HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Holzer over Schenn

Old
02-11-2013, 10:20 AM
G51 K81*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
So you're saying there are impatient fans everywhere?

I'd still take OEL in that draft over Schenn and Kadri.
Well, the bigger story was we wanted Schenn over Kadri originally.

And yeah, I'd obviously take OEL over both.

G51 K81* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:21 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Keep in mind that if Brayden is playing in the Flyers top 6, he's likely facing tougher competition from the opposing team. But whatever the case is, I'm glad we have enough forwards that don't require the Leafs to force Kadri (and Frattin) in a top 6 role too soon. I'm even happier that we have a coach that recognizes how to use their talents efficiently.
Carlyle seems like a very hard working coach. I suppose after a few years you either get used to it or tired of it.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Atomos2
The Center of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
I'd love to sit Liles and put Gunnar in. Liles has not been good at all.
I've gotta disagree with you there. Do you remember the powerplay passing play during the Habs game where he did this sic passing play with Grabovski and just passed it over Komarov's stick which would have been a guarenteed goal. He has been a lot better this year than the end of last year. Plus the presence on the pp is better with Liles than Gunnar.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:41 AM
G51 K81*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
I've gotta disagree with you there. Do you remember the powerplay passing play during the Habs game where he did this sic passing play with Grabovski and just passed it over Komarov's stick which would have been a guarenteed goal. He has been a lot better this year than the end of last year. Plus the presence on the pp is better with Liles than Gunnar.
Yeah I agree, Liles has been great. He also has a very underrated defensive game.

G51 K81* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Atomos2
The Center of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
Speaking of Brayden, Kadri has outplayed him by a mile. Surprised there isn't some thread like Kadri > B. Schenn. Was in the Flyers GT thread the other day and fans were laying into Brayden about playing "another" bad game.
B. Schenn has been getting better recently. He's only one point behind Kadri in the points column and has a lot more hits. I'd say they are both even right now.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:02 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Keep in mind that if Brayden is playing in the Flyers top 6, he's likely facing tougher competition from the opposing team. But whatever the case is, I'm glad we have enough forwards that don't require the Leafs to force Kadri (and Frattin) in a top 6 role too soon. I'm even happier that we have a coach that recognizes how to use their talents efficiently.
Schenn's not actually playing in the top-6.

He's been their 3rd line centre getting about 14-15 minutes per game, just like Kadri.

Giroux and Couturier have been their #1 and #2 guys, averaging 18-20 minutes per game.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:19 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
So you're saying there are impatient fans everywhere?

I'd still take OEL in that draft over Schenn and Kadri.
Other then Tavares, I don't theres another player in the draft you'd take over OEL.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:13 PM
MoeMoney

Who's OEL?

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:29 PM
JimLaheyprobert

Does anybody kinda get the trend here, its not just a coincidence that every d that has been called up has played well, they are playing in a whole new system that is defense first, its not ron wilsons run and gun system were your guys leave your d out to dry alot. I personally love this system and i bet luke schenn would shine in this type of system just like fraser, holzer, kostka and every other leaf d is.

JimLaheyprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:34 PM
ITM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMoney View Post
Who's OEL?
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Jerkini

Holzer is bigger, faster, and meaner than Luke Schenn.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
B. Schenn has been getting better recently. He's only one point behind Kadri in the points column and has a lot more hits. I'd say they are both even right now.
Kadri: 13gp, 3g, 8as, 11pt, 0.84ppg, plus/minus +5

B.Schenn: 12gp, 2g, 6as, 8pts, 0.67ppg, plus/minus +3

So yes they are both close, but kadri definitely has the edge.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:52 PM
JimLaheyprobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Holzer is bigger, faster, and meaner than Luke Schenn.
I wouldnt say meaner, schenn was a hitting machine with the leafs and also faught, i dont think holzer fights as much as schen does. But you right with bigger and faster. I still think schenn would excel in this defensive system just like all the other D are.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:55 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post

Two different styles of games. Kadri has much more advanced offensive skillset. Schenn has stronger defensive skill set because he uses his body and can agitate.

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:56 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
I wouldnt say meaner, schenn was a hitting machine with the leafs and also faught, i dont think holzer fights as much as schen does. But you right with bigger and faster. I still think schenn would excel in this defensive system just like all the other D are.
You are only as good as you can skate. If you can't skate, you can' recover from mistakes. To be effective Schenn has to make hits, which pulls him out of position. Unfortunately, he can't recover when he does that.

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:59 PM
fahad203

Holzer is way meaner. He's nasty.

Schenn hit, but he didn't clear the front of the net like Holzer does. He also hits to hurt

fahad203 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Schenn does hit and fight, but that doesn't make him mean. It's like he does it because somewhere along the line someone told him he had to do it. It's those types of hits you happily absorb because you know he's too honourable to do you dirty. Holzer crosschecks people from behind into the boards and doesn't show an ounce of remorse. Holzer angrily clears the front of the net when our goalies hold onto the puck, consistently.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Atomos2
The Center of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post

Add hits to those statistics and you'll realize he doesnt

Old
02-11-2013, 11:10 PM
JVR-Kadri-Kessel

Its really early right now, but i agree 100%, I think that JVR just didn't fit into their plans going forward, Philly needed Defense really bad so they mad the trade. I think JVR might have had a bit more value than schenn at that time but Philly had a need and JVR was the answer to fill that need.

Sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:58 PM
bonjovi0308

Send a message via ICQ to bonjovi0308
How did holzer do vs the flyers? How did he play compared to luke in that one game?

bonjovi0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:29 AM
JimLaheyprobert

Quote:
Players can work on their skating, especially a young guy like luke schenn (just look at colton orr), also if he trimmed down to 225 instead of 240 like he was with the leafs he would be alot quicker. Players like Kostka, Fraser, Holzer are all great stories but seriously every single leaf defense men has looked solid. They did not just get better overnight, they bought into a defensive system and their playing overall better team defense. Schenn was in a run and gun offensive system under ron wilson which is not something that suits a stay at home defense men. If luke schenn was here i believe that Caryle would have turned him around, because he did have success in toronto before.

As for the meanstreak, i get holzer dishes out some hits, but he isnt that mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIQ2LJ-U_fI

Old
02-12-2013, 12:34 AM
JimLaheyprobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Schenn does hit and fight, but that doesn't make him mean. It's like he does it because somewhere along the line someone told him he had to do it. It's those types of hits you happily absorb because you know he's too honourable to do you dirty. Holzer crosschecks people from behind into the boards and doesn't show an ounce of remorse. Holzer angrily clears the front of the net when our goalies hold onto the puck, consistently.
I think everyone is just caught up in the moment with holzer and forgot then schenn also cleared the net aggressively, hit everyone that moved and fought when challenged. Just cause holzer rammed mguinn from behind in the boards doesnt mean he has a mean streak, he took a real dumb penalty that potentially could have put philly back into the game. Dont get me wrong i love what hes done and continues to do, but i still think in my opinion schenn was tougher and meaner. Skating ability, offensive ability and mabye even nhl ceiling goes to Holzer, but mean streak goes to schenn.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:07 AM
Number13

Quote:
Players can work on their skating, especially a young guy like luke schenn (just look at colton orr), also if he trimmed down to 225 instead of 240 like he was with the leafs he would be alot quicker. Players like Kostka, Fraser, Holzer are all great stories but seriously every single leaf defense men has looked solid. They did not just get better overnight, they bought into a defensive system and their playing overall better team defense. Schenn was in a run and gun offensive system under ron wilson which is not something that suits a stay at home defense men. If luke schenn was here i believe that Caryle would have turned him around, because he did have success in toronto before.

As for the meanstreak, i get holzer dishes out some hits, but he isnt that mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIQ2LJ-U_fI

Number13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:11 AM
CannedMango

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJIMODIERE19 View Post
Its really early right now, but i agree 100%, I think that JVR just didn't fit into their plans going forward, Philly needed Defense really bad so they mad the trade. I think JVR might have had a bit more value than schenn at that time but Philly had a need and JVR was the answer to fill that need.
I actually think JVRs stock was pretty low at the time. He had a sub-par regular season filled with injuries and he had just signed the long term extension. It's another case of the Leafs taking advantage of a liability type contract and having the guy pan out (so far... knock on wood). Man, if Lupul and Reimer can get back to 100%, we'll have a pretty scary looking team.

CannedMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:39 AM
Ricky Bobby

I still take Schenn over Holzer.

Everybody is in love with Holzer but it has been only 6 games. Most of which he has got to play with our captain who also made Aulie and Gunnarson look like a lot better players then they actually are.

I still love the JVR trade and having a big guy who can protect the puck and hands of JVR has added a whole new dimension to the Leafs that was missing in previous seasons.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote