HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Brooks: NHL & NHLPA to meet on realignment

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2013, 09:12 PM
  #201
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
So then, are you convinced that QC and Markham/Hamilton will both get teams by roughly 2016 (relocation or expansion, whatever) and that one of those teams will go in with the current Atlantic Division group?
I think the NHL would prefer to put 1 in QCY, and 1 in the Western US (KCY/SEA), and keep PHX (PHX/KCY/SEA) in the western US, which would prompt a NSH or CLB to the Atlantic move.

If we get MAR/QCY and one of SEA/KCY/PHX, then I believe the Sabres or Bruins will join the Atlantic.

MountainHawk is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 09:15 PM
  #202
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grudy0 View Post
Clearing up some misconceptions:The East-West split wasn't present in the NHL-approved realignment.
Oh yes it was! They had the 4-Conferences and that games against plan just as you describe. But there still remained that same dividing line between the eastern Conferences and the two western conferences (even if they weren't referred to in that way). That dividing line could've been accidental, but by maintaining it it will make the reversion back to a 2-Conference, East-West format, simple to do. Otherwise, if they're truly abandoning the East-West split, that would allow for more flexibility in aligning those 3 eastern Divisions/Conferences.

MoreOrr is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 09:20 PM
  #203
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I think the NHL would prefer to put 1 in QCY, and 1 in the Western US (KCY/SEA), and keep PHX (PHX/KCY/SEA) in the western US, which would prompt a NSH or CLB to the Atlantic move.

If we get MAR/QCY and one of SEA/KCY/PHX, then I believe the Sabres or Bruins will join the Atlantic.
Fine, but just allow me to take that speculation one step further...
So, if it's the first option then why not have put Columbus or Nashville in an eastern Division to begin with, rather than leaving both eastern Divisions with only 7 teams each?

And the second option happens, DO you REALLY think that those current NE teams will willingly let either Buffalo or Boston be removed from the Division while making room for Florida and Tampa Bay? Do you seriously believe that?


There are flaws written all over that proposed realignment, regardless of whether there is one new team in the west and one in the east, or both new teams in the east. It was a rush job, to fix a fear about QC coming. And it got expanding into addressing some issues that other teams have about alignment. And a rush job that the PA in the end didn't even feel comfortable with, in part because supposedly the owners couldn't even give the PA all the details it wanted about how scheduling might look.


Last edited by MoreOrr: 02-11-2013 at 09:27 PM.
MoreOrr is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 09:23 PM
  #204
saskganesh
Registered User
 
saskganesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the Annex
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dawg View Post
There aren't 32 cities in North America that can support NHL hockey. That is a major problem. Heck, even 30 is a stretch.

We're also reaching the point of Canadian saturation as far as TV is concerned. The last thing the American networks want is even more Canadian teams. I think it's Quebec or Markham, not both. Quebec might be a lock, but 8 Canadian teams is probably the absolute maximum.
I don't think # of Canadian franchises affects the NBC deal, as they concentrate their broadcast coverage on only about 8 American teams, all mostly in the north east. Moving forward, the value of sports broadcasting will likely continue to increase as live sports remains one of the few "appointment" programs of value to a national network. The networks need those eyeballs.

When the Canadian deals are renegotiated soon their $ collective value will very likely increase as well. TSN+CBC+RDS > than NBC imo. And that's shared money, good for every franchise in the league.

Barring massive social and economic changes, the broadcast future for hockey looks strong on both sides of the border.

saskganesh is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 09:31 PM
  #205
Grudy0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 1,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Oh yes it was! They had the 4-Conferences and that games against plan just as you describe. But there still remained that same dividing line between the eastern Conferences and the two western conferences (even if they weren't referred to in that way). That dividing line could've been accidental, but by maintaining it it will make the reversion back to a 2-Conference, East-West format, simple to do. Otherwise, if they're truly abandoning the East-West split, that would allow for more flexibility in aligning those 3 eastern Divisions/Conferences.
Allow me to reiterate...

If the NHLPA approved the NHL-approved realignment plan, the NHL would still have needed to amend the by-laws in order to fix the third round. If the third round was a 1-4 seeding, then the "Eastern Conference" and "Western Conference" would cease to exist, and there'd just be four conferences. If the bracket was fixed so that the so-called Central Conference always met the so-called Far West Conference, then perhaps you have a point.

However, as I've seen the quotes from Fehr, I have to believe that the NHLPA is going to get their way, which will be very similar to the current playoff qualification: top eight in each of two conferences. That by itself changes the dynamic from the NHL-approved realignment.

The only way the NHLPA approves a realignment is if the odds to make the playoffs are the same for every team. The current NHL-approved alignment will need to be shelved, or modified so that something of substance passes the odds test.

Grudy0 is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 09:34 PM
  #206
coolboarder
Registered User
 
coolboarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 369
vCash: 500
When I took a second look at the map with the colorful realignment map, I thought, why not play with the map and see what I have got. At first, I tried to do with 5 teams division, and 4 teams division but when I got to 3 teams division, it is much better to go with 3 teams division. Let me explain: With the 3 team division, set-up, you could easily group the divisions with the game breakdown:

Divisional game: 2 teams x 8 games = 16 games
Conference games: 12 teams x 3 games = 36 games
Interconference games: 15 teams x 2 games = 30 games
Total games: 82 games

Conference when Phoenix is relocated to Quebec City

Western Conference

Northwest Divison: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary
Pacific Division: LA, Anaheim, San Jose
Midwest Division: Colorado, Minnesota, Winnipeg
Central Division: St. Louis, Dallas, Nashville
West Great Lakes Division: Chicago, Detroit, Columbus

Eastern Conference

East Great Lakes Division: Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo
Northeast Division: Montreal, Quebec City, Boston
New York Division: NY Rangers, NY Islanders, New Jersey
Mid Atlantic Division: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington
Southeast Division: Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida

Comment: teams aren't happy but better compromise with main rivalry intact. Dallas gets it better deal with better travel in the division and majority of the east rivalry is kept and Quebec City is added to Northeast Division with Montreal and Boston.

Realignment with Phoenix staying

Western Conference

Northwest Division: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary
Pacific Division: LA, Anaheim, San Jose
Southwest Division: Colorado, Dallas, Phoenix
Central Division: St. Louis, Columbus, Nashville
Midwest Division: Chicago, Minnesota, Winnipeg

Eastern Conference

Great Lakes Division: Toronto, Detroit, Buffalo
Northeast Division: Montreal, Ottawa, Boston
New York Division: NY Rangers, NY Islanders, New Jersey
Mid Atlantic Division: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington
Southeast Division: Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida

Comment: Detroit getting the first dibs of moving to the east as promised years ago. The main rivalries kept intact. Detroit playing in the east and regain the rivalry with Toronto. Dallas probably isn't happy with the division set-up but is better than going to California but plays in Phoenix instead with only one hour difference. Chicago will miss Detroit a lot. Columbus is the only loser out of this arrangement.

coolboarder is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 09:37 PM
  #207
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grudy0 View Post
Allow me to reiterate...

If the NHLPA approved the NHL-approved realignment plan, the NHL would still have needed to amend the by-laws in order to fix the third round. If the third round was a 1-4 seeding, then the "Eastern Conference" and "Western Conference" would cease to exist, and there'd just be four conferences. If the bracket was fixed so that the so-called Central Conference always met the so-called Far West Conference, then perhaps you have a point.

However, as I've seen the quotes from Fehr, I have to believe that the NHLPA is going to get their way, which will be very similar to the current playoff qualification: top eight in each of two conferences. That by itself changes the dynamic from the NHL-approved realignment.

The only way the NHLPA approves a realignment is if the odds to make the playoffs are the same for every team. The current NHL-approved alignment will need to be shelved, or modified so that something of substance passes the odds test.
And my point was, that the 4-Conference alignment was done in such a way that it easily allows for either a continuation or a return to the East-West split. If the League truly was abandoning that format then other 4-Conference alignment options were available.

And top-8 in the two Conferences, if that's what the NHLPA wants... Yippy!

MoreOrr is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 09:40 PM
  #208
PanthersHockey1
The Ring of Fire
 
PanthersHockey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Palm Trees
Country: United States
Posts: 6,449
vCash: 500
Not sure why many here are mistaking realignment as a token for relocation and expansion?

PanthersHockey1 is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 09:57 PM
  #209
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
And my point was, that the 4-Conference alignment was done in such a way that it easily allows for either a continuation or a return to the East-West split. If the League truly was abandoning that format then other 4-Conference alignment options were available.

And top-8 in the two Conferences, if that's what the NHLPA wants... Yippy!
What is so wrong about each team having a mathematically equal chance at making the playoffs. That would be a fair system. Why does the west have to make all of the compromises? They could put 16 current teams in the east and they'd all be in the same time zone. Why is it set up so the eastern teams have an easier go at making the playoffs?

silvercanuck is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 10:01 PM
  #210
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,324
vCash: 500
I want to repost the following from the previous thread. Many of us have debated and argued time and time again about which teams should be in a Division together; and ultimately the argument is endless. But what should be established as a minimum is what teams should NOT be in a Division together...

Quote:
The formula used here considers Time Zones and distance. Choosing teams that shouldn't be grouped together if there is more than 1 Time Zone difference; and also using 1/2 the distance of that between the two most distant teams in the League (Vancouver and Florida = 4470km) as a rough cut off figure between which teams are too distant to be grouped together and which teams aren't too distant. Then extending that distance figure to include at least 10 teams in the League, for each team, that would be unreasonably distant to be grouped with in a Division.
* Because of their relative geographic location, 3 teams have their minimum exclusion list at less than the 10-team minimum: Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Carolina, with 8, 8, and 9 team exclusions respectively.

Here is the list, for each of the teams in the League, of which teams should Not be in their Division (teams in Blue are listed because those teams have that respective team one their list):

*(Condensed version, by request, combining teams that have the same list)

Teams that shouldn’t be in a Division with…
Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Vancouver:
The whole ETZ and the Whole CTZ
Phoenix:
The Whole ETZ, plus Nashville, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Chicago, St Louis
Colorado:
The Whole ETZ
Calgary, Edmonton:
The Whole ETZ, plus Nashville, Dallas, St Louis, Chicago
Dallas:
The Whole PTZ, plus Edmonton, Calgary, Boston, Montreal, Ottawa, NY Rangers, NY Islanders, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Toronto, Buffalo, Washington
St Louis, Nashville:
The Whole PTZ, plus Edmonton, Calgary, Phoenix
Chicago:
The Whole PTZ, plus Phoenix, Edmonton, Calgary, Florida, Tampa Bay
Minnesota:
The Whole PTZ, plus Florida, Tampa Bay, Phoenix, Boston
Winnipeg:
The Whole PTZ, plus Florida, Tampa Bay, Phoenix, Boston, Carolina, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Washington
Columbus, Pittsburgh:
The Whole PTZ and the Whole MTZ
Detroit:
The Whole PTZ and the Whole MTZ, plus Florida, Tampa Bay
Florida, Tampa Bay:
The Whole PTZ and the Whole MTZ, plus Winnipeg, Minnesota, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago
Carolina:
The Whole PTZ and the Whole MTZ, plus Winnipeg
Washington, Philadelphia, New Jersey, NY Rangers, NY Islanders:
The Whole PTZ and the Whole MTZ, plus Dallas, Winnipeg
Buffalo, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal:
The Whole PTZ and the Whole MTZ, plus Dallas, Florida, Tampa Bay
Boston:
The Whole PTZ and the Whole MTZ, plus Dallas, Winnipeg, Minnesota

Quote:
Looking at those 12 teams which are most limited with respect to which teams they can logically geographically be aligned with:
Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Vancouver, Phoenix, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado, Dallas, Florida, Tampa Bay, and Winnipeg.

Anaheim and Los Angeles have these options:
San Jose
Vancouver
Phoenix
Colorado
Calgary, Edmonton
(The same group of 8 teams for San Jose and Vancouver)
(Phoenix has also the same 8 plus Dallas)

Edmonton and Calgary have these options:
Colorado
Phoenix
Vancouver
Winnipeg
Minnesota
San Jose
Los Angeles, Anaheim

Florida and Tampa Bay have these options:
Carolina
Washington
Philadelphia
New Jersey, NY Rangers, NY Islanders
Boston
Pittsburgh
Columbus
Nashville
Dallas
St Louis

Colorado has these options:
Phoenix
Calgary, Edmonton
Dallas
Minnesota
Winnipeg
Anaheim, Los Angeles
St Louis
San Jose
Chicago
Nashville
Vancouver

Dallas has these options:
St Louis
Nashville
Chicago
Minnesota
Winnipeg
Colorado
Phoenix
Tampa Bay, Florida
Carolina
Columbus
Detroit
Pittsburgh

Winnipeg has these options:
Minnesota
Chicago
St Louis
Nashville
Dallas
Calgary, Edmonton
Colorado
Detroit
Toronto
Columbus
Buffalo
Ottawa
Montreal
Pittsburgh


Now two more lists, a bit less limited...

Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, and Buffalo all have the same options:
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Boston
NY Rangers, NY Islanders, New Jersey
Philadelphia
Washington
Columbus
Carolina
Nashville
Chicago
St Louis
Minnesota
Winnipeg

Boston has these options:
NY Rangers, NY Islanders, New Jersey
Philadelphia
Montreal
Ottawa
Buffalo
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Washington
Detroit
Columbus
Carolina
Florida, Tampa Bay
Nashville
Chicago
St Louis


Last edited by MoreOrr: 02-11-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Condensed
MoreOrr is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 10:03 PM
  #211
Grudy0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 1,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
And my point was, that the 4-Conference alignment was done in such a way that it easily allows for either a continuation or a return to the East-West split. If the League truly was abandoning that format then other 4-Conference alignment options were available.
Not really. I mean, they were available, but...

The Northeast was intact.
The Atlantic was intact.
The Pacific was intact, minus Dallas which had no business being there.
The Northwest was intact, minus Minnesota which had no business being there.
The Central welcomed those outliers from the prior two divisions which merged.

The Southeast was blown up.

Make many more changes than that, and the rest of the League would have most likely voted no.

Meanwhile, let's go back to my preferred alignment:
The Northeast was intact.
The Atlantic was intact.
The Pacific was intact, minus Dallas which had no business being there.
The Northwest was intact, minus Minnesota which had no business being there.
The Central welcomed those outliers from the prior two divisions which merged.

The Southeast was blown up.

But...
Except that my Northeast included Carolina and Columbus.
Except that my Atlantic included Washington, Florida and Tampa Bay.
Except I have the Atlantic and Northeast Divisons in the Eastern Conference.
Except I have the Central and Pacific Divisions in the Western Conference.

And I have a top-eight qualification, with divisional playoffs and possible crossover within the conference if qualification is 5 in one division and 3 in the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
And top-8 in the two Conferences, if that's what the NHLPA wants... Yippy!
And that's where you and I are in complete agreement. I didn't particularly care for strict Divisional Playoffs as I felt some of the most exciting hockey was played during the last two weeks of the season. Qualfiying for the playoffs is almost a playoff-like atmosphere, and strict divisonal (or as the NHL states, conference) qualification would have reduced the last two weeks of the season to a placeholder.

Grudy0 is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 10:04 PM
  #212
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
What is so wrong about each team having a mathematically equal chance at making the playoffs. That would be a fair system. Why does the west have to make all of the compromises? They could put 16 current teams in the east and they'd all be in the same time zone. Why is it set up so the eastern teams have an easier go at making the playoffs?
Because the eastern Teams are the teams the NHL wants to market. You guys play when everyone else is asleep.

Melrose Munch is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 10:33 PM
  #213
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Because the eastern Teams are the teams the NHL wants to market. You guys play when everyone else is asleep.
[mod edit] The eastern clubs play when we're driving home from work. Why don't they put Detroit and Columbus in the east then? They're located in the eastern time zone.


Last edited by Dado: 02-11-2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Personal digs, no-no.
silvercanuck is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 10:37 PM
  #214
HugoSimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
I want to repost the following from the previous thread. Many of us have debated and argued time and time again about which teams should be in a Division together; and ultimately the argument is endless. But what should be established as a minimum is what teams should NOT be in a Division together...
No offense or anything but the list falls under the TLDR tag.

I went through it to be honest, and it`s too detailed to overwhelming, and many of them are obvious, such as the east not being in the pacific, I`d love to see a shortened list.

HugoSimon is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 10:40 PM
  #215
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
I love your arrogance. The eastern clubs play when we're driving home from work. Why don't they put Detroit and Columbus in the east then? They're located in the eastern time zone.
I'm honestly not. I was in NYC and that's what an official told me. Dead serious. That's why detroit and columbus are trying to move east.

Melrose Munch is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 10:50 PM
  #216
HugoSimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
[mod edit] The eastern clubs play when we're driving home from work. Why don't they put Detroit and Columbus in the east then? They're located in the eastern time zone.
Problem is the western market is so much smaller of a market.

An 8 pm eastern game will get as wide audience as possible.

Also there`s 2.25 million of us in atlantic canada, that are 1 hour ahead of the east which makes the whole thing an even bigger pain for us. And remember 2.25 in our numbers is greater than the state of texas.


Last edited by HugoSimon: 02-11-2013 at 10:55 PM.
HugoSimon is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 10:54 PM
  #217
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoSimon View Post
No offense or anything but the list falls under the TLDR tag.

I went through it to be honest, and it`s too detailed to overwhelming, and many of them are obvious, such as the east not being in the pacific, I`d love to see a shortened list.
Done! Check it again.

MoreOrr is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 10:58 PM
  #218
HugoSimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
When I took a second look at the map with the colorful realignment map, I thought, why not play with the map and see what I have got. At first, I tried to do with 5 teams division, and 4 teams division but when I got to 3 teams division, it is much better to go with 3 teams division. Let me explain: With the 3 team division, set-up, you could easily group the divisions with the game breakdown:

Divisional game: 2 teams x 8 games = 16 games
Conference games: 12 teams x 3 games = 36 games
Interconference games: 15 teams x 2 games = 30 games
Total games: 82 games

Conference when Phoenix is relocated to Quebec City

Western Conference

Northwest Divison: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary
Pacific Division: LA, Anaheim, San Jose
Midwest Division: Colorado, Minnesota, Winnipeg
Central Division: St. Louis, Dallas, Nashville
West Great Lakes Division: Chicago, Detroit, Columbus

Eastern Conference

East Great Lakes Division: Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo
Northeast Division: Montreal, Quebec City, Boston
New York Division: NY Rangers, NY Islanders, New Jersey
Mid Atlantic Division: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington
Southeast Division: Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida

Comment: teams aren't happy but better compromise with main rivalry intact. Dallas gets it better deal with better travel in the division and majority of the east rivalry is kept and Quebec City is added to Northeast Division with Montreal and Boston.

Realignment with Phoenix staying

Western Conference

Northwest Division: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary
Pacific Division: LA, Anaheim, San Jose
Southwest Division: Colorado, Dallas, Phoenix
Central Division: St. Louis, Columbus, Nashville
Midwest Division: Chicago, Minnesota, Winnipeg

Eastern Conference

Great Lakes Division: Toronto, Detroit, Buffalo
Northeast Division: Montreal, Ottawa, Boston
New York Division: NY Rangers, NY Islanders, New Jersey
Mid Atlantic Division: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington
Southeast Division: Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida

Comment: Detroit getting the first dibs of moving to the east as promised years ago. The main rivalries kept intact. Detroit playing in the east and regain the rivalry with Toronto. Dallas probably isn't happy with the division set-up but is better than going to California but plays in Phoenix instead with only one hour difference. Chicago will miss Detroit a lot. Columbus is the only loser out of this arrangement.
Love this it`s perfect.

It`s the best of my 5 conference 6 team idea.

It covers the issue you have with so many 3 way rivalries.

It keeps the conference of nothing(the south) from being an issue.

It lays conditions for a better mix of conference to conference games.

Best of all it gaurente`s nearly everyone an easy rivalry with teams that are actually relavent and local.

The only thing I would change is have a extra round of games in division pairings.


Than your midwest(winnipeg) would get paired with (toronto`s)


Last edited by HugoSimon: 02-11-2013 at 11:04 PM.
HugoSimon is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 10:58 PM
  #219
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoSimon View Post
Problem is the western market is so much smaller of a market.

An 8 pm eastern game will get as wide audience as possible.

Also there`s 2.25 million of us in atlantic canada, that are 1 hour ahead of the east which makes the whole thing an even bigger pain for us. And remember 2.25 in our numbers is greater than the state of texas.
The true argument is a real explanation for why the League should have east and west, north and south in both Conferences, to give real balance. But trying to get the East to allow that is virtually impossible.

MoreOrr is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 11:26 PM
  #220
HugoSimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post

Divisional game: 2 teams x 8 games = 16 games
Conference games: 12 teams x 3 games = 36 games
Interconference games: 15 teams x 2 games = 30 games
Total games: 82 games


Western Conference

Northwest Divison: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary
Pacific Division: LA, Anaheim, San Jose
Midwest Division: Colorado, Minnesota, Winnipeg
Central Division: St. Louis, Dallas, Nashville
West Great Lakes Division: Chicago, Detroit, Columbus

Eastern Conference

East Great Lakes Division: Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo
Northeast Division: Montreal, Quebec City, Boston
New York Division: NY Rangers, NY Islanders, New Jersey
Mid Atlantic Division: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington
Southeast Division: Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida
I`m gonna assume Quebec moves otherwise something this drastic won`t be considered.
I would subtract a round of conference games(as they do places like detroit no benefit). Also you`d have an odd number of home and away games.

Divisional game: 2 teams x 8 games = 16 games
Conference games: 12 teams x 2 games = 24 games
Interconference games: 15 teams x 2 games = 30 games
Inter divisional crossover for 3 teams x 4 games = 12 games
Total games: 82 games

So where do we get the extra 12 games.


Unlike conference crossover only divisions are crossed. So teams like vancouver aren`t forced to be playing an extra round in new york on behalf of detroit.

So you`d match division pairs independent of their conference.
Pair 1
Northwest Divison: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary
Pacific Division: LA, Anaheim, San Jose
Pair 2
Midwest Division: Colorado, Minnesota, Winnipeg
Central Division: St. Louis, Dallas, Nashville
Pair 3
West Great Lakes Division: Chicago, Detroit, Columbus
East Great Lakes Division: Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo
Pair 4
Northeast Division: Montreal, Quebec City, Boston
New York Division: NY Rangers, NY Islanders, New Jersey
Pair 5
Mid Atlantic Division: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington
Southeast Division: Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida

Of course you do a different matching nearly every year, the real key keeping those western teams from having to come all the way east.


Last edited by HugoSimon: 02-11-2013 at 11:33 PM.
HugoSimon is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 11:46 PM
  #221
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ϶(o)ϵ
Posts: 31,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I lived in the NYC/PHI area for 25 years, and there wasn't any kind of snowbird travel like there is from Canada. There are entire towns in Florida that almost become French speaking for several months a year.

There won't be another proposal that protects the rivalries of the teams, works out the time zone issues, and is ready for pretty much any expansion (other than a double expansion to Eastern Canada, where a NE team would have to move).

It was brilliant.
You're contending that most of the snowbird travel to Florida is Canadian now?

Hey, I own a house there and my parents live there. There a ton of upstate NY'ers, Torontonians, Chicago/MI/Ohio crowd, not to mention the NYC-Boston corridor.

I've said I don't put much value into current rivalries. These shouldn't be part of the consideration.

It was ridiculous.

Fugu is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 11:48 PM
  #222
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ϶(o)ϵ
Posts: 31,654
vCash: 500
Anyway, lost in all the hypothetical alignments is what the NHLPA wants out of this, and I like what I'm reading:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s-realignment/
Quote:
Chimera said that the NHLPA’s biggest goal is to get a travel schedule that is as balanced as possible for all teams.

“Especially in the West, I played in the West for a bit there. In Columbus it seemed like you were jumping time zones every time. East, you don’t get that as much,” Chimera said. “It’s almost ridiculous how much some teams travel way more than others, so you want to get that – the league is so strong now, every game is such a big game and you want to have that competitive balance. And you don’t want to have one team have an advantage just because of travel.”

While it’s unknown how realignment will ultimately play out, it seems likely that Winnipeg, which is playing its second year in the Southeast Division, will shift into a conference or division with more Western teams. It’s also possible that teams that have long lobbied for more games in the Eastern Time Zone, like Detroit, Columbus or Nashville, could get their wish.
It seems if you get more of a competitive balance, the second item will be taken care of as well.

Fugu is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:32 AM
  #223
MartysBetterThanYou
Registered User
 
MartysBetterThanYou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoSimon View Post
Love this it`s perfect.

It`s the best of my 5 conference 6 team idea.

It covers the issue you have with so many 3 way rivalries.

It keeps the conference of nothing(the south) from being an issue.

It lays conditions for a better mix of conference to conference games.

Best of all it gaurente`s nearly everyone an easy rivalry with teams that are actually relavent and local.

The only thing I would change is have a extra round of games in division pairings.


Than your midwest(winnipeg) would get paired with (toronto`s)
Change the "New York Division" to the "Metropolitan Division" and I would be fine with this. It's a matter of fairness to the Devils that the Division not be called "New York"

MartysBetterThanYou is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:38 AM
  #224
HugoSimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
Change the "New York Division" to the "Metropolitan Division" and I would be fine with this. It's a matter of fairness to the Devils that the Division not be called "New York"
Meh if they want into the new york metro pairing so bad they better take the dam names

But anyways, as I pointed out in another thread, it don't matter how you do alignment,the idea can be done with any combination.


Last edited by HugoSimon: 02-12-2013 at 01:44 AM.
HugoSimon is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 02:01 AM
  #225
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,315
vCash: 500
The league tried 8 games against divisional opponents in 2005 and everyone hated it. The fans want more variety.

silvercanuck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.