HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jonas Brodin

Old
02-11-2013, 08:58 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
ohhhh i didn't even click on the link before. I thought you started a new thread something like "Jonas Brodin = Karlsson"

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:58 PM
FVM
Screaming seagulls

vCash: 1301
The more I see him play the more I grow to love him. He just makes the right play and right decision every time and nothing seems to rattle him. In the last period against the Flames he was carrying his D partner Suter. A 19-year-old rookie defenseman carrying Ryan Suter. How absurd is this?

So smooth, so poised. He is a treat to watch.

FVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
That clearly was not the praise I was talking about. In fact, I actually said this word for word in the post you just quoted.

Not one word in there about the Hall of Fame or Norris Trophies.

And you have yet to provide an actual reason that he isn't a top pairing defenseman other than the fact that he's only played eight games, despite the fact that he's actually playing on the top pairing, and looking amazing doing so. You haven't pointed out any flaws in his game, you haven't posted any evidence proving otherwise. You've seen (I'm guessing) one of his NHL games (when the Wild played the Stars), and you claim to be an expert on the topic.
I'm talking about the fanbase in general, in other threads, discussions, whatever. And reread what I said. "People are all but saying he's hall of fame bound and a future perenial Norris winner". In other words, they've giving him so much praise it's as if they're saying that. I've seen Niklas Lidstrom comparisons, you brought up the one of people saying he's better than Suter.

I don't need to tell you why he's not as good as Wild fans say he is, because it should be obvious. You're telling me, that after less than 10 NHL games played, you can tell how good he's going to be, how good he is now, and say it definitely without challenge. Is Vanek the best player in the NHL? Is Craig Anderson the best goalie in the league? History has proved that even a full NHL season may be too small a sample size to gauge how good a player is, let alone eight games.

I'm not pointing out flaws in his game because I don't care, I'm not crtiquing Brodin's game. I'm not saying "well he can't be this because of so and so and this is true because of this and that", I'm saying that the praise he is getting is far too much for how little he has played. You're acting like he's the Calder runaway, best defensive prospect in hockey and everyone should be marvelling that you have a top 10 NHL defensemen who's only played 8 games of NHL hockey. Too soon, too soon, too soon.

Instead of acting like I'm telling you he's a horrible player with no reason, how about you prove to me why 8 games in you can give an accurate assesment of his future. Luke Schenn got the same praise (Actually more because the Wild have one of if not the smallest fanbase on these boards) when he was 19. Myers was called the next great NHL defensemen. Steve Mason was seriously considered for the 2010 Olympics Starter job after his season. Brodin is playing great and I'm sure he's a great player but there is no precedent and no reason to justify that 8 games in you can tell that he will be the player, Wild fans say he will be.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM View Post
The more I see him play the more I grow to love him. He just makes the right play and right decision every time and nothing seems to rattle him. In the last period against the Flames he was carrying his D partner Suter. A 19-year-old rookie defenseman carrying Ryan Suter. How absurd is this?
So smooth, so poised. He is a treat to watch.
Brodin has actually been carrying Suter ever since Brodin's 2nd professional game. It is absurd, that a rookie is outplaying a $98 million dollar FA, but its happening.

Overall, Minnesota fans are very very happy with Brodin's play,and hope he continues to progress/evolve over the next couple years.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Say whatever you want but Brodin is what Erik Karlsson is with the Sens to me.
That's a little over the top.

Actually, a lot. Karlsson won the Norris. People in the media are actually calling him the best player in the league. Scale it down a bit.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:39 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post

Actually, a lot. Karlsson won the Norris. People in the media are actually calling him the best player in the league. Scale it down a bit.
Actually, more of the fact that Karlsson is so important to the Senator's defense. Brodin is the same way. He is extremely important to the Wild defense. He may not ever win the Norris but his impact to the Wild defense can be measured like Karlsson.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Actually, more of the fact that Karlsson is so important to the Senator's defense. Brodin is the same way. He is extremely important to the Wild defense. He may not ever win the Norris but his impact to the Wild defense can be measured like Karlsson.
How can the impact be the same when Karlsson is a much better player at this point in time? That's an odd statement.

That's like me saying Brunner is the Kovalchuk of Detroit. No, he's not nearly as good, but he... scores goals?

Old
02-11-2013, 11:16 PM
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
Quote:
How can the impact be the same when Karlsson is a much better player at this point in time? That's an odd statement.

That's like me saying Brunner is the Kovalchuk of Detroit. No, he's not nearly as good, but he... scores goals?
Same reason people argue for Datsyuk over players with way higher point totals and flashier stats.

Fact of the matter is Brodin impacts the game in a huge way that doesn't show up in box scores.

Since he stepped into the NHL he has been head and shoulders better over any D on our team. Haters gonna hate.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:

I didn't say he was exactly like him. He pretty much has the same role in the team.

BTW, how many games have you seen Brodin play? He's far from looking like a 19 year old at least.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
Since he stepped into the NHL he has been head and shoulders better over any D on our team. Haters gonna hate.
I didn't say he wasn't good. I said he wasn't Karlsson.

Realists gonna... realize.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
I didn't say he wasn't good. I said he wasn't Karlsson.

Realists gonna... realize.
No one's saying he's as good as Karlsson, we're just saying he's as important to us as Karlsson is to the Sens.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:21 PM
TwInS1095

Plus, you guys can have your Ryan Murphy's and Dougje Hamiltons and what not. I don't even care how good of players they are I'll take Brodin...

Why? Because Brodin is an amazing player.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
No one's saying he's as good as Karlsson, we're just saying he's as important to us as Karlsson is to the Sens.
Right, but how could he be? Karlsson is their star player and the best guy on the team. Are you really saying Brodin is your Mr. Everything?

Old
02-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Right, but how could he be? Karlsson is their star player and the best guy on the team. Are you really saying Brodin is your Mr. Everything?
Well to be fair, Brodin has arguably been the best Wild player in the last couple games.

It didn't take him time to step up with the big team.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:25 PM
FVM
Screaming seagulls

vCash: 1301
Quote:
Are you really saying Brodin is your Mr. Everything?
I am saying that. He is our Mr. Everything.

FVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:25 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Well to be fair, Brodin has arguably been the best Wild player in the last couple games.

It didn't take him time to step up in the big team.
Right, but that wasn't the claim. The claim was that Brodin is just as important as Karlsson, and I think there's no way that's true. Not yet.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:26 PM
TwInS1095

Quote:

In terms of how he stabilizes the defense, stabilizes Suter, allows Suter to be more offensive, and the fcr that he's the only defender on the team that can consistently get shots through to the net and find guys in stride consistently to break out through the neutral zone...Yes.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:28 PM
TwInS1095

Quote:
Right, but that wasn't the claim. The claim was that Brodin is just as important as Karlsson, and I think there's no way that's true. Not yet.
The claim was that he was as important to their respective teams...

Old
02-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Brodin has been the best Wild defenseman since his first game. And it hasn't been close.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Eple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Brodin has been the best Wild defenseman since his first game. And it hasn't been close.
Suter gives him competition, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. But I do agree he's played better than Suter and that's saying something from a 19 year old guy.

Just love watching him play, he does all the little things right.

Eple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:47 PM
TwInS1095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eple View Post
Suter gives him competition, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. But I do agree he's played better than Suter and that's saying something from a 19 year old guy.

Just love watching him play, he does all the little things right.

No, it's really not close Suter has not played anywhere close to the level that he was earlier in his career...not defensively at least. He's not even anywhere close really either.

MAybe I'm overstating it a bit but...

Old
02-12-2013, 12:10 AM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Living up to his Lidstrom comparisons so far... Keep it up Jonas Bro.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:22 AM
Beegoalie

Brodin has taken leaps and bounds of development and made a sometimes impossible transition for a teenage into the NHL as a defenseman and ran with it. He plays on the top pairing and in every situation. He has turned Ryan Suter and his 98 million dollar contract into a much better player.

Thats right a 19 year old is making a 98 million dollar perennial all star, olympian etc...a much better player instantly.

Oh yeah and he hasn't even played 10 games in the league.

Guy is a stud. His development curve has certainly hit the fast lane and hasn't took a step back one bit. He hit the NHL running and isn't looking back.

I'd take him right now over your Larsson, Reilly, Rienhart, Trouba, Gudbranson, Lindholm.

People that nag on the kid really just need to watch him play...for instance tonight I watched the game online with the Calgary station because I get annoyed of the homerism that the Wild announcers give and Im not a big fan of the new play by play guy.

They raved about Brodin throughout the game and went on and on about him. I can't wait to watch the game on TSN tomorrow and see what they have to say about him. The NBC guys were no different. Its not just Wild fans getting giddy about their new toy.

This kid is the real deal..if you haven't seen it yet well you will.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:53 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Try reading again, nobody said Brodin is as important as Karlsson, they said Brodin is as important to the Wild as Karlsson is to the Senators.

Big difference.

Brodin is easily the MVP of the Wild roster in the short season thus far. Do we hope his level of play continues and keeps that title? Absolutely, and he's shown no signs for anyone to doubt that it will either.

Brodin is not at Karlsson's level, but considering the Wild's defense, he's becoming every bit the important player to the Wild that Karlsson is to the Senators.

Maybe it's as much of an indictment to the rest of the Wild's defensemen as it is praise on the 19 yr old kid.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Nsjohnson

.....Hey did you guys know we have this Brodin guy on our roster? He's really been a bust- no goals!

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote