HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

An Idiot Abroad

Old
01-16-2012, 10:25 PM
MoonlightGraham

vCash: 500
Karl Pilkington on infinity, one of my favorite Karl and Ricky moments:

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:43 AM
Osprey

An Idiot Abroad lives! You'll remember from this thread from the Summer that An Idiot Abroad was ending and that there wasn't going to be a Season 3. I had no idea that anything had changed, so I was completely surprised and thrilled to see a commercial for it on TV last night. I believe that the date given was Jan 19th. Like previous seasons, it ought to be on The Science Channel in the States and Discovery Channel in Canada.

Here's the "first look" (commercial/trailer) and an interview explaining the change of heart:

Last edited by Osprey: 11-24-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:02 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Awesome!

Thanks for the heads up. Love this show.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Shareefruck

It's crazy that he just keeps going back.

I re-read the first part of the thread thinking it was different and got angry at the posters here all over again, so I'm going to reiterate what I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
The fact that some people don't like Pilkington and think he's JUST a moron who you're supposed to simply laugh AT makes a little piece of me die inside.

He has more of a Larry David impression on me. When he isn't saying something hilariously absurd (and sometimes when he is), he's absolutely right, and I almost wish more people would let their inner Pilkington out to keep things honest.

Obviously you're not going to agree with his crazy theories/explanations, but some of his frustrated moaning about more simple things like false fun, thrill-seekers, easily-offended political correctness, simple pleasures, mindless cultural habits absolutely dead on.

Love the guy.
To the people calling him a moron, I'm pretty sure I'd consider him a more sensible, thoughtful, and respectable (and obviously, likeable) human being than you are. In fact, I respect him more than Steve Merchant, who I have no real problem with.

He's more in tune with life than most people by being out of tune with the things about life that aren't worth being in tune with.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 11-24-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 12:35 PM
paradeofwolves

YES! I was so worried season 3 would never happen.

paradeofwolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Osprey

I'm bumping my thread (again) to remind everyone that Season 3 starts/started tonight [EDIT: now last night, Saturday]. I'm a bit late, since the season premiere has already aired in most places, but you'll have plenty of opportunity to catch it again on repeats tonight, during this upcoming week and, likely, next Saturday, before Episode 2.

Last edited by Osprey: 01-20-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

Loved the 3rd season premiere, it's too bad this is going to be the last season. I could watch these two for quite some time.

Bizarro Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Osprey

I loved the premiere, as well. I was afraid that I wouldn't, so I was pleasantly surprised. The addition of Warwick adds a fresh spin, but Warwick, himself, doesn't add a whole lot, except as a figure to make Karl even more frustrated and say even stupider things. The show is still the same, essentially, except with Karl airing his frustrations to Warwick instead of directly to the camera or cameramen. It's amazing how insensitive Karl can be to and talking about Warwick without even realizing it... things like "you'd think that he'd be OK in small places." It shouldn't be funny, but is (in a "I can't believe that he just said that" way) because he doesn't mean it in a bad way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro Bandwagoner View Post
Loved the 3rd season premiere, it's too bad this is going to be the last season. I could watch these two for quite some time.
Did you read somewhere that this would be the last season? I have little doubt that they would say that, but since they originally cancelled Season 3 and then when ahead with it, even if they say that this is the last, I have hope that they'll re-consider, like they did about Season 3. They may be out of ideas at the moment, but they're creative and I wouldn't rule out (and would hope for) a new idea to pop into their heads in the near future.

Last edited by Osprey: 01-20-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Shareefruck

I already watched the third series. I thought it was a little anti-climactic. Not a fan of Warwick Davis or his chemistry with Karl.

You know what would have been amazing? Steve Merchant and Karl Pilkington together, what with Steve always preaching how amazing travel is, how I get the impression that he would be every bit as chicken-**** as Karl about some of the things he had to go through, how Karl is BRILLIANT at insulting the guy (I imagine some great back-and-forth going on), and how Gervais would be a perfect behind-the-scenes mediator.

Honestly, it'd be perfect. Too bad it won't happen.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:24 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Did you read somewhere that this would be the last season? I have little doubt that they would say that, but since they originally cancelled Season 3 and then when ahead with it, even if they say that this is the last, I have hope that they'll re-consider, like they did about Season 3. They may be out of ideas, but they could always come up with a new one.
I havent heard much about that, but he does have a new travel show without Ricky and Stephen called 'The Moaning of Life'.
http://www.digitalspy.ca/british-tv/...g-of-life.html

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Shareefruck

1:40 was hilarious

Old
01-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I havent heard much about that, but he does have a new travel show without Ricky and Stephen called 'The Moaning of Life'.
http://www.digitalspy.ca/british-tv/...g-of-life.html
Oh, nice. Essentially, it sounds like An Idiot Abroad, except without Gervais and Merchant. Come to think of it, Merchant wasn't in the first episode of An Idiot Abroad 3 at all and Gervais was in it a little less than usual. Perhaps Merchant's and Gervais' other projects are what initially cancelled Season 3, then they realized that they could still do it, albeit without as much involvement from the two of them... and, maybe, they won't be available at all this coming year, hence Sky1's decision to make a show with only Karl, changing the name as a formality. Here's hoping, at least. The important thing is that Karl is still up for doing this kind of show.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Shareefruck

Do you guys really think there's that much more juice that can be squeezed from this lemon, though? I like to listen to pilkington talk nonsense as much as the next guy, but this seems to be getting redundant. He's got funnier and more interesting things on his mind besides just travel.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Congress tart.

02-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Osprey

Disappointingly, Season 3 was only 3 real episodes long. There's a 4th, but it's commentary with Gervais about the 3rd episode and it appears as though Discovery/Science chose not to show it over here in North America. You can find it online, though...

https://www.google.com/search?q="An+..."A+Commentary"

Also, according to tvguide.com, there's something called An Idiot Abroad: Lost Luggage on tonight, next Saturday and the Saturday after that. From the description, it sounds like compilations of unused footage of trips from previous seasons.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Quote:
Do you guys really think there's that much more juice that can be squeezed from this lemon, though? I like to listen to pilkington talk nonsense as much as the next guy, but this seems to be getting redundant. He's got funnier and more interesting things on his mind besides just travel.
Yeah, it could have a bit more for another season or two. Putting him in awkward situations are where some of the stuff comes out.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Yeah, it could have a bit more for another season or two. Putting him in awkward situations are where some of the stuff comes out.
I would like to see them pull off an educational program where Pilkington discusses topics with professionals/historians/scientists.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:39 AM
Osprey

I just watched the first episode of An Idiot Abroad: Lost Luggage. Disappointingly, it's just a Season 2 episode without any new footage. The only difference is that, at two points, before going to commercial, we're shown 1-minute segments of Ricky and Karl discussing topics in Ricky's home library. One has Ricky informing Karl that The Science Channel has gotten complaints because the show has no "science" in it, to which Karl responds that the world has enough science and the channel would be boring with only science, and the other has Karl making fun of Ricky for having "14" globes in his library when he doesn't like traveling and you can't take them with you. They're funny, but only worth it if you don't mind watching an episode that you've seen before. I just thought that I'd mention it so that anyone who missed it or can't see it (as it may be a Science Channel exclusive) doesn't think that they're missing anything, since they're (you're) not.

Quote:
I would like to see them pull off an educational program where Pilkington discusses topics with professionals/historians/scientists.
That could work. That's actually a good idea. There are all kinds of shows where hosts go around and have historians/scientists/etc explain what they're doing. It'd be a fun twist to have a host who's a buffoon. For example, I could see Karl visiting a paleoanthropologist, being shown a shaped stone that ancient cavemen used and maybe suggesting that they used it to scratch their bollocks or something.

Another idea, along the same lines, might be a Dirty Jobs-like show, where Ricky or someone sends him around the UK or even the world to perform weird jobs, perhaps where he doesn't even know what he's going to do until he gets there. In the repeat that I just saw, Karl showed up at the Hare Krishnas and, to his surprise and disgust, ended up making "cakes" out of cow dung. That could be a kind of template to repeat and build a new show or further "Idiot" season around.