HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs 5:2 Flyers! Feels good, man!

Old
02-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
I guess playing every game in 2010/11 and 2011/12 (before getting injured) wasn't much of a shot?

Was Orr used properly last year, if you know anything about the Leafs, I am going to assume you do, Burke and Wilson had a fundamental difference Burke admitted but acted too late on. Wilson doesn't like tough hockey, when your coach wants to play like smurfs, and the GM doesn't interfere how you use your players, how does Orr and Rosehill succeed, you could have Tie Domi in the lineup and he would be treated like a circus act. You don't see how RC differs in approach, Maclaren is not as fast as Rosie, but RC keeps putting him out there. I don't expect you to get this, but you have to trust your tough guys if you want them to play for you and contribute.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Small Brain Presence

That was an interesting play with JVR going around Schenn. I didn't know Ron Wilson was coaching the Flyers.

Small Brain Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Tak7

The reality is that if Randy Carlyle was Burke's coach from the get-go, and not Wilson, perhaps Burke still would have had his job?

This is the kind of hockey Burke wanted his team to play.

Must be so tough for him to be watching this right now.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:12 PM
sangreale

Oh me of little faith. I called Flyers in the prediction thread. WTF is going on here? Fun though.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
how many forwards have more shifts per game than Grabovski? why does RC keeping putting that guy he doesn't like or trust out there like that... what a fool the coach must be. but wait, you think he's a good coach. what is the explanation then? please, I want to learn. please help me understand because obviously only you knows the truth

btw the answer is 1
Just a question why does it matter to you so much if RC likes a player or not? I know I couldn't care less, and I know I didn't try to link this up to absolve a player for going 8 games without a point. Obfuscation a hobby of yours?

Or how else do you want to explain the highest paid fwd being outscored by essentially 2 rookies in Kadri and Frattin thus far, infact Holzer is one goal shy of Grabo.

Spain, absolve, obfuscate away...Your move.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
The reality is that if Randy Carlyle was Burke's coach from the get-go, and not Wilson, perhaps Burke still would have had his job?
I still say Burke's biggest mistake during his time here was keeping Wilson around a year or two TOO long.

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Interactif

Quote:

RC instill trust in his players, sure Orr had to get in shape, but I would argue, it's being used properly, being rewarded with PP time, being on the ice in the last min that goes farther than the RW marginalizing of tough guys by not trusting them and only seeing them as meat.

It's no secret RW wanted speed, push the pace, smurf hockey, and RC wants cycle, aggressive forecheck, defensive structure, and a tough team to play against hockey.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:17 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Just a question why does it matter to you so much if RC likes a player or not? I know I couldn't care less, and I know I didn't try to link this up to absolve a player for going 8 games without a point. Obfuscation a hobby of yours?

Or how else do you want to explain the highest paid fwd being outscored by essentially 2 rookies in Kadri and Frattin thus far, infact Holzer is one goal shy of Grabo.

We are 6-2 in those 8 games.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:19 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
I still say Burke's biggest mistake during his time here was keeping Wilson around a year or two TOO long.

I agree. Burke wanted a truculent team. And wilson wanted a finesse team. The result was a mismash of both. Carlyle is molding the team into an identity

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Blair

Send a message via AIM to Blair Send a message via MSN to Blair
Quote:

You can tell Grabo is hungry out there. His points will come.

Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:20 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

reimer 2.31 .929
scribbles 2.56 .913

fraser 10 0 1 1 +11
jvr 13 8 2 10 +2
frattin 10 7 3 10 +6
kadri 13 3 8 11 +5

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Clark4Ever

Quote:

Yes, but the irony is that Burke only has himself to blame for his mind numbing faith in Ron Wilson. Hell, I think the only reason why he actually fired him in the end is because the ACC faithful took matters into their own hands.

Burke did a tremendous job acquiring most of the pieces that constitute our current roster, and there are exciting prospects waiting in the wings. Unfortunately, his stubborn nature and sense of loyalty to a terrible coach that he didn't even hire ultimately led to his demise.

Carlyle has turned this team around with virtually the same assets at his disposal.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Optimus Reim
Leafs and Bolts fan

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Is he the guy from warm bodies?

(don't know how to insert pictures sorry)

Last edited by Hurt: 02-11-2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Here you go. Just right click image, copy image url, then put between [img] and [/img] tags
Optimus Reim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:25 PM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Crown that man as King Of The Suits!

PoisonMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post
Which tells you all you need to know, Bozak and Kadri are capable in shouldering the offensive load for the team.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:26 PM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post
Something about a dead horse.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:27 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Frattin's got 7 goals, 10 points in 10 games now. Chemistry between him and Kadri has been unreal
Give that line Lupul when he returns. He's a top line player that can increase our offensive arsenal. Leave JVR with Kessel, because it's working well.

Would be interesting to see Lupul working around the net with Kadri and Frattin around. I believe that someone stronger than MacArthur needs to be around in order to maximize Kadri's scoring chances.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:28 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
Was Orr used properly last year, if you know anything about the Leafs, I am going to assume you do, Burke and Wilson had a fundamental difference Burke admitted but acted too late on. Wilson doesn't like tough hockey, when your coach wants to play like smurfs, and the GM doesn't interfere how you use your players, how does Orr and Rosehill succeed, you could have Tie Domi in the lineup and he would be treated like a circus act. You don't see how RC differs in approach, Maclaren is not as fast as Rosie, but RC keeps putting him out there. I don't expect you to get this, but you have to trust your tough guys if you want them to play for you and contribute.
Orr was coming back from a concussion and his fitness level and overall game were lacking.

I'm using TOI to show you that Colton was given roughly the same amount of minutes under Rotten Ronnie as he is now when he was healthy.

Direct quote from Carlyle:

Quote:
“He went to the Marlies, worked his butt off, changed his body makeup,” Carlyle said of Orr. “He’s in much better shape, mentally and physically. The message at the end of the last year, if you go out and commit to this fitness regime, you’ll get an opportunity here.”
If you disagree with what I'm saying then you're disagreeing with what Carlyle is saying. Given the comparable TOI undre Ron and Randy, it's my guess (just as it's your guess that they differ on how to use tough guys) that these coaches agreed on Colton Orr and what it would take for him to get back into the lineup.

Additionally, you're pointing to a single season under Ron when Colton was coming back from a serious injury... I showed you two where he played him every game he possibly could when he was healthy.

Ron had his faults... how he used his enforcers wasn't one of them. The team sucked last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, because of a dated system employed by a coach that was refusing to change. How he dispenses minutes to his tough guys had nothing to do with it.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:28 PM
mix1home

I'm so glad jvr scored one against his former team. Hopefully he becomes Phili killer.

mix1home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:32 PM
bunjay

That JVR goal was sweet and everything, but Boucher was so concerned about it going fivehole that he missed an easy pad-save Why did he pull his right leg in like that?

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:34 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

another impressive win.

but 83 shots against the last two games isn't gonna fly longterm. our goalies are being forced to make way too many great saves, and when our offense slows down this is going to be an issue.

get well soon, Reims.

and of course.....Kadri > B.Schenn, JVR > L.Schenn.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:35 PM
bunjay

If people could please stop taking Interactif's troll-bait, or at least stop quoting him if you do, I could more easily imagine he doesn't exist at all.

Thanks.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:36 PM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
Orr was coming back from a concussion and his fitness level and overall game were lacking.

I'm using TOI to show you that Colton was given roughly the same amount of minutes under Rotten Ronnie as he is now when he was healthy.

Direct quote from Carlyle:

If you disagree with what I'm saying then you're disagreeing with what Carlyle is saying. Given the comparable TOI undre Ron and Randy, it's my guess (just as it's your guess that they differ on how to use tough guys) that these coaches agreed on Colton Orr and what it would take for him to get back into the lineup.

Additionally, you're pointing to a single season under Ron when Colton was coming back from a serious injury... I showed you two where he played him every game he possibly could when he was healthy.

Ron had his faults... how he used his enforcers wasn't one of them. The team sucked last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, because of a dated system employed by a coach that was refusing to change. How he dispenses minutes to his tough guys had nothing to do with it.
Sorry but RC likes to roll 4. RW barely had 7 guys he trusted out there ... and we are talking about the same bodies ... although one must admit Orr is in better trimt his year.

RC would kill to find another checker tough guy he could out there on the 4th and get them more minutes. I don't think he thinks they are there yet. But if he ever gets the 3rd hardworking, hard nosed guy on that line you will see their minutes rise.

Old
TheMadHatTrick

i fell asleep before the 3rd period but great game nonetheless.

Mark Fraser is now a ridiculous +11 on the season. I say ridiculous cause when's the last time a Leafs defeceman was a over plus 10. lol the guy's just solid, I don't even notice he's on the ice except when he's fighting, which I'll assume is a good thing for a defensive-defenceman.

Franson is playing really good hockey with Fraser riding shotgun with him. I don't know why people want to get rid of this guy. He's our best shooter from the point and should be getting #1 pp duty with whoever they choose to put on the other side. The guy just gets his shots through somehow.

Our defense is the deepest I can ever remember.

The Komarov, Kulemin, Grabo line just buzzes all day in the opposing end. They must piss off the other team like a group of gnats.

Frattin is legit. His hands are a lot better than I gave him credit for, and his shot is NHL caliber. Carlye has him driving the net more than he did last year and it's paying off. I just wish he would use his size more and lay some guys out, cause with that frame he could do some serious damage.

Kadri needs to get better at faceoffs, but him and Frattin have great chemistry together.

I really like Holzer's physicality, despite the possible suspension. He plays a smart and simple game ike a more physical and tougher Gunnarson.

Forgot JVR. I know he didn't have a great game today, but the last time we had a big player with his hands in front of the net was probably Andreychuck.

Last edited by TheMadHatTrick: 02-11-2013 at 10:49 PM.
TheMadHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
That JVR goal was sweet and everything, but Boucher was so concerned about it going fivehole that he missed an easy pad-save Why did he pull his right leg in like that?
Its pretty rare the shooter goes short side on that play. Usually five hole or drags it right across.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote