HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

It's time for Capuano to go

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2013, 08:52 PM
  #76
1 Timer
Registered User
 
1 Timer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Howell, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
These are not teenagers. They are professionals. Men.

How do you suggest calling them out? Through the media? Yelling like a bafoon on the bench? Not everyone is a rah rah coach. I agree that players should be held accountable but you do that in the lockerroom, which we are not privy to.

This is not a reality TV show.
I understand your point although without sounding over the top I have coached some pretty special teenagers. Part of this 3 game no show is the coaches fault because I do not think this team is bad. They are better than the last 3 games have shown. Every player in the NHL is a competitor, you donít make it there if youíre not. I was talking with Ian Laperriere and he told me when a rookie would come in to take his job he would intimidate, hit, and beat their will out of them.

So let me ask you this? Who wants it on this team? That is what Cappy has to find out and exploit. All coaches know that and so does he. Question is has he thrown the meat out on the table. IMO this team looks like there taking their fair share and not demanding more than the guy next to him. Not a good atmosphere for competition.

1 Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:12 PM
  #77
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,776
vCash: 500
One thing so many seem to be missing here...

The culture of losing that wang's ownership creates and permeates throughout the organization right down to the players. There's a reason why players OUTSIDE the Islanders don't want to play here.

Having a good coach matters and Capuano is certainly not a good one. However the phrase, "Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic," was created for ideas like thinking getting rid of him will create a winner here.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:15 PM
  #78
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
interesting points. While I don't think all of those are COACHING related issues, they are ones that can be addressed at a higher level (team-level) with a systematic approach by a quality coach. There's a reason why Hitch-coached teams have success and play a certain brand of hockey. Same for Torts.

They command certain behaviours out of players even if it's not in their comfort zone. So there's no "rob-schremp-hockey" and it's more prescriptive. You back-check or you don't play. You finish your checks, or you don't play.

Many are down on Streit but he's always played this way. He's always been bad defensively and streaky offensively. He had 1-2 overachieving years on the Islanders and now that he's back to what he always was, people want to get rid of him. Sorry, but I don't see a line of dmen ready to take his job. No-Streit is a GIGANTIC step backwards on this roster.

I'd love to see a real coach. But more than that, I'd like to see a few more NHLcaliber players, good ones.
Streit had one solid year. Every year after he sucked worse than an AHLer in the first half, then played significantly better the second half. If he does that this half a season, there is no next three months, there is golf. I hope he finds his A game but I wouldn't bet on it.

On coaching I don't think they will pay the money for a real coach, so we are only allowed ECHL scraps.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:55 PM
  #79
Rumcajs
Registered User
 
Rumcajs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,968
vCash: 500
Couldnt find a thread for this but why does Capuano have a black eye?

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:11 AM
  #80
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs
 
It Was 4 to 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bring Back Lavvy
Country: United States
Posts: 1,775
vCash: 500
beg ted nolan to come back

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:53 AM
  #81
steveat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,668
vCash: 500
Hire a Sutter! Any one of them will do!

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:27 AM
  #82
KyleBailey12
Registered User
 
KyleBailey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
Couldnt find a thread for this but why does Capuano have a black eye?
Puck deflected into the bench, caught him up high.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:12 PM
  #83
bigbren92
Registered User
 
bigbren92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
beg ted nolan to come back


I have been saying this since they day he was let go...

bigbren92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:11 PM
  #84
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,350
vCash: 500
Is there better out there?

Why do we have worse here?

Simple.


Who is the best coach out there?

Will we try for best or just better?

Simple.


This organization needs an enema.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:15 AM
  #85
LetsGoIslanders
Registered User
 
LetsGoIslanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,170
vCash: 500
We had a functioning 1st line, and decided not to give PA Parenteau a $4 million contract. We traded for Tim Thomas.

Now we get to watch Brad Boyes and Kyle Okposo shoot right into the goaltenders crest.

****!

LetsGoIslanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:24 AM
  #86
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,459
vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoIslanders View Post
We had a functioning 1st line, and decided not to give PA Parenteau a $4 million contract. We traded for Tim Thomas.

Now we get to watch Brad Boyes and Kyle Okposo shoot right into the goaltenders crest.

****!
THIS!!

I have been saying this all month long... Here is a guy (PAP) who earned his way and worked hard and produced not only on line 1 but on line 2. I know we wanted to give him 3 years but he wanted 4 years.. Big Deal Here ya go kid.. you earned it!

Couldnt we sign PAP and sign Boyes for 1 million also?? How many ****ING teams were vying for Brad Boyes?? Instead lets bring up journeyman Quadruple A players along with other waiver wire misfits. Then you wonder why we have NHL draft threads right from the start.

Garth is not a good GM... Capuano is a horrible coach and our owner is so FN Clueless as to how to run a team.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:49 AM
  #87
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoIslanders View Post
We had a functioning 1st line, and decided not to give PA Parenteau a $4 million contract. We traded for Tim Thomas.

Now we get to watch Brad Boyes and Kyle Okposo shoot right into the goaltenders crest.

****!

Perfect. Great point made here. And the reason we didn't sign PA for 4/million a year? Because the Isles would have HAD TO PAY PA 4 MILLION A YEAR!

With the Thomas contract they just get the cap hit WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY ONE DIME.

I don't care if you think Snow is a good GM or a bad GM. No GM wants to lose and every one of them answers to the guy who hired them. Snow has to know two things...
  1. He'll never win unless he gets to spend money
  2. This will be the only job as GM he'll ever have in the NHL

This move of constantly acquiring players with a higher cap hit than actual salary comes right from wang himself. Snow cannot question him. One only hopes that wang starts to spend money the closer we get to Brooklyn, but given wang's other forced moves like Yashin and DP's contracts, I don't even trust him when he tries to spend money.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:35 AM
  #88
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
beg ted nolan to come back
Why was he let go? He was doing a good job with what he had.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:55 AM
  #89
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 13,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoIslanders View Post
We had a functioning 1st line, and decided not to give PA Parenteau a $4 million contract. We traded for Tim Thomas.

Now we get to watch Brad Boyes and Kyle Okposo shoot right into the goaltenders crest.

****!
Not resigning PA is not Capuano's fault. That rests solely with Wang and Snow.

__________________
Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:27 PM
  #90
original islander
Registered User
 
original islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Why was he let go? He was doing a good job with what he had.
You're right that he did a good job with what he had and he is a good on ice strategist but when you look closer you see that he made the playoffs on the last day of the season with a veteran laden lineup and until the last month of the season a healthy DP. After the mass exodus of vets after his first year which included Blake, Viktor Kozlov, Tom Poti and late season acquisitions Ryan Smyth and Richard Zednick, the Isles finished out of the playoffs.

Why was he let go? Two reasons. His second year the team finished with the 5th worst record in the league with 79 points, ironically the same as Cappy last year and Scott Gordon in his second year. Basically no difference then Cappy. If you gave Cappy and the kids 3 competent vets he would probably make the playoffs too.

The second reason is by far the most important reason why he was let go and why he went so many years without a job and why Wang was the only fool to hire him- he undermines his GM. The first year he pretty much refused to play Robert Nillson and the second year wouldn't give ice time to Tambellini and Comeau. He only wants experienced players. He may be right but if your owner will not spend money there is absolutely nothing that a GM can do. Everybody that wants the GM and Coach to complain about the situation have forgotten what happened to Neil Smith and Pat Lafontaine. The reality is Charles tells Garth what he wants and Garth tells Cappy what to do. It's a chain of command.

There are other reasons why no one will even interview Nolan for a job in the NHL. He had a drinking problem when coaching Buffalo, he went to the owner in an attempt to get John Muckler the GM fired and there was a rumor that would not go away that he had an affair with the star player goalie Dominic Hasek's wife. To his credit Nolan was a class act on the Island (it was his idea to bring Arbour back for one game) and he interacted well with the players, fans and media. But ultimately he wanted experienced players that Garth couldn't and Wang wouldn't provide.

I'm not sure how to provide links but if you google Teddy Nolan rumors or Teddy Nolan Dominic Hasek you'll find everything you need to know.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:29 AM
  #91
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
You're right that he did a good job with what he had and he is a good on ice strategist but when you look closer you see that he made the playoffs on the last day of the season with a veteran laden lineup and until the last month of the season a healthy DP. After the mass exodus of vets after his first year which included Blake, Viktor Kozlov, Tom Poti and late season acquisitions Ryan Smyth and Richard Zednick, the Isles finished out of the playoffs.

Why was he let go? Two reasons. His second year the team finished with the 5th worst record in the league with 79 points, ironically the same as Cappy last year and Scott Gordon in his second year. Basically no difference then Cappy. If you gave Cappy and the kids 3 competent vets he would probably make the playoffs too.

The second reason is by far the most important reason why he was let go and why he went so many years without a job and why Wang was the only fool to hire him- he undermines his GM. The first year he pretty much refused to play Robert Nillson and the second year wouldn't give ice time to Tambellini and Comeau. He only wants experienced players. He may be right but if your owner will not spend money there is absolutely nothing that a GM can do. Everybody that wants the GM and Coach to complain about the situation have forgotten what happened to Neil Smith and Pat Lafontaine. The reality is Charles tells Garth what he wants and Garth tells Cappy what to do. It's a chain of command.

There are other reasons why no one will even interview Nolan for a job in the NHL. He had a drinking problem when coaching Buffalo, he went to the owner in an attempt to get John Muckler the GM fired and there was a rumor that would not go away that he had an affair with the star player goalie Dominic Hasek's wife. To his credit Nolan was a class act on the Island (it was his idea to bring Arbour back for one game) and he interacted well with the players, fans and media. But ultimately he wanted experienced players that Garth couldn't and Wang wouldn't provide.

I'm not sure how to provide links but if you google Teddy Nolan rumors or Teddy Nolan Dominic Hasek you'll find everything you need to know.
If you look up TOI stats, Nolan gave plenty of icetime to some kids and little t others. Favor vets? It was more like he favored success. Work. Effort. Comeau's best came under Nolan. Tambellini didn't do well under Nolan. The thing I see right away was that Comeau got results. His play was pretty good.

And look at Okposo's game under Nolan as brief as it was. His BEST hockey came then.


The Hasek thing....I think Buffalo fans thank him after what Hasek did to that team. You'll recall he demanded a trade and demanded the pricetag.


Alas, whoever was coaching, the one man who killed the Islanders and rubs our pride in manure every headline still owns the team and still shapes every facet.

So....the point is moot until Wang sells or gets electrocuted or caught with a stolen 39 jersey and fishnets somewhere. We're not gonna be run well even with Al Arbour running the bench. We'll just have a better record and sell all the improved talent for cap evasion.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:44 AM
  #92
steveat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,668
vCash: 500
Do you think we will ever get rid of Cappy? I can't see that we will. He's a figurehead to everything soundtigers and he comes cheap. Unless he has a less than 50 point season..I really cannot see us looking for a future coach.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:18 AM
  #93
VAIsles
Mickey Mouse FO Yay!
 
VAIsles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SELL Wang! SnowBLOWS
Country: United States
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
Crappy shows no fire and is the worst coach when it comes to pulling the goalie strategy. He should be fired! But, the real problem is the Snowag tandem. For the life of me, I hope Wang sells either before the move to Brooklyn or soon into the move. Once that domino falls Snow is cooked and a real hockey ops is hired. I am not thankful to Wang for keeping the Isles in town when he took over years back. He is the WORST owner in professional sports

VAIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:20 PM
  #94
iLandHer
Registered User
 
iLandHer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,214
vCash: 500
The problem with Capuano is that his strategies are just bland and designed for younger/low hockey IQ players, I think anyway. His forecheck is the same I run with kids I've coached who are 13-15 years old and it's not incredibly difficult to beat. In order for it to work you need players who are willing to get into the dirty areas and grind it out. Most of the players the Isles currently have do not like the physical side of the game and it seems we get caught on too many odd man rushes because of some players hesitating (I'm looking at you Grabner).

We need a better coaching system now that we have some players in place, something that will challenge a player like Tavares but also play into the skill set that the team currently has or would like to become. The baby system that is installed right now was a nice introduction course to the NHL, but I think the team needs to take another step.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:24 PM
  #95
Doshell Propivo
Registered User
 
Doshell Propivo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
The problem with Capuano is that his strategies are just bland and designed for younger/low hockey IQ players, I think anyway. His forecheck is the same I run with kids I've coached who are 13-15 years old and it's not incredibly difficult to beat. In order for it to work you need players who are willing to get into the dirty areas and grind it out. Most of the players the Isles currently have do not like the physical side of the game and it seems we get caught on too many odd man rushes because of some players hesitating (I'm looking at you Grabner).

We need a better coaching system now that we have some players in place, something that will challenge a player like Tavares but also play into the skill set that the team currently has or would like to become. The baby system that is installed right now was a nice introduction course to the NHL, but I think the team needs to take another step.
In order to take another step they need to ice an NHL caliber team. Who coaches this team right now is irrelevant. Capuano may or may not be a legit NHL coach, but there are far bigger problems with this team then who is behind the bench.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:46 PM
  #96
iLandHer
Registered User
 
iLandHer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
In order to take another step they need to ice an NHL caliber team. Who coaches this team right now is irrelevant. Capuano may or may not be a legit NHL coach, but there are far bigger problems with this team then who is behind the bench.
I agree that there are other issues with the team, but coaches certainly do matter, even with a lack of talent on the roster. I'm not suggesting getting rid of Capuano would immediately fix problems, but I do think that he's just about run his course here with this team and the next step needs to be taken from both a coaching standpoint as well as the team.

Hopefully Brooklyn is more appealing to players than LI is/was and we can actually get some players, though I'm a doubter.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:54 PM
  #97
CDirt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
Cappy deserves to get fired not because his team loses but because of the lazy disinterested play he's getting from hit troops. Blame talent till the cows come home but even with that this team is still talented enough to win most games they show up for.

Problem is that they don't show up.

OTOH I don't entirely think JT and Hamonic's frustration lies entirely with Cappy although I'm sure they have a few things to offer. I think it has more to do with the other guys in the room.

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:08 PM
  #98
lacunacoil777
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
I have no idea why people keep saying free agents will be eager to sign to play in Brooklyn. THe reason they dont sign with the islanders is because Wang backloads contracts when other teams front load them, wang has the lowest payroll so players know that they will be in last place every year, and players agents tell the players that they will always give dipietro games no matter how lousy he plays. Also brookly is a pain in the axx to drive to for the wifes of the players when they go to the games asuming they live on Long Island.

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:16 PM
  #99
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,841
vCash: 500
about the whole Nolan & playing vets vs kids. Why is Nolan fired because he won't play a kid, but Capuano isn't fired because he wouldn't play Nino last year? Just food for thought.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:18 PM
  #100
supeez
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 252
vCash: 500
4 power plays for....
Perfect on the PK....
Win at the face-off dot....
Out hit your opponent....
You gotta be kidding me that they lose this game!!!! The man must go or you are going to lose guys like JT and Hamonic for good!!!! Not only fire him but replace him with a quality Head coach!!!!

supeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.