HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Jennifer Lawrence Appreciation Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 07:31 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I don't see that as impressive, since the circumstances are very different. First, she's been in only one Hunger Games film so far. If she were in 8 (the number of Harry Potter films), she'd be a little typecast, too. Even then, though, audiences didn't grow up with her, as they did with Radcliffe and Watson, who we followed from pre-teen through teen to early adulthood. Lawrence didn't even start acting until she was almost an adult. Finally, it helped that Lawrence earned an Oscar nomination for Best Actress prior to taking the Hunger Games role. That established her as an excellent, up-and-coming actress who just happened to be starring in a popular role, rather than an actress whose participation in a popular series is what made her (as was the case with Emma Watson and Kristen Stewart).
That's fair, I can dig that.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
That's fair, I can dig that.
I meant to add that you did have a bit of a point in that Emma Watson purposefully stayed away from any other roles until Harry Potter was over. That was a decision that made her typecasting even worse, perhaps worse than Radcliffe's. She wouldn't have erased it completely if she had taken other roles, but it would've helped.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Yeah but excessive eyeliner makes most girls look good.

Anyways, I haven't seen SLP unfortunately, but everywhere else she's been nothing special. I've had the "pleasure" of watching The Beaver and she didn't make that **** of a movie any better either.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:34 PM
awfulwaffle

I can't comment on much, because I've only seen The Hunger Games. But I loved that movie and watched it multiple times. I thought she did a great job in that movie.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:51 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
So the girlfriend and I went to see Silver Linings Playbook last night.

In just one word, it was "amazing".

I really, REALLY liked the movie. Some very strong acting from ALL the actors/actresses involved...even Chris Tucker (and I don't like him very well).

But definitely far and away the best thing(s) about that movie were Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper. They had an amazing chemistry together on screen, and it really added to the dynamic.

She was absolutely fantastic in her role, as was he, and really I don't think anybody else could have played either role as well as they did.

Now I haven't seen the other actresses' movies that they're in, save for Zero Dark Thirty, but I can see why Lawrence won the Golden Globe for Lead Actress. Nothing against Chastain, in another year she would probably win it, and still might come Oscar Sunday, but I think the award is Jennifer's to lose.

It's a real shame though that Bradley Cooper won't win (barring some miracle) for his role. I know this is a Jennifer Lawrence thread, but I can't help but be amazed by his performance. Everything he did was perfect for the role and I wish that Lincoln would have come out next year, because he REALLY deserves the recognition for this performance.

Oh well, he's still young enough (considering males in Hollywood) and is definitely a talented Actor that he should be able to snag an Oscar before his career is over.

RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:38 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Wow I just saw Silver Linings Playbook last week, until this thread I had no idea that 'Tiffany' was 'Katniss'.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:45 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:47 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law

She really makes the best faces ever.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:33 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Emma Stone is taller, has giant green eyes and has a raspy voice.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:31 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

She really makes the best faces ever.

Last edited by Jussi: 02-10-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Jennifer Lawrence at this point is good enough of a draw to go to the theater. She's that great. I'm pretty confident going forward that she isn't going to agree to do anything that's cookie cutter crap. She's everything actresses should strive to be.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Lebowski

Her performance in Silver Lining Playbook was spectacular. Second movie I watched of her, the other being The Hunger Games. Wasn't a fan then, but now she's part of my favorite young actresses.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:31 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Her performance in Silver Lining Playbook was spectacular. Second movie I watched of her, the other being The Hunger Games. Wasn't a fan then, but now she's part of my favorite young actresses.
There was enough in the Hunger Games to showcase her talent as well. First of all when I was watching it I didn't see Jennifer Lawrence. I saw Katniss. She became the character. I thought the scene with the flash back while she was hallucinating was pretty damn moving. It baffles me that people can compare twilight and the hunger games with a straight face. Film and books.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:59 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
There was enough in the Hunger Games to showcase her talent as well. First of all when I was watching it I didn't see Jennifer Lawrence. I saw Katniss. She became the character. I thought the scene with the flash back while she was hallucinating was pretty damn moving. It baffles me that people can compare twilight and the hunger games with a straight face. Film and books.
Agreed. Even doing roles like Katniss or Mystique she really brings out the character. Obviously those roles aren't going to let her show off her acting chops too much, but she still does a great job in those roles too. She's capable of pulling off the blockbuster roles without coming across as less of an actress. I think what someone mentioned before--having an Oscar role in Winter's Bone to lend her credibility--definitely helps her be looked at as a serious actress first, popular actress second. Someone like James Franco on the other hand was the reverse, which makes it harder for him to shake off the Spiderman stigma. Took DiCaprio a long time to get the Titanic stigma out and be taken seriously, despite his amazing talents. Lawrence not having to do that really helps the perception of her. As long as she continues to deliver roles like in SLP interspersed with the blockbusters, she's gonna have the best of both worlds.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
I might be missing something, but I don't think of James Franco for Spiderman roles. There's 4 or 5 roles I think of before getting to that.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:22 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I might be missing something, but I don't think of James Franco for Spiderman roles. There's 4 or 5 roles I think of before getting to that.
Me too. I agree with the point but I think of Pineapple Express before I think of Spiderman.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Cruiser008

Obviously getting a lot of buzz right now for her performance in Silver Linings Playbook (which I think was actually an overrated movie), but she was also terrific in X-Men: First Class and Like Crazy. Haven't seen any of her other movies yet.

Cruiser008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:44 AM
NewtJorden
SharksPackersAstros

Send a message via MSN to NewtJorden
She is a really talented actress and she is extremly attractive

NewtJorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Corey Perry*

I thought she was very good in SLP, and I thought she looked good in it too. I enjoyed some of those dance scenes...

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:45 PM
StringerBell

Great performance in Between Two Ferns. Poor ZG.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:04 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
I thought she was very good in SLP, and I thought she looked good in it too. I enjoyed some of those dance scenes...
She should get an oscar just for that alone
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Great performance in Between Two Ferns. Poor ZG.
Ahahaha the whole thing had me cracking up. From jennifer's insults, to drunk Anne Halfway, to Amy Adams'....acting. Plus Jennifer looked....real good in this vid.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Kitten Mittons

I wish he'd go back to long awkward interviews. Those short 15 second clips are kinda lame.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I wish he'd go back to long awkward interviews. Those short 15 second clips are kinda lame.
Don't you ever fart on my **** again.

Graveland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post
Don't you ever fart on my **** again.
You should be off pudding.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:22 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Yeah but excessive eyeliner makes most girls look good.
This is true.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote