HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Time to make Moves?? (Post trade proposals & rumors here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 12:55 PM
doublechili

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
This may actually be a positive with the cap going down next year. A good team can grab one of these guys for the playoff and not worry about their salaries next season.

If I were Snow, I'd move anything not nailed down. Streit, Nabokov and Vis could fetch good returns. I'd also try to move Nielsen and see if you could get something decent in return.
I'd think you could get a decent return on Nielsen, assuming there is a contending team for whom he'd be a fit (quality playmaking 3rd line C who's good defensively and can contribute on the PK and as PP pointman in a pinch, with a reasonable salary to boot). And if your 2nd line C gets hurt, he could step up and not embarass himself.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:58 PM
original islander

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Completely agree. There will come a time where Moulson will hold back the team, but it's not now. I think Strome is eventually the best fit to play with JT, but you can't do that with Moulson on the same line as they'd get pushed around.

Cheers,

Dan-o
I would've loved to have seen these lines last year

Martin- JT- PA
Moulson-Bailey-KO

Could work also with Strome replacing PA. Detroit years ago used the same approach when Bob Probert skated with Yzerman. Martin causes a lot of giveaways by the opponents and would be the digger with Strome and JT providing the goal scoring and playmaking.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:25 PM
chris3488

Who else thinks this team lacks SIZE!!! & BALLS?

Old
02-11-2013, 01:29 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3488 View Post
Would you rather have 6 Carkners and Finleys on defense?

Old
02-11-2013, 01:34 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Thats why its imperative this team signs Anders Lee the second Notre Dame's season ends.... Plus we have Nino and Brock Nelson just about ready to step into roles on the top 2 lines..

Defense, we have to be a bit more patient.. We have Reinhart, Mayfield and Pedan all above 6'3... Pelech is another good D prospect but a tad shorter at 6'2.... But along with Pedan and Mayfield, is mean and plays physical...

Help is on the way.... The forwards will be here sooner and the defensemen later..

Old
02-11-2013, 01:38 PM
chris3488

The Islanders of the championship years, had players with toughness throughout there lines as well as talent. I also think we need a coach with more balls?

Old
02-11-2013, 01:52 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
At this juncture, and in light of not only all the Dmen in the club, but also the way Hickey and Strait have played, I'd have absolutely no problem with a move like Okposo and de Haan to Chicago for Hjalmarsson and Shaw.

In the short run, it makes us better now while still holding potential for the future. Should de Haan overcome injuries and Okposo finally wakes up, it could end up being a great move for Chicago in the long run. Chicago would be saving roughly a million on the deal. Hjalmarsson has two years left on his.

This move would then open the door to perhaps a bigger deal involving Streit, who I'm somehow not viewing as a career Islander.
That is a solid deal for both teams — assuming it is something a very good Hawks team would want to do. Do they want to move Hjalmarsson? shaw has some promise as well. Both teams could benefit — and I think that is what you would want from a deal.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
I would've loved to have seen these lines last year

Martin- JT- PA
Moulson-Bailey-KO

Could work also with Strome replacing PA. Detroit years ago used the same approach when Bob Probert skated with Yzerman. Martin causes a lot of giveaways by the opponents and would be the digger with Strome and JT providing the goal scoring and playmaking.
I think that strategy worked a lot better when only maybe half the players in the league were good skaters. Now, 85% of the league are good skaters.

Remember watching LaFontaine, Yzerman back during that time? They outskated the league. Crosby is every bit the skater those guys were, and he's barely a tick ahead. It's a different world. You need a faster or headier player than Martin playing on the top line or there are going to be a lot of odd-man rushes going the other way.

We need a Chris Kunitz type. That's the kind of guy we're looking for.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
02-11-2013, 02:02 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Quote:
Size WITH skill is coming although it is still a bit away. Mayfield, Reinhardt are 2 seasons at best, Nelson and Nino probably next season. All 4 of those players have snarl with the skill —*so just snarl is not enough. Those 4 project nicely for the Isles.

I think — as previously mentioned — a new coach would be a plus. Cappy seems like a nice guy, but even Doug Weight shows more fire. A proven bench boss would be nice.

What I don't like is that there are too many floaters. Okposo is floating. Bailey has been a floater though Id be willing to see how he fits in this season. Grabner is a floater. Neilsen is a floater. I would not call any of those 4 tough as nails guys willing to go to the hard areas.

But I think where Grabner and Neilsen have a clear roll and Id be less inclined to move them — I feel like Bailey's and Okposo's have never really been defined. What pisses me off on Okposo is his wild inconsistency, and lack of grit on a regular basis. He gets knocked off the puck with ease or so it seems. Bailey has shown some flashes, but is not much of a finisher. I am not sure where he will land, and this being a contract year, it would not surprise me to see either or both on the move.

A lot of people are talking about dealing Streit and/or Visnovsky. We saw how Viz can bring pop on the offensive side of the blueline, but can also be a defensive liability. Streit should be retained for at least 2 more seasons otherwise, we best be getting some kind of vet back for him. Fielding a blueline of Hamonic, A-Mac, Carkner, Strait, Hickey, Donovan and de Haan won't cut it next year.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:19 PM
chris3488

I agree, good words!!!!! HyeDray!!!

Old
02-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Sneekypete

Trade a 3rd, and Reasoner for Gerbe and play him with Aucoin both flanking Ullstrom....
In all seriousness I would not mind seeing a Line of Nielsen, Martin and Gerbe

Old
02-11-2013, 04:52 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
What pisses me off on Okposo is his wild inconsistency, and lack of grit on a regular basis. He gets knocked off the puck with ease or so it seems.
Okposo is just atrocious and has been overhyped. He's been trying the same moves since he came to the NHL and has been shut down for how long now? He doesn't bring anything to the table that I find particularly useful offensively and I find him to be a huge liability on the defensive end with the way he turns the puck over.

I'd like him to be moved for just about anyone or anything, I'm tired of seeing him in an Isles uniform and unless he really starts learning how to play at the NHL level he won't be successful (at least as a top 6 player).

I agree with you that he needs to get in those dirty areas and grind it out, but he seems to want to try finesse moves virtually every time he touches the puck instead.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
That is a solid deal for both teams — assuming it is something a very good Hawks team would want to do. Do they want to move Hjalmarsson? shaw has some promise as well. Both teams could benefit — and I think that is what you would want from a deal.
Well, they do have a lot of Dmen who are NHLers right now and Olsen is said to be ready, albeit he's truly a defense first guy (think Strait).

Also, Hjalmarsson costs 3.5 million per and the team was (reportedly) really iffy about retaining him at that cost. Moving on into the future, Chitown is going to have some financial concerns to take care of. You can imagine what they have invested alone in Hossa, Sharp, Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook.

Again, if Okposo becomes a steady 25-30-55 guy for them with all their star power and de Haan actually overcomes the shoulder problems to develop into at least another Nick Leddy type, then it could be a huge deal for them moving forward.

Hjalmarsson would be kind of like adding another MacDonald to our group (maybe not the same quality puckmover, but more physical) and Shaw has been solid in his short time in the NHL. He's naturally still very young, but Chicago truly has a good group of up-n-coming forwards anyways. Look no further than guys like Saad, Teruvainen, Danault, McNeil, Morin, Smith and even Pirri.

I'd think a deal like this can help both teams now (moreso the Isles) and in the future (likely moreso Chicago).

And as stated, while shoring up the blueline, it would free up the option of moving primarily Streit.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:48 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:
Size WITH skill is coming although it is still a bit away. Mayfield, Reinhardt are 2 seasons at best, Nelson and Nino probably next season. All 4 of those players have snarl with the skill —*so just snarl is not enough. Those 4 project nicely for the Isles.
It is refreshing to see someone else talk actual numbers for once instead of "They are on the way!!1!" You mention the time, then there is the growing into their roles time on the NHL club. If anyone of them are superman ok, add one more year. Probably none of them are not, so take those years and add 2+.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:17 PM
BEB595

Promote Nino, demote Okposo

Bailey Tavares Moulson
Grabner Nielson Neidereitter
Boyes Cizikas Ullstrom
Martin Aucoin Okposo

I say trade Okposo before he completely loses whatever value he still has

Old
02-11-2013, 09:33 PM
bluechipbonzo

Ullstrom on his way down for Nino soon.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:49 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Do you think we make a good trading pair with the Blues?

I see the Blues are hurting on D and G and since Streit/Vis and Nabokov can be had what kind of deal do you think we can get?

Berglund/Stewart/Elliott for Streit/Nabs/Okposo?

Thoughts and maybe better options or do you not think we would be a good trading partner?

02-11-2013, 10:00 PM
ekill08x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
I see the Blues are hurting on D and G and since Streit/Vis and Nabokov can be had what kind of deal do you think we can get?

Berglund/Stewart/Elliott for Streit/Nabs/Okposo?

Thoughts and maybe better options or do you not think we would be a good trading partner?
Um id do that trade in a heartbeat. Too bad they wouldn't lol. Okposo and Streit both suck.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:02 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
This may actually be a positive with the cap going down next year. A good team can grab one of these guys for the playoff and not worry about their salaries next season.

If I were Snow, I'd move anything not nailed down. Streit, Nabokov and Vis could fetch good returns. I'd also try to move Nielsen and see if you could get something decent in return.
Why move Nielsen? He can actually be a help going forward. I don't want to start from scratch again next year and center is already our thinnest position. Hopefully Strome takes the 2nd line center spot next year (although I would like to see them bring in a top-6 forward who can play center/wing but we all know the odds are against that), but who do we have that would be better than Nielsen on the third line?

Going into next season counting on JT-Strome-Nelson-Cizikas as your center depth is a one-way ticket back to the lottery. Again.

IF Strome and Nelson both prove ready next season, and the Isles have enough high level wingers, then you move Nielsen. But not before you know that you have something better for next year.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:03 PM
bigd

Mark Streit for anything we can get.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Time to move Okposo and Streit. Mark has lost a step and K.O just can't seem to take his game to the next level. Maybe Kyle works out and flourishes as a 2nd/3rd line winger on a different team with more talent where he's not relied on to be a key player (rather a complimentary piece) but his time is up here in my book.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:56 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Ullstrom on his way down for Nino soon.
No chance Ullstrom goes back to BP

Old
02-12-2013, 12:36 AM
LotteryForLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Yandle? No thanks we already have a defenceman that thinks he's a forward.
lol

Old
02-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Why move Nielsen? He can actually be a help going forward.<snip> but who do we have that would be better than Nielsen on the third line?
I like Nielsen, but he's doesn't have enough offense for 2nd line duty and he's too small and soft for 3rd line duty. Plus, he can't win a faceoff. He's just one of those guys that can't comfortably fit a role on a thin team. But, I think he could be an asset to a team that's got enough talent to mask his inadequacies.

Right now Aucion is doing fine on the 3rd. I don't think it would be too difficult to find something comparable or better going forward for the 3rd line.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:41 AM
LotteryForLife

I would put these guys on the block and see what we can get:

Streit
Nielsen
MacDonald
Okposo
Nabokov

Closed Thread