HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

So who else feels helpless as a fan right now?

Old
02-12-2013, 12:57 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheyHockey View Post
It was painful to see that shot of Tavares at the end of the game. He feels exactly what we're feeling times ten and then some even worse than that because you know he (undeservedly) feels partly responsible for this as a leader of the team.

To know that such a phenomenal young talent is having years of his career wasted by an owner who downright doesn't care is sickening. Absolutely sickening. His expression at the end of tonight's game was the embodiment of that.
Agreed, it did hurt to see that. He's going to be a better player for it. The kid is a fighter and he'll remember these days. He's special and I believe in my heart that he'll be the one to bring this team back.

Call me naive, but I see this team as another Quebec Nordiques. Fitting considering all the relocation talk, but moving to Brooklyn is a seismic shift in this team and essentially gives them a fresh start. Tavares is the franchise just like Sakic was back then. The Isles have a buttload of promising prospects and they are nearing NHL readiness. Nino, Strome and Reinhart are expected to be big contributors and so far, things are looking good in their development. Hamonic will be a stud on the blue line. I suspect we will be one of the youngest teams in the league in 2 years, but filled with talent.

It's put up or shut up time for Wang and Snow then. Wang's a business man and with the expected extra revenue available at the BC, he'll spend to improve the team to generate buzz. Bottom line, the ROI is obviously much higher in Brooklyn. Make decisions and make some trades to improve the roster. Sign some 2nd tier FA's that are still in their prime. If they can land a big fish, that would be even better. The massive amount of cap space and roster flexibility are weapons. There are no awful contracts - other than DP. He really should be amnestied, it's not funny anymore.

Get that coach and suddenly, this team could legitimately pull a St. Louis type jump. I see the light. It's faint, but it's there.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:59 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivefor5 View Post
Honestly, as terrible as I feel about our performance and situation and as much as I can sympathize with my fellow fans, I look at the glass half full. I guess it depends on the fan and how much time you have invested in the team as well as how you have processed the teams highs and lows over your Fan expereince through the years. I go back to 78 and while I was young, I never really appreciated what was going on through the cup years. Like so many of us I felt they would always be good.

Does Wang stink as an owner? Yeah, we could have better but honestly without him it is quite possible the team is gone like 13 years ago. For all his faults he has looked to keep the team right here in NY and has accomplished that goal for the next 25+ years.

We have come a long way from the days of dumping the Pallfy's and Chara's and Luongo's. We are finally doing it right. For all the warts that Snow has, he is a far cry from Mad Mike Milbury.

We have a Player in Tavares that is 22 years old!! We finally after decades have a new arena and it is still in NY!!!

Imagine being the people in Winipeg or Quebec or the 2 fans in Atlanta that had or have no team.

Enjoy each goal, save, check, and each win and know that one day when Tavares raises the cup over his head while wearing an Islanders jersey that it will all have been worth it.

I have had realatives and friends that were/are Ranger Fans and for all the Fun I had teasing them with chants of 1940, some of them did not live long enough to see 1994. While others would tell me "I could die just seeing the Rangers win the cup once more." I guess in our short history we have been spoiled and are now being galvanized by the Hockey Gods for our past success.

Any way hockey is back, enjoy it and keep hope alive as we stay the course on our eternal.... Drive for 5!!!!!
Love your optimism. It's much needed right now.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:09 AM
original islander

I've been an Islander fan since the very first draft. I listened to the very first game on radio and I watched or listened to every single game in the 72-73 season and probably 95% of the games since. I will always be an Islander fan, but after tonight I will never watch another game DP starts unless it's a playoff game.

I have nothing against DP and I think that he's a good guy but his reflexes are gone. I don't care if they keep him on the roster and pay him for the remainder of his career but he should never start another game. It's disrespectful to the fans, but even more disrespectful to his teammates like JT, Travis and Martin who are trying to win. Again I have nothing against him but I'm an old man with high blood pressure and I can't risk my health watching him.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:11 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
I think it's about time I actually feel bad for you guys. The Islanders' management is a complete joke and a disgrace to all the fans who were strong enough to stick around.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:15 AM
Drivefor5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Love your optimism. It's much needed right now.
Thanks, but your "Shake it Out" clip inspired my thoughts, so you get the credit for optimism.

Drivefor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:16 AM
Hyphistos

Yeah, helpless is the right word. Especially as some already mentioned if you see JT and you, even as an Islanders fan, think: Oh boy, what have you done to yourself to sign that contract.

Regarding myself, I regularly stay up until 4am to see those games. This will stop for now until they can string two wins together (yeah I know, I will not be able to actually do that). This season is basically done, we would need a lot of hot streaks from different players to compensate the basic lack of skill.

My last and only hope is, that with Brooklyn something changes. Be it Wang spending money again, someone else buying the team or whatever. I know it's blind hope, but this is the only time where there are circumstances that justify a change. If nothing changes with Brooklyn, I don't see when it ever will.

Hyphistos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:19 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

One day the Oilers and Islanders will play in the SCF again.

And both fanbases deserve it after the last few years.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:58 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
I've been an Islander fan since the very first draft. I listened to the very first game on radio and I watched or listened to every single game in the 72-73 season and probably 95% of the games since. I will always be an Islander fan, but after tonight I will never watch another game DP starts unless it's a playoff game.

I have nothing against DP and I think that he's a good guy but his reflexes are gone. I don't care if they keep him on the roster and pay him for the remainder of his career but he should never start another game. It's disrespectful to the fans, but even more disrespectful to his teammates like JT, Travis and Martin who are trying to win. Again I have nothing against him but I'm an old man with high blood pressure and I can't risk my health watching him.
I think I've had enough personally, I usually go to 20 games a year. I only have tickets to 2 more this year locked in. Things like the Cap circumvention and DPs continued presence I find insulting. If they think they can tank the remaining Nassau years and I'll blindly follow to Brooklyn they are mistaken

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:02 AM
Tavaresfan91

Only 3 point out of 8th ..... No seriously this teams garbage and we don't deserve this as fans.

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:12 AM
Smith31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
Only 3 point out of 8th ..... No seriously this teams garbage and we don't deserve this as fans.
Agreed. I have generally been sympathetic to Snow/Wang but watching DP flail around in the net (he could have given up 10) just reminded me what some of you have been saying for years now. It starts at the top. We need Ratner/Prok to buy this team and get it to Brooklyn ASAP.

That being said, we are close to being a good team. Organization is oozing talent...adding a top 5 pick this year will only help. I guess I have been waiting for 30 years to watch a powerhouse team...what's another year?

Smith31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:55 AM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
Ha! 20 was when I started becoming a jaded Isles fan. Came to fruition when they got bounced 6-0 by the Bruins on my 21st in front of a predominantly pro-Bruins crowd at NVMC. Ultimate paper bag moment. Just rockin Hartford Whalers and Team Canada gear for the rest of the season. Another early-season retirement for my JT jersey. And Okposo hasn't seen the light of day in awhile.

The rebirth will take place when Prokhorov/Ratner buy the team!
You think those corrupt and unethical guys will turn the fortunes around for the Islanders? They might make money but as for the team winning? Ha, good luck!

Islanders fans don't know what they're wishing for.

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Never fear, BROOKLYN is near!
Ya, because that is going to make everything better.

Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Riddick

my issue with the 'Wait until Brooklyn' people is that there was, what 9k people there last night? And these were the last of the diehards. who is going to make up the disparity in Brooklyn?

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
When you've never seen a winning season like me you learn to just enjoy the game. Just enjoy the little things. Every season I buy Game Center for PS3 and just watch hockey. I usually root on my sister team Montreal. If you don't expect anything you won't get disappointed. I'm not saying I'm a Habs fan but I love the city and the history of the club, so I got a little soft spot for them.

Don't let Mr. Wang ruin the sport for you gentleman. Watch the game and enjoy this beautiful unique sport for what it is. I have to believe that the Isles at some point have to be competitive. Until that happens, enjoy the game and step back from the ledge.

Editors Note: I never listen to my own advice ;-)
This. So much this.

I am the same way. Gamecenter really is amazing. I LOVE the sport of hockey. Can't get enough. I don't let the Islanders ruin that for me. I get a lot more joy out of watching games around the league than I do the Islanders. Why? Because I can't get annoyed watching other teams. I can just enjoy the game for what it is.

Unfortunately, what seems like most on this board don't agree with me. I see a ton of people here saying Islanders or bust or before Brooklyn if the team would have moved they would never watch hockey again. Sadly, it seems there are more "Islander fans" than "hockey fans" if that makes any sense at all. I'm a hockey fan first. Always have been.

There was a time where I used to let every loss get to me but then I got smart. I find it hard to invest the type of emotion I used to invest when the organization CLEARLY has no intention of icing a winning team... Just the cheapest team. Until that ends, I can't see myself being the die-hard I used to be.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith31 View Post
Agreed. I have generally been sympathetic to Snow/Wang but watching DP flail around in the net (he could have given up 10) just reminded me what some of you have been saying for years now. It starts at the top. We need Ratner/Prok to buy this team and get it to Brooklyn ASAP.

That being said, we are close to being a good team. Organization is oozing talent...adding a top 5 pick this year will only help. I guess I have been waiting for 30 years to watch a powerhouse team...what's another year?
That's the thing. We aren't oozing with talent. People overrate our talent big time. By now, Bailey and Okposo SHOULD have been impact players. They aren't. And that's just one example. Yea I know Bailey was mismanaged but it is what it is. Our young guys COULD pan out but it is by NO means a certainty. The Edmonton Oilers on the other hand... THEY are oozing with talent.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Islanderfan17

At this point I'm just looking forward to Brooklyn. Will Brooklyn magically change everything? Not at all, but you KNOW that things will HAVE to get somewhat better once we move to our new home. When we get to Brooklyn there will be absolutely no more excuses for not spending money and not trying to put a winning product on the ice.

I really, really just hope Wang sells the team either before the move or right after it. I'm grateful for the guy keeping my team in NY but he also needs to cut his losses and realize how much he is draining the life out of this franchise. Sell to a new owner and let the Islanders have a true fresh start in their new home, please.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:49 AM
VAIsles
Mickey Mouse FO Yay!

its about that time to adopt a fallback team to get me through this 2013 season as the isles are about to be eliminated again and be lottery bound. May get killed for this but I annually adopt the Flyers as my fallback team when the annual Isles fail happens... Always have enjoyed the Flyers plus I am a Sixers fan (Julius Erving Net days) for the NBA so its a smooth transition for a fallback team. I should adopt the Caps being down here in the DMV but I HATE THEM!

VAIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:57 AM
2LeftSkates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
When we get to Brooklyn there will be new excuses for not spending money and not trying to put a winning product on the ice.
Islanderfan17-
I altered your post to make a point. Hope you are cool with it.
That is what the "braintrust" is working on right now. Free Agents will not come because of the traffic? Or, maybe they are upset because the new arena has some obstructed view seats?

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith31 View Post
That being said, we are close to being a good team. Organization is oozing talent..
Too bad the team is seemingly doing its best to destroy whatever young talent they have. Imagine if the Isles had a good, top 6 veteran forward? Maybe Okposo wouldn't be floundering aimlessly if he had someone to take him under his wing. Maybe Bailey would have someone to help him with his inconsistency. We'll never know because the forward veterans on this team are Aucoins and Reasoners, not Doans, Morrows or Sharps.

The talent that's oozing in this organization will die on the vine unless it's nourished.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbren92 View Post
I am so sick of this culture of losing. I love this team but I feel like each and every one of us are like the abused girlfriend that keeps coming back thinking things will change. But the thing is, it never does.. We support this team through thick and thin, and they put up consistently bad performances. And the thing is, nobody except for us fans and a few of the players seem to care... We have an owner who is ready to sell the team, so why put any money into the team now? A waiver-junkie backup goalie as our GM... A clueless, passionless chump as our coach and an unmotivated captain who knows he wont be back next year. And the worst part about it is that we can't do anything about changing it. This **** needs to end, but I feel like we're nothing until Brooklyn. I feel awful for guys like Tavares who put the team on his back. But not even Tavares can carry the garbage that is the New York Islanders
We have been helpless for years. Just as the leafs fans.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:21 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
At this point I'm just looking forward to Brooklyn. Will Brooklyn magically change everything? Not at all, but you KNOW that things will HAVE to get somewhat better once we move to our new home. When we get to Brooklyn there will be absolutely no more excuses for not spending money and not trying to put a winning product on the ice.

I really, really just hope Wang sells the team either before the move or right after it. I'm grateful for the guy keeping my team in NY but he also needs to cut his losses and realize how much he is draining the life out of this franchise. Sell to a new owner and let the Islanders have a true fresh start in their new home, please.
There's no excuse for not spending money now to get this team some hype for the move. The best way to get the Nassau fans to come to Brooklyn is to have them invested in the team. Right now they are spitting in our faces. If I were the players things like the Thomas trade and DiPietro's continued role I'd feel a lot like Sisyphus.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Darth Bangkok

I've been numb for years now when it comes to this team. Nothing has changed and there is no hope on the horizon. The only thing to wish for is an opportunity for wang-hole to make money in a way that forces him to sell. Until then, we are hopeless because he owns the team to make money from revenue streams, not to make money from having a good hockey team. Once he sells, we have to pray the new owner is not a hole too. Well, he or she will be, but we have to hope they will be less of one.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Degeneration Rex

As many of you know I'm a fairly new poster here and do not know me that well. I'm likely one if not the oldest poster here. I have seen everything in Islanders history from day one, I attended the first home game ever at the Coliseum. So many of you were not around for the early years. The Islanders had a record of 12-60-6 in their first season, good for all of 30 points.The word hapless was used all the time but not hopeless. Even in that first season Bill Torrey made some smart clever minor moves which proved important later on. We knew Denis Potvin would be coming the next year.

Year two-In comes Al Arbour Young players like Bob Nystrom and others improved, Potvin lived up to the hype winning the Calder. Though the record was still pretty bad, the Islanders cut 100 off their goals against. That team could not score but was competitive and not often blown out like they were in year one. After two seasons in the NHL, I had the feeling something good was going to happen here. Not four consecutive cups worth but something good. Then came 1974-75 still my favorite Islander team.

The point is back in the 1970's every day, ever game was exciting, as time went on, you could feel this thing building and building. With the current state of everything from the owner on down I just don't sense something is going to happen good like it did back then.

Despite all that has happened the last 20 years, nothing can wipe the taste away of those early years even before the 4 cups. You had to be there to understand what went on.

I could write a book on Islander history, I have seen everything. It was a pleasure to be in on the ground floor as a fan.

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:38 AM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
As many of you know I'm a fairly new poster here and do not know me that well. I'm likely one if not the oldest poster here. I have seen everything in Islanders history from day one, I attended the first home game ever at the Coliseum. So many of you were not around for the early years. The Islanders had a record of 12-60-6 in their first season, good for all of 30 points.The word hapless was used all the time but not hopeless. Even in that first season Bill Torrey made some smart clever minor moves which proved important later on. We knew Denis Potvin would be coming the next year.

Year two-In comes Al Arbour Young players like Bob Nystrom and others improved, Potvin lived up to the hype winning the Calder. Though the record was still pretty bad, the Islanders cut 100 off their goals against. That team could not score but was competitive and not often blown out like they were in year one. After two seasons in the NHL, I had the feeling something good was going to happen here. Not four consecutive cups worth but something good. Then came 1974-75 still my favorite Islander team.

The point is back in the 1970's every day, ever game was exciting, as time went on, you could feel this thing building and building. With the current state of everything from the owner on down I just don't sense something is going to happen good like it did back then.

Despite all that has happened the last 20 years, nothing can wipe the taste away of those early years even before the 4 cups. You had to be there to understand what went on.

I could write a book on Islander history, I have seen everything. It was a pleasure to be in on the ground floor as a fan.
I understand I was there.

You are correct the thirst to win and "grow up fast" was tangible in those early years.

And you never heard terms like "We have to get our confidence back" or "we were soft tonight" yuck!

What you did hear, especially after Potvin came up was

Try to push around and we will smack you in the teeth (literally and otherwise) and fight back they did.

This may be hard to believe but there was a time when the entire hockey world, including the Soviet teams, looked up to the NY Islanders. Not just because they won but because of how they wore the jersey.

I don't know what is going to happen going forward, Sports are much different today and you really need money to succeed. In my mind, unless he sells, its really on Wang now that the arena situation is settled. So I will wait for Brooklyn but if come 2016 or sooner this team is still floundering at the cap floor I will stop to care.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:27 PM
scott99

I've made a conscience decision that I will only buy 1 ticket for a game per season, I also get a ticket to a game for Christmas (it was delayed this season), and I take my nephew every year. The decision is, I will do my damnest to NOT support a Wang owned team financially. That is, until he is willing to put the money he is making on the team (don't believe his hype, he IS making money), back into the product. If he does that, then I will go to more games per season and buy more tickets.

That being said, I have been a fan since 1975, and a true fanatic since 1977. The Islanders are my team, and I will root for them until I die, I will support the players, but not the owner. I still find some enjoyment watching them on TV, win or loss, I feel honored to watch Tavares every game, that's how highly I feel about him and his talent, I feel we are watching the beginning of greatness every time he steps on the ice. And I respect the way he plays the game, the way he gives his heart and soul. Plus the incredible talent he has is there for everyone to see.

I am an optimist, I feel the Islanders have built up the prospect pool to a very exciting level. Not only am I a hockey fan, I am an NHL Draft and prospects fan (reason why I found this sight), and I can't ever remember the Isles having this many exciting prospects that I feel will help this team turn it around. That being said, Wang/Snow have to prove to us Islander's fans that they are willing to spend, and add quality Free Agents to the prospect pool. Until they do that, my optimism will stay at an even keel, or even below that. They can only prove this by going past the cap floor the next few season, not stay on the floor. Time will tell.

I'm a Patriot's fan when it comes to football, been a Patriot's fan since 1975, and have seen abysmal ownership and coaching for many years, went through at least two 1-15 season, yet my zeal as a fan never wavered. Once the Pats found themselves a great owner in 1994 (Bob Kraft), the atmosphere surrounding the team changed big time. He cared about the team, and wanted to win. Under his leadership, The Pats have won 3 Super Bowls, been to 6 Super Bowls since 1994, 8 AFC Championship Games, and have won the AFC East Champs 14 times.

The key words I highlighted in red and bolded. The Islanders need an owner that cares about the team and wants to win. Once you have that, things change big time. Look around, the Colorad Rockies/NJ Devils were doormats until they wound up with a great owner, who in turn hired the right GM, everything turned around, you might even equate the Devils with the Patriots success wise (I think the Devils only missed the playoffs once since 1993). Look at the Detroit Red Wings, same thing, they were terrible doormats in the late 70's early 80's UNTIL, they got a great owner (Illitch) and a great GM, now, pretty much perennial powerhouses, and 4 Stanley Cups since 1996. It all starts with the owner, unfortunately, I don't think the Isle's fortunes will change until Wang sells, hopefully he sells it to an owner who cares and WANTS to win. Times will be tough until that happens.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote