HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Enough with the Montreal Media excuses

Old
07-07-2006, 09:01 AM
BJG

vCash: 500
Enough with the Montreal Media excuses

I've been reading this board for a few years now and this is my first post. I live in New York City, and know how savage New york sports writers can be (and usually are). Yet nobody ever says 'I don't want to play in New York, the media there is mean'. Elite players in all sports long for the attention and big stage. Do you think A-Rod would rather be playing in Kansas City because there would be fewer mics in his face after the game (in fact he wanted desperately to come to NY from Texas to get more exposure). Did Eli Manning ask for a trade after a rough rookie year because his feelings were hurt when he read the New York Post on Monday mornings. I refuse to believe that hockey players, especially Quebecois players, are thinner skinned than many of the prima donnas of the NBA, NFL or MLB. If players want to hide out in Calgary or Nashville because they can't handle the heat in Montreal, then we don't want them.

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
I've been reading this board for a few years now and this is my first post. I live in New York City, and know how savage New york sports writers can be (and usually are). Yet nobody ever says 'I don't want to play in New York, the media there is mean'. Elite players in all sports long for the attention and big stage. Do you think A-Rod would rather be playing in Kansas City because there would be fewer mics in his face after the game (in fact he wanted desperately to come to NY from Texas to get more exposure). Did Eli Manning ask for a trade after a rough rookie year because his feelings were hurt when he read the New York Post on Monday mornings. I refuse to believe that hockey players, especially Quebecois players, are thinner skinned than many of the prima donnas of the NBA, NFL or MLB. If players want to hide out in Calgary or Nashville because they can't handle the heat in Montreal, then we don't want them.
It seems it's more a combination of things than only the medias factor. But yet, give a player to choose between a winning team or not, and I hope the player will choose to win, if not, I don't care about him....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Cariboux

If a player can't support the media, damn, what will he do with the playoff pressure ?

Cariboux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:21 AM
JackieChan

Thing is, there aren't many Ovechkins out there....young guns craving for attention, who love the game....and the city of Montreal because of it's hockey history.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Haddock

Quote:
Why let facts get in the way of an emotionnal response?

OMG! The media are the reason why we didn't sign Elias, Chara and Arnott. Let's bomb Le Journal de Montréal and TQS!!! DDO forever!!!!1111

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:31 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Let's bomb Le Journal de Montréal and TQS!!! DDO forever!!!!1111
I would actually do it, and it has nothing to do with hockey coverage at all. They truly represent a threat to the population's intellect.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:59 AM
SOLR

Quote:
I think your comparing oranges and apples.

1) Baseball is a no cap sport.(So the yankess can get all the best players everytime they want)
2) NYC is the biggest sport market in the world.
3) Does the rangers get reconized in the street? Maybe Jagr, but beside that no. Fans still spot Oleg Petrov over here!
4) Compare the rangers to the habs, not the habs to the yankees, since the yankees are not in competition with the habs.
5) Montreal, Toronto are the 2 biggest hockey market imo, with big media pressure. So the Florida Panthers vs Montreal Habs is a valid argument.
6) Montreal media is special because its French, if you dont know the french culture its hard to understand. Plus in Quebec theres some political ramification to this culture.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:04 AM
BJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
I think your comparing oranges and apples.

1) Baseball is a no cap sport.(So the yankess can get all the best players everytime they want)
2) NYC is the biggest sport market in the world.
3) Does the rangers get reconized in the street? Maybe Jagr, but beside that no. Fans still spot Oleg Petrov over here!
4) Compare the rangers to the habs, not the habs to the yankees, since the yankees are not in competition with the habs.
5) Montreal, Toronto are the 2 biggest hockey market imo, with big media pressure. So the Florida Panthers vs Montreal Habs is a valid argument.
6) Montreal media is special because its French, if you dont know the french culture its hard to understand. Plus in Quebec theres some political ramification to this culture.
First off, I grew up in Montreal and am married to a Quebecoise from Rimouski, so I know about the politics and language issues. I think comparing the Yankees in NY is much more apt than to the Florida Panthers, for just that reason. A Yankee can't go anywhere here without fans, papparazzi, etc following them. I think the cap issue is also not valid; first off, people on this board have been saying that players who are offered the same money by the Habs and another city choose the other city, in part because of the media attention. Second thing, the NFL has a brutal cap and the best players want to play in the biggest media markets. As for the Francophone issue, it boggles my mind. Latino baseball players are flocking to play with the Mets, who have a large Latino fan base. I don't buy the idea that Francophone players run from the attention. Has so much changed in a couple of generations; I recall a few guys by the names of Richard, Beliveau, Lafleur, etc who seemed to be able to thrive in the spotlight of MTL. They didn't run crying to a smaller market because of media pressures.

Last edited by BJG: 07-07-2006 at 11:16 AM.
BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
First off, I grew up in Montreal and am married to a Quebecoise from Rimouski, so I know about the politics and language issues. I think comparing the Yankees in NY is much more apt than to the Florida Panthers, for just that reason. A Yankee can't go anywhere here without fans, papparazzi, etc following them. I think the cap issue is also not valid; first off, people on this board have been saying that players who are offered the same money by the Habs and another city choose the other city, in part because of the media attention. Second thing, the NFL has a brutal cap and the best players want to play in the biggest media markets. As for the Francophone issue, it boggles my mind. Latino baseball players are flocking to play with the Mets, who have a large Latino fan base. I don't buy the idea that Francophone players run from the attention. Has so much changed in a couple of generations; I recall a few guys by the names of Richard, Beliveau, Lafleur, etc who seemed to be able to thrive in the spotlight of MTL. They didn't run crying to a smaller market because of media pressures.
I gotta say I agree with you 100%... If anything the media in Montreal makes it more interesting to play here... The city loves the team, and the team is a heavy topic in the paper, where comments are taken very seriously by EVERYONE in the city... If a sports star doesnt like the media pressure... I agree I dont want them either then... cause come playoff time, all the pressure is gone from the dressing room and is all on the ice... They'll buckle if they're not strong minded...

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote