HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs 5:2 Flyers! Feels good, man!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2013, 11:54 PM
  #276
Steeltown
Registered User
 
Steeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: T.O.
Country: Canada
Posts: 453
vCash: 500


Loving Komarov.

Steeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:55 PM
  #277
BertCorbeau
Global Moderator
 
BertCorbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
Grabovski is starting to resemble Bergeron and is solidifying his defensive side. He's proven that he could score previous seasons. In fact, he's made a few excellent that unfortunately didn't connect.

Saying that, if he's peaked offensively ( late-bloomer and 29, btw) and is going to developed into a Michael Peca, I'd take him. A player like Peca on the roster is going to make you a contender. Grabs has been played regularly and is critical against the opposition's top line. He's going to be fun to watch, imo.
Grabo's also being matched against other teams top lines to check them, like being against Giroux tonight ... His first job is to shut them out and then try to provide some offense off of turnovers

While I'd like to see him score more, he's an effective checking centre ... With Kessel's line and Kadri/Frattin picking up the slack, I'm not concerned about Grabo scoring more goals

That being said I'm hoping Grabo can continue to develop his game so that he can shut down teams top lines while scoring 20-25 goals and 50-60 points

BertCorbeau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:55 PM
  #278
bunjay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
It does look like he was going short side anticipating Boucher to slide over to cover the 5 hole, caught a bit of the pad, then went it.
Watch the slow-mo and look at where the puck hits his pad. There is no doubt he was going fivehole.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:56 PM
  #279
Superstar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
On a side note, I felt Mac's slapshot from like 5 ft awy from the Flyers net was something of an exclamation point on the night
I gotta give Mac credit there, sliding backwards to anticipate Kadri's pass for that one timer. Man, does Kadri and Frattin have great chemistry or what? No look pass between the Flyers player's legs to Kadri, and then a beauty pass to Mac.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:57 PM
  #280
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 29,492
vCash: 500
Scrivens add 33 saves! Wow, couldve sworn it was 15-20ish max

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:57 PM
  #281
The Winter Soldier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: China
Posts: 43,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
Orr was coming back from a concussion and his fitness level and overall game were lacking.

I'm using TOI to show you that Colton was given roughly the same amount of minutes under Rotten Ronnie as he is now when he was healthy.

Direct quote from Carlyle:



If you disagree with what I'm saying then you're disagreeing with what Carlyle is saying. Given the comparable TOI undre Ron and Randy, it's my guess (just as it's your guess that they differ on how to use tough guys) that these coaches agreed on Colton Orr and what it would take for him to get back into the lineup.

Additionally, you're pointing to a single season under Ron when Colton was coming back from a serious injury... I showed you two where he played him every game he possibly could when he was healthy.

Ron had his faults... how he used his enforcers wasn't one of them. The team sucked last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, because of a dated system employed by a coach that was refusing to change. How he dispenses minutes to his tough guys had nothing to do with it.
Orr wasn't used prior to his concussion, he and Rosehill were thrown out there for a fight in the first and rarely saw the ice after the first period. Do you not see the fundamental difference in the way RC uses his tough guys to RW? Orr is on the ice in last min of periods, he gets rewarded with PP time. Tear your way away from the stats sheets and observe the differences in coaching techniques. Does RC not make a player feel better about themselves?

Just to clarify again, Orr gets credit for working his way back in the lineup, I never inferred he wasn't in better shape. It is well documented here he he lost weight and is quicker this year, but if you want to tell me that Ron Wilson used enforcers well last year, you didn't watch the same games I watched.

Everyone knows RC and RW coach vastly differently, the results speak for themselves, the Orr and Mclaren roles have been vital to this team's identity. Carlyle stated as much as saying before the year there will be a 4th energy line while he is coach, it's a vote of confidence to Orr, Brown, and Mclaren. Wilson had little usage for a 4th line, he accepted what Burke gave him and almost reluctantly used them. That's the biggest difference, if you are telling me a player plays better when they are treated this way, I don't know what to tell you?

So to recap, Orr got himself back after the concussion, he deserves credit there, being a backer of his all along I am not surprised, and also being a backer of his and tougher hockey, he was not used correctly last year, I have no problem with the way RW used Orr the first year he was here, but RW really went smurf hockey last year, and any Leafs fan that witnessed our games against Boston would agree.

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:57 PM
  #282
Superstar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Watch the slow-mo and look at where the puck hits his pad. There is no doubt he was going fivehole.
Then I understand why Boucher is a back-up.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:57 PM
  #283
bunjay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Grabo's also being matched against other teams top lines to check them, like being against Giroux tonight ... His first job is to shut them out and then try to provide some offense off of turnovers

While I'd like to see him score more, he's an effective checking centre ... With Kessel's line and Kadri/Frattin picking up the slack, I'm not concerned about Grabo scoring more goals

That being said I'm hoping Grabo can continue to develop his game so that he can shut down teams top lines while scoring 20-25 goals and 50-60 points
Look at how high Carlyle has Grabovski trailing his wingers when they're carrying the puck into the offensive zone. He's often just at the blueline by the time they're below the icing line.

They've also been taken off the PP completely. This has become a shutdown line.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:57 PM
  #284
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 29,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Scrivens add 33 saves! Wow, couldve sworn it was 15-20ish max
*made

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:58 PM
  #285
sangreale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
That JVR goal was sweet and everything, but Boucher was so concerned about it going fivehole that he missed an easy pad-save Why did he pull his right leg in like that?
Goalies work very hard on their technique in the modern game. You see more guys in strong positions to stop a puck. When you bear down on them there is usually very little to shoot at. The best thing a player can do is try to make the goalie move and open him up. That way you can slide it in five hole or put the puck in a position he has vacated or failed to move to as quickly as you have.

And with JVR coming across the net like that the variables are always larger. Its all a matter of creativity, quick reaction and a little luck.

Sometimes you get the bear. Sometimes the bear gets you.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:58 PM
  #286
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 35,317
vCash: 500
yeah, the grabo line is clearly his checking line, and the kadri line his second scoring line.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:58 PM
  #287
RASHBEEP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Scrivens add 33 saves! Wow, couldve sworn it was 15-20ish max
flyers had 20 shots in the first 16 minutes i think. not too shabby, though his rebound control leaves a lot to be desired.

RASHBEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:59 PM
  #288
veedubn1
Registered User
 
veedubn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
Sorry but RC likes to roll 4. RW barely had 7 guys he trusted out there ... and we are talking about the same bodies ... although one must admit Orr is in better trimt his year.

RC would kill to find another checker tough guy he could out there on the 4th and get them more minutes. I don't think he thinks they are there yet. But if he ever gets the 3rd hardworking, hard nosed guy on that line you will see their minutes rise.
Again... Ron and Randy have given Colton Orr roughly the same amount of minutes when he was healthy. Ron stopped using Colton when it was clear he wasn't at the correct fitness level to contribute to an NHL team, which is a direct result of the time away from training due to Colton's concussion.

Your point about rolling 4 lines vs not rolling 4 lines isn't valid due to the comparable TOI Toronto's tough guys (specifically Colton Orr) received under both coaches when everyone was healthy.


veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:59 PM
  #289
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
Goalies work very hard on their technique in the modern game. You see more guys in strong positions to stop a puck. When you bear down on them there is usually very little to shoot at. The best thing a player can do is try to make the goalie move and open him up. That way you can slide it in five hole or put the puck in a position he has vacated or failed to move to as quickly as you have.

And with JVR coming across the net like that the variables are always larger. Its all a matter of creativity, quick reaction and a little luck.

Sometimes you get the bear. Sometimes the bear gets you.
It was almost so easy that it worked in a sense.

9/10 guys try to go five hole in that situation. JVR put it where it almost always get stopped... worked out nicely, Boucher closed up like he was going five hole and gave JVR the whole right side.

topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:00 AM
  #290
The Winter Soldier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: China
Posts: 43,316
vCash: 500
Grabo has been taken off the PP due to better offensive players are now available in Kadri and Frattin. This is the only reason.

We have the most expensive shut down Center playing between 2 defensive studs in Komarov and Kule in the NHL.

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:01 AM
  #291
AddMan3001
Don't poke the bear!
 
AddMan3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cambridge, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Look at how high Carlyle has Grabovski trailing his wingers when they're carrying the puck into the offensive zone. He's often just at the blueline by the time they're below the icing line.

They've also been taken off the PP completely. This has become a shutdown line.
Isn't that the way Carlye says he likes his teams? Second line is more the shutdown line, and the 3rd line is left open for more scoring opportunities. Sure seems to be effective so far.

Still, even if the 2nd line is shutting down all the big lines, I still want more offensive production from Grabs, especially with what he's getting paid. Hopefully he's just going through a kessel-like slump offensively. The Carolina rematch would be a perfect time to break out of it

AddMan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:01 AM
  #292
The Winter Soldier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: China
Posts: 43,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
Again... Ron and Randy have given Colton Orr roughly the same amount of minutes when he was healthy. Ron stopped using Colton when it was clear he wasn't at the correct fitness level to contribute to an NHL team, which is a direct result of the time away from training due to Colton's concussion.

Your point about rolling 4 lines vs not rolling 4 lines isn't valid due to the comparable TOI Toronto's tough guys (specifically Colton Orr) received under both coaches when everyone was healthy.

You telling us, Ron Wilson is utilizing Orr and Mclaren the same way Randy Carlyle is?

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:02 AM
  #293
bunjay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
Goalies work very hard on their technique in the modern game. You see more guys in strong positions to stop a puck. When you bear down on them there is usually very little to shoot at. The best thing a player can do is try to make the goalie move and open him up. That way you can slide it in five hole or put the puck in a position he has vacated or failed to move to as quickly as you have.

And with JVR coming across the net like that the variables are always larger. Its all a matter of creativity, quick reaction and a little luck.

Sometimes you get the bear. Sometimes the bear gets you.
It just looks weird. I don't think I've ever seen a goalie pull his leg in so far like that on someone cutting to the net that the puck could hit their pad along the ice and still go into the net. Boucher's right foot is like, directly behind him.

The funny thing is that he read the play right (five-hole), but still managed to screw up the technique so badly. You're supposed to cover the fivehold with your stick as you slide across, and goalies usually only pull their legs in behind them if they've already felt or seen the puck go through.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:02 AM
  #294
sangreale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
I gotta give Mac credit there, sliding backwards to anticipate Kadri's pass for that one timer. Man, does Kadri and Frattin have great chemistry or what? No look pass between the Flyers player's legs to Kadri, and then a beauty pass to Mac.
Kadri has a great touch with the puck. I mean you could not have told everyone to stand still skate over and drop the puck with your hand in a better spot for Mac and Mac saw it coming. He hammered it. If I was in net I would have just rolled my eyes.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:04 AM
  #295
Kiotzu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeylaw View Post
I believe he has assisted on five of them.
Thank you.

Kiotzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:04 AM
  #296
sangreale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
It just looks weird. I don't think I've ever seen a goalie pull his leg in so far like that on someone cutting to the net that the puck could hit their pad along the ice and still go into the net. Boucher's right foot is like, directly behind him.

The funny thing is that he read the play right (five-hole), but still managed to screw up the technique so badly. You're supposed to cover the fivehold with your stick as you slide across, and goalie usually only pull their legs in if they've already felt or seen the puck go through.
Yup and he always gets the stick in the right place every time ... in practice.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:07 AM
  #297
bunjay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddMan3001 View Post
Isn't that the way Carlye says he likes his teams? Second line is more the shutdown line, and the 3rd line is left open for more scoring opportunities. Sure seems to be effective so far.

Still, even if the 2nd line is shutting down all the big lines, I still want more offensive production from Grabs, especially with what he's getting paid. Hopefully he's just going through a kessel-like slump offensively. The Carolina rematch would be a perfect time to break out of it
They are creating a lot of chances. Aside from the ones that didnt score tonight, the Phaneuf goal happened because of work by all three forwards on the Grabo line.

Seems obvious to me that Grabo himself, as the center, has been told to stay high and focus less on carrying the puck and going to the net himself when his line is on against top forwards.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:09 AM
  #298
The Winter Soldier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: China
Posts: 43,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
Kadri has a great touch with the puck. I mean you could not have told everyone to stand still skate over and drop the puck with your hand in a better spot for Mac and Mac saw it coming. He hammered it. If I was in net I would have just rolled my eyes.
Only Ron Wilson would not use an offensive talent like Kadri by putting out less offensively creative players on the PP.

Kadri has the best on ice vision of any Leaf including Kessel on the team, when Rielly gets here, we can debate this again. But Kadri is more offensively gifted than Bozak, and much more offensively gifted than Grabo.

You are correct, that pass to Macarthur only a handful of NHL players can do in the NHL. Right now I am not unhappy we finished 7th last and not 5th last. He was better than Schenn tonight by a wide margin.

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:09 AM
  #299
sangreale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddMan3001 View Post
Isn't that the way Carlye says he likes his teams? Second line is more the shutdown line, and the 3rd line is left open for more scoring opportunities. Sure seems to be effective so far.

Still, even if the 2nd line is shutting down all the big lines, I still want more offensive production from Grabs, especially with what he's getting paid. Hopefully he's just going through a kessel-like slump offensively. The Carolina rematch would be a perfect time to break out of it
Agreed. He has been a bit snake bit. I wish they would have got him cheaper but that dude is a pest to play against. If the line they are playing against thinks they will take a couple of shifts off Garbo's crew will fill the net.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:10 AM
  #300
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 35,317
vCash: 500
Having a player as good as Grabovski as your 3rd line centre.....is the kind of strength that only really good teams have.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.