HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The "soon-to-be" crowded blueline

Old
02-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
i know holzer played well against montreal but i wouldn't pencil him in for #1 pair with dion quite yet.
Why not? If he keeps playing a simple, effective game, there's no reason not to play him with Dion 5-on-5. It's not about having your best players together, it's about getting the most out of everyone, so if Holzer fits, you don't try to shoehorn someone else in there to fix something that isn't broke.

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Parkdale
In Reimer We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by theneuf33 View Post
i feel like when Gunnar is back holzer will be sent down to the marlies not based on play but contract status, we dont want to lose any guys on waivers. after that it will be whoever plays well stays in the lineup
Yeah, the Leafs wouldn't hesitate to put Komisarek on waivers, but his MNC precludes that. Barring a trade, I think we will see a constant rotating of players from healthy scratch, injury reserve, excess D dressed...but no losing of a D for nothing. Sending Holzer down is an option, but he is playing so well....

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

the OP is accurate except one thing. Phanuef played his best hockey with Hamerlik not Regher.

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:14 PM
theneuf33
@TheDamager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
Yeah, the Leafs wouldn't hesitate to put Komisarek on waivers, but his MNC precludes that. Barring a trade, I think we will see a constant rotating of players from healthy scratch, injury reserve, excess D dressed...but no losing of a D for nothing. Sending Holzer down is an option, but he is playing so well....
true id hate to do it as well but who else can go down without waivers, i dont think kostka or fraser can so unless someone else gets injured or we make a trade

theneuf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:21 PM
RedRenegade

What do you guys think of a Gardiner-Holzer pairing somewhere down the line? To me it seems like they would be a pretty good compliment to each other.

RedRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:02 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
agreed. i actually like a Phaneuf-Franson pairing
Franson bleeds scoring chances. Phaneuf needs less defensive responsibility, not more. We have so many puck movers and not enough defensive guys of the same caliber. Definitely a tough situation. Times like this I'm glad I'm not Randy Carlyle

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Lufa

Remainder of this year:

Phaneuf - Holzer (Holzer is a perfect fit for Dion as long as he can consistently play 20+ minutes)
Liles - Kostka (No need to bring up Gards yet)
Fraser - Franson (Solid bottom pairing, Franson asked for a bigger role and is being used properly)

Carlyle likes his LD/RD pairings, and I can't see him resorting back to Gunner - Phaneuf

Komisarek and Liles wont be here for next year, and I'm having a hard time fitting both Rielly and Gardiner into this roster moving forward, especially if Phaneuf stays longterm.

With the way the D is gelling right now, I could see Gardiner being moved. He could definitely help bring in a potential 1C candidate (Though I'm not fond of moving him just yet). If Rielly is able to make the jump next year, do you play him on the right side of Gunnerson, or will Kostka/Franson be able to solidify a top 4 spot moving forward? Do we bring in another defensively solid RHD?

We have a clear abundance of mobile PMD, who all play on the left side. It's a fairly good problem to have, but something has to change

Lufa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:09 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

man we shoulda amnesties Komi in the offseason when we had a chance.

now we're faced with the ugly situation where he being on the roster might mean there's no room to even think of calling up gardiner or rielly.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Ricky Bobby

Trade Franson to a team that desperately needs D.

Beyond this season I can see one of Gardiner or Gunnarson being our best trading chip to acquire a top RD or an upgrade at center.

Our left side is a major area of strength.

Phaneuf
Liles
Gunnarson
Rielly
Gardiner
Ranger (who I feel could step right into a top 4 role)
Finn

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:53 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
i know holzer played well against montreal but i wouldn't pencil him in for #1 pair with dion quite yet.
Dion always plays better with a big physical defensive Dman. He played some of his best hockey with Aulie. Dion is not a defensive dman. Pinches a lot. Goes for the big hit. Takes chances. He needs a stay at home guy with toughness. Need someone to help in all the scrums because Dion is a target out there. Without someone physical and we saw this last year -- it was Dion fighting all 5 guys from the other team and no one helping.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:55 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
man we shoulda amnesties Komi in the offseason when we had a chance.

now we're faced with the ugly situation where he being on the roster might mean there's no room to even think of calling up gardiner or rielly.
Can't amnesty anyone until the summer.

We'll need Komi for depth anyway.

We'll definitely be making a trade close to the deadline, MacArthur and Probably Liles/Franson/other lower end d-man will be going in a trade.

It's good to have extra D, but we have what, 9 guys? that's one too many IMO.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 863
I'm most excited about the junior D-men we have: Rielly, Percy, and Finn.

All three have great hockey iq, and all three have great character. Percy and Finn are both captains. I think there's a decent chance all three become quality NHL regulars, and Rielly has a chance at being a star.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:11 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
I'm most excited about the junior D-men we have: Rielly, Percy, and Finn.

All three have great hockey iq, and all three have great character. Percy and Finn are both captains. I think there's a decent chance all three become quality NHL regulars, and Rielly has a chance at being a star.
Finn has a great chance as well, could've easily been a 1st rounder.

Percy apparently has problems with his skating, someone can correct me on that.

but Rielly is clearly going to be an NHL d-man, at least a great offensive one.

Our blueline is coming together really nicely.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:51 PM
12345*

everyone's doing their job well - quite the backlog we have.

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
Komi, the way it surely looks now, will be amnestied in the summer.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:13 PM
The_Chosen_One

Kostka played a solid 25 minutes today just like he as in previous games (including losses). It is rather likely that he's going to be on top 4. Gardiner and Gunnar are going to have to out compete Kostka in order to replace him.

Top 4
Phaneuf - Holzer
Liles - Kostka

I think that Gunnars may be able to replace Liles. If he can replace his offensive role on the PP, even better. It looks like the Leafs will in a position of strength coming trade deadline.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Honestly this is going to be tough.

I agree with OP but I don't think we are ready to trade JML.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:18 PM
JackJ

Phaneuf Holzer
Gunnarsson Gardiner
Fraser Kostka

Trade: Liles, Franson
Amnesty: Komisarek

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:11 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Phaneuf Holzer
Gunnarsson Gardiner
Fraser Kostka

Trade: Liles, Franson
Amnesty: Komisarek
Yeah, lets trade all our offense from the D. What are you thinking?

Franson and Fraser are playing really well together and provide a very optimal combination.

Liles is essentially untradable - he just signed a 4 year x 4 mil contract. You don't trade players after they sign contracts - players then fear you will screw them as well.

Phaneuf - Holzer
Gunnarson - Liles
Fraser - Franson
Komisarek, Kostka

Gardiner needs to back to peak physical condition. He is in a sophomore year. If he comes back to early, his confidence will get crushed.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:11 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
Honestly this is going to be tough.

I agree with OP but I don't think we are ready to trade JML.
I'd love to be its essentially impossible given the contract he was just given last year.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:12 PM
TheMadHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufa View Post
With the way the D is gelling right now, I could see Gardiner being moved.
I could see it happening too, though it would have to be the right player, as I love Gardiner. I would actually prefer to trade Rielly, but Gardiner probably has more value right now. If we could get a young the center equivalent of Gardiner (with his potential I mean), I would strongly consider it. With our pick this year we could add a very good young defenseman like Morrisey, Nurse, Hagg, Zadorov.

Just a question. If Florida or Colorado got the third overall pick (Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm) and they were willing to trade it for Gardiner or Rielly, would you do it?

TheMadHatTrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:15 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
I could see it happening too, though it would have to be the right player, as I love Gardiner. I would actually prefer to trade Rielly, but Gardiner probably has more value right now. If we could get a young the center equivalent of Gardiner (with his potential I mean), I would strongly consider it. With our pick this year we could add a very good young defenseman like Morrisey, Nurse, Hagg, Zadorov.

Just a question. If Florida or Colorado got the third overall pick (Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm) and they were willing to trade it for Gardiner or Rielly, would you do it?
If I were to trade 1, I would trade Gardiner alone or in a package - and it would have to be for a blue chip 1C prospect.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:17 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Holzer looks better than Gunnar
Fraser is better than Komi
Kostka looks better than Schenn
Franson is better than Gardiner overall

I see no reason to change our defence right now.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sangreale

Franson is starting to pick it up at both ends of the rink. And Phaneuf plays better when he has less 5 on 5 offensive responsibility and stays within himself. On the power play that shot makes things a different matter.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheMadHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
If I were to trade 1, I would trade Gardiner alone or in a package - and it would have to be for a blue chip 1C prospect.
Would you trade Gardiner straight up for Barkov? Imagining him beside JVR on the first line someday makes me smile. lol

TheMadHatTrick is online now   Reply With Quote