the secondary market.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:28 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite View Post
Damn. Can't even get a single ticket to the home opener from the Blue Jays website. So much for it being an "Inside Pitch" member.

Don't give up.

Try again on Friday... all these insider sales are b.s. to a degree. They only release a small block of tickets.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:34 AM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Don't give up.

Try again on Friday... all these insider sales are b.s. to a degree. They only release a small block of tickets.
Thanks.

Yeah, I'll try again on Friday. This has happened to me every year for like 6 years now when it comes to the home opener. Mind you, I always forget to try and get tickets from official means when they first become available, so I have no choice but to end up buying them from "elsewhere".

The one year I make it a point to be on top of things the Blue Jays are legitimate World Series contenders or maybe it's because they are World Series contenders that I made it a point.........

Anyway.....Go Jays!

Old
02-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite View Post

I only signed up to be a member to grab opening day tickets. No such luck.

I did grab a pair for the next night just in case, but I'll give it a go on Friday when tickets are fully released.

It makes sense that they wouldn't let the pre-salers buy up ALL of the opening day tickets, but c'mon, I was on right at 10am and there was nothing available. Give us a little something for opening day.

Closed Thread