Jets Defense

Old
02-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I personally agree with this, and resonate with what you said.

If that D corps can become stable (wrt health-wsie), then by the time Trouba is ready to join (I expect this to be the 2014-2015 season) it could really be something special.

Give that type of D with another season under its belt, and with our coaching staff (who I think are doing a fine job but thats my own opinion) and it should be a very solid D overall.

Hey Jet, how about an offence thread too?
Haha as a defenseman, and someone who has a real love and passion for the position, I felt like I had a 'mission' to write about our D corps. I think my feelings about the forwards can be a little flaky depending on how they are playing.

You should take a shot at it! I'll give my super emotional in the moment thoughts on them

02-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Does a team that is close to a cup want or need Stu? Boston didn't.
Yes! I see him as a Commodore type. A guy that a contender picks up as a bench guy and that could come in and play a pivotal role should there be injuries.

A guy like Stuart is VERY important to a winner, and wouldn't mind him staying just because our D is in pretty nice balance (though if we could switch out Hainsey for someone more physical I'd be elated).

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Until they have another legitimate #4 to take over his minutes I see no way the Jets can let Hainsey go. The UFA market for top 4 defencemen will likely be very thin again, no one internally seems likely to handle such minutes and addressing such a need through trade would be expensive.

Wouldn't think twice about handing him a 2 year 8M contract because I think it will be just that hard to find a top 4 guy.
There will be some nice players available as teams try to become cap compliant, I think.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:11 AM
almostawake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
There will be some nice players available as teams try to become cap compliant, I think.
We'll have to see. I am pretty sceptical. A couple top 4 guys may end up being added to the pool but beyond that I'd be surprised.

When I look at the guys scheduled for UFA next summer, I'd very generously estimate there are between 7 and 10 guys capable of still playing 22+ minutes a night at the NHL level. Some of those guys will be resigned before the summer and many more are close to retirement and/or would seem to have little interest in the Jets (ex. Gonchar).

The truth is the pool will be so thin that if Hainsey makes it to UFA he'll probably one of the top 5 defencemen available.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:08 PM
StronGeer
Butterfele

vCash: 149
Healthy Defensive Lineup

With all of the talk about the defensive lineup in the Flyers Pre-game, I'd like to pose the following question since it doesn't have anything to do with the Flyers game specifically:
When Bogo and Buff are back in the lineup, whenever that happens, what pairings do you like, and who do you want to see sit/get sent down?

For myself, the ideal pairings look like;

Byfuglien - Enstrom
Bogosian - Hainsey
Redmond - Stuart

Postma is a healthy scratch and do whatever you want with Clitsome. You can sit him until Mittens gets off IR, but I'd rather waive Clitsome than Postma.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Sorry, a post for this already exists. My bad

Last edited by StronGeer: 02-11-2013 at 01:31 PM.
StronGeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:24 PM
knorthern knight

I'll throw in my 2 cents (which now rounds off to zero )
  • Hainsey is not overpaid; if anything, he's been underutilized. The exception has been the past few games where he's been used to his full potential, and shown that he's worth what he's getting paid. I disagree with this talk about replacing him with somebody off waivers. Other clubs will be dumping their "Clitsomes" at the waiver wire. Good defensemen will not be there. As for UFA's next summer, anybody as good as Hainsey will be asking a high price, plus we may face UFA's not wanting to play in Winnipeg (sad, but true). Hainsey still has a couple of good years left. Re-sign him for a couple of years at $3.5 million per year. That would be a bridge until Redmond/Postma/Trouba are ready.
  • Grant Clitsome is expendable. Redmond/Postma/Meech are available on the farm. They may not be Hainsey-replacements, but they're all capable of playing at the NHL level.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:01 AM
GoldenJet89

One thing not being talked about enough is the fact that Redmond is the only one that wouldnt have to clear waivers to be sent down

id hate to see it cause of his solid play. but i just dont see the jets wanted to lose clitsome or postma on the waiver wire. so either they keep 8 D up or send Redmond back to the rock....

GoldenJet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Gm0ney

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJet89 View Post
One thing not being talked about enough is the fact that Redmond is the only one that wouldnt have to clear waivers to be sent down

id hate to see it cause of his solid play. but i just dont see the jets wanted to lose clitsome or postma on the waiver wire. so either they keep 8 D up or send Redmond back to the rock....
I'm sure the Jets wouldn't be too heartbroken if someone grabbed Clitsome off waivers... He's making $1.4 million on a one-way deal, so have-at-er, rest of the NHL!

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:06 AM
Guerzy
Serenity

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJet89 View Post

That's been discussed, if not this thread than another. I'd hate to see it, personally, since Redmond is absolutely deserving of a spot on this team, but based on contracts it is the 'easy' route and option to take. It's not the right option for me because in this case, all circumstances considered, I believe in awarding ones play and icing the teams absolute best roster, and that would mean Clitsome being the odd man out if we had to choose between defenseman to get rid of.

Who knows, we may just waive Peluso in order to keep our defensive depth intact. Depends how the coaches/management value things.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:27 AM
GoldenJet89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachy Goj View Post
That's been discussed, if not this thread than another. I'd hate to see it, personally, since Redmond is absolutely deserving of a spot on this team, but based on contracts it is the 'easy' route and option to take. It's not the right option for me because in this case, all circumstances considered, I believe in awarding ones play and icing the teams absolute best roster, and that would mean Clitsome being the odd man out if we had to choose between defenseman to get rid of.

Who knows, we may just waive Peluso in order to keep our defensive depth intact. Depends how the coaches/management value things.
i completely agree. i always want to field the best team possible. im just trying to guess at what management may want to do.

i personally would risk throwing clitsome on waivers. im sure most fans would, if he does get claimed it SHOULDNT be too hard to find someone to replace him for the icecaps or for an extra dman down the road this season

keeping 8 dmen around seems a bit much. tough scenario

GoldenJet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:26 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 317
We are also trying to win games. Even with a healthy lineup we will be in a battle to make the playoffs. I don't see how the Jets can do anything but go with their best lineup when Bogo is ready to play. Which makes it:

Toby - Buff
Hainsey - Bogo
Stuart - Redmond

That gives us our best chance to win. Postma #7 depth for injuries and to slide into the lineup when needed. Take your chances on Clitsome being claimed off waivers when sent down.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Guerzy
Serenity

Gary Lawless says, 'Postma most likely candidate to trade'.

Full article here - http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...190806031.html

Quote:
Paul Postma is the most attractive and moveable asset the Winnipeg Jets own, so expect to hear his name quite a bit as NHL trade talks heat up.

For what the Jets want -- a forward adding size and skill -- GM Kevin Cheveldayoff will have to dangle serious bait. Postma, at this stage, best fits that description.

Ok, but if we trade Postma for a forward with size and skill, more moves would have to follow given our forward depth. I personally don't like the idea of trading Postma right now or even this season for that matter. We have all seen how brittle our defensive unit is. Bogosian could go down at any time, as could Byfuglien. To trade Postma would be rolling the dice and playing things pretty close to the edge, too close to the edge for my liking. Now, if we could get a nice young forward back, i'd certainly likely do it, but we really have to remember how injury prone our defensive unit is. I have been really happy with both Redmond and Postma, so for me, the best option is them sharing the 6 spot. Rotate them. Plus, injuries are going to happen.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:03 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 0
Quote:

Ok, but if we trade Postma for a forward with size and skill, more moves would have to follow given our forward depth.
Eyup: package deal for Postma plus a forward and a pick? Wonder what that could score them.

For the record, I'm not calling for Postma to be traded - I like where his game is going. Just ruminating on Lawless' article...

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:08 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Eyup: package deal for Postma plus a forward and a pick? Wonder what that could score them.

For the record, I'm not calling for Postma to be traded - I like where his game is going. Just ruminating on Lawless' article...
Lawless opines a lot, so that's what I'll call this article. We don't know if we're buyers or sellers yet, and likely won't know until mid-March at the earliest. It would be foolhardy to attempt to move our defensive depth just after having all of our guns back.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:12 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post

The one thing about trading Postma, it would be the Jets only opportunity at this time to deal from a position of strength (right shooting D). Chevy can wait for the perfect spot. Maybe you can package him with a 2nd round pick and get a difference maker at forward.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Not trying to give Lawless too much credence, but for the sake of argument let's say he's right in that the Jets were talking to a few teams over the weekend and Postma's name was coming up.

Which teams out there would be a fit for Postma? It wouldn't be a contender I would think. Nothing against Postma, but he doesn't seem like the type of D man a contender picks up to try to go on a run. They would be more interested in Hainsey / Stuart type. Reliable vets.

So would it be more of a young / up and coming team? A team not looking to contend, but one that is weak on the back-end and looking for young blue line talent? If so, which teams would be in that category? Edmonton?

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:05 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Not trying to give Lawless too much credence, but for the sake of argument let's say he's right in that the Jets were talking to a few teams over the weekend and Postma's name was coming up.

Which teams out there would be a fit for Postma? It wouldn't be a contender I would think. Nothing against Postma, but he doesn't seem like the type of D man a contender picks up to try to go on a run. They would be more interested in Hainsey / Stuart type. Reliable vets.

So would it be more of a young / up and coming team? A team not looking to contend, but one that is weak on the back-end and looking for young blue line talent? If so, which teams would be in that category? Edmonton?
Teams that are struggling to with their PP or struggling to get points from their blue line could make sense.

Postma to Buffalo for ??

Postma to the Flyers for ?? (maybe Akeson plus)

Postma plus to Colorado for ROR!

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:32 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

According to the media yesterday, we hade one of 16 (?) scouts at the CBJ - SJS game. Maybe one of the 2 teams asked the Jets about a RHD? Maybe that's why there were looking at their players to see which one could be interesting for Postma?

Idk... pure speculating.

But as said, we're in a very comfortable position to deal one of Redmond/Postma. We don't have to at all and the league lacks young offensive RHD. That's a recipe for an overpayment

But if we don't have a A+ offer for him, don't trade him until we're sure about being a seller or a buyer.

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:41 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
According to the media yesterday, we hade one of 16 (?) scouts at the CBJ - SJS game. Maybe one of the 2 teams asked the Jets about a RHD? Maybe that's why there were looking at their players to see which one could be interesting for Postma?

Idk... pure speculating.

But as said, we're in a very comfortable position to deal one of Redmond/Postma. We don't have to at all and the league lacks young offensive RHD. That's a recipe for an overpayment

But if we don't have a A+ offer for him, don't trade him until we're sure about being a seller or a buyer.
Columbus surely isn't asking about adding a D man they have too many as is. Unless they want to do something like Postma for Erixon, no go.

I could see the Sharks wanting to add a little more punch on the back end though.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Guerzy
Serenity

Minnesota could use worthy defenseman. Whether they'd be interested in a young guy, I don't know.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:08 AM
sully1410

I could see NYR bein interested. They only have one puck mover on their defensive core.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:10 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Columbus surely isn't asking about adding a D man they have too many as is. Unless they want to do something like Postma for Erixon, no go.

I could see the Sharks wanting to add a little more punch on the back end though.
Erixon vs. Postma straight up?

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:22 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
Erixon vs. Postma straight up?
I'd be for it!

I would even be willing to help them dump some salary.

Postma and a pick for Nikitin or Tyutin

Old
02-12-2013, 11:24 AM
sully1410

Quote:
I'd be for it!

I would even be willing to help them dump some salary.

Postma and a pick for Nikitin or Tyutin
Ha ha ha ha. Dump some salary indeed. Tyuin has been a stud for my hockey pool so far, 9pts in 12 games.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:41 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:

Ok, but if we trade Postma for a forward with size and skill, more moves would have to follow given our forward depth. I personally don't like the idea of trading Postma right now or even this season for that matter. We have all seen how brittle our defensive unit is. Bogosian could go down at any time, as could Byfuglien. To trade Postma would be rolling the dice and playing things pretty close to the edge, too close to the edge for my liking. Now, if we could get a nice young forward back, i'd certainly likely do it, but we really have to remember how injury prone our defensive unit is. I have been really happy with both Redmond and Postma, so for me, the best option is them sharing the 6 spot. Rotate them. Plus, injuries are going to happen.
Dammit... now why did you go show me that...
I exploded and corrected peoples poor logic in the comments section... what a waste of time.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote