HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So who else feels helpless as a fan right now?

Old
02-11-2013, 10:03 PM
bigbren92

vCash: 500
So who else feels helpless as a fan right now?

I am so sick of this culture of losing. I love this team but I feel like each and every one of us are like the abused girlfriend that keeps coming back thinking things will change. But the thing is, it never does.. We support this team through thick and thin, and they put up consistently bad performances. And the thing is, nobody except for us fans and a few of the players seem to care... We have an owner who is ready to sell the team, so why put any money into the team now? A waiver-junkie backup goalie as our GM... A clueless, passionless chump as our coach and an unmotivated captain who knows he wont be back next year. And the worst part about it is that we can't do anything about changing it. This **** needs to end, but I feel like we're nothing until Brooklyn. I feel awful for guys like Tavares who put the team on his back. But not even Tavares can carry the garbage that is the New York Islanders

bigbren92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Islander Prophet

hello

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Bert Marshall days

Never fear, BROOKLYN is near!

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:12 PM
lacunacoil777

Once they move to brooklyn, Dipietro will be more agile and will have a good save %, and players will love the traffic so much they will be willing to play for back loaded contracts rather then the front loaded contracts every other team pays. Go brooklyn go brooklyn!!

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:14 PM
RWWallpaper

...I have over 35 years invested in this team and I've never been more disgusted than I am right now. How much are we supposed to take before walking away? I'd never thought I'd even dream of saying that but there's only so much time, energy and money you can waste supporting a team that won't even support itself.

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Islanders1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
...I have over 35 years invested in this team and I've never been more disgusted than I am right now. How much are we supposed to take before walking away? I'd never thought I'd even dream of saying that but there's only so much time, energy and money you can waste supporting a team that won't even support itself.
I completely agree...I mean I'm as die hard as they come, but I'm just sick to my stomach night after night watching this. It hurts man. I don't know how much longer I can put myself through his.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:29 PM
IsleNmetFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
I completely agree...I mean I'm as die hard as they come, but I'm just sick to my stomach night after night watching this. It hurts man. I don't know how much longer I can put myself through his.

Can't say it any better. It's depressing.

IsleNmetFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:38 PM
leaponover

Yeah, it sucks but I didn't have high hopes for this season anyway. I still think there's a chance to pull this team up from the bottom of the swamp if Wang can turn a profit in Brooklyn...IF....but as it stands now he won't be putting a money into the team and I still blame him over anyone else. I don't have much blame to put on Snow his hands are tied and he has made some great finds thrift store shopping. I don't blame Streit. He's a one dimensional player who is still good for a point a game which is saying more for anybody past the first line on the Islanders. Sure his +/- sucks but he gets a lot of points on the PP and as long as he is paired with somebody who knows what he is doing he it not that bad of a liability. Tavares should take over the captaincy next season even if Streit does stay. Only thing is I don't know what the chemistry is in the lockerroom it's possible Tavares is a quiet guy. Maybe that's why we don't see him getting frustrated when it is obvious he should be. HE still continues to put his head down and fight for wins and shows no signs of disappointment. He's got a great demeanor no doubt.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

While everyone was hootin' and hollerin' the lockout was over, I slapped myself with a gigantic ****ing facepalm.

Do you know why? Because every season I get ****ing aggravated over something I can't control, and I can't rationalize why I allow myself to get so emotionally invested in watching overpaid athletes ATTEMPT to pass and shoot a piece of frozen rubber around. The predictability of the Islanders' abysmal annual on- and off-ice situations has taken the thrill, anticipation, and excitement out of this sport for me. I get pissed because there's nothing I or any other fan can do to fix what's wrong with this organization. Everything that is wrong with this organization begins and ends with Charles Wang. I know what I'm in for coming into every season with a patchwork lineup, and the predictability kills me and aggravates the living hell out of me. I just want to be surprised. It doesn't bother me that the Islanders suck and lose, it's that I KNOW they're gonna suck and lose BEFORE they suck and lose. It takes the fun out of being a fan. It's predictable, boring, and hopeless. I'm learning to deal with that. So for all you morons who started saying playoffs after game 7, slow clap for you guys - you got duped again. BRAVO!

Wish the lockout lasted the whole "season" so I could oogle at our prospects for a whole year and MAYBE get hopeful for 2013-14. However, I'll take the doubting Thomas approach.

EDIT: To not be a complete sourpuss, maybe I should start betting against the Islanders and at least get something out of it. Saw they were favored to win tonight LOL

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:14 PM
lacunacoil777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
While everyone was hootin' and hollerin' the lockout was over, I slapped myself with a gigantic ****ing facepalm.

Do you know why? Because every season I get ****ing aggravated over something I can't control, and I can't rationalize why I allow myself to get so emotionally invested in watching overpaid athletes ATTEMPT to pass and shoot a piece of frozen rubber around. The predictability of the Islanders' abysmal annual on- and off-ice situations has taken the thrill, anticipation, and excitement out of this sport for me. I get pissed because there's nothing I or any other fan can do to fix what's wrong with this organization. Everything that is wrong with this organization begins and ends with Charles Wang. I know what I'm in for coming into every season with a patchwork lineup, and the predictability kills me and aggravates the living hell out of me. I just want to be surprised. It doesn't bother me that the Islanders suck and lose, it's that I KNOW they're gonna suck and lose BEFORE they suck and lose. It takes the fun out of being a fan. It's predictable, boring, and hopeless. I'm learning to deal with that. So for all you morons who started saying playoffs after game 7, slow clap for you guys - you got duped again. BRAVO!

Wish the lockout lasted the whole "season" so I could oogle at our prospects for a whole year and MAYBE get hopeful for 2013-14. However, I'll take the doubting Thomas approach.

EDIT: To not be a complete sourpuss, maybe I should start betting against the Islanders and at least get something out of it. Saw they were favored to win tonight LOL
I hear you on the predictable part. I wish I was only 20 years old or something and didnt know how the season would play out before it started. But Ive seen thise movie before...A dipietro with a lousy save %, a soft team, a team that loses its own b level players just to save money when the players wanted to be Islanders (jason Blake, SUtton, PA, Roleson)... Only one or two teams in the NHL would of been good enough to make the playoffs with Dipietro as one of the two goalies...the truth is the only chance the Isles had to make the playoffs was a dipietro injury in training camp that would of lasted 2 months.

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Brooklyn is near and the same {MOD EDIT} that owns the team and his right hand b**** will be going along with em.

Problem starts at the top.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 02-11-2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Edit
Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacunacoil777 View Post
I hear you on the predictable part. I wish I was only 20 years old or something and didnt know how the season would play out before it started. But Ive seen thise movie before...A dipietro with a lousy save %, a soft team, a team that loses its own b level players just to save money when the players wanted to be Islanders (jason Blake, SUtton, PA, Roleson)... Only one or two teams in the NHL would of been good enough to make the playoffs with Dipietro as one of the two goalies...the truth is the only chance the Isles had to make the playoffs was a dipietro injury in training camp that would of lasted 2 months.
Ha! 20 was when I started becoming a jaded Isles fan. Came to fruition when they got bounced 6-0 by the Bruins on my 21st in front of a predominantly pro-Bruins crowd at NVMC. Ultimate paper bag moment. Just rockin Hartford Whalers and Team Canada gear for the rest of the season. Another early-season retirement for my JT jersey. And Okposo hasn't seen the light of day in awhile.

The rebirth will take place when Prokhorov/Ratner buy the team!

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Brooklyn is near and the same {MOD EDIT} that owns the team and his right hand b**** will be going along with em.

Don't worry we'll have a brand new shiny arena.. but still have an owner that will still embarrass us and make mind blowing moves!

Last edited by Homeland Security: 02-11-2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Edited QP
Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Look I am just upset but now it's close to midnight and I caught up on some TV shows and going to bed cause tomorrow I gotta work. In the end I will forget about this game and watch it crap again on Thursday.

We move on, we have our lives and in the end we cry over men playing a kids game getting paid millions and they can't even play it right. screw em! I only feel for the people who went to see the game and spent hard earned money.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post

That's why Marlo you gotta get Snoop and Chris to take Garth and Charles to the vacants and show them we mean business.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:06 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
When you've never seen a winning season like me you learn to just enjoy the game. Just enjoy the little things. Every season I buy Game Center for PS3 and just watch hockey. I usually root on my sister team Montreal. If you don't expect anything you won't get disappointed. I'm not saying I'm a Habs fan but I love the city and the history of the club, so I got a little soft spot for them.

Don't let Mr. Wang ruin the sport for you gentleman. Watch the game and enjoy this beautiful unique sport for what it is. I have to believe that the Isles at some point have to be competitive. Until that happens, enjoy the game and step back from the ledge.

Editors Note: I never listen to my own advice ;-)

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:12 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
When you've never seen a winning season like me you learn to just enjoy the game. Just enjoy the little things. Every season I buy Game Center for PS3 and just watch hockey. I usually root on my sister team Montreal. If you don't expect anything you won't get disappointed. I'm not saying I'm a Habs fan but I love the city and the history of the club, so I got a little soft spot for them.

Don't let Mr. Wang ruin the sport for you gentleman. Watch the game and enjoy this beautiful unique sport for what it is. I have to believe that the Isles at some point have to be competitive. Until that happens, enjoy the game and step back from the ledge.

Editors Note: I never listen to my own advice ;-)
You just called all of us Toronto Leaf fans.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:33 AM
StrongIslanders90

Seeing Tavares like that on the bench after the game was hard too watch....That does not sit well with me....

Instead of making trades to improve our team we make trades for ghosts....

Our High picks are still young and have not been ready to help out....If this team was playing like this with a 26 year old Tavares,24 yr old Nino, 24 yr old Nelson,23 yr old Strome, and a 22 yr old Reinhart; then I would feel like there is no hope....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:45 AM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
That's why Marlo you gotta get Snoop and Chris to take Garth and Charles to the vacants and show them we mean business.
I promise if he does that me an mcnulty will make sure he walks free!

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:57 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Seeing Johnny like that, really hurt. It really did. I like to watch this video after losses like this. Listen to the words of the song...

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Islander Prophet

It's ok, whenever we finally win a cup, when that moment finally comes (maybe in like 30 years the way it's looking right now) we will all be able to say that we've waited all our lives for this...literally

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:37 AM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

It was painful to see that shot of Tavares at the end of the game. He feels exactly what we're feeling times ten and then some even worse than that because you know he (undeservedly) feels partly responsible for this as a leader of the team.

To know that such a phenomenal young talent is having years of his career wasted by an owner who downright doesn't care is sickening. Absolutely sickening. His expression at the end of tonight's game was the embodiment of that.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:48 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I promise if he does that me an mcnulty will make sure he walks free!

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:49 AM
Drivefor5

Honestly, as terrible as I feel about our performance and situation and as much as I can sympathize with my fellow fans, I look at the glass half full. I guess it depends on the fan and how much time you have invested in the team as well as how you have processed the teams highs and lows over your Fan expereince through the years. I go back to 78 and while I was young, I never really appreciated what was going on through the cup years. Like so many of us I felt they would always be good.

Does Wang stink as an owner? Yeah, we could have better but honestly without him it is quite possible the team is gone like 13 years ago. For all his faults he has looked to keep the team right here in NY and has accomplished that goal for the next 25+ years.

We have come a long way from the days of dumping the Pallfy's and Chara's and Luongo's. We are finally doing it right. For all the warts that Snow has, he is a far cry from Mad Mike Milbury.

We have a Player in Tavares that is 22 years old!! We finally after decades have a new arena and it is still in NY!!!

Imagine being the people in Winipeg or Quebec or the 2 fans in Atlanta that had or have no team.

Enjoy each goal, save, check, and each win and know that one day when Tavares raises the cup over his head while wearing an Islanders jersey that it will all have been worth it.

I have had realatives and friends that were/are Ranger Fans and for all the Fun I had teasing them with chants of 1940, some of them did not live long enough to see 1994. While others would tell me "I could die just seeing the Rangers win the cup once more." I guess in our short history we have been spoiled and are now being galvanized by the Hockey Gods for our past success.

Any way hockey is back, enjoy it and keep hope alive as we stay the course on our eternal.... Drive for 5!!!!!

Last edited by Drivefor5: 02-12-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Drivefor5 is offline   Reply With Quote