Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Anaheim Ducks Prospect Update

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 12:42 AM
AngelDuck

vCash: 500
We need to be patient with Roy that's for sure. Arguably the best small forward ever (MSL) didn't make it to the NHL full time until he was like 25. MSL didn't really break out until he was like 27. I'm totally cool with him spending all 4 years at Northeastern then playing in the AHL for a year, or two if he needs it.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:28 AM
Markus078

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Nowhere close to Andy Mac, but above average for sure.
Well, you can't judge it right now. Roy is doing better on a weaker team than Andy did in College.

Andy Mac
1996-97 Colgate University ECAC 33 9 +10=19
1997-98 Colgate University ECAC 35 13+19=32
1998-99 Colgate University ECAC 35 20+26=46
1999-00 Colgate University ECAC 34 25+33=58

Kevin Roy
2012-13 Northeastern University H-East 24 15+15=30

I know stats are not everything and Andy has this amazing speed. But Roy looks very good so far. Not many freshman are the team leaders. And he is it by a wide margin.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:40 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
We need to be patient with Roy that's for sure. Arguably the best small forward ever (MSL) didn't make it to the NHL full time until he was like 25. MSL didn't really break out until he was like 27. I'm totally cool with him spending all 4 years at Northeastern then playing in the AHL for a year, or two if he needs it.
That's not going to go over well on this forum. People will be demanding we sign him after his first or second year of college and then give him a shot in the NHL the next year. After all he will have "nothing left to learn or prove" once we sign him.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:52 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
That's not going to go over well on this forum. People will be demanding we sign him after his first or second year of college and then give him a shot in the NHL the next year. After all he will have "nothing left to learn or prove" once we sign him.
Maybe we should send him to Sweden, so there is no chance to be concussed

Old
02-12-2013, 01:54 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus078 View Post
Well, you can't judge it right now. Roy is doing better on a weaker team than Andy did in College.

Andy Mac
1996-97 Colgate University ECAC 33 9 +10=19
1997-98 Colgate University ECAC 35 13+19=32
1998-99 Colgate University ECAC 35 20+26=46
1999-00 Colgate University ECAC 34 25+33=58

Kevin Roy
2012-13 Northeastern University H-East 24 15+15=30

I know stats are not everything and Andy has this amazing speed. But Roy looks very good so far. Not many freshman are the team leaders. And he is it by a wide margin.
I was saying that his speed is nowhere near Andy Mac's.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:22 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Kaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Maybe we should send him to Sweden, so there is no chance to be concussed
It`s not about Sweden, but staying with the previous team a bit longer before throwing in to the big game.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:44 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69

Old
02-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

EDIT: Wrong thread. D'OH

Old
02-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Paul4587

I haven't seen him play outside of a couple of periods right at the start of the year but realistically could he be as good as McDonald? McDonald was an all star centre for a couple of years who produced at a PPG pace and led a cup winning team in goal scoring. Not to mention he was one of the fastest skaters in the league. Those are very high expectations if people think he's going to be that good.

Also isn't Roy's freshman year the same age McDonald was in his sophmore year?

Old
02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
It`s not about Sweden, but staying with the previous team a bit longer before throwing in to the big game.
He wasn't thrown into the big game. He made the decision to come play in the AHL.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:47 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I haven't seen him play outside of a couple of periods right at the start of the year but realistically could he be as good as McDonald? McDonald was an all star centre for a couple of years who produced at a PPG pace and led a cup winning team in goal scoring. Not to mention he was one of the fastest skaters in the league. Those are very high expectations if people think he's going to be that good.

Also isn't Roy's freshman year the same age McDonald was in his sophmore year?
There's still a transition to the NCAA game from the USHL. Yes he's of Sophomore age. That doesn't take away from what he's doing right now. All I hear are reviews that say he's the best player on the ice when he plays. Will he be McDonald 2.0? Who knows. But McDonald didn't take off as a star right away either. Not sure if anyone expected him to be as good as he is.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Paul4587

McDonald took so long to get to star level because of concussion issues mainly. I remember from the first time I saw in an Anaheim jersey him I thought he was going to be a great player.

Edit: I guess what I'm asking is - is it realistic to be comparing him to McDonald at this point or is it more of a best case scenario? Obviously that's a hard question to answer but those who have seen him might be able to shed some light on his potential.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:30 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

I judge a player on what I see and not how he compares to a player we once had because they share of couple of similarities. This kid has great talent and I don't feel it's off-base to suggest he's going to make a solid pro. As long as you can skate it doesn't matter if you're small and this kid can skate. I think this is the only year in spends in college given his age and I'm real excited with the crop of rookies that are headed to Norfolk next season.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:52 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
I judge a player on what I see and not how he compares to a player we once had because they share of couple of similarities. This kid has great talent and I don't feel it's off-base to suggest he's going to make a solid pro. As long as you can skate it doesn't matter if you're small and this kid can skate. I think this is the only year in spends in college given his age and I'm real excited with the crop of rookies that are headed to Norfolk next season.
i see no reason to rush him. give me another year before placing him in the AHL

Old
02-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
Agreed. Take Cory Conacher as an example.

Let the kid develop, not just on the ice but physically. Play another year in college, than 1-2 full seasons in the AHL, then give him a shot depending on how he handles the pro game.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:01 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
McDonald took so long to get to star level because of concussion issues mainly. I remember from the first time I saw in an Anaheim jersey him I thought he was going to be a great player.

Edit: I guess what I'm asking is - is it realistic to be comparing him to McDonald at this point or is it more of a best case scenario? Obviously that's a hard question to answer but those who have seen him might be able to shed some light on his potential.
Definitely posted it as a best case scenario. In response to the MSL comparison. I think we don't necessarily have a superstar in the making on our hands.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:35 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Stephens: Frederik Andersen to head back to AHL Norfolk. Denmark didn't qualify for Sochi in 2014 but Andersen went 1-1-0 with 1.01 GAA, .960 SV%

Old
02-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
We don't have a choice in the matter. It's up to Kevin.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:54 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
I judge a player on what I see and not how he compares to a player we once had because they share of couple of similarities.
Yes, just because a guy is smallish and in the NCAA, doesn't mean he compares to Andy Mac. I mean, why not compare him to a Jason Krog? It's just as valid ... but a lot less encouraging. He put up big numbers as a small guy in the NCAA too, and appeared to have plenty of speed/skill, but of course at the NHL level he was in over his head.

Speed and skill is fine ... but once you have enough of both, it comes down to whether or not you can see the game at NHL game speed, and thus properly utilize those talents. The difference between a skilled little speedster who reads the play well, and an identically skilled guy who just can't quite see/process things in the bigs, is the difference between a long career on a scoring line or a brief career spent mostly putting up numbers in the AHL.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:58 PM
TesseracT
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Which number does Ludwig Karlsson wear?
Sorry for the late response. He's #45 if you get a chance to watch NU again. He's injured at the moment though. He's been sorely missed...especially last night.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
Yes, just because a guy is smallish and in the NCAA, doesn't mean he compares to Andy Mac. I mean, why not compare him to a Jason Krog? It's just as valid ... but a lot less encouraging. He put up big numbers as a small guy in the NCAA too, and appeared to have plenty of speed/skill, but of course at the NHL level he was in over his head.

Speed and skill is fine ... but once you have enough of both, it comes down to whether or not you can see the game at NHL game speed, and thus properly utilize those talents. The difference between a skilled little speedster who reads the play well, and an identically skilled guy who just can't quite see/process things in the bigs, is the difference between a long career on a scoring line or a brief career spent mostly putting up numbers in the AHL.
Since we're comparing, Krog went 4-20-24 in 35 games in his freshman year, as a 20 year-old.

edit - I get your point, though. And actually I think Krog is a guy who incubated so long that his dominance in situ dazzled his would-be suitors more than it should have. Like you said, once it became clear he had done all he could do, it was time to move him on to somewhere more suitable (but of course, he wasn't drafted like Roy was).

Old
02-13-2013, 11:42 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
How would that be rushing him? He's going to be 20 in May and is already dominate at the NCAA level. He should move on to the AHL and continue his development. Solid prospects don't play very long at the college level. If playing in the AHL next year affects him negatively then he's never meant to amount to anything.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:44 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Quote:
How would that be rushing him? He's going to be 20 in May and is already dominate at the NCAA level. He should move on to the AHL and continue his development. Solid prospects don't play very long at the college level. If playing in the AHL next year affects him negatively then he's never meant to amount to anything.
I'm actually gonna agree with this. I think Kerdiles needs more time in the NCAA, but if Roy is playing this well as a freshman straight out of the USHL, I mean, is there really that much that the NCAA can teach him that the AHL can't?

Old
02-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I'm actually gonna agree with this. I think Kerdiles needs more time in the NCAA, but if Roy is playing this well as a freshman straight out of the USHL, I mean, is there really that much that the NCAA can teach him that the AHL can't?
But again, a lot of what will allow him to be a solid pro is to be ready physically for the toll the pro's will take.

No one doubts his offensive ability, but that doesn't make him a suitable pro alone. He just needs time to grow into his body. No sense in signing him or pushing him into an AHL role when there is no need to do so.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:34 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
But again, a lot of what will allow him to be a solid pro is to be ready physically for the toll the pro's will take.

No one doubts his offensive ability, but that doesn't make him a suitable pro alone. He just needs time to grow into his body. No sense in signing him or pushing him into an AHL role when there is no need to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
this. he's shown he's capable offensively so far. but he could really benefit from a lighter schedule to physically develop. if he puts in a full year to just working out and getting stronger, i think that could be great for his development.

Closed Thread