HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs 5:2 Flyers! Feels good, man!

Old
02-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
They are creating a lot of chances. Aside from the ones that didnt score tonight, the Phaneuf goal happened because of work by all three forwards on the Grabo line.

Seems obvious to me that Grabo himself, as the center, has been told to stay high and focus less on carrying the puck and going to the net himself when his line is on against top forwards.
In other words no more Ron and Gun to pad stats.

As I said, those 48, 35, 51, 58 point season were achieved under optimum conditions Grabo will never see again. Lucky for him, he got the 5.5 x 5 already.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:13 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Grabo's also being matched against other teams top lines to check them, like being against Giroux tonight ... His first job is to shut them out and then try to provide some offense off of turnovers

While I'd like to see him score more, he's an effective checking centre ... With Kessel's line and Kadri/Frattin picking up the slack, I'm not concerned about Grabo scoring more goals

That being said I'm hoping Grabo can continue to develop his game so that he can shut down teams top lines while scoring 20-25 goals and 50-60 points
And he's been making some good plays which weren't capitalized on. I think once Kulemin figures out how to regain his offensive form, Grabs will have a much more effective offensive arsenal. If that can be realized and Komarov further develops his game, we're really going to end up having three very potent scoring lines.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:13 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
You dont see the shooter go short side on this play very often. Slick hand by JvR
He was trying 5 hole and it went in off Boosh's pad. But we'll take it

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Hockeylaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiotzu View Post
Thank you.
No problem. Loving the chemistry between those two.

Hockeylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:17 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post

As I said, those 48, 35, 51, 58 point season were achieved under optimum conditions Grabo will never see again. Lucky for him, he got the 5.5 x 5 already.
All you focus on are goals and assists. You realize he was a top 3 relative corsi player behind only Chara and Kesler? He plays against the best players in the league - always.

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Superstar

Quote:

It's a blessing in disguise however, as Grabo already got his dough, so he's not inclined at the moment to pad his stats to get that hefty contract, and now has a great chance to work on his all-around game under Carlyle. Good for us too.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:21 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Having a player as good as Grabovski as your 3rd line centre.....is the kind of strength that only really good teams have.
but we need all 3 because we dont have a top center

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:22 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
It's a blessing in disguise however, as Grabo already got his dough, so he's not inclined at the moment to pad his stats to get that hefty contract, and now has a great chance to work on his all-around game under Carlyle. Good for us too.
And preventing a goal is just as important as scoring one under Carlyle. Ron Wilson wanted people to outscore team issues. Carlyle wants people to prevent all possible high quality chances (ie. shut down the other teams top line) and continue scoring at their normal pace.

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:23 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
yeah, the grabo line is clearly his checking line, and the kadri line his second scoring line.
i would agree with this, but imo the grabo line has a little more offense than he is used too.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
i would agree with this, but imo the grabo line has a little more offense than he is used too.
Grabos line has been bad for a while now.

They should not get more minutes than Kadri's line.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Look at how high Carlyle has Grabovski trailing his wingers when they're carrying the puck into the offensive zone. He's often just at the blueline by the time they're below the icing line.

They've also been taken off the PP completely. This has become a shutdown line.
I also think it has to do with the fact that Grabovski, in the past, usually scored on ES. Nikolai Kulemin is no different in this regard, scoring on the counter-attack. This line will become very important offensively if PP opportunities are limited.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
All you focus on are goals and assists. You realize he was a top 3 relative corsi player behind only Chara and Kesler? He plays against the best players in the league - always.
If you are going to post coffee table stats, at least be accurate with them, he was not only behind Chara and Kesler last year.

Guess who has the highest relative corsi for a fwd on the Leafs this year, it isn't Grabo, try another centre that is outscoring him also.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:29 PM
rdawg1234

Grabo has been great without the puck, he's missed on a couple great chances too.

not at all unhappy with him so I don't mind it.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:30 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
Orr wasn't used prior to his concussion, he and Rosehill were thrown out there for a fight in the first and rarely saw the ice after the first period. Do you not see the fundamental difference in the way RC uses his tough guys to RW? Orr is on the ice in last min of periods, he gets rewarded with PP time. Tear your way away from the stats sheets and observe the differences in coaching techniques. Does RC not make a player feel better about themselves?

Just to clarify again, Orr gets credit for working his way back in the lineup, I never inferred he wasn't in better shape. It is well documented here he he lost weight and is quicker this year, but if you want to tell me that Ron Wilson used enforcers well last year, you didn't watch the same games I watched.

Everyone knows RC and RW coach vastly differently, the results speak for themselves, the Orr and Mclaren roles have been vital to this team's identity. Carlyle stated as much as saying before the year there will be a 4th energy line while he is coach, it's a vote of confidence to Orr, Brown, and Mclaren. Wilson had little usage for a 4th line, he accepted what Burke gave him and almost reluctantly used them. That's the biggest difference, if you are telling me a player plays better when they are treated this way, I don't know what to tell you?

So to recap, Orr got himself back after the concussion, he deserves credit there, being a backer of his all along I am not surprised, and also being a backer of his and tougher hockey, he was not used correctly last year, I have no problem with the way RW used Orr the first year he was here, but RW really went smurf hockey last year, and any Leafs fan that witnessed our games against Boston would agree.
You never said Orr wasn't in better shape... but you said that Ron Wilson was the reason he wasn't in the NHL, which is false.

Orr only came completely back from his concussion THIS year. Last year his mind was healthy (there were rumours he was coming back too early frm that injury) but he was not in NHL shape and was sent to the Marlies as a result.

I agree with you that Ron and Randy coach differently. The major difference between Ron and Randy is the defensive focus Randy has brough to the entire club.

Saying that Ron "reluctantly" used a 4th line is nothing but your opinion. You've failed to prove that the 5-6 minutes per game that healthy Colton got under Ron is vastly differernt than the 5-6 minutes that healthy Colton is getting under Randy.

I get that you're a fan of tougher hockey (so am I), which is why you mentioned the Leafs' performances vs the Bruins, but you're focusing on guys who play 4-7 minutes per game and how their play affects a team's performance rather than focusing on Carlyle's influence on getting the players who play heavy minutes to buy into his system.

You see the trees (fights, big hits, not getting pushed around). I encourage you to try and see the forest (defensive play, accountability, chemistry).

I noticed you backpeddling a bit and giving Ron credit for how he used Colton "the first year he was her" but you should also give him credit for how he used Colton in the second year he was here. He played in the first 46 games before he was lost to the season thanks to a concussion.

Orr wasn't an NHL player last season. He's back now because he earned it, not because Wilson took anything away from him. Accept it.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sangreale

Quote:
Only Ron Wilson would not use an offensive talent like Kadri by putting out less offensively creative players on the PP.

Kadri has the best on ice vision of any Leaf including Kessel on the team, when Rielly gets here, we can debate this again. But Kadri is more offensively gifted than Bozak, and much more offensively gifted than Grabo.

You are correct, that pass to Macarthur only a handful of NHL players can do in the NHL. Right now I am not unhappy we finished 7th last and not 5th last. He was better than Schenn tonight by a wide margin.
I cannot disagree with what you state here. Playing on that third line is the perfect storm. It will allow him time to develop in a setting without the same pressure he might experience otherwise. In a couple of years he can be the big Kahuna at centre on the team. There is usually a large talent dropoff from second to third line on most teams. Out boys are looking very solid in comparison.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Everything is fine when you win, but I know Leafs fans, one loss and the knives come out. If he continues on his pointless streak and we lose, I wonder will there be more excuses are will there be blame on #84 this time. Really I doubt the Leafs made him the highest paid fwd on the team to try to turn him into Dave Steckel.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:32 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

I'm assuming you guys missed this earlier.. It's a mantra we should all try to abide by and also extend the same courtesy to Bomber0104:

Quote:
If people could please stop taking Interactif's troll-bait, or at least stop quoting him if you do, I could more easily imagine he doesn't exist at all.

Thanks.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:32 PM
sangreale

Quote:
Everything is fine when you win, but I know Leafs fans, one loss and the knives come out. If he continues on his pointless streak and we lose, I wonder will there be more excuses are will there be blame on #84 this time. Really I doubt the Leafs made him the highest paid fwd on the team to try to turn him into Dave Steckel.
It will be 40 years before Grabo skates a slowly as Steckel does now. OK maybe 50. This team has speed at almost every position. You have been witnessing the concept that "speed kills" against two slower teams the last couple of games. If Steckel is your 2nd line center you are in trouble in this new league.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:35 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

The only main part I agree with Interactif about is Grabo's defensive ability. Yeah, you're all right that its the shutdown line now cause of Kadri and co's success... but that line is responsible b/c of Komarov/Kulemin (IMO -- If you disagree, no need to call me an idiot or anything).

I think Grabo's hockey sense is rather low, thus not being that great defensively.

Just my $.02 canadian - which doesn't exist anymore.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:36 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Grabo has been taken off the PP due to better offensive players are now available in Kadri and Frattin. This is the only reason.

We have the most expensive shut down Center playing between 2 defensive studs in Komarov and Kule in the NHL.
You can't seem to stop harping on Grabovski; getting a bit tiresome really. Great win, Grabo is playing quite well also.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
You never said Orr wasn't in better shape... but you said that Ron Wilson was the reason he wasn't in the NHL, which is false.

Orr only came completely back from his concussion THIS year. Last year his mind was healthy (there were rumours he was coming back too early frm that injury) but he was not in NHL shape and was sent to the Marlies as a result.

I agree with you that Ron and Randy coach differently. The major difference between Ron and Randy is the defensive focus Randy has brough to the entire club.

Saying that Ron "reluctantly" used a 4th line is nothing but your opinion. You've failed to prove that the 5-6 minutes per game that healthy Colton got under Ron is vastly differernt than the 5-6 minutes that healthy Colton is getting under Randy.

I get that you're a fan of tougher hockey (so am I), which is why you mentioned the Leafs' performances vs the Bruins, but you're focusing on guys who play 4-7 minutes per game and how their play affects a team's performance rather than focusing on Carlyle's influence on getting the players who play heavy minutes to buy into his system.

You see the trees (fights, big hits, not getting pushed around). I encourage you to try and see the forest (defensive play, accountability, chemistry).

I noticed you backpeddling a bit and giving Ron credit for how he used Colton "the first year he was her" but you should also give him credit for how he used Colton in the second year he was here. He played in the first 46 games before he was lost to the season thanks to a concussion.

Orr wasn't an NHL player last season. He's back now because he earned it, not because Wilson took anything away from him. Accept it.
Everyone reads my posts here, I don't feel a need to justify what I said last this spring, summer, and fall about Orr to you.

And you are simply wrong if you believe Randy Carlyle is not a reason why Orr is succeeding this year and why Wilson was a reason why Orr didn't. You are implying that the only reason Orr is doing well this year is due to him being in shape.

Which is silly in my view, if Ron Wilson was coaching today, I doubt Orr would even be in the lineup and we certainly would not have Fraser or Mclaren on the team also, you just don't get it, that's fine, you may want to move on, but if you want to keep saying it all had to do with fitness and not coaching philosophies go ahead knock yourself out.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
The only main part I agree with Interactif about is Grabo's defensive ability. Yeah, you're all right that its the shutdown line now cause of Kadri and co's success... but that line is responsible b/c of Komarov/Kulemin (IMO -- If you disagree, no need to call me an idiot or anything).

I think Grabo's hockey sense is rather low, thus not being that great defensively.

Just my $.02 canadian - which doesn't exist anymore.
You are right on the money .

Grabo should be traded or demoted, Connolly style.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
I cannot disagree with what you state here. Playing on that third line is the perfect storm. It will allow him time to develop in a setting without the same pressure he might experience otherwise. In a couple of years he can be the big Kahuna at centre on the team. There is usually a large talent dropoff from second to third line on most teams. Out boys are looking very solid in comparison.
Kadri has certainly made a case for being a legitimate #2C, slight change in RC's coaching here, but it looks like he is playing the Getzlaf role with Frattin as Perry, and Bozie is the Mcdonald's #1C to Kessel's Selanne in Anaheim's glory years.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:42 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
You are right on the money .

Grabo should be traded or demoted, Connolly style.
Well I wasn't saying he should be traded/demoted because he can still be a threat - I just think he needs to work on his decision making.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:43 PM
bunjay

If a guy thinks that only a handful of players in the NHL can make an 8 foot saucer pass, you probably shouldn't take his opinion too seriously.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote