HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #13| Feb. 11, 2013|Flyers at Maple Leafs |(Continuation of GDT)

Old
02-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Move Le Hobbit into C and Simmonds up - then Knuble up.
I think one thing is for sure, our first unit power play needs to be centered all around Hobbit. Giroux is a creative player who freestyles with the puck on his stick as well as anyone, but I don't think he runs the powerplay as well as Danny B. can when he's healthy (I know people are going to argue that ferociously). I would really like to see him double shifted every power play (i.e. he doesn't come off) and his time on Giroux's wing 5 on 5 cut back if neccesary. He's an okay 5 on 5 player and a PP killer. I think he could be more efficiently utilized in this fashion.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

After getting handled by the Flyers last year, I noticed something different.

The Leafs got owned by the Flyers cycle game last year, and I think a lot of that had to do with the size of the Flyers wingers. With Hartnell being hurt, and Jvr + Jagr sent packing that is a ton of size lost from the wing. I know JVR and Jagr aren't rawr rawr big forwards, but their size was always respected, and they had the skill to go along with it. Add those guys with Voracek and Simmonds and the Flyers simply were too much for the Leafs.

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:01 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I disagree regarding what we could have gotten for JVR. We sold at his lowest possible value. If he had a good month here we could've gotten some value for him at the deadline. Bringing the Schenns together is the x-factor in it I guess, but that motive didn't really do it for me. I guess there's no sense getting myself all annoyed about it now. At least Luke is turning out to be a decent D-man.

I appreciate your point regarding team needs, but I would disagree that I failed to recognize it. I just have a different philosophy I suppose. You start to tailor your trade to team needs when youre gearing up for title contention. When you're still a player or two away you don't lose trades just to band-aid areas of need. And we don't have a cup calibre team. The D and net minding haven't been bad. Our offense needs a spark, so even with the team argument in mind, you could make a case for having kept JVR. That is a bit misleading though IMO, as I think a good puck mover besides Kimmo is really what we are missing at the moment. When Mezsaros is healthy and paired with a guy like Coburn I think he fills that role well enough, but his health hasn't ever been somehting that can be depended on.

I personally feel that a Schenn-lite player could have been signed in free agency or traded for and we would not have felt the difference as much as we are missing a healthy JVR's game right now. I do recognize this isn't JVR's first streak however, so this line of thinking may bite me in the ass, but I'll just have to see.
Schenn is 23 and is under contract for like 4 more years or something like that. He is in no way a "band-aid". He is a long-term solution for the defense.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Tough game tonight fellas. As a fan of the opposing team, it was apparent that Hartnall means a lot to the forwards. Was a totally different team than I'm used to watching

These games happen, don't worry about it. Leafs are a decent team...nothing to be ashamed of

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:19 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
I disagree regarding what we could have gotten for JVR. We sold at his lowest possible value. If he had a good month here we could've gotten some value for him at the deadline. Bringing the Schenns together is the x-factor in it I guess, but that motive didn't really do it for me. I guess there's no sense getting myself all annoyed about it now. At least Luke is turning out to be a decent D-man.

I appreciate your point regarding team needs, but I would disagree that I failed to recognize it. I just have a different philosophy I suppose. You start to tailor your trade to team needs when youre gearing up for title contention. When you're still a player or two away you don't lose trades just to band-aid areas of need. And we don't have a cup calibre team. The D and net minding haven't been bad. Our offense needs a spark, so even with the team argument in mind, you could make a case for having kept JVR. That is a bit misleading though IMO, as I think a good puck mover besides Kimmo is really what we are missing at the moment. When Mezsaros is healthy and paired with a guy like Coburn I think he fills that role well enough, but his health hasn't ever been somehting that can be depended on.

I personally feel that a Schenn-lite player could have been signed in free agency or traded for and we would not have felt the difference as much as we are missing a healthy JVR's game right now. I do recognize this isn't JVR's first streak however, so this line of thinking may bite me in the ass, but I'll just have to see.
I agree with everything you're saying, I'm just not sold on this trade completely blowing up in the Flyers face yet. I think Schenn will be part of the core as they continue to grow in the next 3-5 seasons. You need a couple of guys like Schenn on your team if you want a championship level defense. L.A. had Mitchell, Greene, and Scuderi who are all primarily stay at home guys.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:59 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

My impression of this game.

Need a throw up emoticon.

I have no idea what the hell the defense was doing most of the night, and neither did they.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:28 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Needed to win this game tonight and tomorrow. The rest of this trip gets a bit more difficult. I am frightened at the thought of what happens if we play the way they did tonight in NJ and Pittsburgh at the end of the trip.
i am probably glad I didnt watch it given what I read. I probably would of throw my remote thru my HD TV.
CG Sorry you had to witness that game up close and personal.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:02 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
Schenn is 23 and is under contract for like 4 more years or something like that. He is in no way a "band-aid". He is a long-term solution for the defense.
A Band-aid is a Band-aid, regardless of how long you leave it on.

If luke is never better than what he is now (adequate) then the Flyers will likely have lost that trade just to band-aid a team need on a non-cup calibre team.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I agree with everything you're saying, I'm just not sold on this trade completely blowing up in the Flyers face yet. I think Schenn will be part of the core as they continue to grow in the next 3-5 seasons. You need a couple of guys like Schenn on your team if you want a championship level defense. L.A. had Mitchell, Greene, and Scuderi who are all primarily stay at home guys.
I wouldn't characterize it as blowing up in their faces, even if JVR turns into a 30 goal scorer and they just get years of unspectacular service from Schenn. I just think they stand a good chance of coming out on the losing end as time goes on.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:16 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Anyone else done with Foster experiment if Lavy refuses to use him on top pp, I think I would rather Lilja. Puke.
I would rather see Gus being called up for a couple of games to see if he could be an option not only for the rest of the season but also for next year, maybe even Lauridson who may pull a Bourdon and actually play better in the NHL than in the AHL.

Foster is a non-factor at best and a major liability in most games...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:19 AM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
I wouldn't characterize it as blowing up in their faces, even if JVR turns into a 30 goal scorer and they just get years of unspectacular service from Schenn. I just think they stand a good chance of coming out on the losing end as time goes on.

Doom and gloom.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:24 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
After getting handled by the Flyers last year, I noticed something different.

The Leafs got owned by the Flyers cycle game last year, and I think a lot of that had to do with the size of the Flyers wingers. With Hartnell being hurt, and Jvr + Jagr sent packing that is a ton of size lost from the wing. I know JVR and Jagr aren't rawr rawr big forwards, but their size was always respected, and they had the skill to go along with it. Add those guys with Voracek and Simmonds and the Flyers simply were too much for the Leafs.
Good point. I actually didn't get to see the whole game (lucky me!), but your point about Jagr speaks to more than just their success against the Leafs -- his ability to control the puck on the boards, and the respect that teams give him, was definitely a big part of the success that he and Giroux had last year.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:12 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

If luke is never better than what he is now (adequate) then the Flyers will likely have lost that trade just to band-aid a team need on a non-cup calibre team.
Schenn is in no way a band-aid. He is a young defenseman with as much an upside as JvR. While JvR is having a good start to this season, we won't know who "won" this trade for years. Yes, if Schenn never gets better the Flyers will "lose" the trade. Thank you for pointing out the obvious.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:30 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
I like the "our 2nd year players will step up and get better," because that's exactly what everyone said in 2006, right before the worst season in team history. This team isn't that bad, it isn't that good either. They will be in the 6-11 range when this is done.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:37 AM
BernieParent

I just want to voice (so to speak) my appreciation for the Leafs fans who have posted here, both before and after the game, with great sportsmanship. I don't know if I could be as good a sport as you are were the tables turned. So, thanks.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:39 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:

JvR and Schenn are the same age. They both have room to grow.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:43 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I like the "our 2nd year players will step up and get better," because that's exactly what everyone said in 2006, right before the worst season in team history. This team isn't that bad, it isn't that good either. They will be in the 6-11 range when this is done.
If you're gonna miss the playoffs and suck, this would be the perfect year. I just think they're gonna be too good to get a top 10 pick but not good enough to make the playoffs.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:48 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
If you're gonna miss the playoffs and suck, this would be the perfect year. I just think they're gonna be too good to get a top 10 pick but not good enough to make the playoffs.
Yep. That's the unfortunate part of it. It's really crappy that you get rewarded for being very bad. The NHL has taken the step of leveling the playing field for the non-playoff teams, but the law of averages is that the top picks will be to bottom-feeders. I'll projectile vomit if the Oilers pick top 3 again this year.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Psuhockey

A lot people are pointing to roster issues as the reason for this crapulence, and no doubt there are holes. However, New Jersey is leading the conference right now. Compare the rosters. I don't see how they are at all better than the Flyers at any position right now.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:56 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I just want to voice (so to speak) my appreciation for the Leafs fans who have posted here, both before and after the game, with great sportsmanship. I don't know if I could be as good a sport as you are were the tables turned. So, thanks.
The ones that were sitting around us were cool as well. When a drunk Leaf fan pushed a Flyer fan down the stairs the Leaf fans were really pissed off and wanted him tossed. Security came up and took care of things.

Regarding the game, did it really look like the Flyers had that many SOG? None of us thought that was the case.

The first period was awful for both teams, like a bunch of 5 year olds with the puck bouncing off stick to stick. The game changed when the Leafs scored.

Simmonds played well but he's also from here so it's really no surprise. This is always a big game when family and friends are in the arena.

There weren't as many Flyer fans as in past games we've been to.

Claude Giroux, we miss you!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:57 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
A lot people are pointing to roster issues as the reason for this crapulence, and no doubt there are holes. However, New Jersey is leading the conference right now. Compare the rosters. I don't see how they are at all better than the Flyers at any position right now.
Jersey has a great system and the players are in lockstep executing it well. They have had a number of great players on their squad but it has mostly been about the system. The Flyers currently look like a team formed after everyone tossed their sticks into a pile at centre ice.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:47 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Jersey has a great system and the players are in lockstep executing it well. They have had a number of great players on their squad but it has mostly been about the system. The Flyers currently look like a team formed after everyone tossed their sticks into a pile at centre ice.
Exactly.
Flyers are not 1-2 players away from winning games. They do not look cohesive, and it's not fixable by a trade or 2.

I beleive, and had stated that many a times, that system and execution as well as putting players in right places in right time is on coaching staff.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:59 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
I think one thing is for sure, our first unit power play needs to be centered all around Hobbit. Giroux is a creative player who freestyles with the puck on his stick as well as anyone, but I don't think he runs the powerplay as well as Danny B. can when he's healthy (I know people are going to argue that ferociously). I would really like to see him double shifted every power play (i.e. he doesn't come off) and his time on Giroux's wing 5 on 5 cut back if neccesary. He's an okay 5 on 5 player and a PP killer. I think he could be more efficiently utilized in this fashion.
In my opinion, they have to be separated completely. Both of them need room and time to work their magic. They can't create it for each other and ther is not enough Simmonds or McGinn to create that for both of them

I understand that Danny is a defencive liability, but he is not a winger.

Yesterday was a perfect opportunity to put him back in center due to Couts illness.
I hope tonight Lavy places him as 2-3 C and gets a real winger to work with G and Simmer.

Also, it's easy for me to be an arm chair coach.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieparent View Post
the flyers currently look like a team formed after everyone tossed their sticks into a pile at centre ice.
exactly..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Garbage Goal

This isn't a good team. Poorly designed overall. I think they're better then they've shown but still were not good enough to be a contender so what's the point?

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote