HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larry Brooks on the Thomas Trade

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2013, 06:48 PM
  #51
JeffNYI
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
HA i just dont get the hate for Wang, its not as though he hasnt tried to add payroll. He tried to Sign Smyth, Ehrhoff, Martin and who knows who elseto massive deals. But they though right fully so that the arena situation was to questionable for them.

IMO you dodged bullets with all three of those guys. To me now that FA's know the final destination they will come, maybe not in bunches but they are on there way IMO.
Wang has certainly had his positive moments.. but not many lately..

Plus it's widely believed (including by me) that he involves himself in hockey decisions.. and not just for budgetary reasons..

Nearly everyone wants him to sell the team once we move in to our new building..

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:40 PM
  #52
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
I dont think its necesarrily an immediate cap circumvention move. But it gives the isles felxibility to trade Visonvsky or Striet or whoever if you guys are out of it. If you are in it then you can still add if you really want to and it will have no real affect on adding someone. Its in the end a smart personel move.
Frank, do you understand that if the the club had a normal payroll that was not duct taped and stapled to the cap floor we wouldn't need to do these cheap parlor tricks to find space to trade a body or two if it came to it at the deadline? The move itself is clever. The reason we are in this position is not. They aren't trying to build anything at the moment, just keep it cheap for Wang. Meanwhile Charlie pockets the league revenue paycheck while guys like Tavares have to play with such all star talent as Boyes waiver acquisitions.

And if they are in it they won't add the pieces. This season started half way complete with a 30 way tie and Charles won't let Garth add salary via trade like everyone pretty much knows we need to do.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:23 PM
  #53
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Frank, do you understand that if the the club had a normal payroll that was not duct taped and stapled to the cap floor we wouldn't need to do these cheap parlor tricks to find space to trade a body or two if it came to it at the deadline? The move itself is clever. The reason we are in this position is not. They aren't trying to build anything at the moment, just keep it cheap for Wang. Meanwhile Charlie pockets the league revenue paycheck while guys like Tavares have to play with such all star talent as Boyes waiver acquisitions.

And if they are in it they won't add the pieces. This season started half way complete with a 30 way tie and Charles won't let Garth add salary via trade like everyone pretty much knows we need to do.
Everyone has some gripe with there owner... I mean look a couple years ago at us we all hated Dolan. Most of us still do but were being kept at bay by winning. Im sure in the near future Knicks and Rangers fans will be booing Jimmy again.

But as far not adding pay roll before the season started, who would have come?? You didnt have a permanent home before the season started. The previous seasons he damn sure tried he offered Christian Ehrhoff a huge boat load of cash... Do you think he was offering it knowing he wouldnt accept it? I mean thats a pretty big risk No? What if he accepted what would Wang have done if he really couldnt pay him the money.

Before you go killing Charles Wang lets see an offseason post Barclays announcement. If he doesnt even try.. then fine. But Its more likely hes going to want a good team heading into barclays than a bad one and i think they will find there Deron Williams.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:01 PM
  #54
leaponover
Registered User
 
leaponover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,573
vCash: 500
I'll be happy getting draft picks from these guys that are leaving anyway....

Is that really a problem for people? We are going to lose them for nothing anyway. Weren't a lot of you complaining about PA not being moved for a pick? If bringing on Thomas to hack the cap means we won't lose Streit and Visnovsky for nothing wouldn't that translate to being savvy? Brooks said he won't be a cap hit next year so it's not like it translates to future shenanigans.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:04 PM
  #55
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I'll be happy getting draft picks from these guys that are leaving anyway....

Is that really a problem for people? We are going to lose them for nothing anyway. Weren't a lot of you complaining about PA not being moved for a pick? If bringing on Thomas to hack the cap means we won't lose Streit and Visnovsky for nothing wouldn't that translate to being savvy? Brooks said he won't be a cap hit next year so it's not like it translates to future shenanigans.


I think if any of you clowns dated a lingerie model you'd trade them for a conditional schoolmarm.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:19 PM
  #56
original islander
Registered User
 
original islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I'll be happy getting draft picks from these guys that are leaving anyway....

Is that really a problem for people? We are going to lose them for nothing anyway. Weren't a lot of you complaining about PA not being moved for a pick? If bringing on Thomas to hack the cap means we won't lose Streit and Visnovsky for nothing wouldn't that translate to being savvy? Brooks said he won't be a cap hit next year so it's not like it translates to future shenanigans.
Agree. It's asset management. Unfortunately no star player is on their way. No team will trade current impact players for kids if they have a chance to make the playoffs, if we do trade for one they won't report and if we can make a trade our owner will never consent to paying them.

As a result you try to get as many chips as possible and hope they turn into players.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:22 PM
  #57
GusTheo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Everyone has some gripe with there owner... I mean look a couple years ago at us we all hated Dolan. Most of us still do but were being kept at bay by winning. Im sure in the near future Knicks and Rangers fans will be booing Jimmy again.

But as far not adding pay roll before the season started, who would have come?? You didnt have a permanent home before the season started. The previous seasons he damn sure tried he offered Christian Ehrhoff a huge boat load of cash... Do you think he was offering it knowing he wouldnt accept it? I mean thats a pretty big risk No? What if he accepted what would Wang have done if he really couldnt pay him the money.

Before you go killing Charles Wang lets see an offseason post Barclays announcement. If he doesnt even try.. then fine. But Its more likely hes going to want a good team heading into barclays than a bad one and i think they will find there Deron Williams.
Wow, a Rangers fan making sense!

Typical your post wasn't responded to yet, it makes sense. My posts seem to get a lot of the same treatment.

There has yet to be an off-season with the knowledge that the Islanders have secured a deal in a modern arena. By the time the announcement was made, it was too late to do anything in free agency.

People are all clamoring to make a trade, well trades just don't happen all that often during the season. The Islanders aren't in a position where one guy puts them over the top. You don't make a trade just for the sake of making it. You only do that if your team is really close and needs to be shaken up. That isn't the case with the Islanders.

Some genius on here suggested the Islanders trade Okposo and a 2013 1st rounder for a stud defenseman. Because there are SOOO many of them out there that teams are just going to give them away for a high draft pick and Kyle Okposo. Get real!!!

The Islanders trades for Lubo (3m in actual salary) in the off-season for a 2nd round draft pick. I've read at least 10 times over the last 3 days that Wang and Snow are way too cheap and just do things to save every last penny they possibly could. This move directly refutes that. They could have let PAP walk, said they expect Boyes to bounce back and completely fill his shoes (even though they knew they'd be lying) and continue to pinch those pennies. That wasn't the case. Garth went out and made a move to improve the team.

Don't get me wrong, I know the Islanders are cheap. But some of you with your ideas are just absolutely ridiculous. And as far as revenue sharing goes, I don't think the Isles actually qualified for any revenue sharing until after the new CBA because of their geographic location.

So not only have the Isles been handicapped by SMG (Until the deal we renegotiated 2-3 years ago) they were also handicapped by a lack of revenue sharing even though they were losing millions of dollars.

I don't think Charles Wang is some sort of victim, but the Islanders have been dealt with some pretty unlucky circumstances.

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:25 PM
  #58
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Everyone has some gripe with there owner... I mean look a couple years ago at us we all hated Dolan. Most of us still do but were being kept at bay by winning. Im sure in the near future Knicks and Rangers fans will be booing Jimmy again.

But as far not adding pay roll before the season started, who would have come?? You didnt have a permanent home before the season started. The previous seasons he damn sure tried he offered Christian Ehrhoff a huge boat load of cash... Do you think he was offering it knowing he wouldnt accept it? I mean thats a pretty big risk No? What if he accepted what would Wang have done if he really couldnt pay him the money.

Before you go killing Charles Wang lets see an offseason post Barclays announcement. If he doesnt even try.. then fine. But Its more likely hes going to want a good team heading into barclays than a bad one and i think they will find there Deron Williams.
Some are worse than others, boss. If you are going to tell me that you never heard of Ballard or Pocklington (post-selling Gretzky off), then I don't know what to say. Wang has clearly joined the ranks of the bad ones. Look at the garbage he saddles Tavares to play with, meanwhile he takes that revenue sharing check that teams like YOURS give him and what does he do, re-invest it in the roster so we can be halfway competitive? No, he pockets it, and laughs at suckers like you and all the other fans of the better funded clubs who now pay him to not spend money on our roster.

Wake up bro, I feel bad for us, and I feel bad for you because Chucky is taking ALL of us to the bank, and he is crapping on hard working honest kids like Tavares and Hamonic all because he gambled on a property deal and lost.

I just had to watch 60 minutes of hockey that included his pet goaltender with the bad joints struggling to get off the ice. That guy is in net because of his cap hit and for no other reason. He is also the reason they overwork Nabokov. That's all thanks to Chuck who personally decided to hang that anchor of a contract around his club's neck.

Everyone's club's owner? No, not by a long long shot...

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:34 PM
  #59
GusTheo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
meanwhile he takes that revenue sharing check that teams like YOURS give him and what does he do, re-invest it in the roster so we can be halfway competitive? No, he pockets it, and laughs at suckers like you and all the other fans of the better funded clubs who now pay him to not spend money on our roster.
Islanders haven't been eligible for revenue sharing until AFTER the lockout ended. Get your facts straight.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2012...evenue-sharing

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:34 PM
  #60
lacunacoil777
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
Anyone that doesnt admit to Wang penny pinching hasnt been following the Islanders for ten years. THe guy has been doing it for quite some time. ANd there is no reason at all to speak about how he offered some players contracts but they signed elsewhere...because the contract he offered was useless cause all the other teams pay front loaded contracts and Wang pays back loaded contracts. Wang wont even be the owner when most of these players start seeing a good paycheck...(Taveres, Okiposso, Grabner, moulson) these guys all signed back loaded contracts.

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:40 PM
  #61
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 14,492
vCash: 500
Lets move along from the left/right paper slant and discuss the article.

__________________
Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:58 PM
  #62
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusTheo View Post
Islanders haven't been eligible for revenue sharing until AFTER the lockout ended. Get your facts straight.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2012...evenue-sharing
We are both post-lockout, and trades have indeed occurred already but instead what our owner does is make a shadow trade for fake cap space so he can tell the club he is going to sell off even more vets before they are even out of playoff contention with a month or more to go till the trade deadline. Perhaps you are the one who should get his facts straight before lecturing someone else.

When is the first check cut? How much is it for? How many more roster slots in August have "Waiver Pickup" stenciled into their slots because Snow can't spend a real dime on someone more than 5 people in the NHL think is above-mediocre?

How about answering those questions, if you dare?

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:19 PM
  #63
GusTheo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
We are both post-lockout, and trades have indeed occurred already but instead what our owner does is make a shadow trade for fake cap space so he can tell the club he is going to sell off even more vets before they are even out of playoff contention with a month or more to go till the trade deadline. Perhaps you are the one who should get his facts straight before lecturing someone else.

When is the first check cut? How much is it for? How many more roster slots in August have "Waiver Pickup" stenciled into their slots because Snow can't spend a real dime on someone more than 5 people in the NHL think is above-mediocre?

How about answering those questions, if you dare?
There hasn't been a single impact trade made. There have been 6 total, and one of those is the Islanders trade for Thomas. I'll go over them for you 1 by 1, just so you can see, "bro".

1) Panthers Traded F Jean-Francois Jacques to Tampa Bay for future considerations.

2) Rangers Traded F Chad Kolarik to Pittsburgh for F Benn Ferriero. (I'm sure you've heard of both these guys.

3) Rangers Traded F Mike Rupp to Minnesota for F Darroll Powe and F Nick Palmieri. (NY Rangers, come collect the Stanley Cup!)

4) Chicago Traded F Peter LeBlanc to the Washington Capitals for future considerations (Man this one was such a blockbuster Chicago didn't even know who they wanted back!)

5) Kings Traded C Andrei Loktionov to New Jersey for a 2013 fifth-round draft pick. (5th round pick... big things!)

6) Isles trade for Tim Thomas...

None of these trades were major, they are fringe trades at best, for depth guys. None of these types of trades will help the Islanders. You rarely see impact trades in season unless they are close to the deadline or some sort of extenuating circumstance.

I have no idea when the first check is cut, or for how much, why don't you go look it up since you are so concerned about revenue sharing. All I did was simply point out the fact that you don't know what you're talking about.

Once the season starts, chances are that is the team you're going to war with. If you're a good team and are close to being a contender, you can usually make a trade to try and put yourself over the top. That isn't the Islanders, they are more than 1 player away.

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:45 PM
  #64
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusTheo View Post
There hasn't been a single impact trade made. There have been 6 total, and one of those is the Islanders trade for Thomas. I'll go over them for you 1 by 1, just so you can see, "bro".

1) Panthers Traded F Jean-Francois Jacques to Tampa Bay for future considerations.

2) Rangers Traded F Chad Kolarik to Pittsburgh for F Benn Ferriero. (I'm sure you've heard of both these guys.

3) Rangers Traded F Mike Rupp to Minnesota for F Darroll Powe and F Nick Palmieri. (NY Rangers, come collect the Stanley Cup!)

4) Chicago Traded F Peter LeBlanc to the Washington Capitals for future considerations (Man this one was such a blockbuster Chicago didn't even know who they wanted back!)

5) Kings Traded C Andrei Loktionov to New Jersey for a 2013 fifth-round draft pick. (5th round pick... big things!)

6) Isles trade for Tim Thomas...

None of these trades were major, they are fringe trades at best, for depth guys. None of these types of trades will help the Islanders. You rarely see impact trades in season unless they are close to the deadline or some sort of extenuating circumstance.

I have no idea when the first check is cut, or for how much, why don't you go look it up since you are so concerned about revenue sharing. All I did was simply point out the fact that you don't know what you're talking about.

Once the season starts, chances are that is the team you're going to war with. If you're a good team and are close to being a contender, you can usually make a trade to try and put yourself over the top. That isn't the Islanders, they are more than 1 player away.
Sure, they are more likely to happen at the deadline for the needs of the playoff bound, or in the offseason, but yet they do happen in season as well. But that wasn't the point, which was that our owner sends a rather dubious message early in the season before the wheels fell off about his intentions. TT wasn't going anywhere. The trade deadline was something like 6 weeks away, and they go and make a move not to bolster a hole or two, but one which tells everyone on the team what their real concerns are - dumping actual players. There was time in the summer for a trade, and there is time now as some teams are in cap trouble and would welcome something that allows them breathing room to make other moves at the deadline. This is where trading for a bloated contract of a good player would work. But all we see is cap space traded for. Meanwhile we have a first line composed of Tavares, a lazy tourist, and garbage, and a defense that required two waiver pickups to patch. Yeah, time to make that trade, as they have occurred in the past, and as the current club would benefit from it, and another club would welcome.

On the revenue sharing, you say you have no idea when or for how much yet you attempt to lecture me on it? How about you research those facts you are so fond of and get back to me on them. You were the one who brought them out as such, if you can remember that far back of course.

In the mean time perhaps you could lecture all of us on the goodness of an owner who starves his club of talent and practically assures us of a basement salary roster until we are in Barclays, and then who knows what else he may chain to increasing salary.

But hey, we are so unreasonable in our demands...

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:25 AM
  #65
GusTheo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Sure, they are more likely to happen at the deadline for the needs of the playoff bound, or in the offseason, but yet they do happen in season as well. But that wasn't the point, which was that our owner sends a rather dubious message early in the season before the wheels fell off about his intentions. TT wasn't going anywhere. The trade deadline was something like 6 weeks away, and they go and make a move not to bolster a hole or two, but one which tells everyone on the team what their real concerns are - dumping actual players. There was time in the summer for a trade, and there is time now as some teams are in cap trouble and would welcome something that allows them breathing room to make other moves at the deadline. This is where trading for a bloated contract of a good player would work. But all we see is cap space traded for. Meanwhile we have a first line composed of Tavares, a lazy tourist, and garbage, and a defense that required two waiver pickups to patch. Yeah, time to make that trade, as they have occurred in the past, and as the current club would benefit from it, and another club would welcome.

On the revenue sharing, you say you have no idea when or for how much yet you attempt to lecture me on it? How about you research those facts you are so fond of and get back to me on them. You were the one who brought them out as such, if you can remember that far back of course.

In the mean time perhaps you could lecture all of us on the goodness of an owner who starves his club of talent and practically assures us of a basement salary roster until we are in Barclays, and then who knows what else he may chain to increasing salary.

But hey, we are so unreasonable in our demands...
I'm not lecturing anything with anyone, it's a discussion, hence a discussion board. You are the one that brought up Charles Wang cashing revenue checks meanwhile the Isles haven't even been eligible until this season started. I'm not gonna do anything for you, you pull up google and go find the facts yourself, you are the one who asked the questions not me, chief. Those things are irrelevant to our discussion anyway. You implied that he's been cashing these checks handed to him by the NHL and not putting it back into the team which is dead wrong!

The Islanders did make a trade at the draft where they in fact took on a player with a salary and didn't send any salary back what so ever. You have no facts or proof of them not trying to make more trades. Just because they haven't made any trades doesn't mean they aren't trying to.

You don't make a trade just to make it. You don't take on a bad contract just because you can. It has to make sense.

All the Tim Thomas trade does is give the Islanders options. If they choose to ship off guys that are going to be brought back anyway, than so be it. If they toll the contract and hope he comes to play next year, awesome. If not, than it wasn't anything. Certainly not anything to ***** and moan about.

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:53 AM
  #66
goal1228
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Agree. It's asset management. Unfortunately no star player is on their way. No team will trade current impact players for kids if they have a chance to make the playoffs, if we do trade for one they won't report and if we can make a trade our owner will never consent to paying them.

As a result you try to get as many chips as possible and hope they turn into players.


This

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:13 AM
  #67
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusTheo View Post
I'm not lecturing anything with anyone, it's a discussion, hence a discussion board. You are the one that brought up Charles Wang cashing revenue checks meanwhile the Isles haven't even been eligible until this season started. I'm not gonna do anything for you, you pull up google and go find the facts yourself, you are the one who asked the questions not me, chief. Those things are irrelevant to our discussion anyway. You implied that he's been cashing these checks handed to him by the NHL and not putting it back into the team which is dead wrong!

The Islanders did make a trade at the draft where they in fact took on a player with a salary and didn't send any salary back what so ever. You have no facts or proof of them not trying to make more trades. Just because they haven't made any trades doesn't mean they aren't trying to.

You don't make a trade just to make it. You don't take on a bad contract just because you can. It has to make sense.

All the Tim Thomas trade does is give the Islanders options. If they choose to ship off guys that are going to be brought back anyway, than so be it. If they toll the contract and hope he comes to play next year, awesome. If not, than it wasn't anything. Certainly not anything to ***** and moan about.
Lets start over again Gus. Maybe the recent slide and the team's inability to do anything to halt it has everyone on edge, me included. I know the checks couldn't be cut until the start of this season. I don't think they have released the details on them and may never, as the NHL isn't known for its transparency. I have personally given them until the start of training camp next year to show us, since the arena is now set, and that revenues have been enhanced, that they will stop putting saving money over helping and developing their young core. They have said they would, now is the year for them to live up to their own words. What has everyone juiced is that their first move this year was to go waiver wire picking for important players. This is followed by the TT deal at a point when we are in the playoff hunt. To many of us this sends a poor signal because the move heralds their intent to move vets for picks long before the point you would normally throw in the towel. We get that on a normal club this would be a move 'just in case.' But with the past several years dedicated to keeping salary at the floor and only moving for picks or cap floor friendly contracts when the kids need some better depth around them, the Isles have sacrificed that kind of benefit of the doubt, and if you roll your eyes on that, then we roll them back and point at history.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:05 PM
  #68
GusTheo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Lets start over again Gus. Maybe the recent slide and the team's inability to do anything to halt it has everyone on edge, me included. I know the checks couldn't be cut until the start of this season. I don't think they have released the details on them and may never, as the NHL isn't known for its transparency. I have personally given them until the start of training camp next year to show us, since the arena is now set, and that revenues have been enhanced, that they will stop putting saving money over helping and developing their young core. They have said they would, now is the year for them to live up to their own words. What has everyone juiced is that their first move this year was to go waiver wire picking for important players. This is followed by the TT deal at a point when we are in the playoff hunt. To many of us this sends a poor signal because the move heralds their intent to move vets for picks long before the point you would normally throw in the towel. We get that on a normal club this would be a move 'just in case.' But with the past several years dedicated to keeping salary at the floor and only moving for picks or cap floor friendly contracts when the kids need some better depth around them, the Isles have sacrificed that kind of benefit of the doubt, and if you roll your eyes on that, then we roll them back and point at history.
Hey, fair enough! That's all I was getting at. Lets give them a chance to go into an off season with the security of Brooklyn there, and see if we can do something.

And don't you like the Thomas move in terms of, if the isles don't plan on bringing Streit and/or Lubo back to trade them for younger players or draft picks? Remember we traded a 2nd for Lubo, so it'd be nice to get something back if he's just gonna end up booting at seasons end.

So it's not like it's inevitable, but if/when we fall out, it's nice to have that option.

And I know it's a lockout shortened season, but no one knows how the season will play out as the games pile up. The Isles are struggling, but maybe some of the older teams start falling apart in the next month because of the crazy schedule.

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:33 PM
  #69
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusTheo View Post
Hey, fair enough! That's all I was getting at. Lets give them a chance to go into an off season with the security of Brooklyn there, and see if we can do something.

And don't you like the Thomas move in terms of, if the isles don't plan on bringing Streit and/or Lubo back to trade them for younger players or draft picks? Remember we traded a 2nd for Lubo, so it'd be nice to get something back if he's just gonna end up booting at seasons end.

So it's not like it's inevitable, but if/when we fall out, it's nice to have that option.

And I know it's a lockout shortened season, but no one knows how the season will play out as the games pile up. The Isles are struggling, but maybe some of the older teams start falling apart in the next month because of the crazy schedule.
If he swung it 4-5 weeks later than he did, when we were 15 games out of the playoffs, then yes. If he had gotten something in return, I would have liked it more, because we did Boston a huge favor. I feel like he undercut what he could have gotten. Doing it back when we were in the 5th slot... I disagree with the timing and think it may have had in impact on the locker room. Hockey players may be athletes first, but that doesn't mean they are immune from the import of the move.

As for where they wind up, this early slump will likely last another 8 to 10 games based on history. No one crawls out of a hole that deep with only 25 or so games to go. It also goes without saying that this little trick he pulled would not be necessary if Wang was being a real hockey club owner and trying to improve the team last summer. I don't hate the open running wound. I hate the Ebola Zaire causing it.


Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 02-12-2013 at 06:40 PM.
A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:27 PM
  #70
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,654
vCash: 500
Thought Snow said teams will have to pay him to use our cap space? what ever happened to that? ****ing bull****ter.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:46 PM
  #71
Stercrazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
Both sides make good points. Since us die hard Islanders fans.....not just hockey fans....probably won't have an answer until after the move. Then and only then will we see what exactly are the ownership's intentions......good, bad, or crazy.

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:25 PM
  #72
Fan101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercrazy View Post
Both sides make good points. Since us die hard Islanders fans.....not just hockey fans....probably won't have an answer until after the move. Then and only then will we see what exactly are the ownership's intentions......good, bad, or crazy.
Great post!

Yes it is frustrating that we have two more seasons here in Nassau and as a Nassau resident I hate to see them go but wish they could start in Brooklyn now instead of dragging this out. The moron Nassau politicians caused this mess and need to fix it for the sake of the franchise.

The bright spot is the BRI kids and CHL prospects. Brad Boyes looks like he belongs and wants to be here. Lubo seems upbeat so I hope they can find something now.

Fan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:23 AM
  #73
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,851
vCash: 500
History......Wang makes a big splash then sells and goes cheap and we're avoiding spending on anything each year. Cap minimum if only because we're unable to hide money (Thomas, tolled contracts, bonus clauses.

Keep paying for the entertainment. He's getting your money and 100 percent approval by you going to games.

I can only think of the mentality of the apologists for Wanger. "If I only got the dishes spotless, he wouldn't have to use the belt!" Well, Tavares' face last game says what every player must feel cashing an Islander paycheck.

"Why am I ****ing here?"

But after all the circus shenanigans and Wang acting like Ballard to a tee, some are hungry for more **** on a stick.

"Maybe he'll change."

Sorry, Wang will just continue to starve the club and collect your money with Cappy or any other hard luck Bostonite scrub coaching this debacle. And eventually Tavares and Moulson and Hamonic will bolt. We'll at least have more prospects to laud each year. As usual.

I notice a few more posters demanding better, though. Maybe within a few years' time there might be some form of outrage? If you can't find any anger at how things are going, just do what the team does and find it on waivers or something? My outrage is front-loaded FWIW.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:42 AM
  #74
giddy up
Registered User
 
giddy up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Serious Question: Why does Charles Wag own the Islanders?

I mean, if he loses a ton of money on them every year and has no intentions of putting a better product on the ice, then what is he doing?

giddy up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:55 AM
  #75
MJF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy up View Post
Serious Question: Why does Charles Wag own the Islanders?

I mean, if he loses a ton of money on them every year and has no intentions of putting a better product on the ice, then what is he doing?
Failed land grab. Same reason Millstein/Gluckstern bought the team, IMO. I expect he will sell in the near future.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.