HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jonas Brodin

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2013, 08:58 PM
  #126
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,297
vCash: 50
ohhhh i didn't even click on the link before. I thought you started a new thread something like "Jonas Brodin = Karlsson"

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:58 PM
  #127
FVM
Screaming seagulls
 
FVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 754
vCash: 1301
The more I see him play the more I grow to love him. He just makes the right play and right decision every time and nothing seems to rattle him. In the last period against the Flames he was carrying his D partner Suter. A 19-year-old rookie defenseman carrying Ryan Suter. How absurd is this?

So smooth, so poised. He is a treat to watch.

FVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:34 PM
  #128
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Guernsey
Posts: 15,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
That clearly was not the praise I was talking about. In fact, I actually said this word for word in the post you just quoted.



Not one word in there about the Hall of Fame or Norris Trophies.

And you have yet to provide an actual reason that he isn't a top pairing defenseman other than the fact that he's only played eight games, despite the fact that he's actually playing on the top pairing, and looking amazing doing so. You haven't pointed out any flaws in his game, you haven't posted any evidence proving otherwise. You've seen (I'm guessing) one of his NHL games (when the Wild played the Stars), and you claim to be an expert on the topic.
I'm talking about the fanbase in general, in other threads, discussions, whatever. And reread what I said. "People are all but saying he's hall of fame bound and a future perenial Norris winner". In other words, they've giving him so much praise it's as if they're saying that. I've seen Niklas Lidstrom comparisons, you brought up the one of people saying he's better than Suter.

I don't need to tell you why he's not as good as Wild fans say he is, because it should be obvious. You're telling me, that after less than 10 NHL games played, you can tell how good he's going to be, how good he is now, and say it definitely without challenge. Is Vanek the best player in the NHL? Is Craig Anderson the best goalie in the league? History has proved that even a full NHL season may be too small a sample size to gauge how good a player is, let alone eight games.

I'm not pointing out flaws in his game because I don't care, I'm not crtiquing Brodin's game. I'm not saying "well he can't be this because of so and so and this is true because of this and that", I'm saying that the praise he is getting is far too much for how little he has played. You're acting like he's the Calder runaway, best defensive prospect in hockey and everyone should be marvelling that you have a top 10 NHL defensemen who's only played 8 games of NHL hockey. Too soon, too soon, too soon.

Instead of acting like I'm telling you he's a horrible player with no reason, how about you prove to me why 8 games in you can give an accurate assesment of his future. Luke Schenn got the same praise (Actually more because the Wild have one of if not the smallest fanbase on these boards) when he was 19. Myers was called the next great NHL defensemen. Steve Mason was seriously considered for the 2010 Olympics Starter job after his season. Brodin is playing great and I'm sure he's a great player but there is no precedent and no reason to justify that 8 games in you can tell that he will be the player, Wild fans say he will be.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:51 PM
  #129
Dampland
YEO must GO
 
Dampland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Job Search City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,309
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM View Post
The more I see him play the more I grow to love him. He just makes the right play and right decision every time and nothing seems to rattle him. In the last period against the Flames he was carrying his D partner Suter. A 19-year-old rookie defenseman carrying Ryan Suter. How absurd is this?
So smooth, so poised. He is a treat to watch.
Brodin has actually been carrying Suter ever since Brodin's 2nd professional game. It is absurd, that a rookie is outplaying a $98 million dollar FA, but its happening.


Overall, Minnesota fans are very very happy with Brodin's play,and hope he continues to progress/evolve over the next couple years.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:34 PM
  #130
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Say whatever you want but Brodin is what Erik Karlsson is with the Sens to me.
That's a little over the top.

Actually, a lot. Karlsson won the Norris. People in the media are actually calling him the best player in the league. Scale it down a bit.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:39 PM
  #131
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
That's a little over the top.

Actually, a lot. Karlsson won the Norris. People in the media are actually calling him the best player in the league. Scale it down a bit.
Actually, more of the fact that Karlsson is so important to the Senator's defense. Brodin is the same way. He is extremely important to the Wild defense. He may not ever win the Norris but his impact to the Wild defense can be measured like Karlsson.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:42 PM
  #132
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Actually, more of the fact that Karlsson is so important to the Senator's defense. Brodin is the same way. He is extremely important to the Wild defense. He may not ever win the Norris but his impact to the Wild defense can be measured like Karlsson.
How can the impact be the same when Karlsson is a much better player at this point in time? That's an odd statement.

That's like me saying Brunner is the Kovalchuk of Detroit. No, he's not nearly as good, but he... scores goals?

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:16 PM
  #133
TwInS1095
Registered User
 
TwInS1095's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 2,203
vCash: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
How can the impact be the same when Karlsson is a much better player at this point in time? That's an odd statement.

That's like me saying Brunner is the Kovalchuk of Detroit. No, he's not nearly as good, but he... scores goals?
Same reason people argue for Datsyuk over players with way higher point totals and flashier stats.

Fact of the matter is Brodin impacts the game in a huge way that doesn't show up in box scores.

Since he stepped into the NHL he has been head and shoulders better over any D on our team. Haters gonna hate.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:16 PM
  #134
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
That's a little over the top.

Actually, a lot. Karlsson won the Norris. People in the media are actually calling him the best player in the league. Scale it down a bit.
I didn't say he was exactly like him. He pretty much has the same role in the team.

BTW, how many games have you seen Brodin play? He's far from looking like a 19 year old at least.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:19 PM
  #135
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
Since he stepped into the NHL he has been head and shoulders better over any D on our team. Haters gonna hate.
I didn't say he wasn't good. I said he wasn't Karlsson.

Realists gonna... realize.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:21 PM
  #136
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
I didn't say he wasn't good. I said he wasn't Karlsson.

Realists gonna... realize.
No one's saying he's as good as Karlsson, we're just saying he's as important to us as Karlsson is to the Sens.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:21 PM
  #137
TwInS1095
Registered User
 
TwInS1095's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 2,203
vCash: 1760
Plus, you guys can have your Ryan Murphy's and Dougje Hamiltons and what not. I don't even care how good of players they are I'll take Brodin...


Why? Because Brodin is an amazing player.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:22 PM
  #138
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
No one's saying he's as good as Karlsson, we're just saying he's as important to us as Karlsson is to the Sens.
Right, but how could he be? Karlsson is their star player and the best guy on the team. Are you really saying Brodin is your Mr. Everything?

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:23 PM
  #139
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Right, but how could he be? Karlsson is their star player and the best guy on the team. Are you really saying Brodin is your Mr. Everything?
Well to be fair, Brodin has arguably been the best Wild player in the last couple games.

It didn't take him time to step up with the big team.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:25 PM
  #140
FVM
Screaming seagulls
 
FVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 754
vCash: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Are you really saying Brodin is your Mr. Everything?
I am saying that. He is our Mr. Everything.

FVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:25 PM
  #141
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Well to be fair, Brodin has arguably been the best Wild player in the last couple games.

It didn't take him time to step up in the big team.
Right, but that wasn't the claim. The claim was that Brodin is just as important as Karlsson, and I think there's no way that's true. Not yet.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:26 PM
  #142
TwInS1095
Registered User
 
TwInS1095's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 2,203
vCash: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Right, but how could he be? Karlsson is their star player and the best guy on the team. Are you really saying Brodin is your Mr. Everything?

In terms of how he stabilizes the defense, stabilizes Suter, allows Suter to be more offensive, and the fcr that he's the only defender on the team that can consistently get shots through to the net and find guys in stride consistently to break out through the neutral zone...Yes.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:28 PM
  #143
TwInS1095
Registered User
 
TwInS1095's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 2,203
vCash: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Right, but that wasn't the claim. The claim was that Brodin is just as important as Karlsson, and I think there's no way that's true. Not yet.
The claim was that he was as important to their respective teams...

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:30 PM
  #144
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,922
vCash: 16145
Brodin has been the best Wild defenseman since his first game. And it hasn't been close.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:44 PM
  #145
Eple
Registered User
 
Eple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Brodin has been the best Wild defenseman since his first game. And it hasn't been close.
Suter gives him competition, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. But I do agree he's played better than Suter and that's saying something from a 19 year old guy.

Just love watching him play, he does all the little things right.

Eple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:47 PM
  #146
TwInS1095
Registered User
 
TwInS1095's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 2,203
vCash: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eple View Post
Suter gives him competition, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. But I do agree he's played better than Suter and that's saying something from a 19 year old guy.

Just love watching him play, he does all the little things right.

No, it's really not close Suter has not played anywhere close to the level that he was earlier in his career...not defensively at least. He's not even anywhere close really either.

MAybe I'm overstating it a bit but...

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:10 AM
  #147
mkoivu9*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,425
vCash: 2710
Living up to his Lidstrom comparisons so far... Keep it up Jonas Bro.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:22 AM
  #148
Beegoalie
Registered User
 
Beegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pominville Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
Brodin has taken leaps and bounds of development and made a sometimes impossible transition for a teenage into the NHL as a defenseman and ran with it. He plays on the top pairing and in every situation. He has turned Ryan Suter and his 98 million dollar contract into a much better player.

Thats right a 19 year old is making a 98 million dollar perennial all star, olympian etc...a much better player instantly.

Oh yeah and he hasn't even played 10 games in the league.

Guy is a stud. His development curve has certainly hit the fast lane and hasn't took a step back one bit. He hit the NHL running and isn't looking back.

I'd take him right now over your Larsson, Reilly, Rienhart, Trouba, Gudbranson, Lindholm.

People that nag on the kid really just need to watch him play...for instance tonight I watched the game online with the Calgary station because I get annoyed of the homerism that the Wild announcers give and Im not a big fan of the new play by play guy.

They raved about Brodin throughout the game and went on and on about him. I can't wait to watch the game on TSN tomorrow and see what they have to say about him. The NBC guys were no different. Its not just Wild fans getting giddy about their new toy.

This kid is the real deal..if you haven't seen it yet well you will.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:53 AM
  #149
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,369
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Right, but that wasn't the claim. The claim was that Brodin is just as important as Karlsson, and I think there's no way that's true. Not yet.
Try reading again, nobody said Brodin is as important as Karlsson, they said Brodin is as important to the Wild as Karlsson is to the Senators.

Big difference.

Brodin is easily the MVP of the Wild roster in the short season thus far. Do we hope his level of play continues and keeps that title? Absolutely, and he's shown no signs for anyone to doubt that it will either.

Brodin is not at Karlsson's level, but considering the Wild's defense, he's becoming every bit the important player to the Wild that Karlsson is to the Senators.

Maybe it's as much of an indictment to the rest of the Wild's defensemen as it is praise on the 19 yr old kid.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:44 PM
  #150
Nsjohnson
Registered User
 
Nsjohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 500
.....Hey did you guys know we have this Brodin guy on our roster? He's really been a bust- no goals!






Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.